• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Compilation of New Techniques/Discoveries (Updated 3.17.08)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
should I or can anyone copy paster the original OP and update it and then post it as a new thread? it seems Adi hasn't been to smashboards for quite a while...

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
Amazing, this is just like Bowser's Flame, cancel. This is great news for Link, but hopefully not for Toon Link though, he's already pretty much top tier.
It works for toon link. It works very well for toon link! He can just fit a land-cancelled arrow into a shorthop after doing a bair, nair, or fair. :bee:

Joskun

Smash Rookie
Idk if someone already posted this but I think the air dodge to throw should be replaced due to the fact that air dodging doesn't take your jump away. I learned that from hugs
I perform it several times. Aslo you don't get helplessness from airdodge so ya you can pretty much add another attack or another jump after airdodging .

i've done it without landing a hit with the dash attack...
Yep I did it too but it is harder because the timing it tighter than if you would hit the opponent. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVjwnlB47S8
It's a lot superior because you can apply it to alot of use without actually hitting someone like evading gaining speed too catch up with an oponent with high %. I've seen one with Falco & Wario (range is decent)
But I just did it with Link and it's pretty badass. 1st time range was ok and second time range was pretty darn good. Timing is tight but I'll post a vid soon.

ptown

Smash Ace
cool, joskun.

i didn't know you could do that with link. post a vid.

Gr00ve

Smash Rookie
Why isn't Squirtle's Shellshifting included in this?
Because Adi either disappeared or is lazy. :| So irritating, I wish somebody would recreate this thread and sift through the garbage posts. I know I'm too irresponsible or I'd do it myself.

Joskun

Smash Rookie
cool, joskun.

i didn't know you could do that with link. post a vid.
There you go. Link's DLX Hit Cancel CONFIRM
I heard a lot of people were discussing the name of the technique. Are we sticking to DLX hit cancel or just hit cancel. Hit cancel by itself is too vague. We need something that will describe the technique which is the dash attack canceled into an up smash. But I still think DLX sound cool.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
There you go. Link's DLX Hit Cancel CONFIRM
I heard a lot of people were discussing the name of the technique. Are we sticking to DLX hit cancel or just hit cancel. Hit cancel by itself is too vague. We need something that will describe the technique which is the dash attack canceled into an up smash. But I still think DLX sound cool.
The real question is: Does the dash attack hitbox actually come out before the upsmash starts?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
There is a recovery tactic that appears to be specific to characters like DK and Bowser. At least I've only seen it work or have noticable applications with them.

When DK and Bowser use their Up-B, when it finishes, it takes a moment before they completely enter the helpless free fall animation. If you can land on the ground before this happens, they land on the ground WITHOUT THE HORRIBLE ENDING LAG.

It's situational, but effective when it does happen. It works best on a stage with platforms. I wish to call it Recovery L-cancel.

ON this video, it happens at about 2:19. Normally, Donkey Kong falls on his back after using his aerial Up-B, but not if he properly spaces it above a platform. http://youtube.com/watch?v=wYwPHfN2ItU

VA

Smash Hero
I've had brawl for 2 days now.
I think I've found a couple of extensions to techniques, possibly some new ones.

Firstly, remember how mew2king was infamous for his frame perfect waveland recoveries on FD, this technique is still usable. When hanging on the ledge, drop down and jump back as if you were going to re-grab it again. As you are rising, hold the control stick towards the stage and then press air dodge. If done incorrectly it will look like you have airdodged low back on to the level. If done correctly you appear to do a perfect waveland with absolutely no landing lag. This is harder to do as heavier characters such as Dedede and Ganon. From this you can dash, shield, grab, roll or attack instantly upon landing.

An extension to the Dair Platform Stall: As your character goes through a platform hit down on the control stick and your character will appear in a standing animation with no lag. This is easily visible on a full hop with Snake (press down at the peak of your jump) on the middle platform on Lylac Cruise.

I will try to get some videos up in the next few days so you can see exactly what I mean.

I don't know how useful these techniques will be, or if they have been mentioned before, but I thought they were worth mentioning.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=150541

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
Dmbrandon said:
Most characters can do this. We know the spacies can't. How it works:
Jab once of twice, and during the last few frames of the second jab, you can shield quickly (Press the button, the shield shouldn't appear) and break it into either another jab, tilt, smash jump, grab or roll. People like Ike, and DeDeDe use this to it's maximum potential.
I don't think you need to press L for this AT ALL, I haven't noticed any difference whatsoever whether I press L or not. :bee:

Fliperotchy

Smash Journeyman
i have something strange but didn't know where to put it.

if you crouch and hit the c-stick down, you do a d-tilt, but with any other direction or tilt, ro just do a smash. ie: tilt forward and do any c-stick direction.

could this be useful in any way? could you do this in melee and i never noticed? haha.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I got something people should totally look into... I think Zelda's f-smash con reflect some slow-moving projectiles... The ones i noticed it with were Peach's turnips and Ice Climbers little icicle things they slide... just a small observation...
No, that is a property of those projectiles. They do NOT get reflected. They just bounce off.

Remian

Smash Rookie
When you dash forward then turn back and quickly dash forward again, the last forward dash has no turning animation whatsoever. Very similar to that one technique in Melee, except much more subtle and very useful in Brawl. I will try to get a video up, and so far I've only done it with Lucario, but I figure it will work with other fighters.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Pikachu has a Quick Attack Stall:

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=151405

In summary:
Why this is potentially a big deal: From what I understand, in melee pikachu's QA was used mainly for recovery and mindgames. This (QAS) not only increases the uses for both of those, but also allows you to approach with a QAS and use an aerial almost immediately afterwards. In other words, it now has a decent offensive use :D . QA is so versatile that you can come from any direction with a variety of ranges, and its so fast that opponents have to react quickly to block it, and even if they do you're usually in a good position to follow up with another attack right away.

So what is a Quick Attack Stall (QAS)?

Definition: A quick attack that allows you to stall in the air and perform aerials, jumps, etc.

So far there is only (and very likely to be the only) one way to do this, which leads us to...

How to: Basically you have to do a QA into the ground. It can be your first QA, second QA, a verticle QA, diagnol QA, short QA, whatever. Once you hit the ground, you stall for a very brief second in the air just above the ground. From this point you can do anything you would normally do after a single jump in the air (regardless of whether you already used your second jump or not).

However, because you're so close to the ground, only two practical uses have been found that I've seen or heard of. During that brief second, you can either jump, or do a dair. Trying other aerials usually just causes you to only do the landing animation when you hit the ground and not the attack because you're so close to the ground. His dair is the only exception, and on top of this the shockwave it releases can get at the opponent.
One of the many applications (read the thread for more):
Leading into an attack: Aside from doing a dair right away, if you do a QAS jump you can do an attack almost immediately after the jump (on your upward trajectory from the jump). So far I've been able to use nair, bair, and uair. Fair usually executes too late to be affective on the jumps upward trajectory (I was trying on fox, and it would only work very occasionally and even then, only shock him once or twice for really low damage. Maybe it'll be better on bigger characters?) Nair is probably the easiest and possibly most useful, but uair can set up awesome combos. For instance: QAS, uair (on upward trajectory), then nair right afterwards.

Ja

Smash Journeyman
Every tech listed in this thread needs to be listed uncofirmed. These techs were only confirmed for the Japanese version, yet the this is primarily a US crowd. At the very least the currently listed techs need to be marked Japanese version techs with a seperate part of the US techs.

bugmenot

Smash Cadet
I searched this thread, but nothing came up, so here goes.
Question: Is Meteor Cancelling still in Brawl?

Blad01

Smash Lord
Falco's Chaingrab List

Hey guys ! I'm surprised to see there is not the Falco's chaingrab !

It's pretty simple to do :

1] Grab your opponent
2] Donwn Throw
3] Do a little dash, followed by a Shield Grab (Dashing Shield Grab)
4] Connect to point 2.

You also can do others things by exemple a SHL (but i'm not sure it would work every time].

/!\ But pay attention ! This Chaingrab doesn't work on all opponents ! I began a list of the opponents who could be "chaingrabed" by Falco, and their percent :

Falco's Chaingrab List said:
Works on :

DK : 0-50
Link : 0-70
Ike: 0-45
Fox : 0-50
Ganondorf : 0-60
Wario : 0-20 (Hardly)
Snake : 0-50
Pit: 0-60
Sheik : 0-50
Dedede : 0-60
Bowser: 0-50

Doesn't work on :
Kirby
Samus

[There is maybe a little margin of error, because I mostly do that vs CPU ;)]

Adi

Smash Lord
Well after a long hiatus I'll be back and updating this thread. I'm not going to go through all the pages however so just PM me if there's something important I need to put up. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom