• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Comprehensive "Guide" to Fixed and Set Knockback? (title pending)

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Does metaknight have any fixed moves? Tornado perhaps?

@Dyne: Sorry, was confused.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I haven't tested this, but Falco's laser and fox's laser may be set knockback. I know (for at least falco's laser) that knockback is NOT zero... just **** close.

For anyone that doesn't know this: to test knockback:
start a new game in VS
Hit an opponent with an attack
quit the game
under the hittee's stats screen find the one entitled "Max Launch Speed": this is the knockback of that attack.
You can now start a game in say, super sudden death mode, and repeat the process, if the knockback stays the same, it's fixed (if not set). Try it on some other character, if it's the same knockback, the attack has set knockback.

This way we can quantitatively gauge knockback, and ENSURE it's fixed/ set, in a way that everyone is testing in the same way, with no margin for error based on looking and guessing.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
You should fix the color coding on Wolf's entry.
Fixed, thanks for catching that.

All one-hit Jabs are NOT fixed (ie: Ganon's, Meta's, etc...)
What about G&W's?

And of course, his bite. Except for the last "hit"
I'm not counting pummels/grabs like that.

G&W's Jab and Dthrow.
How did we miss dthrow, and are you sure about dthrow? (lol I'm tired atm, I'm sure you're sure)

EDIT:

SCOTU, I thank you for teaching me how to test that.

:mewtwo:

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Is ganons side B not a "grab"?
It's a tech grab, executed by connecting another move first. This includes his and Captain Falcon's Up Bs (which do not have set knockback).

Technically, the grab itself has absolutely no knockback. It's what follows the grab that does (Side B either drags you down with him or throws you to the ground and Up B blows you away).

Someone should test whether or not Ganny's Side B actually has set knockback (or fixed). Do it by measuring the velocity at which people fall to the ground from it depending on % (0% vs. 999%). If they fall faster by even 1 frame depending on how much damage they have, then it's neither fixed nor set.

Oh, and Ikes Up B?
The Spiking part?
If it hits you into the ground, it's not set or fixed (since you'll bounce upwards at different strengths depending on what % you have by it unless I'm hallucinating due to a lack of sleep). If you get dragged down and spiked by it, well, then it's not fixed or set either, is it?

Barge

All I want is a custom title
If it hits you into the ground, it's not set or fixed. If you get dragged down and spiked by it, well, then it's not fixed or set either, is it?
Hmm, it's just that Kirbys final cutter was listed, and ike's is almost exactly the same, no? Except for obvious differences.

And bowsers down throw doesn't have fixed knockback.

Denzi

Smash Master
His freezing hammer hit.
I just confirmed this one (yes, hammer #8). I don't know if hammer #1 has any knockback, but if it does, than it's fixed.

The first hit of Yoshi's grounded down - B (the one that sets them up for the second hit).

joenopride

Smash Journeyman
Ganondorf's side-b can't be tested for "set knockback" using the max launch method.

Unless of course you take 0 mph on both percentages to mean that there is no knockback period. Then it's "set knockback".

The_Dyne

Smash Journeyman
What about G&W's?
His is technically a combo...

Diddy's jabs. All of them.
The first hit of his Fsmash (duh)
The first 2 hits of his Usmash (also duh)

And I guess it's #8. I really couldn't remember the number then.

I just confirmed this one (yes, hammer #8). I don't know if hammer #1 has any knockback, but if it does, than it's fixed.

The first hit of Yoshi's grounded down - B (the one that sets them up for the second hit).
#1 has no knockback. Oh, Bowser's downB first hit also.

SuSa

Ganondorf's side-b can't be tested for "set knockback" using the max launch method.
The fact you can't tech it, and it's always the same results on-stage, I'll figure its fixed rather then set.

Since we can't prove its set.

Even though its the same exact results every time on every character on stage. :laugh:

SCOTU, whats your verdict on this? :lick:

M15t3R E

Smash Master
All pummel attacks, lol.

Also, I noticed many attacks have the same knockback from at least 0-200%.
This includes attacks like Bowser and Charizard's fire breath/flamethrower, Pikachu's thunder jolt and quick attack, IC's blizzard, etc.
Shouldn't it be noted when a move has fixed or set knockback up to a % like 150 or 200? You're never gonna have to worry about fighting an opponent much beyond 150% anyway, unless you're having enormous trouble KO'ing them.

SuSa

So how come Ganon can't follow up with the same moves after side-b on different characters? Is that just a hitbox thing?
I would think so, considering he can ftilt/dtilt Samus only if she does a getup attack.

Completely uncharged Wario Waft for SET knockback (it just trips the opponent).

Wario's D-air, except last.
Thankee.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
i would gestimate it has to do with hitstun being different based on weight? idk.
Normal throws have different release speeds based on character weight, but idk if this has anything to do with it, and i doubt it.
Perhaps different characters can wakeup faster than others. unlikely.
In either case, It generates the same knockback for each character regardless of percent. I'd say it would HAVE to fall under set knockback.

Denzi

Smash Master
Formatting note: Peach is missing end parentheses on her Dair.

Ivysaur: First hit of neutral B (The hit that knocks them into Bullet Seed)
First hit of Bair.

All Confirmed (by me anyway)

TheUmbreonMonarchy

Smash Cadet
Jiggly's D-air = No.

Jiggly's Up-B? I'm going to guess set (It just puts the opponent to sleep; no knockback or damage what so ever, unless Scotu has a name for these kind of moves).

Top Bottom