• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

Kokiden

Smash Ace
In the case of:ultjoker:, it might be because of two things (I'm using this site as a reference: https://ultimateframedata.com/joker.php ).

The first thing is that depending on where you look, several of Joker's hitboxes aren't actually that lenient (base Joker's anyway), and are in most instances strictly mapped to his dagger or his legs, like with his forward tilt or DSmash. This holds especially true for his UAir and NAir (the former of which only covers the tip of his legs), which combined with his slippery movement can make them easy to miss without good timing. Funny enough, two of his attacks that don't follow this criteria - dash attack and BAir, both which have hitboxes not mapped to a part of Joker - are some of his best melee attacks, especially BAir. People like to make fun of how massive the Arsene version is (and rightfully so), but even its base version has some pretty generous hitbox placements that cover quite a healthy chunk o' area behind him.

The second thing is most likely an instance of animation implications. There are several moments where moves' animations' imply they should be more active than they actually are (Joker's DTilt is the biggest criminal of this, as well as most "baseball slide" moves in general). Wario's nerfed UTilt is a prime example of this, where the duration of that move's attack frames were reduced, but no changes to its animation were made, leading to a fairly bizarre - and frankly, misleading - animation. Arc-type attacks are also pretty guilty of misleading animations, where most "swing"-type attacks (like Ike's UAir) have animations that cover a lot more area than the move itself actually does.

The second point isn't really unique to Joker. It's something that pops up with a LOT of characters in the game.
Huh. Interesting.

I wonder if the team are aware of this, and plan on fixing it?

There have been many instances where it just phases through when it's obvious it should have connected.

Things don't just "phase through", bro.
You can look up his hitboxes and see for yourself.
Joker's hitboxes are pretty damn generous all things considered.
View attachment 307311View attachment 307312

Either
1: You're mistaking the weapon trails he has for being actual hitboxes when they're just visual flair.
2: Using one of Joker's more precise moves that only have hitboxes where the visual "attack" is (up air, nair, side B)

I really can't feel any sympathy for Joker of all characters when Marth exists.
... you're ignoring what I'm saying though.

It literally phases through.

I've even seen it happen with Bayo's smash attacks. The other guy is right where they hit box should be, and nothing happens.

Stuff seems janky at times.

If you don't like Joker, that's fine I guess, but doesn't mean you should discount it just because other characters have problems too.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Huh. Interesting.

There have been many instances where it just phases through when it's obvious it should have connected.

... you're ignoring what I'm saying though.

It literally phases through.

I've even seen it happen with Bayo's smash attacks. The other guy is right where they hit box should be, and nothing happens.

Stuff seems janky at times.

If you don't like Joker, that's fine I guess, but doesn't mean you should discount it just because other characters have problems too.
Well Bayo's Smash attacks are deceptively smaller than what the animation implies. As for Joker, his moves are mostly very narrow. He requires a lot of precision, which not only takes getting used to, but is much more difficult with online lag. I would recommend Cloud or Ike for online play, as their moves are much more forgiving.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
SWT: Mexico (348 Entrants)

1st: Sparg0 :ultcloud:
2nd: MkLeo:ultpyra::ultbyleth:
3rd: Maister:ultgnw:
4th: Chag:ultpalutena:
5th: AlanDiss:ultsnake:
5th: Nair^:ultridley::ultcloud::ulthero2::ultdarksamus:
7th: Stronghold:ultmario::ultwolf:
7th: BigBoss:ultrob:
9th: WaKa:ultluigi::ultduckhunt:
9th: Cloudy:ultpyra:
9th: Andrik:ultfalcon:
9th: Bonilla:ultrob:
13th: Pollo:ultbowser::ultgnw:
13th: Tury:ultchrom:
13th: Ang:ulttoonlink:
13th: Panda:ultinkling:
17th: Nalga:ultdk:
17th: Rinku:ultrobin:
17th: Skyjay:ultincineroar:
17th: Xtorm:ultsnake:
17th: Regi Shikimi:ultgnw:
17th: Cobra:ultpyra::ultmario: (DQ'ed)
17th: Leaf:ultdaisy::ultpeach::ultbayonetta:
17th: Eeveecario:ultlucario:

First big online event of 2021. Ultimate as a whole has been kinda stagnate in terms of big tournaments, as we are now 1 year stuck in the online meta.

Edit: Since he qualified for the SWT by getting top 6 here, MkLeo wanted to DQ himself, but he decided to stick through it anyways.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
(Quote edited for the purpose of this post)

First big online event of 2021. Ultimate as a whole has been kinda stagnate in terms of big tournaments, as we are now 1 year stuck in the online meta.

