• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Complete roster revealed? It was true!!!! (Except for Falcon/Olimar swap)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desruprot

Smash Lord
Why is the R.O.B being such a big deal I did not think that a playable version of it would be in...I think ROB64 will simply be a trophy

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
>.> I still think 35 is an unreasonable number. They don't even take clones into account, which are likely to return. I would rather 40+ Characters with like, 10 clones, than 35 with all unique moves, just because clones are basically unique within their own play style anyways.
=/ It just doesn't make sense to me.
-DD

Terrabottuti

Smash Journeyman
ROB was deconfirmed on both accounts! It's simple common sense people. Markman & Reno are lying!
It just seems odd for both of them to lie though, especially since a NeoGAF mod is backing them up... on top of all this, they are pretty established GAF members who have had previous leak success behind them and are more than likely going to lose their accounts if they are actually telling lies. Not that being banned from a forum would end the world, but it's still sucky since they are established people there and everything.

At this point, I don't really know where this all is going to go. I wouldn't really mind the 35 roster being wrong or right... I'd love it to be wrong, but I can easily live with it otherwise.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
Ban Heim, when you beat Classic in Melee, you got a CHANCE to unlock Jigglypuff. Maybe they didn't win that match.
I'm way late on this, but you do realize that this isn't Melee, right?

I don't really understand the point you're trying to make though. I'm not saying the screenshot is real or fake in one way or another (not the full roster mock up, but the gameplay one that was released with the CD screenshot). I am saying that it isn't the starting roster, which a lot of people assume it is.

rusashi

Smash Apprentice
please read this:

http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=3775769&postcount=2457

and tell me if you still think they are lying

Also, please ask yourself if ROB is really somehow deconfirmed based on anything besides conjecture
People are in denial.

I'm guessing your a Neogaf forum goer. You coming in here and saying "RENO AND MARKMAN KNOW THERE ****" isn't gonna get people to shutup. The 35 man roster does indeed suck, but at this point there's no changing it, since I see no reason why Reno and Markman would make **** up.

But either way, a Neogaf forum goer coming in here and spewing out logic won't change a thing on this forum of nay sayers and skeptics.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Whether or not the 2chan pic is the starting roster or not, in no way affects my theory. In reality, the most characters the picture has, the stronger it makes my theory.

Japanese Monk

Smash Journeyman
Thank-you shortfuse. Unfortunately most people will not read the debunking section. Its starting to really make me crack after seeing posts and posts of the same two "points" against the roster.

That being "omg that falcon pic is on goolge" and "chronobound admitted it being fakeUHfsauhjBLAH!"

I swear the smash community (most I believe came from gfaqs lately) have some type of reading disability. For some reason NO ONE LIKES TO READ!! >: 0

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Shortfuse? I'm not going to be insulting. If R.O.B. is in, we've got egg on our face, but the robot has no maneuverability to speak of, so it can't perform all the things that Smashers can do. Its only role in the game is serving the Ancient Minister. If Sakurai comes up with a new model of R.O.B. then I'll gladly eat humble pie. This is speculation on my part.

As for R.O.B. 64, I agree with the others. All the extra trophies we've seen so far for official Smashers have been specialty trophies from their pasts. Mario? He has Raccoon Mario, Paper Mario, Mario & Yoshi, Metal, etc. but all the normal Mario trophies of him as a Smash model were acquired through the different 1-P modes. If you look at his trophy in the coin launcher screenshot, you can plainly see that's a standard appearance for him like you would expect of Classic/Adventure/All-Star. This is fact that should be consistent with the Smash Bros. formula. Granted, Sakurai could have changed things up, but he stays consistent with these particular trophies, then ROB 64 is deconfirmed.

That was fact, now here's my speculation. Of the Star Fox cast, Fox, Falco, Krystal, and Wolf have had any real chance. Slippy is more R&D. ROB maintains the Great Fox, he's provided cover fire, but he's always been support. The four mentioned are really the best pilots and representatives as far as fighters go. Wolf and Krystal would get in before ROB, and even then Slippy supercedes him with all the gadgets he creates.

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
You know...a Pit vs. Dedede match would have sorted this whole thing out already (if he has the game or not).

Personally, I'd just ignore all of this for another week, and soon everyone in Japan will have the game, and then all of our questions will be answered.

EDIT: Now that I'm looking over this whole roster thing. It actually kinda does make sense that newcomers would sort of "slide into" the selection screen as you unlocked more. What I do not buy is the proposed final roster they have there with the 35.

(This one)

Does anyone seem to think that another row seems to be "missing" from that lineup? Going down the line as it's set up...

-Geno/another Mario rep
-Another "Mario-esque" universe rep
-Another LoZ rep
-Ridley
-Another F-Zero rep/who knows?
-Krystal
-Another Pokemon rep (Mewtwo anyone?)
-Another FE rep
-A 3rd 3rd party

It seems to fit so nicely. All of the other expected newcomers that are missing would fit into this fifth row if there were one, and that would bring us up to 44, which is just fine. If this little sliding picture deal is right, I think there will be another row (pictures shrunk appropriately or whatever).

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
oi, the file name of this picture is

"right side up"

or

"right side up cp"

if it is the 2nd one, what does cp stand for?

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Shortfuse? I'm not going to be insulting. If R.O.B. is in, we've got egg on our face, but the robot has no maneuverability to speak of, so it can't perform all the things that Smashers can do. Its only role in the game is serving the Ancient Minister. If Sakurai comes up with a new model of R.O.B. then I'll gladly eat humble pie. This is speculation on my part.
R.O.B. would fit into the Icon Theory though. And for mobility, look how G&W looks when he runs. Bowser has that weird running animation. Also, R.O.B. has boosters so he'll probably use them to "run" and for jumps. Maybe he fires lasers for a B attack. I don't know.

Also, R.O.B. could be vs only. You don't need a storyline for versus. Did Sakurai say ALL the characters in versus will be in SSE? You don't to chose your character from the roster at the beginning of SSE. You just get a difficulty selection screen. After that you start as Kirby and either Zelda or Peach. R.O.B. would be versus/classic only.

Also, to prove that not all Versus characters will be not being SSE, look at Young Link. Having Link and Young Link in SSE wouldn't make sense.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
It's the lack of an Animal Crossing character that nearly debunks this list:

The stickers update about equipping stickers to characters (the update that confirmed Ness, Lucario, and Jigglypuff in a way) has this picture of an Animal Crossing sticker. The few instances where we see that sticker use is limited to specific characters in some cases (The Groudon sticker, the Mother sticker, and two Sonic stickers) all seem to imply that if there is a character restriction, it's from the series the sticker is based on. We've also seen that for a sticker with no character restriction, there is no text or picture in the right column at all. However, in that Animal Crossing sticker screenshot, we see that first half of the same Kanji that's in the other character-specific stickers. It's not a confirmation, but a huge implication that an Animal Crossing character is in the game.

JeffMan

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to address 3 different things that have been brought up in the last couple of quotes, but I cannot quote at the moment for some reason:

1. Kirby's foot showing up. This can easily be explained, as the icons from this new screen shot of the supposed starting roster has square boxes, whereas the boxes from Whobby were obviously rectangular. There is no reason the developers couldn't simply change the shape of the boxes.
So it's just a coincidence, then, that only Kirby's picture is different, while every other pic is the exact same as from Whobby/other official screens, despite the fact that the only instance of Kirby's picture is almost completely obscured by the character marker and could have easily been overlooked by the hoaxer? And it's not just the foot; his whole body is cut off in the leaked pic, while you can see at least the rightmost edge of his body in the Whobby pic.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord

The stickers update about equipping stickers to characters (the update that confirmed Ness, Lucario, and Jigglypuff in a way) has this picture of an Animal Crossing sticker. The few instances where we see that sticker use is limited to specific characters in some cases (The Groudon sticker, the Mother sticker, and two Sonic stickers) all seem to imply that if there is a character restriction, it's from the series the sticker is based on. We've also seen that for a sticker with no character restriction, there is no text or picture in the right column at all. However, in that Animal Crossing sticker screenshot, we see that first half of the same Kanji that's in the other character-specific stickers. It's not a confirmation, but a huge implication that an Animal Crossing character is in the game.
We've discussed this before. Sakurai says:
"Also, some stickers can only be placed on certain characters. Stickers whose range of usage is limited in this fashion are proportionally stronger when placed appropriately. Do your best to find a good place for each sticker."

This one is limited to Magic and being that there are so few magic users (Zelda and Ganondorf) it could be specific to them. We don't know if it's limited to franchise only and AC franchise would probably not have more than one character, so it would include Zelda (at least). What Animal Crossing character uses magic? I couldn't find any.

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
I think the 35-roster is the strongest one yet, and the fact that it ahs surfaced so close to release speaks in favor of it. something is weird about both ROBs (cant bother with the periods) having been shown in the Dojo but this is the smash series people - up can become down quite quickly. Just look at frigging Manaphy.

Do I dislike the roster? Hells yeah. Do I think sakurai can disappoint more people than he pleases? Yups.

I have heard we might get leaked stuff w/ vid/img proof for Friday,a nd I hope this is all over by then.

I will say this though - if there is an update tomorrow or on Friday that disproves the 35-roster the internet will slow down as a whole. It will be more epic than a batallion of Death stars facing off against the entire Marvel gallery. It will be sick.

But that is a pipe dream for now. I am trying to digest the abominable 35-roster by now. If I get a legit reason to regurgitate it I would be very happy.

Thi0s

Smash Apprentice
I definitely oppose the 35 character roster whether it's the real deal or not. It's not really the characters that were excluded, but the number included. I just can't fathom having only one more female rep. I really think it's weird. I also think ROB is weird, but I don't care anymore.

I'm just going to wait 8 days to see whats what...

Ninja Kiyo

Smash Rookie

Wait, when has an Animal Crosser used used magic? What's the point of powering up something the supposed character doesn't have? I say this sticker just powers up characters like Zelda...

Animal Crosser is just a generic Mii precursor, in my opinion. I doubt Sakurai will put these guys in. (Pokemon Trainer, on the other hand, isn't generic, but iconic in more ways than one)

Anyway, the Icon theory states that there will be two more series left to be revealed. One is obviously Game and Watch due to placement. But there is still one more.

The 35 character list only has one character that might be part of that new series. ROB. But if he had his own icon, what would it be? An NES logo? I don't think so. He'd have the "Smash" series logo because he's part of the SSE, making him legally part of the Smash universe.

Well, did Sakurai just decide to skip a space in the naming of the icons? Could it be a series like the Nintendo DS logo? But wait, what "series" is left that could be only represented in stages and items? As we've seen, Assist Trophies don't get their own icon. The last icon must be one more series with a character.

Most importantly, why do people defend this list so much? Are they being selfish that, just because they got the character they wanted, they want the final list to end other characters' chances? Or is it something else?

R.O.B. won't be a playable character because he's an SSE enemy.
False. There are plenty of games where you can play as characters that are enemies or minor characters by unlocking them. For example: Some Star Wars Games (as Sith or Storm Trooper) Devil May Cry 3, Viewtiful Joe, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. There are also games were you can unlock and play as a minor NPC.
Huh? Those are horrible examples! Did Sakurai develop Marvel: Ultimate Alliance? No, this is Smash Bros.! The fact of the matter is, in the Smash series, characters that have been confirmed to be generic enemies do not become playable. That is a true observation, based on the facts at hand.

The truth is, ROB is a SSE generic enemy. You throw Trophy Stands to get SSE enemy trophies. Character Trophies are gotten through playing as that character in various modes. I see a contradiction in having both methods used on one character.

The Ganondorf Melee Trophy does not deconfirm what I am saying, because people were shown it's description only, and therefore could have been gotten through any method. But we've seen the method of which both ROBs could be gotten.

ROB is logically, deconfirmed, using the information retreived from the DOJO, which supersedes any other "leak."

Goopygoo

Smash Ace
Looking for our princess in another castle.
There's one thing that debunks this roster in my eyes: Mario reps.

Not only does the list have only four Mario reps, but that ties it with Zelda, Pokemon, and possibly Starfox. Also, that's less Mario reps than Melee. The Mario series is the best selling game series in the world, and so the roster would obviously reflect that. Simply put, Mario sells. To have only four characters isn't a very smart business decision. Heck, the entire 35 character roster would be a bad business move. Face it, nobody buys this game for its gameplay or adventure mode. We do, but nobody else. People buy this game initially because their favorite characters are in it. That's why they've included Sonic; He sells. The Mario series practically REQUIRES more characters, because then it will sell more. Same with Pokemon, as it's the second best-selling series on the planet.

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
my only problem is if rob is playable (i dont care if he is he is cool and i would play with him) but why got the the trouble of having him be a subspace enemy AND a playable character. also when did the NeoGaf people get their brawl info it could be very outdated. and happens characters can get dropped

mezbomber

Smash Journeyman
what animal crossing character uses magic? good question....which F-Zero character uses fire in his respective game? Come to think of it, I can't think of any.

point being....these characters get whatever kind of moveset that the developers want to imagine for them. An animal crossing character could potentially be given magic attacks primarily based on the fact that "it would look cool." Pretty sure that's how C.Falcon got his moves.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
This might as well be the final roster... I mean for Melee People thought the final roster was bad and fake, then we got kicked in our faces... Might as well give up....

no.... NO!!! THIS CAN'T BE IT!!!

This is supposed to be the game of the century! Why must the roster suck so much?!?! So many characters missing!! And so many undeserving characters in!!

WWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?????!!!1?!!?!?!?!??!?!1/1/1/1/?!??

Coselm

Smash Ace
Anybody remember that 9 second video that went up on youtube supposedly posted by a guy who had a copy of Brawl???

Well he said he would be posting more videos today (I think it is morning in Japan time now?) so if anybody is going to be awake and online for the next 12 hours be on the lookout.

On the other hand, the guy could be fake or too lazy to post videos so you never know.

0ranger

Smash Cadet
There's one thing that debunks this roster in my eyes: Mario reps.

Not only does the list have only four Mario reps, but that ties it with Zelda, Pokemon, and possibly Starfox. Also, that's less Mario reps than Melee. The Mario series is the best selling game series in the world, and so the roster would obviously reflect that. Simply put, Mario sells. To have only four characters isn't a very smart business decision. Heck, the entire 35 character roster would be a bad business move. Face it, nobody buys this game for its gameplay or adventure mode. We do, but nobody else. People buy this game initially because their favorite characters are in it. That's why they've included Sonic; He sells. The Mario series practically REQUIRES more characters, because then it will sell more. Same with Pokemon, as it's the second best-selling series on the planet.
And adding Geno or Bowser Jr. would be a SMART business decision? Why would Nintendo go through the hassle of securing the right to use Geno when he would only appeal to super-hardcore gamers? They'd probably need to pay Square-Enix. And Geno or Bowser Jr. is not essential to the Mario franchise or Mario lore.

This whole "Nintendo should add this or that character for the sake of adding characters from this or that franchise" line of reasoning doesn't make any sense. Say what you will about the 35 character roster, but each character on the roster is essential to its respective franchise.

spindash

Smash Ace
And adding Geno or Bowser Jr. would be a SMART business decision? Why would Nintendo go through the hassle of securing the right to use Geno when he would only appeal to super-hardcore gamers? They'd probably need to pay Square-Enix. And Geno or Bowser Jr. is not essential to the Mario franchise or Mario lore.

This whole "Nintendo should add this or that character for the sake of adding characters from this or that franchise" line of reasoning doesn't make any sense. Say what you will about the 35 character roster, but each character on the roster is essential to its respective franchise.
And you think that R.O.B. doesn't only appeal to the super-hardcore gamers? :|

Shuma

Smash Hero
As far as i know about Geno, Nintend ocan do whatever the hell they whant with him as long as they put Geno is property of this and that and that, not that i care, if Geno is in or not. If geno is in, good, if not, well whatever.

And Bowser Jr. Is well... Bowser's son... so why not?

Nasir

Smash Apprentice
Could it be that it wasn't the final build that Reno and the other leakers got their information from? I mean then they wouldn't lie purposely, but they wouldn't just know all the characters. Characters such as ROB could have been in the game, but then be removed. I heard something like that from another leaker...

And of course characters could be included which these leakers are unaware of. Yeah, I know, It's just me and wishful thinking. Well, it's just a thought.

0ranger

Smash Cadet
As far as i know about Geno, Nintend ocan do whatever the hell they whant with him as long as they put Geno is property of this and that and that, not that i care, if Geno is in or not. If geno is in, good, if not, well whatever.
http://genohatessquareitcontrolshislife.ytmnd.com/

Geno's copyright is owned by Square Enix. Although Nintendo got away with using him for a bit reference in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, making him a playable character in Brawl would be something of a selling point; and Square would want Nintendo to pony up cash. Nintendo is nothing if not economical, and I just don't see them making a deal.

But I could be wrong. Really, who knows what the deal would entail? Nintendo might be working with Square on Mario RPG 2 right now, for all we know.

spindash

Smash Ace
http://genohatessquareitcontrolshislife.ytmnd.com/

Geno's copyright is owned by Square Enix. Although Nintendo got away with using him for a bit reference in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, making him a playable character in Brawl would be something of a selling point; and Square would want Nintendo to pony up cash. Nintendo is nothing if not economical, and I just don't see them making a deal.

But I could be wrong. Really, who knows what the deal would entail? Nintendo might be working with Square on Mario RPG 2 right now, for all we know.
God...that music is freaky... What's it from? But yeah.

Could you only imagine if they actually struck a deal? Or Geno somehow became a pure Nintendo character? After all, he's just collecting dust.

What the hell are they going to do with Geno without Nintendo anyway? Just give him to the more rightful owners.

Well. You never know what could happen.

Freaky music. *shudders*

Magmar's Wrath

Smash Journeyman
There is one major thing wrong with the mock-up picture, one I hope no one has mentioned yet. And it has nothing to do with Geno, Krystal, or characters...

There's no Random choice, which has been seen on every official character selection screen yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom