• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Complete Character Matchup Synopsis: UPDATED WITH FRAME COMPARISONS

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
Those pictures are pretty win, this topic is pretty nice even though I don't agree with most of the match-up ratio.

I dont agree with some of them either, but I put personal opinions aside and examined both character boards, and came up with a "general" consensus, which is admittedly focused moreso from our boards POV.

Edit: I will probably go through once a large portion of the matchups have been discussed/posted and revamp the color code one last time. I perused almost every character's matchup boards and they seem to have no problem with extended color codes. TBH, pairing ratios with a wider range of color codes is actually better... as you can have a pair of "55/45s" that are different inasmuch that they favor that character to a varying degree, but not enough to be called 50/50 or 60/40. Onc i get more synopses done, I can further compare the ratios listed vs those that were provided vs the "perceptions/feelings" about the matchups and revamp accordingly.

Ruse

Fox
ROB does not beat Kirby.

I call shenanigans.

Edit: Wow. I had to double take.. I only agree with like, three of these ratios. Am I just crazy or something?

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
ROB does not beat Kirby.

I call shenanigans.

Edit: Wow. I had to double take.. I only agree with like, three of these ratios. Am I just crazy or something?

I'll provide ratios provided by almost everyone from every matchup that has been covered outside of MK and GaW:

DDD:

Dedede's advantages:
Matchup Ratio:
If the ROB plays smart, its somewhere around 50:50 or 55:45 D3's favor. If the ROB tries to challenge the D3 on the stage or in the air, 60:40 easy.

That's about all I could think of, off the top of my head.

Everything you posted seems good to me. I actually never thought of ledgecamping, so I guess I already learned something from the thread.

I think the matchup is 55-44 or 51-48 DDD.

My opinion of the matchup:

55:45 or 50:50 in King Dedede's Favor.
Now for stuff I'm personally adding..

Sudai likes the number 54:45 in D3's favor.

LEDGE CAMP HIS ARSE!! > : O

Depends a lot on playstyle and crap. 50:50

Kappuchu~
COUNTERPICK BRINSTAR

45:55 Dedede advantage

this matchup is 55:45 DDD , now rob's camping game can halt a bit DDDs approaches in this matchup , in this matchup I usually don't try to run to him trying to get the grab, I just go to the air and try to approach from there. the frikkin laser and gyro setups are annoying but approaching from the air get the job done but if they expect then u have to vary ur landings. I do more later here
I do to play ROB mainers like dairy basis.

PS: I am talking in DDD's perspective.

cowsareforeating;6651672 55:45 DDD's favor. Even if you play campy said:
55:45 Dededes favor VERY slightly
I agree with Nik's ratio numbers and post is finished. *boing*
That was the general consensus

KIRBY

That's how I feel about strategy and info about the matchup. I wouuld place it pretty even at:

55-45 Slightly in ROB's favor
i'd say near 45-55. This is only because he seems less of a threat than marth/snake/G&W, but more of a threat than DK, pika, etc.

45-55 slightly in kirby's favor, i say if kirby had a little less power it would be neutral. If you can live to a ROB normal 150-170 in this matchup, you can fight. If kirby takes you out at 90-100, it's gonna be tough. And I think this happens more often than not.

Ban: Norfair/Rainbow Cruise
Counterpick: Final Destination/Smashville

I fail to see how Halberd's low ceiling is bad for R.O.B....
You can Burner Chase Kirby with N-Airs and U-Airs if he's in the air.

I'd say the match-up is (R.O.B.) 55 :: 45 (Kirby) overall.

Side-B

>.>

Or just bait Kirby to the wing by ledge-camping there. R.O.B.'s nair has massive kill potential on Corneria. Close sides are, in my eyes, a major disadvantage for R.O.B. though.

Kirby has good recovery, so you might think he benefits from long sides, but I feel R.O.B. has a disadvantage in KOing to the side. Low ceiling in Halberd is probably beneficial to R.O.B. though.

About the matchup in general, I think it is pretty even. R.O.B. has a tremendous weakness when above Kirby. R.O.B. is better at range and damage dealing and has the better recovery. Kirby clearly has a lot more killing power than R.O.B. though.
I'd put them at 55:45, R.O.B.'s favour.
It seems just a little bit in ROB's advantage, but im beginning to think that a 50-50 isnt too far off
Overall, I would give this match-up to ROB. 55:45 seems a bit low, so I'll give it to ROB 60:40.

I think the match up is something like 45-55 ROB's favor

See how they are pretty much split between the 45/55, 50/50, and 55-45 argument? Hence, the reason for a COLOR code- "This is a close, almost even matchup that can go eitehr way"

DIDDY:

Diddy main coming to 'help out'.

I think you guys have a 60-40 advantage.

I've done this match about 10x a week since the release of the game... ROB has the advantage by 60-40...
this really is an easy match for ROB to win.

Diddy vs. ROB...hmm

55-45 ROB imo, because Diddy can't really do much when being camped. This is one of those times you'd want to go to BF instead of FD, Diddy players.
Fairly even to ROB's advantage. .

That's all I can say for now. MD/VA has a bunch of good Diddy players but I don't have a whole lot of experience in the matchup yet. Even though I still have trouble, I'd agree with 60/40 ROB. It's started going a lot better for me recently now that I've started to figure the matchup out (and stopped trying to use his bananas against him :p)

Diddy vs ROB is 60/40 R.O.B. He gimps WAYY TOO EASY. END OF STORY.

GwJumpman;6242624 I just find it 60/40 ROB. ROB can throw out of Diddy's glide toss said:
I would put ROB vs Diddy neutral at 45/55 ROB
Checkmate. A near-perfect assessment that resonates with my personal reasoning. I love Battlefield anyway, but it will always be my stage of preference against any ROB player.
*agreeing with Stingerz' assessment

DONKEY KONG

I'm content calling this a 50-50 match-up and calling case closed unless anyone else really wants to contribute.

but yeah, sudai nailed it, 50/50ish, and i'd ban japes, jamn knows why
I feel like ROB should theoretically win this matchup, but when you actually play it it can be really tough.
DK forums think it's in DK's favor 6/4. Dunno honestly. I haven't played this matchup enough to come to a number conclusion.
As you can see, I didnt have a lot of ratios to work with when looking at DK. So, i was forced to have to interpret the well-thought out posts and points that were agreed upon by several people.

All this further goes to illustrate why I had proposed just colors to begin with.

Whether or not Kirby is 45/55, 50/50, or 55/45... he would STILL be yellow.

Whether or not DDD was 45/55-55/45... he still would be yellow

Wether or not DK was 45/55 to 55/45... he still would be yellow.

As far as Diddy goes, i did put a little bit more weight to ADHD/Chrome Pirate and Le Thien's AND Sudai/JCz ratings than others... which, evens out to approximatly what we had in the ORIGINAL matchup chart with him being just a LIGHT GREEN which took up the 55-45-->60-40 range... but people wanted LESS colors, remember bc we'd be arguing over THOSE instead of ratios.

just making this post to show you that Im not pulling the ratios out of my ***.

Oh... also...

If it makes you guys feel better, I only agree with the MK and D3 numbers.

I'm content calling this a 50-50 match-up and calling case closed unless anyone else really wants to contribute.
^ during DK discussion

I have DK listed as 50/50. Contradiction, or change of heart?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
For what it's worth, if you switched DDD's and G&W's ratios I would agree completely with the chart.

Sudai

Stuff here
There was a big change of heart on the DK match-up since our DK discussion. DK can plank the **** out of ROB if he gets the lead (which isn't rare for the powerhouse)

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
For what it's worth, if you switched DDD's and G&W's ratios I would agree completely with the chart.
ty... I think. =P

There was a big change of heart on the DK match-up since our DK discussion. DK can plank the **** out of ROB if he gets the lead (which isn't rare for the powerhouse)
And see, this is a valid point that I had taken into account. I prefer it at 55/45 to 60/40 (DK) myself... but I was attempting to be as non-biased as possible while taking many opinions into account (and weighting them accordingly where necc.). I had just assumed it wasn't mentioned because there was some way around it that I didn't know about. Out of curiosity, what would you put the DK at now?

Oh, and additionally regarding my previous post... I just compared my chart with the averages laid out by Darth Waffles in the "Clean up" thread (couldn't find where it was until now), and it essentially parallels my own (which, theoretically we are doing it the same way). So, while an individual may or may not agree with the ratios presented, they are fairly indicative of the community's perception of said matchup.

Ruse

Fox
I guess the only ones that really bug me are GW and Kirby.

They should both be 40-60 imo, but I'm just some Florida scrub.

MK is definitely 30-70.

DK... I've never fought a DK. But 50-50 sounds decent.

Diddy I can agree with.

D3... I'd say is more like 40-60, but, once again, I'm a scrub.

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
It should be noted that:

If a good falco gets a hold of you at 0%, expect to end up at 60% before you have options again. Oh, and one more thing about falco: He can Upsmash your fair OOS so don't fair his shield.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
It should be noted that:

If a good falco gets a hold of you at 0%, expect to end up at 60% before you have options again. Oh, and one more thing about falco: He can Upsmash your fair OOS so don't fair his shield.
Do you mean that as "get ahold of you" in general; as in... (just as an example) laser to the face-->u-tilt-->combo'd to 60%? or do you mean gets ahold of you in terms of landing a grab-->d-throw-->expecting you know how to get out of it-->dont bother attempting the next grab-->combo'd to 60%?

Bc, I was in the case of the latter since you can jump+DI, you can immediately go into your up+B and probably escape from him. (By no means am I saying "WRONG!", Im just wondering)

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
Do you mean that as "get ahold of you" in general; as in... (just as an example) laser to the face-->u-tilt-->combo'd to 60%? or do you mean gets ahold of you in terms of landing a grab-->d-throw-->expecting you know how to get out of it-->dont bother attempting the next grab-->combo'd to 60%?

Bc, I was in the case of the latter since you can jump+DI, you can immediately go into your up+B and probably escape from him. (By no means am I saying "WRONG!", Im just wondering)
Kismet2 can consistently combo me to 60% with one grab at 0%. (I've tried many many times to get out of it) I don't know the exact combination of moves, but it looks something like dthrow, dthrow, dair, dthrow, dair, jabs (something along those lines)

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
Kismet2 can consistently combo me to 60% with one grab at 0%. (I've tried many many times to get out of it) I don't know the exact combination of moves, but it looks something like dthrow, dthrow, dair, dthrow, dair, jabs (something along those lines)
But isn't that contingent upon you NOT being able to get out of the D-throw? IE... if he managed to land the second D-throw, then he could have just as easily CG'd you?

Sorry if Im wrong, as its 5:00 am EST, so my mind isn't as sharp as I'd like it to be. :)

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I'm pretty sure if you DI away after the 3rd dthrow, you can fair before he can hit you with the dair. Don't quote me on that though, it's been awhile, but I can't remember ever being comboed by Falco past ~35%.

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
But isn't that contingent upon you NOT being able to get out of the D-throw? IE... if he managed to land the second D-throw, then he could have just as easily CG'd you?

Sorry if Im wrong, as its 5:00 am EST, so my mind isn't as sharp as I'd like it to be. :)
Falco can get 2 dthrows guaranteed before you can get out...(From the "just dthrow" chaingrab anyways)

I'm pretty sure if you DI away after the 3rd dthrow, you can fair before he can hit you with the dair. Don't quote me on that though, it's been awhile, but I can't remember ever being comboed by Falco past ~35%.
I'll be sure to keep trying to get out, but I've played him quite a few times. He's got a stellar Falco, I'm pretty sure what he's doing is guaranteed.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Is 50:50 really that different from 45:55? It doesn't really matter, just know that it's "evenish"

Ruse

Fox
I'm pretty sure the ROB vs ROB match-up is like, 37-63 in ROB's favor.

At least we got the Marth ratio right.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
Falco and DK are 50:50 imo...Falco's I can understand and live with but DK....I go :dizzy: when I see its 45:55
looks like someone didn't pay attention to the colors....

notice how the DK/Falco 44:55s are lighter then the DDD 45:55? Thats bc those two matchups are closer to teh 50/50 end of the 45/55 spectrum than ddd.

If you wanna REALLY get specific, its SIMILAR saying that DDD is 42/58 and DK&Falco is 48/52

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
I feel really confident in it. Just saying. Almost beat Co18's when I played him(it was close, at least), he switched to wario after that.

Jamnt0ast

Smash Journeyman
Eh.... IMO you have the GnW + MK matchups completely wrong.
There is no way MK is worse than 60/40. ROB's Uair recovery prevents Mk from even wanting to gimp you. Nair can also kill MK at 80% if he tries to up b you when you are hovering in the air because MK's up b is outprioritized.
Fsmash also breaks the tornado. (and is also the most effective at doing so since you can charge and release)
Neutrals: FD & ?SV?, Lylat
Counterpick: Japes, Luigi’s if its legal, Comfort stage
......... These were originally thought to be good counterpicks, but GnW's smashes will still kill you at 90% there while you wont be able to kill him til 170+ because of bucket breaking for ETERNTIY.

If anything, my favorite stages vs GnW are Brinstar and Halberd BECAUSE of the low ceilings.

Also, none of GnW's smashes stay out long enough to hit rob out of a well timed spot dodge. KEY however will. GnW will be approaching with KEY and comboing with Uair almost the entire match. what can you do about this? grab when he approaches with key....

GnW vs ROB is pretty unwinnable. IIRC Shadow was forced to change to diddy kong to beat valdens.

oh and ROB vs DK being in DK's favor makes me lmao every time i come on the rob boards.

Shockdrake

Smash Cadet
Usually when I read character summaries, I see a few things that are either incorrect, slightly inaccurate, or that are just missing some (major) points. Your Marth summary was perfect, and I don't believe you had anything missing or wrongly dealt with. Very good job.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
Usually when I read character summaries, I see a few things that are either incorrect, slightly inaccurate, or that are just missing some (major) points. Your Marth summary was perfect, and I don't believe you had anything missing or wrongly dealt with. Very good job.
Thanks a ton. There was a lot of stuff to compile on the Marth matchup, so it was a bit easier to get everything covered than the rest.

Eh.... IMO you have the GnW + MK matchups completely wrong.
There is no way MK is worse than 60/40. ROB's Uair recovery prevents Mk from even wanting to gimp you. Nair can also kill MK at 80% if he tries to up b you when you are hovering in the air because MK's up b is outprioritized.
Fsmash also breaks the tornado. (and is also the most effective at doing so since you can charge and release) [/quote]

On the not of "you have the (insert ratio) wrong" I can not stress this enough: I DIDN'T "CALL" THE RATIOS. They are the results of looking through both character boards discussions and compling all the ratios, weighting the ones given by known/good/respected players slightly more than "random main #4" and more or less 'averaging' it out. (I use 'average' loosely, as I use a combination of mean and mode). If you look, a lot of the ratios I list are entirely counter-intuitive to what I personally feel, because in compiling a ratio, I totally remove my own "opinion" from the equation.

Do I think DK has a slight advantage? No, I think its 50/50.
Do I think ROB has the adv. over Kirby? No, I think its the reverse.

But, it doesn't matter what I believe, as what I think is only a small part of the sum of opinions/ratios. If 12 people, 6 of which I feel are more knowledgeable than me/better than me in the matchup feel one way (opposite of me), and 3 feel another way-- I will tend to focus more on one than the other.

The important thing to note, is *I*, don't have anything wrong, bc *I* don't put my own ratios in when compiling them. Think of me as a recorder of minutes at a meeting. If we have a meeting about what color oranges are, and everyone says they are red... while I feel that they are orange but don't actually say anything in the meeting, in the transcript of the minutes there'll be a consensus of "oranges are red". (This is admittedly a bad analogy, but- its a good illustration.)

Also, that wasn't really directed at you personally, Jam... lol, its just that the quote feature let me address it specifically.

The thing that I noticed, is that MK has the tools to gimp you from other places besides from above with the use of D-air. But even with that, a lot of MKs will use their multiple jumps to keep above you, and use a fast-falled D-air after your U-air. A reversed shuttleloop about halfway between the edge of the stage and the KO boundary gets early kills around the 110~120 range (waaaay earlier than ROB likes to die), and lower if you aren't expecting it or are in a bad position. F-air chains-->shuttleloop is possible at a moderately early percent as well. Depending on platforms present on a stage, MK can position himself there as opposed to just "the ledge" to create better options if need be.

......... These were originally thought to be good counterpicks, but GnW's smashes will still kill you at 90% there while you wont be able to kill him til 170+ because of bucket breaking for ETERNTIY.

If anything, my favorite stages vs GnW are Brinstar and Halberd BECAUSE of the low ceilings.

Also, none of GnW's smashes stay out long enough to hit rob out of a well timed spot dodge. KEY however will. GnW will be approaching with KEY and comboing with Uair almost the entire match. what can you do about this? grab when he approaches with key....

GnW vs ROB is pretty unwinnable. IIRC Shadow was forced to change to diddy kong to beat valdens.
Th U-smash i know kills around 90, maybe a smidge over with good DI. D-smash kills comparably from the platforms if you get hit to the corresponding sides. If its from the opposite end, DI down and into the water (if you're getting hit FROM the left, to the right) and it will essentially stop your momentum. G&W has more kill options than ROB anyway, regardless of the stage. I just think that a fresh backthrow from the side platforms, or a fresh B-air (replace B-air use with N-air use to flip which one is decayed) near the corners is a good way to get (earlier) kills before the 170+ mark, as most of those will KO even with DI before the GaW can really use bucket cancelling.

That isn't to say that I don't see your point, because I do, and I agree with it to some extent. I don't like Halberd though, simply because GaW can keystomp you all over the place through the platform before your U-smash can come out, and I think it beats our U-tilt.

oh and ROB vs DK being in DK's favor makes me lmao every time i come on the rob boards.
Aah, I thought that you more or less agreed with Sudai's ratio (which was 50/50) at the time DK was discussed (see post #46 I think, where you said he "nailed it"). That led me to believe that you and Sudai saw the matchup similarly, and so once he mentioned that DK can plank ROB if he really wants to, I had just assumed that people sharing his original sentiments would have agreed. Again, my apologies for extrapolating too far. :)

Also, again- I would refer to the color coding system. DK and DDD and Falco have the same ratios, but different colors. The ones that are more orange than yellow are "tougher versions" of the same ratio, while the opposite is true for those that are more yellow than orange.

But, if enough people think the MK/GaW matchups should be numbered differently... I have no problem in changing it.

And, finally....

THE RATIOS AREN'T IMPORTANT AT ALL! THEY DON'T MATTER. THE VALUABLE PIECES OF INFORMATION IN THE SYNOPSES IS THE SYNOPSES OF THE MATCHUP ITSELF!

I could list the ROB/Marth matchup as 20:80, Marths favor. But, the information contained in the synopses on how to play the matchup, what to watch out for, etc etc is just as valid as if the ratio was a 100% consensus to 50:50.

And, this is why I didn't want to include ratios to begin with.... and, on a side note... I think I'll edit it and take the ratios out.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Agreed. Avoiding G&W's smashes isn't really that difficult, and ROB has an answer for just about everything he can do. Not so for MK. And no I'm not talking about tornado.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
I don't care what anyone rates the MK matchup as...but to say GnW is harder than MK? That's just ********.
This

Agreed. Avoiding G&W's smashes isn't really that difficult, and ROB has an answer for just about everything he can do. Not so for MK. And no I'm not talking about tornado.
and That :|

*is hungover* :(

Sudai

Stuff here
I somehow completely missed this post..

There is no way MK is worse than 60/40. ROB's Uair recovery prevents Mk from even wanting to gimp you.
MK's DAir outranges ROB's UAir. Fail.

Nair can also kill MK at 80% if he tries to up b you when you are hovering in the air because MK's up b is outprioritized.
MK has to run into ROB's NAir if you try to do that. His Up-B moves fast enough that ROB can't NAir on reaction but MK can punish NAir on reaction.

Just pointing out that the MKs you play fail if either of those options still work on them.

maybe jam has some secret MK ****** technique >_>. but yeah, im all for the color ranking system in place of numbers. STRANGER DANGER! STRANGER DANGER! :D
Jam, if you do, come out with it. I don't particularly care if ROB has a wtfhax option vs MK but I'm sure the other ROBs on the board would appreciate it.

As for the DK thing, I still feel it's 50/50, it's just a matter of whoever gets the lead first wins. Oh, and stage plays a major role in the ratio. FD = ROB wins, Battlefield = DK wins, Rainbow = ROB wins, Picto = DK wins, ect, ect. It's a lot more than just "Two characters on a stage! Go!", imo.

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
MK's DAir outranges ROB's UAir. Fail.
Er. This is just wrong. Partially wrong. MKs dair has more HORIZONTAL range than ROB's upair. But if you're directly below him your UAir has more vertical range than MK's dair, beating him out -- dealing 20% and allowing you to recover. Pretty good stuff. Unless you mess up the spacing. BUT if he's not DIRECTLY above you, yes dair will beat uair.

Sudai

Stuff here
Er. This is just wrong. Partially wrong. MKs dair has more HORIZONTAL range than ROB's upair. But if you're directly below him your UAir has more vertical range than MK's dair, beating him out -- dealing 20% and allowing you to recover. Pretty good stuff. Unless you mess up the spacing. BUT if he's not DIRECTLY above you, yes dair will beat uair.
I've never fought an MK that stays directly above me when they try to gimp me. Any MK worth their salt knows this and abuses it, so in essence, I was right.

Top Bottom