Those eight did qualify for the Central American Regional (August 21st-22nd, 16 players, Top 6 of the Regional qualify to the Global Finals): Andrik and Cloudy took the Last Chance qualifier spots. The Central America South region have the other 8 regional spots split the same way.

Sparg0, Maister and MKLeo played consistently really well en route to qualify - but one thing I noticed is that people like Andrik, Xtorm and Cloudy played rather well vs. those respectively, and it kinda proves that the skill gap between the former three and other players from the region is not as big as most might expect. Still, those three are very likely going to be considered heavy favorites to take 3 of the C.A. regional's 6 Global spots. Sure, anything can happen in 5 months, but I personally feel it will still be the case.

The Central America South qualifier is in 2 weeks time (March 26th-28th): Some notable players that might (and will probably in some cases, based on their online activity) participate include:

Yei (🇨🇷 ) :ultmetaknight:
Sharpy (🇩🇴 ) :ultincineroar:
Sonix (🇩🇴 ) :ultsonic:
Luisfer (🇸🇻 ) :ultfox:
(Really late edit): ShinyMark (🇬🇹 ) :ultpikachu:
[Mayyybe Excel_Zero (🇵🇷 ) :ultdaisy:? That seems like a minor chance to me.]

Far from as stacked as Mexico in terms of names, but the players from this qualifier will not be punching bags. Still, those who qualify through CAS will generally come into the Regional as underdogs compared to the Mexican players. Sonix stands out to me as the foremost of the group, and could certainly snatch one of the six Global spots.

The next SWT Qualifier will be the Oceania Qualifier (This Saturday to this Sunday). Since SWT considers Oceania one region instead of a "fused" one like Mexico + CAS, top 12 at the Oceania qualifier + top 4 at the Last Chance will proceed to the Oceania Regional. The Oceania Regional - June 25th to 27th - has one slot at the Global finals. That qualifier's still going to be important for Ben Gold, Extra and others that might enter, for similar reasons that this past Mexican qualifier was. Scouting out each others' habits and if people have picked up new mains / secondaries etc.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend

Edit: Since he qualified for the SWT by getting top 6 here, MkLeo wanted to DQ himself, but he decided to stick through it anyways.
Regi won a game with Plant.
A month or two ago I said Cloud is top tier online, largely due to his buffs. Spargo's many victories reinforce that.
Every character has losing matchups in this game, even top tiers will often have 5-10 losing MUs. Besides, if you counter-pick him he could just counter-pick your counter-pick for the next game. Ned's Sephiroth seems promising by the way, I think he'll use it for more than just G&W. Anyway, a lot of top tier characters have only a few notable players, it's not too surprising in a game with around 80 characters. If G&W isn't top 15 he'll be at least close to it, even if we consider the "very few players play him" objection, no? OrionStats had him at #16 before covid (and chances are his results are better now, like I doubt Inkling is top 15 still). I do think G&W got a bit worse due to Sephiroth and Min Min and Pyra/Mythra being added to the game, all which seem like likely losing matchups. Still, G&W should have a good shot at being top 15 or at least top 20, I think.

MkLeo was doing a good job making it hard for Sparg0 to edgeguard by throwing out a Blazing End to cover his recovery or by going low to up-B. Pyra's recovery may not be amazing but it's still an Ultimate recovery and it's really not as bad as some people make it out to be (though if you can gimp her she dies early).
I agree with all this. My point was that G&W is a solid high tier at top 20 but not top ten.

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Huh. Interesting.

They most likely won't be making any direct animation changes, especially if their previous patch notes (particularly the nerf to Wario's UTilt) is anything to go by.

In fact, their start-up buffs to moves don't even involve directly changing the animation itself but instead writing a frame speed modifier (FSM) in that move's source code that speeds up the animation of the attack instead. For example, Kirby's DSmash being changed from frame 10 to 7 in a recent buff was actually them giving a 0.25 FSM to the first four frames of the move's start-up which makes the move come out on frame 7.

It's pretty interesting (and kinda confusing) stuff.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
<

eah MKLeo did say kinda slummed though the GF set with Sparg0 and did not care about winning. It was mostly due to fatigue and burnout according him. It seems he actullay plans to keep using :ultjoker:as his main once offline starts despite recent DLC brining out viable sword characters :ultsephiroth::ultpyra:. Considering we say what MKLeo could do only really using Pyra who is considered the lesser of the Pair?

Maybe he just likes playing Joker more. Maybe he thinks he needs to practice Pyra/ Myhtra more before he is condifent playing them offline how he played Pyra may work as well in an online . I cannot really see him wanting to completely drop the Aegis pair, especially how dominant he seemed using primarily the "worse" one of the duo

I don't see Leo competely dropping the Aegis pair

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
<

eah MKLeo did say kinda slummed though the GF set with Sparg0 and did not care about winning. It was mostly due to fatigue and burnout according him. It seems he actullay plans to keep using :ultjoker:as his main once offline starts despite recent DLC brining out viable sword characters :ultsephiroth::ultpyra:. Considering we say what MKLeo could do only really using Pyra who is considered the lesser of the Pair?

Maybe he just likes playing Joker more. Maybe he thinks he needs to practice Pyra/ Myhtra more before he is condifent playing them offline how he played Pyra may work as well in an online . I cannot really see him wanting to completely drop the Aegis pair, especially how dominant he seemed using primarily the "worse" one of the duo

I don't see Leo competely dropping the Aegis pair
Aegis pair are helpful for some matchups I'd think, but the only reason Leo doesn't play Joker online is he doesn't want to mess up his offline Joker, so it's no surprise that he plans on using Joker offline.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
That is if Sephy doesn't get in the way :p
From what I can tell he doesn't seem very interested in Sephiroth, although it's not implausible that he'd change his mind if he played offline Sephiroth. It seems pretty likely that he's going to main Joker when offline comes back, but perhaps he'll use Pyra/Mythra as a secondary? We'll see, I guess.

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
Leo doesn’t from what he says atleast enjoy playing wifi and the way Leo plays Joker just isn’t as effective online due to the inability to react to stuff consistently when your having to deal with constantly changing frame delays. Good luck consistently ledge trapping anyone the way Leo does offline, when playing online. It’s not a surprise he’ll be back at it with Joker when offline makes its return. As far as the Aegis goes he seems to really just enjoy the characters much like Byleth so you’ll probably see more of them from him as well when offline returns.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Joker, at least Aresene less Joker really does suffer from Online Sheik syndrome, so yeah he ain't as good overall in it

Yeah Sepiroth will reach his final form once offline starts again . Sepiroth playstyle reactionary based and his biggest strengths li in edgeguarding/Trapping . All traits that transition terribly in online play.

I've been looking to pick up Seph as a secondary so I've been looking at Tweek and Zackray play him. Honestly his edguarding and trapping potential looks insane. He is threating offstage of course with his huge giant hitboxes combined good mobility and high power (especially in OWA mode) topped off with a very good recovery.

But he has just many options to deny ledgegrabbing . Name it f-tilt, d-tilt, , F-Smash and even Scintilla Counter

Sepiroth seems like a character Leo could do very well with, but then again he can work wonders for any character using a sword

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Speaking of potential co-maining... or in this case, "quint-maining" lel.
So Void is approaching that territory huh?

:4pacman:

Edit: Nah, but seriously, props to him if he can manage all five. I'd imagine he'd practice specific characters vs. specific matchups, but still.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
So Void is approaching that territory huh?

:4pacman:

More like he joining the ranks of Tweek and Zackray territory where they main like 6 or more characters.

Speaking of Tweek. I know he plans on maining Seph once offline starts again but I wonder if he will also use Diddy as Tweek had been using mostly him in online. Tweek seems to like playing Diddy as well. Perhaps is a sikilar situation to MKLeo using Byleth online

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Speaking of potential co-maining... or in this case, "quint-maining" lel.
So far with Mythra we have seen Spargo win a Juicebox, MKLeo get 2nd, Lui$ top 8 and now Void says he's maining. Mewtwoking and other youtubers have released videos title Mythra's the best character in Ultimate. It's only been 2 tournaments. I expect to see a lot more from the duo.
---------------------
Using multiple characters is something I'd recommend for everyone. Ultimate is a well balanced game and mixing up your playstyle can be a big advantage. My main is :ultyounglink: but over the course of my tournament activity I've adopted Link and Wolf as secondaries. Dr.Mario can be a rough MU for YL and I lost one game but CPed Link, who can zone him with his big sword really well and won the set. I've used Wolf against swordies like Marcina. It also makes me impossible to stage CP against. When someone takes my YL to triplats, which he's weaker on, I switch to Link who controls the platforms really well with big hitboxes.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Regarding VoiD and playing 5 characters: He's a top level player, it might be possible at this level, especially since he's already so, so good with many of them. For a mid level player still learning the game playing 5 characters in tournaments would likely slow down your progress quite a bit. It's probably better to stick with one or two in that case.

Speaking of Tweek. I know he plans on maining Seph once offline starts again but I wonder if he will also use Diddy as Tweek had been using mostly him in online.
He has said that he will use both.

So far with Mythra we have seen Spargo win a Juicebox, MKLeo get 2nd, Lui$ top 8 and now Void says he's maining. Mewtwoking and other youtubers have released videos title Mythra's the best character in Ultimate. It's only been 2 tournaments. I expect to see a lot more from the duo.
Cosmos is probably going to solo main them. Frozen also is playing them, not sure how active Frozen will be in Ultimate (she seems to prefer P+), but seems Pyra/Mythra made her more interested in the game again.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
So Pyra/Mythra have lots of players.

Sepiroth has Tweek and Zackray, as well as possibly some more once Offline Starts

Min Min has Dabuz and ProtoBaham

So it looks like Season Pass 2 characters will see a lot of rep in the competitve meta

Well except for poor Steve, Is there any notable pro players using him?

TennisBall

Smash Journeyman
More like he joining the ranks of Tweek and Zackray territory where they main like 6 or more characters.

Speaking of Tweek. I know he plans on maining Seph once offline starts again but I wonder if he will also use Diddy as Tweek had been using mostly him in online. Tweek seems to like playing Diddy as well. Perhaps is a sikilar situation to MKLeo using Byleth online
He'll comain, using Diddy and Seph to cover each others bad mus.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Kome is also using Pyra and Mythra. Probably as a secondary, but he's been playing them a lot in recent tournaments and he's a Xenoblade fan.

Ned is using Sephiroth and so will Nairo when he returns.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Edit: Smash University posted a video on a bunch of top players thoughts on the nerfed and buffed characters.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
I know some people in the thread already said this, but I am impressed with the power-level of the fighters from Fighter's Pass 2 in comparison to Fighter's Pass 1.

For Fighter's Pass 1 (I will also include PPlant in this list), we only really had two characters from there make a huge, significant impact in tournaments.
We all know prevalent and powerful :ultjoker: is, the best DLC character so far (and arguably the best character in the game), as well as the first character from the Fighter's Pass.
:ult_terry: is also pretty dang good, but most people think of him as simply being "another high tier".
The rest of the characters range from merely average at best (i.e. :ultbyleth:) to outright lackluster (i.e. :ultpiranha:).
Out of the remaining four, :ultbyleth: arguably has made the most impact in competitive play, mainly thanks to MkLeo giving the character very potent results during the online meta. However, it is only really MkLeo that is currently pushing this character (as of right now), and he is very likely going to put him in the backburner when offline returns.
:ulthero: has gotten a few niche placements as a counterpick (mainly thanks to Salem), but the character hasn't really done much at all in tournaments, especially in higher levels of play. Outside of the few notable placements from Akakikusu in Japanese regionals, the character's solo results have been nearly nonexistent, and his appearances as a mere secondary have been increasingly sparse.
:ultbanjokazooie: has gotten some attention when he came out, but the character has gotten more and more rare these days. Raito himself would eventually drop the character, with the statement that the character needs buffs before he would pick them up again. The players that continue to main him hasn't really done much at all outside of the regional level, and even that is sparse outside of Japan.
And there is :ultpiranha:. Considered bottom tier since the game came out, but has gotten some notable buffs since then, the only DLC character to have received multiple buffs over time. Still, the character remains very lackluster, and outside of August 2019 where the character's results briefly exploded, the character's results is one of the most bleak and stagnate in the game. It is faring better in the online meta, but that is it really it.

Now for Fighter's Pass 2, we have so far :ultminmin:ultsteve::ultsephiroth::ultpyra:.
We all know the strength of :ultminmin so far, giving out strong results in Japan, while giving out some pretty good results in the USA online meta with the promise that the character would be even better offline. Widely considered high tier at worst, with many considering her top tier. Already we are off to a good start in comparison to Fighter's Pass 1.
:ultsteve: is where things slow down a bit. After all the initial release hype, the character feels merely average, with rather polarizing strengths (fast frame data, very damaging combos, powerful ledgetrapping) and weaknesses (near abysmal mobility, poor range, awkward/lacking neutral game). Similar to MkLeo's Byleth, Salem is the only one really pushing the character right now, and the character as a whole hasn't really picked up much attention. Japan, aka the region known for pushing weird/campy characters to their limits, hasn't really picked up on the character.
:ultsephiroth: is where things pick up again. Tweek and Zackray, two of the best players in the world, has picked up this character. Tweek intends to outright main this character alongside Diddy. So far, perception on the character has been very positive. Players mainly places him in upper high tier with the promise that the character has top tier potential when offline returns.
Edit: There is also the post above showing off a few other players thinking about picking him up. Zenyou also is interested in the character. Overall, nice outlook so far for the character.
Then there is our most recent character, :ultpyra:. I don't think any other DLC character has received more immediate, everlasting praise as this character.
So far, some DLC characters have been hyped up only to slowly but surely fall down (Hero & Banjo), or gets underplayed before rising to the elites (Joker & Min Min).
The Aegis girls have so far been considered strong at release, and is still viewed as strong even 2 weeks after the character gets released. MkLeo, Cosmos, Mew2King, Kome, and more are all interested in picking up this character for serious competitive play.

You can see the difference.
In Fighter's Pass 1, you have one top tier :ultjoker:, one solid high tier :ult_terry:, and the rest being average-at-best to lackluster :ultbyleth::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ultpiranha:.
In Fighter's Pass 2, you have three characters that are widely considered to be upper-high tier at worst and very potentially top tier :ultminmin:ultsephiroth::ultpyra:.
.... oh and Steve, who is merely average imo.
And Fighter's Pass 2 isn't even finished yet.

This is quite an interesting trend to see here.
In the past, I have noticed the notably lower power level of Fighter's Pass 1 characters, especially in comparison to SSB4's DLC. Some of the characters feel like they were given extreme weaknesses purely in order to avoid another SSB4 DLC armageddon, probably fueled further by how strong Joker (one of the earliest DLC characters) was and is.
In Fighter's Pass 2, we are given far more powerful characters so far. While the design philosophy of giving the characters polarizing weaknesses to counterbalance the strengths can be see here, they don't feel as extreme (except with Steve) and the strengths prevail notably hard. Of course, we are not getting SSB4 Bayo/Cloud levels of strength, but we are getting more consistently strong characters.

It would be interesting if this pattern continues as Fighter's Pass 2 is down to only 2 characters left.

Last edited:

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Nintendo is super protective of their IPs. Can’t say they’d like it a lot to see Smash associated with PlayStation.
Detective Pikachu is still purchasable on the Playstation Store. If they never took that down, why ban Smash from Evo?

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Nintendo has released a statement at IGN relating to Sony's acquirement of EVO, stating:

"Nintendo has enjoyed engaging with fans at past Evo tournaments and wish the show organizers the best with their new venture. We will continue to assess Evo, and other opportunities, as we plan for future online and offline Super Smash Bros. tournament activity."

So I guess we are still good?
I honestly don't really have the best idea on what this statement means, but I think it means that EVO can still run Smash Ultimate.

Last edited:

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Nintendo has released a statement at IGN relating to Sony's acquirement of EVO, stating:

"Nintendo has enjoyed engaging with fans at past Evo tournaments and wish the show organizers the best with their new venture. We will continue to assess Evo, and other opportunities, as we plan for future online and offline Super Smash Bros. tournament activity."

I honestly don't really have the best idea on what this statement means, but I think it means that EVO can still run Smash Ultimate.
Source?

blackghost

Smash Champion

idk where all this fearmongering came from. if smash gets cut form an online event its because namco and Nintendo have refused to update with the times. other devs want to put rollback netcode in old games. nintendo cant even let you change characters in a lobby. sony isnt killing smash chances in EVO online nintendo is.
Sony has been running community events and tournaments for over a year now everything from Soulcalibur to anime fighters to MK (and unlike evo they let players do fatalities on stream). Sony has been doing this becuase its profitable and gets good press with a group that is hard to reach.
THere is no reason sony would want to cut one of the games that has a playerbase that dwarfs all other games. but the game itself cant perform in an online event.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master

idk where all this fearmongering came from. if smash gets cut form an online event its because namco and Nintendo have refused to update with the times. other devs want to put rollback netcode in old games. nintendo cant even let you change characters in a lobby. sony isnt killing smash chances in EVO online nintendo is.
Sony has been running community events and tournaments for over a year now everything from Soulcalibur to anime fighters to MK (and unlike evo they let players do fatalities on stream). Sony has been doing this becuase its profitable and gets good press with a group that is hard to reach.
THere is no reason sony would want to cut one of the games that has a playerbase that dwarfs all other games. but the game itself cant perform in an online event.
I personally don't really care if Ultimate gets into EVO or not, but I know that some people do, so I like to simply relay out the news.

So far, the only games confirmed for EVO this year are Tekken 7, Street Fighter V, Mortal Kombat 11, and the soon-to-be-released Guilty Gear Strive.
The former two aren't really known for having very good online connection either, but both games are too big in the FGC to be left out.

blackghost

Smash Champion

I personally don't really care if Ultimate gets into EVO or not, but I know that some people do, so I like to simply relay out the news.

So far, the only games confirmed for EVO this year are Tekken 7, Street Fighter V, Mortal Kombat 11, and the soon-to-be-released Guilty Gear Strive.
The former two aren't really known for having very good online connection either, but both games are too big in the FGC to be left out.
they have functional online not nearly on the level of killer instinct or something like that but it works. ultimate you cant even play certain characters online.
mortal kombat gets in but its not nearly the draw now that it once was mk 11 isnt very popular sfv and tekken 7 far outpace it.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Wadi has been tearing it up lately in online tournaments, consistently placing Top 3 and even winning both a Xanadu and a Galaxy Gambit.

These highlights from Galaxy Gambit show off his ROB and Mewtwo. I've found his ROB to be way more entertaining than others I've seen, and his Mewtwo's demolishing of Sharp's Sephiroth reinforces my view that it's a winning matchup. For all of Sephiroth's strengths, Mewtwo is extremely capable of playing outside his ideal range, and actually has the frame advantage up close.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Wadi has been tearing it up lately in online tournaments, consistently placing Top 3 and even winning both a Xanadu and a Galaxy Gambit.

These highlights from Galaxy Gambit show off his ROB and Mewtwo. I've found his ROB to be way more entertaining than others I've seen, and his Mewtwo's demolishing of Sharp's Sephiroth reinforces my view that it's a winning matchup. For all of Sephiroth's strengths, Mewtwo is extremely capable of playing outside his ideal range, and actually has the frame advantage up close.

Not disrespecting WaDi as he is an incredibly good player. But Zackray has the best R.O.B paly I have ever seen. The combos and confirms I seen him do are just utterly ludicrous.

If you want to see R.O.B true form here are some highlights

In a offline tourney esrlier this year. I say him preform a 0-60 combo on Etsui's Pikachu, then 3-stock him in the same set. R.O.B apparent worst MU

Im not sure " how much" Zackray plans to use R.O.B once offline play begins. He mains like 10 characters and he plans to add Sepiroth to his rotating cast. But it would be a same for Zackray to completely drop the robot buddy

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
WaDi is a fundamentals demon.

Zackray feels very clean.

But if you guys really want to see truly outrageous ROB play I'd recommend looking up Lucretio. He has pushed ROBs advantage state to a far greater degree than any of the household names and has some excellent tutorial videos on YouTube as well.

If you recall me talking about double tossing - that is his handiwork, and we are now beginning to see it used more widely. But that's only the tip of the iceberg.

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman

I agree with my FGC YouTuber of choice Rooflemonger that the biggest threat to Smash at Evo isn't Sony but Nintendo itself.

But I am worried that Sony may try to sell Evo slots, which Nintendo Microsoft etc may not wish to pay for. I really am uneasy about a console company owning Evo. Conflicts of interest ahoy.

In brighter news, Evo was owned by the Cannon Bros, who are working on Riot's LoL fighter. So, Project L coming to PlayStation?

EDIT And shoryuken.com is down with a message about "the future of SRK"

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend

Spoilers

I just got finished watching this tournament. Before anyone claims "MKLeo didn't win, Mythra isn't broken", Leo 3-0ed both Spargo and Maester with the Ras to get into GFs winner's side. He lost to Spargo there using Dedede and Byleth. He didn't lose at all with Mythra.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Spoilers

I just got finished watching this tournament. Before anyone claims "MKLeo didn't win, Mythra isn't broken", Leo 3-0ed both Spargo and Maester with the Ras to get into GFs winner's side. He lost to Spargo there using Dedede and Byleth. He didn't lose at all with Mythra.
Some people were clamoring for Hero bans after some Thwack shenanigans, and how did that eventually shake out? We can't make snap judgements on early tournaments because it's always going to devolve to MU inexperience vs. confirmation bias.

I would also suggest caution not letting a perceived bad matchup against your main(s) color your entire perception of the character.

Top Bottom