• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Comprehensive "Guide" to Fixed and Set Knockback? (title pending)

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
First few hits of Peach's Dair (and, as has become increasingly clear, almost all moves with multiple hits)?

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Pit's Uair, except for last
D3's first jab only
ROB's weak Utilt
Added

I can confirm Mario's cape as well as his FLUDD.
Assuming Squirtle's Watergun as well then? (charged past the "burst" thing)

First few hits of Peach's Dair (and, as has become increasingly clear, almost all moves with multiple hits)?
I believe all multiple hits excluding the last hit of each.

:mewtwo:

TheUmbreonMonarchy

Smash Cadet
If you test Pika's Dsmash, you actually do receive increased knockback compared to 0 and 999% on all of the hits, and you will escape the Dsmash, even without DI.

Meta's Tornado, except last hit.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Lol Ivy's nair doesn't spike.. O.o
It's not a "spike" per se, but one of hitboxes of nair (where he's in an upright position) sends the opponent down - if they DI out of it, they get sent down quickly.

Adapt

Smash Lord
yeah most moves with multiple hits have at least some 0 growth hits. most of the middle hits are set, but there are a few exceptions.

ZSS's up-B for example is an exception because out of the 5 hitboxes, only 2 are set knockback. The second hit has the potential to kill around 420% on mario.

The_Dyne

Smash Journeyman
Lol, weak Utilt seems to be ROBs only fixed knockback move. Dsmash, jab, Uair, all increase.

Luigi cyclone = NO

SuSa

Yep, I was just thinking that as well.

That does seem to be the trend.
Squirtle's "Burst" watergun also seems to be set.

It didn't KO at 999%....

ps:

No, I'm not going to add transform moves -_-

OP Updated with a Special Thanks list at the bottom :)

EDIT:
Anyone want to make a list of all the multi-hit moves we're missing? Then others can tear it apart and prove "x" thing true and "y" thing false?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Squirtle's "Burst" watergun also seems to be set.

It didn't KO at 999%
Just because something does not KO at 999& does not mean it is set. The last hits of jabs don't KO at 999% for most characters, either.

In order for knockback to be set, it has always stay the same (save for differences between characters). Some moves just have very negligible escalation in knockback.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
He didn't word it the best way, but I'm sure that Squirtle's Burst is set.

SuSa

Wario vs Wario ledge attack above 100% = set. Tested at 0% and 999%, they went the same distance.
Thank you.

Just because something does not KO at 999& does not mean it is set. The last hits of jabs don't KO at 999% for most characters, either.

In order for knockback to be set, it has always stay the same (save for differences between characters). Some moves just have very negligible escalation in knockback.
Below quote :urg:

He didn't word it the best way, but I'm sure that Squirtle's Burst is set.
/end comments

EDIT:

How about Bowser/Char fire breath?

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
Right, I get where you're coming from.

EDIT: Charizard's Flamethrower is set.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Note the Difference between "Fixed Knockback" and "Set Knockback"

These two things mean slightly different things, which you have taken for granted. Fixed knockback moves always deal the same amount of knockback to a character regardless of percent (i.e. they have no knockback growth). Set Knockback attacks, on the other hand, always deal the same amount of knockback regardless of percent or character (i.e. they replace the knockback formula with a specific number). Something like Diddy's banana, has set knockback, where something like DDD's dthrow has fixed knockback.

I figured this'll help you make your list more comprehensive and complete.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
About Pikachu's d-smash- it is a multi-hit move that works like any other multi-hit moves. The knockback is negated by the other moves in the multi-hit move and the difference in knockback from 0% to 999% is virtually nothing. The character still is on top of Pikachu during the d-smash at any percentage, so geeze, it should still count. And even though you break out of it at 999%, all the hits before the final hit come out and deal the same knockback as it would at 0%.

SuSa

SCOTU said:
Note the Difference between "Fixed Knockback" and "Set Knockback"

These two things mean slightly different things, which you have taken for granted. Fixed knockback moves always deal the same amount of knockback to a character regardless of percent (i.e. they have no knockback growth). Set Knockback attacks, on the other hand, always deal the same amount of knockback regardless of percent or character (i.e. they replace the knockback formula with a specific number). Something like Diddy's banana, has set knockback, where something like DDD's dthrow has fixed knockback.
Anyone want to help me find the moves with SET knockback? lol

The_Dyne

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the thanks.

Luigi's first 2 jabs
MK's first 2 hits of Fair, Bair, Usmash
Samus' bombs don't work, Fair and Uair do though ( 'cept last hit )

EDIT: Dang, I've only been testing for fixed.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
Oh crap, thanks for that, scotu.

I guess this still makes Squirtle's burst and Charizard's Flamethrower "set", because it doesn't change based off of the character - DIing out of it might just be harder for larger characters because of the size of their hurtbox as opposed to the attack in question.

TheUmbreonMonarchy

Smash Cadet
You can visually see the knockback change in Pika's Dsmash very easily. Infact, it's not a little change, it's a big change in knockback.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Anyone want to help me find the moves with SET knockback? lol

Very, very few.

I just personally don't see any reason to differentiate between the two. It's not like it matters whether it's set or fixed as the results are still the same in fights; the opponent will always go flying the same distance no matter what %. I mean, it might kinda play a part in, I don't know, team matches where your teammate has to calculate how far that Pikachu will fly from that move of yours, but that's pretty much it.

However, scotu is, of course, perfectly right in that there's a difference between "set" and "fixed" knockback.

Also, it's 7:22 A.M. and I'm still awake, so please excuse me for, in my insomniac stupor, momentarily forgetting there was a difference between the two :p, although, technically, I've only argued about set knockback :p.

The_Dyne

Smash Journeyman
Kirby's dash attack, 'cept for last hit
And strangely, the physical attacks of Final Cutter

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
But regardless of the percentage, the opponent is still spinning around on top of Pikachu being electrified.
SRSLY, it's the same thing.
If the knockback increases depending on percentage, even if it's just slight, then it's not set or fixed. This needs testing.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
It also matters if it's fixed because if you SDI out at a high percent, and it's not fixed, you might be dead anyways.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
If the knockback increases depending on percentage, even if it's just slight, then it's not set or fixed. This needs testing.
It's like 1/4 of a Pikachu character length difference...
It also matters if it's fixed because if you SDI out at a high percent, and it's not fixed, you might be dead anyways.
This is a better argument than others I have seen. I wasn't sure if the "knockback" you receive from SDI'ing out of it was relevant. If it matters, then I guess it's not fixed.
What about Pikachus quick attack?
It's virtually the same knockback from the percentage range that really matters, which I would say is 0-150%. But TECHNICALLY, I suppose it's not fixed or set.

SuSa

What about Pikachus quick attack?
Nope, not that I can get.

But regardless of the percentage, the opponent is still spinning around on top of Pikachu being electrified.
SRSLY, it's the same thing.
I'll leave my comment out of this :/ lol

Kirby's dash attack, 'cept for last hit
And strangely, the physical attacks of Final Cutter
Thanks, retested with same results. (all but the "projectile" of FC have Fixed Knockback)

What needs testing?

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Confirmed: Toon Links boomerang on its way back to toon link

same distance at 0-999%

Lol @ quick attack at 999%, it sends them to the other side of the stage xDD

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Tested, knocback seems to be exactly the same only upon return for TL.

Also, I told you no on QA =p lol

I know, it's just so awesome though.

@Dyne, thunderjolt and QA don't have fixed KB, they increase as the damage increases

Top Bottom