• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Compilation of New Techniques/Discoveries (Updated 3.17.08)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
@wak: I think its important that you show faster hugging technique as it seems to be the only way to edgehog easily in brawl. If you've watched some lucky's sonic vid, he does that quite often to get on the edge. its basically run out to edge, fastfall, hold stick toward the stage. Its not BIG but it is seriously the closest we have to wavedash, fast fall, edgehog (which was pretty useful in melee)
It's to obvious of a technique according to me. Everyone I played against were doing it and they haven't watched any vid or anything.

*remembers wak has put short hop and fastfall in the last AHTP*

Yeah so my list just grew up of 3 techniques. I should also put slipoff, which is now the only way to cancel an arial technique.

The_Dyne

Smash Journeyman
Well Falco, Snake, and Wario can do it after hitting someone... but I don't know about others doing it after hitting.

Choppah

Smash Rookie
The DACU is possible with ANYONE. everyone can do the ''DLX'' it is just less useful with fox.
Kara-smashing or DLX canceling (which btw are different techniques altogether) are techniques not possible with everyone. For some characters, such as Snake, its effects are obvious. Other characters, such as Fox, can use it, but the difference between his kara-smash and hyphen smash is barely noticeable. There are characters with little use for the kara-smash or is not usable at all. For example, Captain Falcon's hyphen smash goes way further than his kara-smash which sticks him almost in place. Characters with certain animations during their dash attack make kara-smash unusable i.e. King Dedede.

PimpUigi

BRoomer
BRoomer
We should call it Kara-smashing because if we call it Kara-canceling people will think we mean canceling something into a grab.

So Kara-smashing FTW

Damax

Smash Lord
Kara-smashing or DLX canceling (which btw are different techniques altogether) are techniques not possible with everyone. For some characters, such as Snake, its effects are obvious. Other characters, such as Fox, can use it, but the difference between his kara-smash and hyphen smash is barely noticeable. There are characters with little use for the kara-smash or is not usable at all. For example, Captain Falcon's hyphen smash goes way further than his kara-smash which sticks him almost in place. Characters with certain animations during their dash attack make kara-smash unusable i.e. King Dedede.
Sorry but it is possible with anyone. it is just useless for most of them. IN melee Link could wavedash but it was really useless. as far as I tried, dede being one of them I tried by the way. They can DEFINITLY cancel their dash attack, sure it doesn't make them slide good distance and it is sometime hard to pull, but still possible. That's why it is a DACU because you cancel the dash attack with a up smash, not because slide, it is only a side effect of a few characters because of their dash attack animation.

We should call it Kara-smashing because if we call it Kara-canceling people will think we mean canceling something into a grab.

So Kara-smashing FTW
with Kara smashing they'll think the grab does damage or something. if Kara-cancelling means canceling a move into a grab, Kara definitly means a move into a grab.

this name while being close to your ****in other fighter is IMO not appropriated since its not the same ****. let's call it wavedash ya, or wave-upsmash!!! its the same thing!! -_-

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
with Kara smashing they'll think the grab does damage or something. if Kara-cancelling means canceling a move into a grab, Kara definitly means a move into a grab.

this name while being close to your ****in other fighter is IMO not appropriated since its not the same ****. let's call it wavedash ya, or wave-upsmash!!! its the same thing!! -_-
What does Kara stand for anyway ?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Here's a thread that might be helpful to link/ quote or stuff:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=155409

You should also mention the Dash Attack canceled usmash, where you dash attack, and cancel it with up&z, to get a "super wavedash"-like usmash with some characters (all characters can do it, just to varying degrees). -- this might also be the root of the "DLX cancel"

Platform snapping is also something that i didn't see in here. If there is a moving platform, like on smashville/ lylat, while moving upward through the platform, if you tap down right as you're passing through it, you'll stand on the platform canceling the rest of your jump (as if you'd wavelanded downward onto it -- except w/o lag).

tect

Smash Journeyman
that's what we've been talking about the past page or so, but thanks for mentioning it. it'll be added to the OP soon i should think

fouxs2

Smash Cadet
Can someone help me out with Scraping and DLX Canceling?
With DLX canceling, I use the upsmash with Falco just as I hit with the dash attack, nothing, it's way slower than in the video, should I use the C-Stick for both? Use the control stick for the dash attack and C-Stcik for the USmash? What?

As for scraping, Dedede does it on stage, and I tried it, but can't seem to do it right... Can someone give me a step by step please? By DI away from the stage, he means pushing the control stick upwards right (if the stage is below you)?

Damax

Smash Lord
Can someone help me out with Scraping and DLX Canceling?
With DLX canceling, I use the upsmash with Falco just as I hit with the dash attack, nothing, it's way slower than in the video, should I use the C-Stick for both? Use the control stick for the dash attack and C-Stcik for the USmash? What?
it doesn't matter how you pull it. Tap jump off might help. otherwise, its all about doing it quickly enough. the timing is fast.

PimpUigi

BRoomer
BRoomer
What does Kara stand for anyway ?
Kara-canceling is just what the guy who invented it, called it.

It was either SF3, or Alpha 3, and they found out you could cancel the first few frames of an attack, into a grab, to increase the range of your grab.

I vote we either call it Kara-smashing, or Wave-smashing.

Damax

Smash Lord

It was either SF3, or Alpha 3, and they found out you could cancel the first few frames of an attack, into a grab, to increase the range of your grab.

I vote we either call it Kara-smashing, or Wave-smashing.
Basically its a player made name for an attack canceled into grab.

I'm glad you don't make the how to play video. this is brawl not SF3 and Kara really have NO ****ing reason to be used. Wave-Smashing is as dumb. Wavedash was okay since it did a somewhat wave because the character was crounching to do the dash/slide.

Sliding Up smash is a better name.

Choppah

Smash Rookie
Kara is the Japanese word for "empty". In SF games, you can cancel moves such as crouching roundhouse into hadouken. For this to occur, the crouching roundhouse (or sweep in most cases) must connect. The word "kara" is used because you are canceling a move that doesn't connect.

Thus, the term kara-cancel translates to an "empty" cancel, which cancels a normal move into another move without requiring a hit. In SF3, kara-cancelling can be used with special moves such as a shoryuken or a throw, adding the first frame(s) of the move that was canceled. Because the 1st move was canceled, you maintain the position of the canceled move (which may have pushed you some pixels forward or backward) and do the 2nd move in its place.

In brawl, we cancel the dash attack's first few frames into the up-smash resulting in the sliding up-smash because of the maintained momentum of the dash attack. In some cases as stated in previous posts, the kara-smash will do little for certain characters whose dash attack frames cannot be exploited. I apologize for assuming that it does not work for all characters without proper and extensive testing. Perhaps we should make a list of the characters it is most useful for?

As for the DLX cancel, it is most like regular canceling.

Basically its a player made name for an attack canceled into grab.

I'm glad you don't make the how to play video. this is brawl not SF3 and Kara really have NO ****ing reason to be used. Wave-Smashing is as dumb. Wavedash was okay since it did a somewhat wave because the character was crounching to do the dash/slide.

Sliding Up smash is a better name.
Every advanced technique discovered is a named agreed upon by the community, yet many people are trying to name new techniques after themselves.

The term kara-smashing should be the proper name as it has been around for quite a while in the fighting game community. Not only that, but even the term "wavedashing" was picked up from other fighting games such as Tekken and Marvel vs Capcom. Wavedashing is any technique that decreases the lag between dash animations.

Despite the origin of the term wavedashing, the term wave-smashing could also be acceptable because the wavedash was such a big influence on the SSB community. It's evident because everyone is trying to find the new superwavedash or anything that slides your character backwards or forwards for that matter. The prefix "wave" may be stuck on smash games to come because of this. Pick whichever term you please, but as a big fan of fighting games, I'll choose to call this technique kara-smashing.

smasher32

Smash Journeyman
Can someone tell me if this has been found yet? I don't think it's worth making a new topic just for one thing that really isn't too "advanced".

I was playing some Brawl yesterday and while I was ducking, I turned the other way. Basically, I found out you can do crouching turns. In the ducking position (lets say facing right for this example), while using the crouch attack (d-tilt), hit down-left. Once you finish the attack, your character will turn the other way. This might be useful for a d-tilt in the opposite directions or jabs, but it isn't very practical :laugh:.

studly

Smash Ace
dang man

some of those are very useful

ive been working on finding new AT's in brawl bust so far all that i have found by myself werre on that list

furyberserk

Smash Apprentice
The motor mouth thing doesn't work, or at least not much. I tested it out about 40 time when it fully charged. I had two Warios on battle field and the motor mouth only helped out about 3 seconds, but that most likely been a fluke. Though I wouldn't want to put up imagenary ideas up, it would be better for Kirby's starshot if he could spit out items after he eats it. The startshot does damage but seems useless as an attack.

Doval

Smash Lord
Though I wouldn't want to put up imagenary ideas up, it would be better for Kirby's starshot if he could spit out items after he eats it. The startshot does damage but seems useless as an attack.
Star Shot has undeniable potential for Teams.

1) The character in the projectile is completely invincible until the attack ends. This makes it relatively safe.
2) The star shot can be cancelled by performing a move once you've travelled slightly less than half the max distance it can go. This allows for combos - a Fox that's been shot out can up-air right after the Star connects, and Jigglypuff can even land Rest.
3) The Star Shot allows a character to safely and quickly travel a very long horizontal and vertical distance, allowing Kirby or Dedede's partner to get much further away from the edge than normal without using any of their jumps, allowing for long-distance edgeguarding that would otherwise not be possible.

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
The following errors occurred when this message was submitted:
Adi has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space.

ahahahaha jeez Adi :bee:

Well, here's what I wouldn've sent you:

In case nobody's PM'd you this yet, Scotu's thread "The Physics of Attacks (DI included)" should definately be added to the General Mechanics section, as many players still don't know about this stuff. Though you should note that he's incorrect about ASDI not being in and SDI not being doable w/ the c-stick.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=155409

Also, I made a thread about tripping your opponent ("sweeping") that explains it in depth and lists attacks that can cause trip and at what percentages, which also explores grounded hit-states.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=149978&highlight=huargh

And there's a lot of good stuff in the C-Stick Compendium, but that's already stickied so I don't know if you want to put that in...

So make with the updates! :bee:
This is getting silly, a Mod needs to step in now. I don't think Adi has the necessary time to keep up with this thread, so someone should just recreate a new version, or a Mod should edit the OP with updates. :bee:

aznegglover

Smash Journeyman
I'm not too sure if this is me being stupid, or if it was mentioned yet or not, but when I QD, I seem to be able to cancel it sort of by bashing the A button.

Like.. QD -> Bash Neutral A = Your QD kinda stops and you stand there Neutral A-ing

Dragmire

Smash Lord
Not really sure it's a useful technique but I've found some various uses for it

when on the ledge you have the option to

1. roll
2. fall then jump again
3. attack
4. super jump from the edge

I'm using #4 in this case and manipulating it to better uses

try just simply jumping from the edge but rather than floating in the air helplessly try jumping again immediately by pressing X or Y (whatever is preffered by you) then use a quick aerial to attack at a low elevation after super edge jumping

haven't tested it with everyone yet but ganon forward B is good as well as many chars Nairs especially meta's

don't know if it's useful but I felt like posting it no name either

Snakeee

Smash Master
So you mean to tell me you cant DI or tech this at all? Cause it sure looks that way
You can tech, and actually someone (Ninja Link) just told me that to set this up with any character is probably (hopefully) too much. You should be able to avoid getting caught in that easily.

ZodiakLucien

Smash Ace
you have to miss a tech for the lock to work. once it starts though theres not much you can do till its over. Standing next to the person while they miss a tech to start it is really hard. Seems something that would happen once in a while and not forced.

cmin

Smash Ace
too lazy to see if this is already known but dash dancing is possible. Its no falcon dash dance from melee or anything, but its still a DD. kinda like sheiks in melee. dont flame me im just throwing it out there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom