• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Compilation of Events and the Source of our "Snipers"

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
I decided to try and make a review of everything that's happened during this crazy experience. Please correct me, add details, or discuss in the comments. Also a lot of people have asked about where the snipes came from, so hopefully this starts to bring some clarity to the situation.

-Beginning when people were saying we shouldn't even try because of blah blah blah
-The reveal of the updated rules and MLG's lead
-Skullgirl rising as a major competitor and taking the lead
-first MIOM stream in which the match was reached in the first 10 min (totaled about 10k)
-The complacency period in which people talked about EVO as a sure thing...
-Skullgirl's stream (twentysixed) raising 15k and blowing past us... the ensuing panic
-4k anonymous donation, Salsa rumor and "this is not even my final form"
-Spirit Bomb hype and DBZ references
-Incentive campaigns spread like wildfire (raffles, giveaways, training, etc.)
-Trihex's stream x3
-Epic shirtless "mini spirit bomb" throw...
-Realization it doesn't take PayPal makes it SUPER anti-climatic lol
-SFAT winning raffle ... twice???
-ST jumping to 30k in one day
-Panic and conspiracy theories about ST...

The Final Day:

-ST's money deemed "suspicious" and the hype for ST going off a cliff.
-Stirbad showing up matching almost $1000 raised in an hour.
-Spirit Bomb pre-show with Europe's finest (including Armada and Leffen) commentating videos for $$
-Spirit Bomb MIOM stream with a $4500 match
-Ken and Waffles makes appearances on stream, Ken says it could go either way.
-Melee pulls up to almost 20k ahead at one point...
-Skullgirls stream starts and closes the gap quickly, more panic
-$11@11 to respond to closing gap (and $11.30@11:30)
-Skullgirls closes gap to 6k (66k to 60k)
-WePay internal service errors
-The Final Flash shown on stream
-The FINAL CRAZY 15 minutes of snipes, money flying everywhere
-Dust clears, and a sigh of relief:
SSBM: $94,683.81
Skullgirls: $78,760.97
-#SadlyMistaken
-Mike Z requests we listen to him, and he is super classy. He reveals a new DLC character, gotta like this guy.
-Mr. Wizard makes appearance on our stream, congratulates us, talks some details.

... WE WON!!!

This is what I have found on the source of our last-minute snipes:

-5k from Shaun Frost (Nova from Australia)
-3kish? from M2K's unnamed sniper(s) "usually around ~500 each for a BUNCH of different people"
-2.5k from Toph
-2k from Redact
-1k from Aisight
-500ish from Scar (I think he said this on stream)
-??k from Brazilians?

If I recall the snipe brought us from 66k to 94k, so that's a 28k snipe, but it's difficult to put a very definitive point at which sniping began. Some of these may have been put in before we hit 66k. If this accounting is right, just these people combined for about 14k. The other half was probably "panic donations" or a lot of smaller snipes combined and the rumored Brazilians.

I <3 U all.
GG Skullgirls, so much respect.

Brain-washed

Smash Rookie
HomeMadeWaffles made an appearance along with Ken LIVE ON STREAM... AT THE SAME TIME.
Final Flash hype at the last second.
WePay kept going down at the last 6 minutes causing mass hysteria.
"Who eva da f*** said that"- Melee isn't going to Evo -was #SadlyMistaken."
800,000 tons of HYPE.
KEN MIGHT RETURN TO SMASH AT EVO IN A BATTLE WITH SCAR, SCAR HAS TO WIN *(unconfirmed)

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
again, I didn't have any snipers. I just knew of a couple who were "common" knowledge.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
i had a few snipers waiting till the last min, altho thats like half of the stuff i was saving up

what i did specifically is:
-contact trihex and a few other speed runners (he was the main one) for the yoshi's story donation drive. i think (not 100% sure) he raised 4-5k?
https://twitter.com/trihexx / http://www.twitch.tv/trihex
-figure out how to mass message my entire friends list to a group (2k people, of which almost 500 entered)
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=333469 (first post and also last post I tried to re-explain it in a simpler way. I had Will (dK brawl player) and another friend of mine who made this thread help me in spreading word with the invites. I told others to but I think few people did but it still helped a lot).
-message about 40 famous twitter people and 5-10 deviantart people
www.twitter.com/CT_Mew2king
-make a group to link to other groups.
https://www.facebook.com/events/395118190581740/?fref=ts
-post tons, and tons of updates for several days in 3 different groups. My group, Scar's group, and the Spirit Bomb group.
-Invited 2k people (10-20% of of them showed I think on average though) to Scar's group and the spirit bomb group, updating them constantly
https://www.facebook.com/groups/317678078333267/?fref=ts / https://www.facebook.com/events/403628663054729/?fref=ts
-status updates constantly like non stop, a few 100 messages. Facebook eventually stopped letting me send messages cuz i sent too many
-tried to motivate everyone all the time as well as update them with strats
-bunch of posts and threads on smashboards so people could spread word easier
-gamefaqs post which i doubt did much.
-telling everyone to spread word any time i messaged them with the donation link
-Several secret snipers, total was near 10k from those (in case we needed a last 15-minute push)
-donated 200 myself which i made sure the spirit bomb doubled to 400

shaun frost ("nova") was my main sniper, who sniped 5k at the end, but also did 2k earlier on. He was my main secret sniper, although i contacted a lot of different people for many 100s of dollar sniper donations (usually around ~500 each for a BUNCH of different people, but I don't think they want me to name them and I don't remember all of them off of memory anyway)
toph donated 2.5k at the end, and i think? some before then

i desperately wanted to save our game and community's future really really badly lol

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
Thanks for straightening out things and gosh M2K what a massive post... Prog when you said 6k did that overlap with other people already mentioned?
I'll update this soon for accuracy.

:phone:

prog

Thanks for straightening out things and gosh M2K what a massive post... Prog when you said 6k did that overlap with other people already mentioned?
I'll update this soon for accuracy.

:phone:
yeah, my 6K was nova and toph before toph decided to go super saiyan.

Tse

Smash Cadet
Big thank you for the mega-donators.

"Redact, Brazil, Scar, Prog, Mysterious 4K donor. I know there's much more, but I can't name you all. I was really scared at the last couple of minutes, but you guys pulled through some amazing 5-digit numbers. This community is incredible, to the hundreds/thousands of little donors, to the snipers, to the guys organizing streams, oddler, trihex, this is like a dream come true and I'm glad I stayed up for this. So much hype"

SheerMadness

Smash Master
It wasn't all snipers that last 15 mins. No way it could have been.

I'm betting at least half of that last 15 mins was from smaller panic donations from people in the stream. I know I donated a small sum again in the last 15 mins. I know a crap ton more people in the stream were panic donating.

There were around 1300 ppl in the stream. If at least 100-500 ppl were panic donating anywhere between 5-100 dollars, which seems plausible to me, that's a crap ton of money.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Aisight sniped with about $1K I believe, but I'm sure he donated well over $1K over the entire process of the donation. He's a pretty generous dude.

prog

Aisight sniped with about $1K I believe, but I'm sure he donated well over $1K over the entire process of the donation. He's a pretty generous dude.
Yeah, he had I think about 50 entries in my giveaway.

Top Bottom