• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Complete roster revealed? It was true!!!! (Except for Falcon/Olimar swap)

Status
Not open for further replies.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
^ Cos It's Just A Mock Up Designed To Show You What The Roster Would Look Like. ^

Magmar's Wrath

Smash Journeyman
^ Cos It's Just A Mock Up Designed To Show You What The Roster Would Look Like. ^
Then why didn't they add the Random button so that the Mock Up would look like the real thing? I know it's fake, I don't even care about the characters they picked. I'm just saying that if they really were aiming for the best look, including the Random button that's been in all Brawl line-ups would have made it look better.

kamekasu

Smash Ace
Then why didn't they add the Random button so that the Mock Up would look like the real thing? I know it's fake, I don't even care about the characters they picked. I'm just saying that if they really were aiming for the best look, including the Random button that's been in all Brawl line-ups would have made it look better.
Are you serious? That's not the purpose of the mock-up... It's not meant to look good, it's supposed to reflect the information that multiple 'leakers' have given us in the past weeks. Those leakers have yet to be disproved.

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
Because we didn't know it was fake when the first blurry screen was revealed moments before we all creamed ourselves, until the people at 2chan made it obvious by spamming the image turned at a ninety degree angle.

Corbin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
Honestly, if this 35 character roster is true, I just hope it's ROB64, and not the original R.O.B. Honestly, after people settle down cause their "shoe-in" character isn't in, who can really complain about a robot being playable in Brawl? Last time I checked, robots are pretty kickin.

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
Last time I checked, R.O.B. 64 was a NPC trophy. >:

I'm not a Krystal fan, but one can not honestly state that R.O.B. 64 has more entitlement to be in Brawl than Krystal with her journal mentions and poll results. She doesn't have to have a complete fabricated move set since she sort of has a farily decent one from Dinosaur Planet.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Man, it's going to be really funny if it find's out this roster's true.

I mean, I honestly haven't a good argument as to why it's NOT very likely.

Chepe

Smash Lord
NES R.O.B. is as out there as Game & Watch. Theyre not meant to be popular demanded characters, they are meant to be tributes to Nintendo's root successes in gaming. So dont use his obscurity or the foolish moveset argument against him.

Now, the Starfox character R.O.B.64 is truly such a minor character from a franchise that isnt worthy to get as many characters as Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. No one should believe that the R.O.B. on the 35 roster is from Starfox...

Rakath

Smash Ace
My issues with this roster set-up are simply political and numerical:

Political:
- Female Cast increase: ZERO
- Icon 19: Not covered.

Numerical:
- Mario Represetation: -1
- Star Fox Representation: +2

Why DECREASE the flagship series represetitive cast by one when there are two ready and willing reps to add to the roster (Geno and Bowser Jr.).
Why give a low game count series such as Star Fox 2 new reps, bring back a clone rep, not give them a female rep, not give them a rep that could bring a unique gameplay style, and leave Metroid at 1 rep in the dregs like F-Zero.
Why give two similar reps to Mother series (one of the LOWEST gamecount series) then not further increase the rep set for high game count series such as Fire Emblem.
Why ignore four of the higher voted characters on the list (Krystal, Ridley, Geno, Takamaru) after setting up so much hope bringing in the high count characters (Dedede, Diddy, Ike, Olimar, WW Link).

A fair count of these are poor fan caring choices, not outright impossible, just seeming to be REALLY stupid. R.O.B. is just rightly the straw on the camel here...

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
My issues with this roster set-up are simply political and numerical:

Political:
- Female Cast increase: ZERO
- Icon 19: Not covered.

Numerical:
- Mario Represetation: -1
- Star Fox Representation: +2

Why DECREASE the flagship series represetitive cast by one when there are two ready and willing reps to add to the roster (Geno and Bowser Jr.).
Why give a low game count series such as Star Fox 2 new reps, bring back a clone rep, not give them a female rep, not give them a rep that could bring a unique gameplay style, and leave Metroid at 1 rep in the dregs like F-Zero.
Why give two similar reps to Mother series (one of the LOWEST gamecount series) then not further increase the rep set for high game count series such as Fire Emblem.
Why ignore four of the higher voted characters on the list (Krystal, Ridley, Geno, Takamaru) after setting up so much hope bringing in the high count characters (Dedede, Diddy, Ike, Olimar, WW Link).

A fair count of these are poor fan caring choices, not outright impossible, just seeming to be REALLY stupid. R.O.B. is just rightly the straw on the camel here...

Agreed on all the bove. To me the 35-roster isn't ironcast just because a few prophets match up inside of it - that is not too difficult (even though it speaks in favor of it). What doesn't seem lucky is the two neogaf posters and a neogaf mod putting a lot at stake and PortraitofRuin listing the roster in a way that makes franchises line up vertically if you slide the newcomers into the CONFIRMED starting roster (the nine-second clip was sealed by the guide with the KO percentages).

That is just weird. BUT I still agree something is weird about the roster.

Boofer

Smash Ace
NES R.O.B. is as out there as Game & Watch. Theyre not meant to be popular demanded characters, they are meant to be tributes to Nintendo's root successes in gaming. So dont use his obscurity or the foolish moveset argument against him.

Now, the Starfox character R.O.B.64 is truly such a minor character from a franchise that isnt worthy to get as many characters as Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. No one should believe that the R.O.B. on the 35 roster is from Starfox...
Quoted for truth.

I REPEAT PEOPLE. R.O.B. is almost definitley NOT from Starfox. Therefore the "no 19th icon" argument is dead.

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
So I guess it's the R.O.B. of disc-operating "fame" that gets the spot (and the last icon)?

I guess he somehow is a PC even though he can be netted by getting a trophy stand thrown at him, AND despite the fact that he is the Coin tosser as well. Well, this is the smash series, after all- and nothing is for certain. Still, the 35-roster makes me go SAAAAAAAKURAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIII!!!! with pure anger.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Quoted for truth.

I REPEAT PEOPLE. R.O.B. is almost definitley NOT from Starfox. Therefore the "no 19th icon" argument is dead.
So barring the ROB64 arguement:

We give Mother (a series with 3 original releases and 1 remake release to its name) two reps, and Metroid (8 releases, 2 rereleases) 1 rep. Star Fox gets 3 strikingly similar reps, ignoring its one shot at a unique rep. We decrease the count of Mario reps by 1. Fire Emblem (10 unique releases) gets no new reps. And we make room for R.O.B. as a WTF character (when I think Olimar is more than enough WTF, and ROB pales in compare to Game&Watch, the second coming of WTF).

How does any of that make sense, at all.

omiz144

Smash Apprentice
After a little bit of thinking, I honestly do not care. I would enjoy the game with simply the already confirmed characters.

Any new additions to the already-on-the-DOJO characters is awesome to me!

Boofer

Smash Ace
Here's something I posted on Gamespot/gamefaqs regarding PortraitOfRuin's supposed final roster and it's similarities to the mock-up roster. For some reason, everyone has been ignoring my posts about POR's roster, even though she is apparently a reliable leaker:

Ok, I've made a similar thread to this one 2 days ago. This is a question for the people that believe in the 35 character roster. Do you think this will be the final arrangement? PortraitOfRuin is apparently reliable, but Bowser seems to be in a random spot, don't you think?

Mario | Donkey Kong | Link | Samus | Kirby | Fox | Pikachu | Marth | Mr. G&W

Luigi | Diddy Kong | Zelda | Pitt | Meta Knight | Falco | Pokemon Trainer | Ike | Solid Snake

Peach | Yoshi | Ganondorf | Ice Climbers | King Dedede | Lucario | Ness | Sonic | Bowser

Wario | WW Link | R.O.B. | Olimar | Captain Falcon | Wolf | Jigglypuff | Lucas |Random

Do you guys remember the logical mock-up roster? I think the mock-up makes almost too much sense, and there are many similarities between it and POR's supposed actual roster. Most of the series' form perfect columns, but there are some outliers. Bowser should be pushed down to the beginning of the fourth row to finish off the Mario Characters in the first column. The second column would make sense if Wario was moved over one space to complete what I would call "the Mario spin-off column." WW. Link would in turn be pushed to the right (again, just like the mock-up) to finish the Zelda column. etc...

I just noticed that the problem between the mock-up and POR's is Wolf! If Wolf were placed in between King Dedede and Lucario, this would shift all of the characters to the right to make perfect series-based columns. The only other difference between the mock-up and POR's is Captain Falcon and R.O.B. are reversed. POR's would make more sense after rearranging Wolf, as R.O.B. would fall directly under other nintendo history characters (Pit and Ice Climbers).

Boofer

Smash Ace

We give Mother (a series with 3 original releases and 1 remake release to its name) two reps, and Metroid (8 releases, 2 rereleases) 1 rep. Star Fox gets 3 strikingly similar reps, ignoring its one shot at a unique rep. We decrease the count of Mario reps by 1. Fire Emblem (10 unique releases) gets no new reps. And we make room for R.O.B. as a WTF character (when I think Olimar is more than enough WTF, and ROB pales in compare to Game&Watch, the second coming of WTF).

Believe me, I don't like it either, but it doesn't have to make sense to you or me. It made sense to the developers, so it is what it is..There is no representation rule. It's just how we fans try to predict who's going to be in the game.

iluvnintendo1983

Smash Journeyman
Believe me, I don't like it either, but it doesn't have to make sense to you or me. It made sense to the developers, so it is what it is..There is no representation rule. It's just how we fans try to predict who's going to be in the game.
It's sad when the fans can come up with better stuff then the developers who are being paid to come up with stuff.

Rakath

Smash Ace
But that's what makes this list unbelievable. Sakurai has been listening to the fans again, they set up a proper decorum for sending in ideas. Including Wolf over Krystal makes no sense. Including R.O.B. over Ridley makes no sense. While the list isn't foolproof, its illogical to say that a character with at least 3-4 good ideas will be tossed to the side for the Smash Bros equal to Waddle Dee (R.O.B.).

Also, there's is a Representation rule, its called NOT TICKING OFF YOUR AUDIENCE! The golden rule of making anything for the public to read/watch/play/enjoy is that if the public won't enjoy it, its a bad idea. I could understand R.O.B. getting in if with a 40-44 cast, maybe even a 38 cast. However putting R.O.B. in while there's all this papertrail of what Sakurai was looking at, and four good ideas for Ridley, three for Krystal... and ignoring them, will look bad.

I mean, do you think the Mario fans would be happy if the Mario cast in Brawl was suddenly Mario, Peach, Bowser. And at the same time Waddle Dee and BioSpark made it playable for Kirby's team? Or instead of adding to the Star Fox reps putting in another Earthbound rep? Tickin' off the fans can kill a game series.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Real or not, this is what I think of this darned roster:

If it's fake: Lulz@ the attention whores.
If it's real: I hope Nintendo sues NeoGAF for leaking info.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Real or not, this is what I think of this darned roster:

If it's fake: Lulz@ the attention whores.
If it's real: I hope Nintendo sues NeoGAF for leaking info.
Yes, yes, I agree.

(In a sick sort of way, though; after all, if this leak should prove accurate, it would technically be what we had been desiring for oh-so long--a legitimate leak. It just might happen, however, that what was leaked was highly undesirable in and of itself.)

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Yes, yes, I agree.

(In a sick sort of way, though; after all, if this leak should prove accurate, it would technically be what we had been desiring for oh-so long--a legitimate leak. It just might happen, however, that what was leaked was highly undesirable in and of itself.)
The only thing I desire in the roster is the character I'm hoping for. Sakurai could add a frackin' octorok and make the game 30 characters and I wouldn't think of it as a big deal.
Still, these guys are technically doing something illegal.

a77

Smash Cadet
Yeah, let's hope they get sued because we don't like the roster they gave us.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Yeah, let's hope they get sued because we don't like the roster they gave us.
Call me selfish if you want to, but even if I did like the roster they're still doing something illegal.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
Yes, yes, I agree.

Indeed. The smash bros swan song, perhaps the last one Sakurai will ever make. 100 people working on it full time (lots of man hours). 700 people involved. And you're telling me they catered to the fan suggestions just about as much as Melee? That they already expended all the surprises? That they bumped up the roster by 10? Despite twice the development time?

5@/\/\U5

Smash Apprentice
hopefully tomorrow's installment of "Iwata Asks" will shed some light on franchise he wanted to focus on/add to, characters not returning, or general character amount. we'll see

Brasil

Smash Cadet
But that's what makes this list unbelievable. Sakurai has been listening to the fans again, they set up a proper decorum for sending in ideas. Including Wolf over Krystal makes no sense. Including R.O.B. over Ridley makes no sense. While the list isn't foolproof, its illogical to say that a character with at least 3-4 good ideas will be tossed to the side for the Smash Bros equal to Waddle Dee (R.O.B.).

Also, there's is a Representation rule, its called NOT TICKING OFF YOUR AUDIENCE! The golden rule of making anything for the public to read/watch/play/enjoy is that if the public won't enjoy it, its a bad idea. I could understand R.O.B. getting in if with a 40-44 cast, maybe even a 38 cast. However putting R.O.B. in while there's all this papertrail of what Sakurai was looking at, and four good ideas for Ridley, three for Krystal... and ignoring them, will look bad.

I mean, do you think the Mario fans would be happy if the Mario cast in Brawl was suddenly Mario, Peach, Bowser. And at the same time Waddle Dee and BioSpark made it playable for Kirby's team? Or instead of adding to the Star Fox reps putting in another Earthbound rep? Tickin' off the fans can kill a game series.
Here's the thing, man. You know why I think this roster would be a fantastic roster for Brawl? For the very same reason you hate it: it doesn't bend over for the fans. I said this over at IGN a long time ago, but now it deserves to be said here. Now, to be clear, this post was made in response to one of those little dweebish bum-****s getting on my case after I'd expressed my disappointment at the Sonic reveal:

"I think all of you are spoiled little brats who don't know a god**** thing about what game development has been, should be, or how absolutely pathetic it is currently. Never have I been this disgusted to be a gamer. Never have I seen such sloppy disregard and outright disrespect for developer/fan balance. If there's a crystallized example of that, it's the development of Smash Bros Brawl, because it's fan-service in its most blatant form. And it's PATHETIC. Quite frankly, I'm sick of it. And no, I don't believe that gamers should be at the whim and mercy of developers, nor do I believe that game development should take place in a vacuum. But at the same time, giving mass ******* this much influence and control is dangerous and sets a precedent that will damage the industry if left unchecked.

Nobody agrees with me, I know. I don't really care who agrees or disagrees, because I see the trend starting and I don't want it to get worse. But since you all are still so giddy about getting everything you want, none of you are considering the ramifications, so what do I care?"

Now, Rakath, it's not that I think you're an idiot or anything. But come on, man. We both know that game development needs balance and not just "well, we'd better please the fans." I don't care that the roster is still missing half of the top characters from Sakurai's fan poll. In fact, I'm glad because of that. The internet has been both the best and worst thing to happen to the game industry. It's been the best because speed of information has dramatically increased, leading to an unprecedented growth and ease of communications. But the internet's been the worst because it's basically raised an entire generation of spoiled little ****s who expect to get everything they ever want, and then ***** and moan when it seems like they won't.

And no, I'm not going to pull this "Be glad you at least got X" because I think that's a full-of-crap rebuttal and it means absolutely nothing. But what I will say is...please at least just try to appreciate and respect game development balance.

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman

We give Mother (a series with 3 original releases and 1 remake release to its name) two reps,
The series has an uneven distribution of popularity and recognition geographically. At least I think that is the rationale here.

and Metroid (8 releases, 2 rereleases) 1 rep.
Actually; two movesets - Samus and Zamus

Star Fox gets 3 strikingly similar reps, ignoring its one shot at a unique rep.
Actually, Wolf does not have a history of fighting, and while this speaks against him and in favor of Krystal, consider the notion that he is the only villain that, unlike Andross, fits in combat. He could get something all-new, with any kind of weaponry and fighting style, despite his similiraties to Fox. The same goes for Falco.

I do recognize representing the Starfox series with a sausagefest where two chars have to be given a wholly imagined and all-new moveseta while skipping a heavily requested female weapon-wielder is ludicrous enough to cast some doubt over the 35-roster.

We decrease the count of Mario reps by 1.
Dr. Mario is a clone. Does he really count in these considerations?

Fire Emblem (10 unique releases) gets no new reps.
Once again, the popularity factor could explain things. Also, a leaker on GFaqs who predicted Mushroomy Kingdom to a tee says a few other things that fit with the 35-roster, save for the fact that it adds Dark Samus and Micaiah to it.

And we make room for R.O.B. as a WTF character (when I think Olimar is more than enough WTF, and ROB pales in compare to Game&Watch, the second coming of WTF).
I think that has less to do with WTF and more to do with Retro. Olimar is not nearly as WTF as G&W or R.O.B.

That's the horrible thing with this rumor - everything tangible, concrete and logical (leakers overlapping, leakers having official info before the Dojo confirms, leakers having credible histories, PoR's list creating columns) speaks for it and EVERYTHING ELSE speaks against it! It is supported by everything empirical yet is completely counter-intuitive!

I would like to point out that while they are adding ten character slots, they are giving us 40-42 unique movesets. Compare that with the series going from eleven movesets in 64 to the nineteen unique movesets in Melee. That is a geometrical increase, and a pretty steep one for a fighting game.

I believe in this roster until it is confirmed or proven fake. Things point for and against it but there is a net credibility. Do I enjoy that position? THRYST NO!

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
"I think all of you are spoiled little brats who don't know a god**** thing about what game development has been, should be, or how absolutely pathetic it is currently. Never have I been this disgusted to be a gamer. Never have I seen such sloppy disregard and outright disrespect for developer/fan balance. If there's a crystallized example of that, it's the development of Smash Bros Brawl, because it's fan-service in its most blatant form. And it's PATHETIC. Quite frankly, I'm sick of it. And no, I don't believe that gamers should be at the whim and mercy of developers, nor do I believe that game development should take place in a vacuum. But at the same time, giving mass ******* this much influence and control is dangerous and sets a precedent that will damage the industry if left unchecked.
If Smash Bros. Brawl is a failure in any way, then you are right and giving the fans what they want is dangerous to the industry.

Nobody agrees with me, I know. I don't really care who agrees or disagrees, because I see the trend starting and I don't want it to get worse. But since you all are still so giddy about getting everything you want, none of you are considering the ramifications, so what do I care?"
What ARE the ramifications?

I think what you fail to realize is that if Sakurai had all the time and money and manpower he wanted to make this game, the roster would be enormous, and please almost every fan.

The developers WANT to please the fans. Pleasing fans means money in their pockets. They simply can only do what they must. They didn't add clones in Melee just to teach us a lesson about being spoiled or some contrived BS like that, they simply didn't have the time to do what they REALLY wanted.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Who gives a **** about rep? A MOVESET IS A MOVESET.
QF MotherFing T!

I don't care HOW you look at it, PT is still 3 characters/ movesets in one!

And I agree with this. . .

"I would like to point out that while they are adding ten character slots, they are giving us 40-42 unique movesets. Compare that with the series going from eleven movesets in 64 to the nineteen unique movesets in Melee. That is a geometrical increase, and a pretty steep one for a fighting game."

39 would be the number of move-sets if 35 character roster is correct thou.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom