• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Concentration and Focus: A lesson for life and Smash

Myztek

Smash Ace
Concentration/Focus: A lesson for life and Smash

I want to begin this with the conversation that spurred my thoughts on it: The other day I was playing Melee with a friend of mine, Iori. Iori is the best Smash Bros. player in my area. As we were playing, Iori would continually make comments about things that were happening in the match. He always does this, so in the past I had never really thought much of it, but something hit me this time. Often he would commentate on something, such as a combo, and I wouldn't even remember it happening. After one of the matches had finished, I turned to Iori and asked, "Iori, would you say you're a pretty concentrated person?" He simply replied, "Yes." I continued with, "Do you ever have scattered thoughts a lot? Is it hard for you to focus on something?" Iori said "No. I have a one track mind all day."

After that brief conversation, I had a bit of a eureka moment, and it was a good feeling. Lately, I've been thinking a lot about what separates the best players from average players. I thought I had pretty much nailed it with my previous topic "Zoning/Spacing and Other Fundamentals." [which I still highly recommend reading], but I honestly feel like the realization I made is the root of anything we are successful with in life.

So what is concentration? I'm sure that most of you have been told throughout your life that "You can do anything you put your mind to!" or "You need to concentrate more in school!" - among other various things. A lot of us, myself included, have always taken phrases such as these to mean "Try harder!" or "You can do better than that." Which can be instantly dismissed with a thought like "Well, obviously. I know I have to try harder to perform better." However, concentration goes much deeper than this. It's not just about trying harder. It's about making the task at hand the only thing that exists in your mind, and this is far from easy.

Whenever you hear talk of someone who is at the top of their game, often times you'll hear remarks about their impenetrable focus. Single-pointed concentration is a trait that anyone at high-level possesses. It's an ability to ignore the crowd, ignore the fact that your friends are watching you, ignore the pressure presented by these things, ignore the fact that the person you're playing against is supposed to be better than you, and ignore everything besides the actions taking place in the game. The problem, however, is that every day, every time we do something, our conscious mind is jumping around and giving attention to thoughts that aren't relevant to what we are trying to accomplish. This is what causes poor concentration - we feed thoughts that distract us, which in turn causes us to lose focus and perform poorly. An easy example would be going into a match thinking you're going to lose. If you go into a match with this mentality, then that thought will pass through your mind repeatedly while you are playing. It distracts you from what your focus should be; which is watching your opponent's character and searching for mistakes, making note of why and when you get punished so you can avoid it, trying to find habits in your opponent's play-style that you can take advantage of, etc.

So why is it so hard to focus? It takes a lot of energy. It's not easy. A lot of us can only maintain solid concentration for a very short period of time before our minds begin to wander and our subconscious/unconscious mind begins to take over. This brings me to my next point, which is basically a theory of sorts that I have come up with:

Conscious vs Subconscious thinking​

Let's say there are two types of thinking: Conscious and subconscious (or unconscious if you prefer). Conscious thinking is somewhat hard to define, but it's basically thinking actively. When you're thinking about something consciously, you give it full attention, you're focused on it, fully aware of it, and you remember it better when you're finished concentrating on it. The subconscious can be thought of like this: It's storage for all the thoughts that you have thought about consciously, and usually the preferred method of thinking because it takes little to no energy. A Smash-related example of this would be learning how to drill shine with Fox. If you're learning it for the first time, you won't be able to do it well, or at all, right off the bat. However, once you've consciously thought about it, have focused on it, and have practiced it numerous times, it becomes second nature. Why? You've ingrained this ability into your subconscious. You no longer have to focus on it to be able to do it. You can simply think to yourself, "I'm going to do a drill shine." and you can do it. Whereas, before you had practiced and focused on it, you would have to focus on each movement; from the short hop, to the fast fall, to the L-cancel. Thus, tech skill and game knowledge are important. Once you've ingrained tech skill and game knowledge into your subconscious, you can aim your conscious thinking to more important things.

The issue for a lot of players is that they are focusing on the wrong thing, or they aren't focusing at all and letting their subconscious do the work (aka auto-pilot). A lot of people prefer to play on auto-pilot, because it's easier to do and takes less mental energy. This is also a reason for poor performance when people are heavily focused on tech skill. Instead of focusing on the things that matter, like what they can do to counter their opponent, they are focused on doing their flashy tech skill properly. The key is not only to focus, but to focus on the right thing, and clear the thoughts from your mind that take away from your focus.

I feel as though I could go rather deep into this subject, but I hope that this gets my main point across. Concentration is a key component to success that many of us lack, and sometimes we unknowingly lack it. Improvement can be made exponentially faster if focus is aimed at the correct things, and you will perform better in your matches if you can clear your mind of the pressure and thoughts that do nothing but distract you from playing at your best.

EDIT: I forgot to throw this in, but if you're looking to improve your concentration, there are numerous articles and suggestions for exercises to help with this. Among which are things like meditation, visualizing things, etc. Too many to list.

I've hidden the original article, but left it in tact in case anyone wants to read it. Here is the new one!

The Importance of Focus: Types and Explanation​

I've already defined concentration, but I'll reiterate first. Concentration is the ability to clear your mind of all thoughts aside from what you are currently doing. Every source I've read since writing the original post has reaffirmed the ideas I've been having, so I'm going to try my best to relay the knowledge I've gained in a manner that can be related to Smash.

Why is concentration so important? If our concentration is harnessed and aimed properly, we can put ourselves "in the zone." Everyone has had a time when they felt as though they were in the zone. You're on top of your game, and you feel as though you are playing flawlessly. So why aren't we always in the zone? Why do we have times when we're in a slump or we feel as though we just can't play well at all? Let's cover a few things before we get to that answer.

There are a few different types of concentration: Internal, external, narrow, and broad. These come together to form four combinations of focus. Narrow-internal, broad-internal, narrow-external, and broad-external.

I'll define these things before I continue

Internal / External: This determines whether your focus is taking place in your mind, internally, or if your focus is taking place outside of your mind, externally. An example of internal focus would be trying to think of a way to approach your opponent or contemplating strategies before going into a match. An example of external focus would be one such as seeing your opponent miss a tech, then immediately punishing it, or seeing your opponent roll, then punishing it. So, basically, internal focus is using your mind/thoughts to find an answer or plan for something. External focus is reacting to visual cues or your surroundings. The important difference here is that external focus takes little to no thinking, only reaction, whereas internal focus requires you to spend mental energy in your mind looking for a solution.

Narrow / Broad: Then comes narrow and broad focus. Whether you're focused internally or externally, your focus is also either narrow or broad. Narrow focus takes a very limited number of options into account. Broad focus takes a very broad number of options or possibilities into account. Easy enough, right? So how do these all tie together? I'll explain each.

Narrow-internal: This type of focus takes place in the mind, as it is internal, and considers a very limited number of things. An example would be trying to find out why you're getting punished for a specific action. For the sake of a visual, imagine that every time Falco comes at your with a down-air, you try to shield grab it and get shined. You can narrow your thinking down to that single action and then figure out why it's happening and what to do about it. A simple solution would be not trying to shield grab, and, instead, rolling away, waiting, or whatever solution you come up with. The point is, this requires internal thought to find a solution. Once you've learned a solution, however, you no longer have to narrowly think about it. You can simply act. But we'll get into that a bit deeper soon.

Broad-internal: This is basically the same as narrow-internal, only you are thinking about the "bigger picture" or a larger number of options and trying to come up with a plan or solution for it. A quick example off the top of my head would be: You have a lot of trouble with a certain matchup. Currently, you don't know why, nor can you think of just one specific reason you are losing. Thus, you analyze the matchup as a whole (which makes it broad) and try to come up with a better approach in the matchup.

Narrow-external: In this type of focus, you pay attention to a small number of options, or maybe just one option, and react to it. This takes no thought. Simply, you see an action take place, and you immediately react to it. Example: Your opponent has missed a tech and is lying on the ground of the stage. You watch intently and wait for your opponent to either perform a get-up-attack, roll, or just stand up. You are only watching for a limited number of options here. Again, I stress that this is external. Internal and conscious thinking are not required to react to visual cues. It's basically automated.

Broad-external: Just like narrow-external, only you are taking a large number of options into account. An example could be that you and your opponent are standing in positions where either one of you could do a number of things. Your opponent could run away, approach, shield, throw out attacks, jump, wavedash, roll, etc. But the fact of the matter is, you don't have to consciously think about it. You just have to watch, wait, and react appropriately. This is why limiting your opponent's number of options is so important. The less options you have to watch for, the more likely you are able to react properly.

Okay, hopefully I've made this easy to understand so far. I'm going to breach a few more relevant things to clear everything up.

So why is it important that there are internal and external types of focus? Ideally, we want to remain in an external type of focus while we're playing. This is the key to being "in the zone." You lose yourself in the game. Your inner self doesn't exist when you're in the zone. All of your mental energy is concentrated externally. This is good, because when we eliminate internal focus, we have also eliminated the possibility of thoughts like "Wow, I'm not playing well today." or "I keep messing up my techs!" or "I can't believe I'm winning right now. This can't be right?" or "The crowd is really pissing me off." or whatever other internal thought you may have. Whenever you are required to switch your focus to internal, you have essentially left the zone. It doesn't matter if you are using narrow-internal focus to figure out why you're getting hit by f-smashes repeatedly. You are still leaving the zone to use internal focus to find a solution to a problem. And, often, when we switch to internal focus, we open a gateway to other internal thoughts that spring forth from association. If you are switching to internal focus, even to figure out a better way to win the match, you open the possibility of getting frustrated with yourself, nervous, anxious, and so on. But, if you can clarify your internal focus to a point that you don't let other thoughts creep into your mind, then it is all for the good of the match. You are still leaving "the zone" to do so, but the key here is to be able to internalize a solution, incorporate it into your game, and seamlessly re-enter external focus. This is adaptation at its finest.

This, also, is why being good at tech skill and controlling your character is very important. This is also why people advocate experience so much. If you are able to do these things without thinking, and if you have a ton of experience with the best reactions for given situations, then you don't need to shift your focus to an internal one to figure out what you should do or to make sure you're not messing up your tech skill.

Being externally focused also improves your reaction time. If there is no internal thought taking place trying to figure out what you should be doing, then you can perceive a situation more intently. The best example, or analogy, that I've come across for this is the following: Imagine that your mind is a camera with the ability to take 60 "pictures" per second. If you are 100% externally focused, then all 60 of those "pictures" are of the external situation. This allows you to catch a roll or tech better - among other things. Whereas, if you have internal thoughts crossing your mind, you can miss some of these external "pictures." These internal thoughts, especially the irrelevant ones such as worry, are the reasons for poor concentration, distraction, and weaker performance.

I hope this helps, and I hope I've given a clear explanation. Get in the zone and win, my friends! Improved focus helps in Smash and in life.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Interesting.. I felt chills when I read this because of how true it is and not many can tap into this. It feels like for once I'm reading what i've been trying to tell to people for a while now, so it's comforting that I'm not the only crazy person here. lol.

For me, when I imagine something, I don't imagine words.. I imagine an image of how things happen. I imagine myself stronger than I actually am right now so that I have something to work towards. If I want to reach that particular point, I tell myself: "What do I have to do?" And then usually the answers are instantly there, it's just a matter of working hard.. and then once that point is reached then another point gets created. Giving yourself realistic goals along the way is extremely inspiring, well at least to me, it helps a lot. It's kinda like a checklist of smash.. if you can do this then move on to something else until everything is mastered.

I'll get back to the conscious/subconscious thing.. I'm not sure if it's right or not.

Using proper focus in the daily life is even x100 harder.. lol. If you can master that, you could become a saint. =P

TLMarth

Smash Ace
For me, I think it clarifies it best when I speak it out loud: 'He keeps landing behind me.' 'He keeps rolling when I use Roy's side-b.'

TheIceCreamMan

Smash Cadet
Ellicott City, MD(summer)- Quincy, MA(fall-spring)
I feel as though I could go rather deep into this subject, but I hope that this gets my main point across.
This actually makes me a little sad, I was really into it and it suddenly stopped xD Can you expand on this post? that would be amazing of you :D

You got some amazing stuff going on in that head of yours and I want to hear it :p lol

Great post o.^b

Semosh

Smash Rookie
I highly agree with this post. It makes alot of subjects clear regarding new games that come out. People who are able to concentrate as well as maintain focus, and hold a basic or high level of zoning, are able to pick up games more quickly than others. As well as have a great pot. to become great. Good read. Needs more guides. =P

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Short but sweet. It's actually a skill most athletes have to learn to tap into, and it's what separates the greats from the best. In between tennis points federer has often stated how his mind starts to wander into worrying about what's going to happen next, what happens if he loses, etc. He says it happens the most right before the championship point, which sucks because that's when the most is on the line haha

Myztek

Smash Ace
@Divinokage, thank you for the awesome response!

@IceCreamMan, I will definitely expand on this if you guys would like. Soon as I get some more free time. I've been reading a LOT on concentration/focus/"flow"/mindfulness and so-forth after writing this. Almost all of it ties in to this, so it's not really a new idea. But I hope I worded it, so far, in a way that is easily understandable. I feel like I could definitely stress and expand on a few points a bit more.

Anyway, thanks for the input thus far guys. I would like to hear more!

Myztek

Smash Ace
I didn't want to expand on this post immediately, because I wanted to have time to run through things in my mind and get all of the information straight. I've been doing a lot of reading the passed few days and a lot of thinking. I feel like my understanding has reached a new level, so this afternoon I will be rewriting the original post.

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
Interesting.. I felt chills when I read this because of how true it is and not many can tap into this. It feels like for once I'm reading what i've been trying to tell to people for a while now, so it's comforting that I'm not the only crazy person here. lol.

For me, when I imagine something, I don't imagine words.. I imagine an image of how things happen. I imagine myself stronger than I actually am right now so that I have something to work towards. If I want to reach that particular point, I tell myself: "What do I have to do?" And then usually the answers are instantly there, it's just a matter of working hard.. and then once that point is reached then another point gets created. Giving yourself realistic goals along the way is extremely inspiring, well at least to me, it helps a lot. It's kinda like a checklist of smash.. if you can do this then move on to something else until everything is mastered.

I'll get back to the conscious/subconscious thing.. I'm not sure if it's right or not.

Using proper focus in the daily life is even x100 harder.. lol. If you can master that, you could become a saint. =P
You don't even understand how I was actually looking for something JUST like this JUST now. I was going to explain how I can only play at my best when I'm tired or it's like 4am, that point where your mind is linear, focused on one thing, unfazed. But when I'm rested and at a tourney or whatnot, my thoughts scatter, think about what my fingers are messing up, I get scared and choke, then my reflexes are delayed because of it and I miss simple tech skill. Over and over. And it irritates me endlessly, to know I've surpassed someone but can't beat them during the day.

I'm looking forward to the rewrite, Myztek. I've been endlessly pondering my own ability ever since you posted Zoning/Spacing. I feel my actual skill dropped, but only because I'm missing something key that will let me surpass what was my best. Focus.

Edit: Bookmarking this too. Got a folder of this ****.

VA

Smash Hero
This is a pretty awesome post. I think it's put in to words some of what has held me back in the past and continues to do so. I've only been semi-conscious of exactly what it is that holds me back at tournament level but it's definitely a wide range of distracting thoughts, like "what will people say if I beat X player or if Y player beats me" instead of just focusing like I know I can. I have practiced focusing in friendly situations, so I know I can do it, I just get so offput by tournament situations such as being around other players that don't think highly of me and such.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
You don't even understand how I was actually looking for something JUST like this JUST now. I was going to explain how I can only play at my best when I'm tired or it's like 4am, that point where your mind is linear, focused on one thing, unfazed. But when I'm rested and at a tourney or whatnot, my thoughts scatter, think about what my fingers are messing up, I get scared and choke, then my reflexes are delayed because of it and I miss simple tech skill. Over and over. And it irritates me endlessly, to know I've surpassed someone but can't beat them during the day.

I'm looking forward to the rewrite, Myztek. I've been endlessly pondering my own ability ever since you posted Zoning/Spacing. I feel my actual skill dropped, but only because I'm missing something key that will let me surpass what was my best. Focus.

Edit: Bookmarking this too. Got a folder of this ****.
Why do you think your thoughts scatter? What's the actual problem here?

For me, I don't really focus on my fails anymore, I focus on the opponent and what he's trying to do. I mean if I do fail an input or a waveland for example.. then instead of getting frustrated, I'll do everything to regain my advantage.. because that's really the only way to keep the momentum going. The more I focus on my opponent, the more success I seem to have as of late. My mind is not scattered at all, it's just me and my opponent and sometimes I'm able to focus so much that it seems like I know everything. Let's call this a limit break. I've had several experiences where time seemed to stop, the music stopped playing and all I could hear is my Ganon beating the crap out of someone. And also several other times maybe not as extreme but I still felt like I could do relatively the same.

What happens to the quality of the mind when there is no promise for tomorrow? =P

Divinokage

Smash Legend
All you can do is your best, if your best isnt strong enough.. then you have to go back to the drawing board. The players that are more consistent is because they don't fail anything. Fails will happen all the time as smash is very precise in general. Having the ability to capitalize properly a fail like this is pretty important. It has been said already but ya people john all the time when they fail something and eventually it's just not as enjoyable... and when it's not as enjoyable then obviously you won't see what needs to be done because you focus too much on yourself. All the answers are already there, you just have to be able to recognize it fast enough. I also think it's the same in life... you aren't your thoughts, you think you are. Just sit back for a moment and focus on what you need to do in order to accomplish something you really want to do. If I say to someone.. man that dude really is a warrior. It means I already have in me the warrior traits because I'm able to recognize it in someone. It works for everyone... if you can truly recognize the strength of someone it means you already have them.

With that said, it's all about if you are willing to put the effort to reach that point or if not then you can play the victim all day and not accomplish anything.. point fingers at people just to make yourself feel better, depression.. etc. I'm sure everyone knows what needs to be done, it's all about if you are willing to constantly try to reach that point. This is what makes a powerful person.

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
tl;dr Don't fall into autopilot.

I know that this is my biggest struggle. I just kind of zone out and enjoy playing smash (which isn't bad) rather than focus on what my opponent is doing. I guess my biggest obstacle is my apathy towards winning; as long as the matches are close, I have too much fun to care about the outcome or what I could have done better.

Fuss

Smash Apprentice
When you actually pay attention to detail and use common sense like "What would I do if I was in this situation" sort of deals and use your head it kind of rolls out easier.

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
Why do you think your thoughts scatter? What's the actual problem here?
I simply can't tap that focus when I want to. It's either there, or not. It's also in the mindset. Like I said, in the midnight hours, fatigue narrows train of thought and such. So my true skill shows then. At any other given time where I need to play, it's usually not there. I previously blamed it on "I just can't seem to warm up." and I thought that was truly it. Then this shone a light on what I thought my issue was.

It hit me hardest when I played a few friendlies with M2K at G6 not long ago. He four stocked me each time. Now, I never expected to win, although I knew it wasn't impossible. But I also knew after each match, that I could have at least taken that stock. If I got past that, I could gauge maybe taking another. But I knew I could take that stock, but these stated blockades assisted in self-intimidation, loss of focus, and a slight loss of confidence. It hurts to know you could've gotten that hit in, if you didn't miss that damn L-cancel.

It's precisely as Myz stated:
This is good, because when we eliminate internal focus, we have also eliminated the possibility of thoughts like "Wow, I'm not playing well today." or "I keep messing up my techs!" or "I can't believe I'm winning right now. This can't be right?" or "The crowd is really pissing me off." or whatever other internal thought you may have. Whenever you are required to switch your focus to internal, you have essentially left the zone. It doesn't matter if you are using narrow-internal focus to figure out why you're getting hit by f-smashes repeatedly. You are still leaving the zone to use internal focus to find a solution to a problem. And, often, when we switch to internal focus, we open a gateway to other internal thoughts that spring forth from association. If you are switching to internal focus, even to figure out a better way to win the match, you open the possibility of getting frustrated with yourself, nervous, anxious, and so on. But, if you can clarify your internal focus to a point that you don't let other thoughts creep into your mind, then it is all for the good of the match. You are still leaving "the zone" to do so, but the key here is to be able to internalize a solution, incorporate it into your game, and seamlessly re-enter external focus. This is adaptation at its finest.
This, is my number one problem to growth. Getting past this^.
Let's call this a limit break.
And I've had those moments, before Kage. It's pretty much in the same caliber as well. Being a Falco usually mean this is a 0-death. :p

Excellent rewrite, Myz-mazing. I'm going to re-read this shortly after I eat.

Fuss

Smash Apprentice
You'd be surprised what you can accomplish with a positive mentality, actually believing something ie; "I'm gonna win and I don't give a **** how good they are" really goes a long way, you might not win but I bet you do damn good compared to what you would if you just go in thinking you're gonna get *****.

Myztek

Smash Ace
Glad you like it, Tac. It can't be stressed enough how much your mind affects your skill in Smash. After writing these articles and working on it myself, I've made improvements beyond what I've made in years.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
My friend once said before back in the day when he used to fight people a lot at school. He said time would slow for him and he was able to counter attack perfectly all the time and destroy people one shot because of it. That stuff is definitely real, it's not magic powers or anything lol.. it's pretty cool... Or like when you get so much adrenaline that your strength increases x10 and then for a few moments you can lift a car up or destroy doors np. The only problem is tapping into that at will. =P

Ryucloud

Smash Journeyman
A Place Where *****s Are Real=Rhode Island BABY!!!
I feel like getting into the Zone for me at atleast is when my focus and concentration is at its peak i repeat a saying in my mind that kinda creates my mindset and I would always get into that zone the game is all brain power the more you use your mind the more better you will perform just look at Dr.peepee and and his reactions in the game its simply
amazing

Ryucloud

Smash Journeyman
A Place Where *****s Are Real=Rhode Island BABY!!!
My friend once said before back in the day when he used to fight people a lot at school. He said time would slow for him and he was able to counter attack perfectly all the time and destroy people one shot because of it. That stuff is definitely real, it's not magic powers or anything lol.. it's pretty cool... Or like when you get so much adrenaline that your strength increases x10 and then for a few moments you can lift a car up or destroy doors np. The only problem is tapping into that at will. =P

Dude I feel like the movie "WANTED" is a great example of being in the Zone it all your Reactions

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
I understand this further and I think I have a small analogy/scenario for it, in addition to the ones given already.

Think of a classroom setting, and you didn't study for the lesson being taught today. When you're thinking internally, you're in "learning mode".

So you're busy learning from the teacher, as you do so, the classroom is filled with students as well. However many. Since you don't know/understand the material enough yet to do the classwork without thinking about how/why/what (external thinking), the opportunity of fellow classmates distracting you is always present.

Your friend next to you asks you a question while you're internally thinking. You're not in the zone, so your thoughts turn attention away from the teacher and to your friend. You miss a vital part in the lesson and now you're confused/scrambled to find your place again. This happened because you didn't study last night. This can repeat over and over because you're trying to internally think when you shouldn't be.

(For the sake of this "analogy", of course you should be trying to learn. But just saying that you shouldn't be learning when you should be doing classwork that's supposed to be done at the moment.)

Now compare that to what would be if you did study the material last night. When you got to class, you understood the material so you have no need to learn (think internally about the work in front of you).

You can think externally and do the classwork almost second nature.

V

Because it requires little thinking effort.

V

Because you studied the work last night.

Thus, when your classmate asks that question about what you did on Saturday, you can answer it while (externally) doing the work in front of you. Or even leave the "zone", answer the internally challenging question, and get right back into the zone.

Phew. Just had to get that off my chest. I could go a lot deeper, but this is kind of just...a mini-summary for someone who couldn't quite grasp the OP.

Sound about right? If not, please correct me.

Myztek

Smash Ace
@Tac: I'm really glad you're grasping the concept. I don't think many people have. I'll give an example that makes a lot of sense too. Internal = thinking, problem-solving, analysis. External = awareness, taking action, reaction.

Imagine that a samurai is being chased down by a group of men. The samurai makes his way into a forest and is now standing in the middle of a bunch of trees.

At this point, the samurai could be focusing internally or externally. Let me clarify the difference.

If the samurai were focusing internally, he would be thinking things like "Which way will they come from?" or "Will they approach me from the back or the side?" or "I wonder if someone will come out from behind that tree?" This is all internal thought, problem-solving thought, critical thinking, and it will probably get him killed. He wouldn't be doing this if he were highly-skilled. This kind of mind clutter distracts from the moment.

So if he were focused externally, which he should be, then there would be no thoughts like this. Instead, he would be aware of his surroundings. The only thing that would exist in this moment would be the sounds around him, the range of vision he currently has, leaves crunching in the distance, and so forth. He is 100% in the moment. Aware of everything around him, and ready to deal with anything that happens in this external environment. He already knows all the possible ways that someone could approach, so there's no need to think about it. It's simply a waste of time and a distraction to think about every little possibility - and furthermore, analyzing everything like this will sprout worries, nervousness, and anxiety. Those kind of feelings take away from the calm, aware state that he wants to be in.

The same applies in Smash. If you already know the options your opponent has in a given situation, you don't need to THINK about what the person will do. Instead, you watch and react and take action.

Be aware when you play. Be ready to react when you play.
Don't analyze every little thing while you play. Don't get caught up on one thought when you play.

And it is infinitely important to NEVER focus on a negative thought. Thoughts like to blossom into other thoughts. One negative thought can trigger many other negative thoughts. If a negative thought crosses your mind, let it come and go. Don't give it any attention. If you tell yourself you can't beat someone, you will instantly play worse against them. If you tell yourself that you can't do anything right, you won't do anything right. If a mistake happens, DROP it. Learn from it if you can, and then drop it immediately. Dwelling on useless things is what causes frustration, nervousness, and poor execution.

Keep yourself in a positive mindset, know that you have the capability to beat anyone, and be aware when you play.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
Myztek I have now read all your guides and know all your secrets, prepare to be annihilated! mwahahahahaha!

Seriously though, we need to play more. See you saturday.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Good read. When you say "in the zone" you are referring to a mental state called "flow" (at least that's the term psychologists use to describe it). There is interesting research being done studying flow; I know I've recently read a study that analyzed fMRI data of hardcore gamers playing an FPS. I can try to find that again if you're interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

I'm a little curious, did you come up with those categories for concentration? Or have you read about them elsewhere?

I think you're on to something, but I disagree that you want to play only with external concentration. I find that I am playing my very best when I force myself to start thinking actively as I play. It helps me to really focus and pay attention to other players' habits, as well as my own.

Myztek

Smash Ace
@Winnar

I'm familiar with the concept of flow. It's synonymous with being in the zone, basically. I've done a lot of reading on the concepts behind it. I haven't heard of the study you mentioned, but I'd be interested in seeing the results.

As far as coming up with the categories, I didn't. I came across them while researching stuff. A lot of coaches use these concepts to train athletes and so forth. Basically I just brainstormed a lot of ideas, researched the ideas to see if my thoughts were backed by anything, then reiterated what I learned here to help others.

And as far as your last statement, I covered that in the article somewhere. The thinking aspect is problem solving. So yes, you will need to use that in order to come up with a working strategy. The idea of being externally focused is reacting to situations that you already know the best option to. Obviously no one knows the best option for every situation that will happen in the game, so you can't be externally focused 100% of the time.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
That's a pretty darn interesting way to analyze the thought process of Smashers. To believe that there are so many things going on in our head that we aren't even aware of.

Some of the things I usually get narrow minded about if when I'm paying attention to my opponent's percentage. I go from that casually focused mode into a "I gotta KO him." I guess that transition initially throws off my play and makes for a very unprofessional performance in a match. Likewise, when my opponents have opportunities I can take advantage of their conscious thoughts.

Overall, the joke of "mindgamez son" really has a multilateral definition. When we play as if each hit was out last hit, we tend to play smarter and perform better (much campier too). Being aware of internet and external ideas (inception?!?) definitely affects in our playing and how we play it. To an extent it helps and does not help us as a whole.

Maybe this can be the answer to over-hype in tournament matches or choking in a match. Though I would have loved to see 2nd level (inception) concentration in this topic. Though we're looking at a TV screen, we still hear audible comments like "go for the shine," "dat ain't falcon," and "he's going to nasa with that sleeping bag combo." Whether it's just argued to be conscious and self conscious things, these ideas will never fully be understood and I will continually confuse myself in this post. Thank you.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Just from reading that this is about focus I'll have to read it tomorrow. It's a topic no one ever talks about, but I think is the secret to the game and really everything if used well haha (it actually kinda gets into neuro plasticity and why we get better at things we practice)

I don't have the time to read all of this tonight, but if it's about what I think it's about, then my thread here kinda gives my (albeit fairly outdated as I've changed a lot through incorporating this stuff) thoughts on the subject: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=283912

in short, I believe you can practice the things that require focus, such as habit awareness, spacing, or really anything in life, to the point where that thing no longer requires focus, and you're capable of spending your focus to learn how to do other more focus intensive things naturally

I think what people are capable of can be very largely shaped by this, and level of motivation (which can also be shaped to the user's desire with this concept).

Keep in mind the less you do something, the worse you get at it, and this sorta applies to reading and stuff. Like it's not just tech skill you get rusty at, for a large amount of people, your general awareness (knowing when someone has done a move, in what order they've done them in, where they were when they did them, etc) goes down as well if you're not performing actions that continue to make connections in your brain for that kind of thing. Like generally (nothing is ever black in white in this world haha) you don't need to practice specifically, for instance, habit awareness to keep it fresh.

For the most part, if you just play the game continually, and try near the same level throughout, the mental aspects of the game'll stick with you, but if you stop playing at all, or you completely stop doing things that activate the same connections (like I try and keep myself relatively fresh by playing RPS a lot, and trying to remember what everyone did in what order. I stopped doing this, but continued practicing it in Brawl, and was still good at it in RPS. However when I stopped trying it in Brawl, and I stopped practicing it in RPS, my reading skills decreased in both games, which makes sense haha), the ones involving habit awareness (stopping or doing different things will obviously effect it to varying degrees), you'll likely gradually lose some ability to read people, for instance.

imo rustiness effects more than just tech skill, and for this reason haha. although it doesn't seem like much of a stretch. If our brain changes the way it works, its physical composition, based on the environment, then if we can help shape that environment, we should be able to shape how we naturally think, to an extent. seems like it'd make sense :p

maybe I'm just crazy, though haha

Top Bottom