• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Compilation of New Techniques/Discoveries (Updated 3.17.08)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobbin

Smash Apprentice
Hi

I don't know where to post this and I didn't want to make a new thread, so...

I fought a level 9 falco a minute ago and after I sent him flying he suddenly made a strange red flash thing... I don't know what that was, but maybe it's a new technique? It occured when he air-dodged (I believe).
I was able to save the replay, but I can't record videos. If anyone is interested, I could send it to you so you could have a look... It happened near the end of the replay.

greetz

sibladeko

Smash Rookie
though snake and company DOESN'T have to hit anyone to do it. failed! :p
Cancelling moves that don't connect into other moves to increase range, never heard of that before, nope.
It sure as hell didn't exist in 3rd strike with Makoto's grabs, or Ken's double shoryuken combo :laugh:

It's a kara cancel. (Kara is the Japanese word for empty.)
Period.
****'s been around for longer than most of you have been born.

Damax

Smash Lord
Cancelling moves that don't connect into other moves to increase range, never heard of that before, nope.
It sure as hell didn't exist in 3rd strike with Makoto's grabs, or Ken's double shoryuken combo :laugh:

It's a kara cancel. (Kara is the Japanese word for empty.)
Period.
****'s been around for longer than most of you have been born.
**** that name weeabuu. empty space **** cancel would be better.

tect

Smash Journeyman
Hi

I don't know where to post this and I didn't want to make a new thread, so...

I fought a level 9 falco a minute ago and after I sent him flying he suddenly made a strange red flash thing... I don't know what that was, but maybe it's a new technique? It occured when he air-dodged (I believe).
I was able to save the replay, but I can't record videos. If anyone is interested, I could send it to you so you could have a look... It happened near the end of the replay.

greetz
what did this red flash thing do?

Mobbin

Smash Apprentice
thought as much. no offence. ^__^
Nah, I knew the responses would be like yours :D
But I'm not a pro, so I can't analyse what it was or if it did anything...
But it definately looked very sexy :laugh:

Edit: If someone wants to see the replay, PM me... I'll come back tomorrow :ohwell:

sibladeko

Smash Rookie
**** that name weeabuu. empty space **** cancel would be better.
Kara cancel is as Wapanese as saying hadouken, but I guess you were born after 4chan was created so it's permeated your childhood.

You want to rewrite 10 year old fighting game (yeah I went there) terminology describing the exact same thing, be my guest.
Seriously, rename it to DLX or empty space cancel or boost smashing or running attack into upsmash and acronym it all nicely.

Just it was in other games first, and it already had a name.

Magus420

Smash Master
It had a name in Melee too and it was called boost grabbing or dash attack cancelled grabbing, where if you cancel some dash attacks the lunge forward from it makes them move further. Same thing here only you can also cancel it with an u-smash now.

Damax

Smash Lord
Kara cancel is as Wapanese as saying hadouken, but I guess you were born after 4chan was created so it's permeated your childhood.

You want to rewrite 10 year old fighting game (yeah I went there) terminology describing the exact same thing, be my guest.
Seriously, rename it to DLX or empty space cancel or boost smashing or running attack into upsmash and acronym it all nicely.

we don't have to name things like we where japanese. come back from tokyo back to earth.

I don't ****ing know what the ****'s that 4chan crap

DACU Dash attack cancelled into up smash and sounds sexy while prononced. You can say DaKou to make it feel more japonese you know?

PimpUigi

BRoomer
BRoomer
Kara cancelling FTW
Everyone instantly knows what it is if they're used to being an advanced player.

Of course, Kara cancelling, is canceling something into a grab.

jb254

Smash Apprentice
I was going to post this on a new thread but I didn't want to get insulted, so hopefully this is the right place for this:

I don't know if this technique is already well known, but I discovered it while playing as MetaKnight. I haven't tested it with any other character so they might not be able to do it, and I have only used the GC controller so it might not work with other ones...

Crouch-Dashing
While holding down, swing the analog stick quickly to the down-forward position. This will cause your character to go from crouching into running instantly. However, this only works in the direction that you are facing.

I assume this is useful for counterattacking after a crouch-cancel (if that still exists in Brawl, I haven't checked yet). After a CC, dash and attack/grab.

Lenca

Smash Journeyman
lucarios dair helps him from getting smashed off the map...go back and forth on stick to gain momentum and dair...everyone probably already knows this

The_Dyne

Smash Journeyman
Omnigamer had shown this in on of his videos. He used the name "ledge warp", which I find more fitting.
Also, is there a list of who can do the boost Usmash?

_Falco_

Smash Rookie
This is a relatively minor technique to use for a single character, but I have found it to be very helpful ( and funny ) in some situations. It is also very easy to do consistently.

How to make it happen:

1) Pick Bowser
2) Fall towards the ground ( by jumping up and falling or being hit up. )
3) When you are very close to the ground, use a down aerial ( make it so you haven't turned over yet when you hit the ground. Starting the move while I was right at Pit's head height made it always work. A small roar from Bowser as you land indicates that you have the timing right.

Side effects: Why do the above steps?

Helpful side effect.

Bowser normally has some lag when he hits the ground, doing the above steps gets rid of almost all of it.

Funny side effect.

When you do the above steps while short-hopping around, Bowser appears to be jumping around while letting of a small roar each times he lands

Hope this helps all of you Bowser players out there !!!

Choppah

Smash Rookie

I was talking to my friend about some helpful techniques of brawl and I also referred to this dash attack cancel as kara smashing. I also play SF 3rd Strike and there are such things as kara shoryuken and kara throws which cancel the first few frames of a normal attack to add range to the shoryuken or throw. In brawl's case, you cancel the first few frames of a dash attack to gain the momentum of that attack for your up-smash. Kara cancel smash or kara smashing is the way to go. DLX canceling is not only a selfish name for something that has already been around for years, but an ugly sounding one at that.

tect

Smash Journeyman
@7734

it's not exactly a dash-canceled upsmash, it's canceling a dash ATTACK with an upsmash. it's not on the first page because it hasn't been updated in a while, but i'm sure someone sent a PM to Adi already about it

comboking

Smash Master
You don't need the c-stick for this technique, you can do it with the regular analog stick controls. It's more difficult, but possible. This entire technique revolves around performing the button combo for the special move, and then turning around before the actual move is executed. It's sort of a very quick left-right motion while hitting B on the first direction. You have to hit the move in one direction and quickly turn around before it finishes, so you end up doing the move backwards midair.

some guy on youtube said this about B-Sticking and I wonder if it is true if it is then we can do B-sticking without the use of the C-Stick

Damax

Smash Lord
You don't need the c-stick for this technique, you can do it with the regular analog stick controls. It's more difficult, but possible. This entire technique revolves around performing the button combo for the special move, and then turning around before the actual move is executed. It's sort of a very quick left-right motion while hitting B on the first direction. You have to hit the move in one direction and quickly turn around before it finishes, so you end up doing the move backwards midair.

some guy on youtube said this about B-Sticking and I wonder if it is true if it is then we can do B-sticking without the use of the C-Stick
its doable without the C stick. just smash the control stick around while pressing B LOL

seriously its just about smashing the control stick at the good time.

asob4

Smash Champion
kind of confused on hitbox

what is this?(hitbox) from what i read on a thread about pits useless things it says when he utilts his blade is not a hitbox.(when it first hits the ground) this to me means it a spot in which a character can be struck but my friends say the hitbox is the area in which an attack hits(like range of attack) is it both neither??

Meteo

Smash Rookie
When using Pit's Angel Ring(SideB) on ice, Pit will continue to slide in that direction until you stop. I think this works with other SideBs, but I'm still testing.

The Mediator

Smash Journeyman
Uuuuh... it's both. It's the area that an attack hits. If your opponent is in this area, then they get hit. An attack with a big hitbox is something like... Ike's Fsmash.

asob4

Smash Champion
so then saying "when the sword is on the floor it has no hitbox" is incorrect because it can strike an opponent laying on the ground or if they are close enough (so it has a small hitbox)? its not like when i airdodge im taking my characters hitbox away right because it has more to do with striking then recieving?

ShinobiSli

Smash Apprentice
so then saying "when the sword is on the floor it has no hitbox" is incorrect because it can strike an opponent laying on the ground or if they are close enough (so it has a small hitbox)? its not like when i airdodge im taking my characters hitbox away right because it has more to do with striking then recieving?
The swords keeps its hitbox for a period of time when striking the floor. I don't know how long it stays after striking however.

aaanddd

Its the other way around. If you and another player are about to be hit by someone's attack, and you air dodge, the other guy will still get hit. All airdodging does is give you a few quick invincibility frames, and causes attacks to pass by you. If doesn't affect the attacker at all.

The_Dyne

Smash Journeyman
Can every single character do the dash attack canceled Usmash? I can't seem to do it with Luigi or Sonic...

Damax

Smash Lord
There is no cancelling going on in this technique! You just run, and very quickly do an up smash, C-stick or no.

And yes, every character should be able to do it.
You are a moron, acting like you know jack **** but you don't.

the new ''wavedash'' makes you slide with an upsmash. its is most noticeable with Snake, Link, Wario, Sheik and to a certain point Sonic and fox.

To perform it you have to do a dash attack and immediatly do an upsmash in the first frames of the dash attack, sheik being the hardest one to pull.

for some characters it does jack **** like C.falcon, bowser, ike, ganondorf.

for some others, (assuming you dash attack using the C stick down allowing to do a dash attack instead of a smash without running animation) it gives a sliding effect just as if you had run before and did an up smash while running. It's still somehow faster. Sonic and Fox are good exemples.

Up smash while running is BASIC and doesn't cover as much distance as Dash attack canceled into up smash does for wario, snake, link, sheik.

The Mediator

Smash Journeyman
*Shrug* Meh, kill me. Don't freak out 'cause I reiterated what half the people on these boards are saying.
Jeez man, take a chill pill.

O yeah, and just saying... (this is not insulting your intelligence) you say I know "jack ****," using the term as if it is synonymous to "something," but later you say "jack ****" as if it is synonymous to "nothing."
Sorry, that was just bothering me =/

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
I oficially made a compilation of the useful techniques of brawl.

Also, 90% of the techniques listed in the first page were really funny to read and far to be called "advanced techniques" to me.

I have 6 techniques for now that I didn't really bother the name:
dash upsmash
Up B out of shield
up A out of shield
dash attack into upsmash
edgehog
run forward back air

there's also the edgehop that will be less important in brawl than it was in melee, oh well.

upsmash, for now, is just as important as arial techniques in melee as I can see with the advanced techs.

Damax

Smash Lord
*Shrug* Meh, kill me. Don't freak out 'cause I reiterated what half the people on these boards are saying.
Jeez man, take a chill pill.

O yeah, and just saying... (this is not insulting your intelligence) you say I know "jack ****," using the term as if it is synonymous to "something," but later you say "jack ****" as if it is synonymous to "nothing."
Sorry, that was just bothering me =/
Reiterating the ******** is ********. half people on the boards are newbs and ****ing dumb ***** who can't pull the DACU. If you think it does nothing, give me your wii code, I'll send you some replay so that you can see the truth. My post was informative, I'm just pissed about those who claim ****s without knowing that ****.

jack **** was a test to see if you were truly hopeless. Beside I knew what I was doing. English isn't also my primary language. I always wanted to use jack **** :ohwell:

@wak: I think its important that you show faster hugging technique as it seems to be the only way to edgehog easily in brawl. If you've watched some lucky's sonic vid, he does that quite often to get on the edge. its basically run out to edge, fastfall, hold stick toward the stage. Its not BIG but it is seriously the closest we have to wavedash, fast fall, edgehog (which was pretty useful in melee)

Talon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talon
3DS FC
0404-8185-5062
I've mastered DXL with Falco.Now I'm trying with Fox and with no results.Is Foc unable to do this?o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom