• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
The Smash World Tour Oceania Online Qualifiers top 32 is happening how.

The first streamed match was apparently an upset with Fryd Ryce :ultpikachu:beating the #1 Ranked player in the region Jdizzle:ultyounglink: 3-2.

It may be online. its still interesting to see competitive play from a region we rarely see or hear about here

EDIT: Speaking of upsets. Khami :ultness: 3-0 Ben Gold :ultwolf:. Ben Gold is the #2 Ranked Player in the revion who got known for winning a Big Australian Tourament using solo :ultkrool:

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
The Smash World Tour Oceania Online Qualifiers top 32 is happening how.

The first streamed match was apparently an upset with Fryd Ryce :ultpikachu:beating the #1 Ranked player in the region Jdizzle:ultyounglink: 3-2.

It may be online. its still interesting to see competitive play from a region we rarely see or hear about here
And Ben Gold's :ultwolf: just got 0-3'd by Khami's :ultness: .

Not only are both Fryd Rice and Khami qualified for the Regional (I believe) but both Jdizzle and Ben Gold are on the same Loser's Side now. So now these four:

• Jdizzle vs. Coleman
  • Ben Gold vs. Ghost

Are fighting for one spot at the Regional, with the three who miss out have to go through the Last Chance qualifier.

It's already wild as hell.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The lag and just state of online is embarrassing.

If Nintendo is watching, I hope they'll do something about it, but I doubt they will.
How many times has Thinkaman gone over the fact that they probably literally can't make the online better than it is currently, or at least not to a degree that will satisfy competitive players? At least not without tearing the whole game down to rebuild it from scratch?

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
How many times has Thinkaman gone over the fact that they probably literally can't make the online better than it is currently, or at least not to a degree that will satisfy competitive players? At least not without tearing the whole game down to rebuild it from scratch?
I'm not into the technical stuff, but could you explain in layman's terms? Are there just too many characters, or complicated ones that make online such a mess?

Nah

Smash Champion
I'm not into the technical stuff, but could you explain in layman's terms? Are there just too many characters, or complicated ones that make online such a mess?
I don't know much about it myself, but it's not about characters or anything like that. iirc it's more of a hardware and coding problem and is basically something along the lines of how completely changing netcode, especially in the middle of a game's life, is rather difficult to do and not necessarily a guaranteed improvement. Part of the problem is also entirely out of the hands of the developers, since people's own internet connections play a role too.

somebody else could give you a better explanation though

blackghost

Smash Champion
Some people were clamoring for Hero bans after some Thwack shenanigans, and how did that eventually shake out? We can't make snap judgements on early tournaments because it's always going to devolve to MU inexperience vs. confirmation bias.

I would also suggest caution not letting a perceived bad matchup against your main(s) color your entire perception of the character.
hero and mythra are not the same situation. first we need to remember that there were two camps calling for hero bans. one was legit and one was overreaction. the legit concern was language concerns although mainly I saw that from American members where multiligual speakers are much less common than the rest of the world.
the other camp was trying to push the idea that hero's "rng" element was bad for smash. this was disproved by counter argyments that stated rng doesnt lead to constant character sustainability in the meta and rng elements are already prominent in smash many of which people demonstrated they either overlooked or ignored. hero never proved to be any more than a disruptor at low-level events and elite-level players never considered him to be a staying force just a cheese character.

mythra and pyra are in a completely different boat. this character has tools in all aspects of smash except deep recovery. this is not a snap judgement this is the judgment people with years of smash experience are saying and not people just making youtube videos for views but long posts here and other places. this is the first DLC of this game where the debate is where in top tier they go. not even joker at launch was seeing that.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
From what I understand (and I could be wrong here), but I think it has something to do with the fact that they have been reusing the same engine since Brawl, even with regards to the online.

The best they can do, at least right now, is manually improve the netcode gradually with time, which they have thankfully been doing.
The netcode is sill wack, but it is still in a much better state than it was at launch, believe it or not.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
My issue with a lot of the complaints is people act like Smash is the only game with online issues. As an anecdote I play SF5 from time to time but mostly with my friends in state. I live 20 minutes from my most frequent friend and even with us both playing on PC, both hard wired we STILL get lag issues on SF5 and we have decent computers. Yet I have almost no lag issues on a game like Monster Hunter when playing with friends from Texas or Arizona.

The game, the players, internet traffic at the time and other factors can make even a game with lauded netcode suck. Though, frankly, I've had very few experiences with lag in Ultimate. I don't know if that's because I tend to avoid Quick Play/Elite Smash and play strictly in Arenas (Where you can easily avoid stages that might also act as culprits to potential lag) and usually in low occupancy arenas as well. I'm always hard wired so that helps. Any lag I've experienced is usually a hiccup that sorts itself out after a moment and that's rare. I think I've only ever had 10 matches that (I can actively recall) were actually terrible and I just SD'd out of it. That's since launch.

Anecdotes be anecdotes but the only issue I have with online is just the inherent input delay but that's just something I've learned to overcome as a wi-fi warrior while waiting for locals to happen again, so it really doesn't feel off to me anymore. If that's the issue people have with the wi-fi then I feel that for sure. Though laggy, stuttery matches? I must be lucky to have avoided this kind of plague for the last few years.

Edit: Though I'm also uncertain just how many of the many games I've played in Arenas have been from folks overseas. I have to imagine I've had a fair share and I'd be doubtful the handful of truly horrible matches I had were exclusive to out-of-US players (As some of my local folks have had connections that felt like they were overseas cuz they just wouldn't hard wire XD)

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
SFV's netcode is kinda bad. Pretty much every example of bad netcodes are always delayed based netcode (most current fighting games fall here, including Smash) and SFV's botched rollback. Smash is especially egregious though because it has a minimum of 5 frames input delay online. Considering the game's native 6 frames input lag, a "perfect" online match is in total 11 frames of delay. That's garbage and is easily the worst of any modern fighting game.

My personal anecdote is that I've had matches with people that were extremely unplayable in Smash, but effectively felt like offline when playing those same people in Guilty Gear Strive. But the reason Strive can do that is because the game was built from scratch and implemented a good netcode in mind. Smash reuses assets and an engine that's over a decade old, so retrofitting rollback is a herculean task that's probably not worth it.

Personally it's a big reason why I'm hoping the next Smash game just throws the whole kitchen sink out and be completely developed from the ground up, effectively being a reboot. That way a better netcode is actually feasible, but I know I'm a minority here and most people would probably just prefer they keep adding to what's there and keep the hype machine going.

Last edited:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
SFV's netcode is kinda bad. Pretty much every example of bad netcodes are always delayed based netcode (most current fighting games fall here, including Smash) and SFV's botched rollback. Smash is especially egregious though because it has a minimum of 5 frames input delay online. Considering the game's native 6 frames input lag, a "perfect" online match is in total 11 frames of delay. That's garbage and is easily the worst of any modern fighting game.

My personal anecdote is that I've had matches with people that were extremely unplayable in Smash, but effectively felt like offline when playing those same people in Guilty Gear Strive. But the reason Strive can do that is because the game was built from scratch and implemented a good netcode in mind. Smash reuses assets and an engine that's over a decade old, so retrofitting rollback is a herculean task that's probably not worth it.

Personally it's a big reason why I'm hoping the next Smash game just throws the whole kitchen sink out and be completely developed from the ground up, effectively being a reboot. That way a better netcode is actually feasible, but I know I'm a minority here and most people would probably just prefer they keep adding to what's there and keep the hype machine going.
As much as I LOVE Ultimate and want even more content for it I'm of the same mindset that Smash needs a total overhaul for the next installment. A 'reboot' to create a new, improved framework for subsequent installments. The series deserves it. If it means going down to a smaller roster but in exchange the game gets a total re-work for the better...worth it. Because it'll be like 64 -> Melee -> Brawl all over again in terms of future additions but with a better engine XD

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

You're not alone in that regard. My biggest hope for the next game is a focus on developing a good netcode from the start. It kinda sucks when I see friends of mine that are really good players just drop the game because they're not interested in playing the botched online. It's why I feel complaints for the online shouldn't stop even if these are old complaints and nothing has or will change. The more these complaints keep piling up the more incentivized Nintendo would feel in improving their online. Rollback wouldn't have become a thing with Strive if it wasn't for the demand and complaints.

SKX31

Smash Master
I don't have much to add when it comes to the online discussion - it's well treated ground after all. But as someone who's played way too much online (not regretting it though - despite the horrendous delay I've had enjoyable matches for the most part, and close ones with pretty damn good people), I'm going to join the choir in saying "Yeah, it needs a total reboot next time around".

And the results for the SWT Oceania online qualifiers - those who qualified for the Oceania Regional in June are:

1st: 🇯🇵 Kinaji :ultsnake:
2nd: 🇦🇺 RaZe :ultdarkpit:
3rd: 🇳🇿 Ichigo :ultdarkpit:
4th: 🇦🇺 Fryd Ryce :ultpikachu:
5th: 🇦🇺 Luma :ultpalutena:
5th: 🇦🇺 SebPro101 :ultrob:
7th: 🇳🇿 Aluf :ultmario:
7th: 🇦🇺 Extra :ultgnw:
9th: 🇦🇺 Khami :ultness:
9th: 🇦🇺 Danklin :ultswordfighter:
9th: 🇦🇺 Poppt1 :ultlucina:
9th: 🇦🇺 jDizzle :ultyounglink:
LCQ 1st: 🇦🇺 Sriks :ultroy:
LCQ 2nd: 🇦🇺 Ghost :ultbrawler:
LCQ 3rd: 🇦🇺 Maplemage :ultcorrin:
LCQ 4th: 🇦🇺 Googlemaps :ulttoonlink:

It was overall a really interesting tournament, especially since the favorites beforehand did not have it easy at all. The most notable casuality is Ben Gold, who faltered against Khami and Ghost in the regular Bracket, while he DQ'd in the LCQ after losing to Sriks. Ghost for his part had been sent to Loser's early, where he eventually faltered to jDizzle (who himself took an L to Fryd Ryce) right at the normal finish line. Thankfully for Ghost, he did not have a stupendously hard time making it to top 4 in the LCQ, but it still proves the point.

While a power outrage did sadly stop the normal grand finals, I do think is this a great result for Kinaji, Fryd Rice and Ichigo in particular. Sure, it was online, but they managed to outperform and put their names on the local map ahead of the Regional.

Next week the Central America South qualifier will take place, which will fill out 8 / 16 of the Central American Regional spots (the other 8 were decided in the Mexican qualifier last week). As noted last page, CAS is far from as stacked as Mexico, but it has some notable players attending and might see some relatively unknown talent secure spots at the in-person Regional. Apparently some I guessed would attend didn't (these have been struck out unless I'm mistaken), but Sonix, Yei and ShinyMark will attend the qualifiers, and so will local talent that are PRed in the region like:

There'll likely be more than "just" 6 PRed players in this qualifier, so going in I'm honestly expecting some really intense competition for those 8 spots. Especially since those who qualify will go to a Regional with a possible opportunity to face off against talent like MKLeo, Maister and Sparg0 in August.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
I don't have much to add when it comes to the online discussion - it's well treated ground after all. But as someone who's played way too much online (not regretting it though - despite the horrendous delay I've had enjoyable matches for the most part, and close ones with pretty damn good people), I'm going to join the choir in saying "Yeah, it needs a total reboot next time around".

And the results for the SWT Oceania online qualifiers - those who qualified for the Oceania Regional in June are:

5th: 🇦🇺 Luma :ultpalutena:
7th: 🇦🇺 Extra :ultgnw:
9th: 🇦🇺 Khami :ultness:
9th: 🇦🇺 Poppt1 :ultlucina:
9th: 🇦🇺 jDizzle :ultyounglink:
LCQ 1st: 🇦🇺 Sriks :ultroy:
LCQ 2nd: 🇦🇺 Ghost :ultbrawler:
LCQ 3rd: 🇦🇺 Maplemage :ultcorrin:
LCQ 4th: 🇦🇺 Googlemaps :ulttoonlink:

It was overall a really interesting tournament, especially since the favorites beforehand did not have it easy at all. The most notable casuality is Ben Gold, who faltered against Khami and Ghost in the regular Bracket, while he DQ'd in the LCQ after losing to Sriks. Ghost for his part had been sent to Loser's early, where he eventually faltered to jDizzle (who himself took an L to Fryd Ryce) right at the normal finish line. Thankfully for Ghost, he did not have a stupendously hard time making it to top 4 in the LCQ, but it still proves the point.

While a power outrage did sadly stop the normal grand finals, I do think is this a great result for Kinaji, Fryd Rice and Ichigo in particular. Sure, it was online, but they managed to outperform and put their names on the local map ahead of the Regional.

Next week the Central America South qualifier will take place, which will fill out 8 / 16 of the Central American Regional spots (the other 8 were decided in the Mexican qualifier last week). As noted last page, CAS is far from as stacked as Mexico, but it has some notable players attending and might see some relatively unknown talent secure spots at the in-person Regional. Apparently some I guessed would attend didn't (these have been struck out unless I'm mistaken), but Sonix, Yei and ShinyMark will attend the qualifiers, and so will local talent that are PRed in the region like:

There'll likely be more than "just" 6 PRed players in this qualifier, so going in I'm honestly expecting some really intense competition for those 8 spots. Especially since those who qualify will go to a Regional with a possible opportunity to face off against talent like MKLeo, Maister and Sparg0 in August.
Aww, right when I was making a comment about this event. :p
Quite unfortunate that RaZe's power decided to see itself out and lose him the second set of Grand Finals.

:ultdarkpit: popped off that tournament. Granted it is at a smaller region with two very talented Pit players, but never in my life I thought I would see a Winner's Finals in a super high stakes tournament be a Dark Pit mirror (RaZe vs Ichigo), not just because the character himself is rare (been that way since Brawl), but it is a character that constantly goes under the radar.

Btw, this tournament is unique in the fact that the top 12 does tiebreaker matches to put them in strict number placements.

The hilarious part of this regards the tiebreaker game between the 9th place finishers Danklin, jDizzle, Poppt1, and Khami.
It ended up being a free-for-all instead of a round robin. LMAO

Here are the qualifiers of the main bracket, now counting in the strict number placements.

6th: 🇦🇺 Luma :ultpalutena:
8th: 🇦🇺 Extra :ultgnw:
10th: 🇦🇺 jDizzle :ultyounglink:
11th: 🇦🇺 Poppt1 :ultlucina:
12th: 🇦🇺 Khami :ultness:

Last edited:

Gearkeeper-8a

Smash Apprentice
If nintendo/sakurai would reboot smash it certianly wouldnt be because of the online or competitive aspect.

By how nintendo design their games a smash rebbot would be more focused on the party/crossover aspect that the platform fighter aspect.

Another option is to change switch game genre too.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If nintendo/sakurai would reboot smash it certianly wouldnt be because of the online or competitive aspect.

By how nintendo design their games a smash rebbot would be more focused on the party/crossover aspect that the platform fighter aspect.

Another option is to change switch game genre too.
Personally, I think the next game might simply be a "Smash Ultimate DX" with all the paid DLC on disk, improved graphics, less input delay, and maybe less third party characters if Sakurai can't make the deal with the respective companies. Maybe a couple of newcomers too, but not as many as Ultimate had.

I mean, look how they did Mario Kart. Sells even better than Smash, and it was literally a copy-paste from the Wii U Mario Kart.

I don't really think that a game as grand as Smash Ultimate has any sort of taboo to be ported honestly. It's the biggest crossover fighting game in existence, legendary therefore. They can port it and everyone will buy it yet again.

Last edited:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Personally, I think the next game might simply be a "Smash Ultimate DX" with all the paid DLC on disk, improved graphics, less input delay, and maybe less third party characters if Sakurai can't make the deal with the respective companies. Maybe a couple of newcomers too, but not as many as Ultimate had.

I mean, look how they did Mario Kart. Sells even better than Smash, and it was literally a copy-paste from the Wii U Mario Kart.

I don't really think that a game as grand as Smash Ultimate has any sort of taboo to be ported honestly. It's the biggest crossover fighting game in existence, legendary therefore. They can port it and everyone will buy it yet again.
To be fair, Mario Kart is an entirely different beast than Smash in regards to player base. With how poor the Wii U sold it was a no brainer to re-sell Mario Kart on Switch. The system has been a colossal success so anyone who didn't own a Wii U but wanted Mario Kart now would. Those who owned it prior would STILL buy it on the Switch because Mario Kart...but mobile.

Smash Ultimate 'DX' would sell probably as well as Ultimate has now but it still isn't going to do Mario Kart numbers when Mario Kart is a game that practically every Switch owner wants regardless of their 'gamer level', age, preferred genres, etc. Smash is, at it's core a 'fighting game' which will always, always, ALWAYS sell less than something like Mario Kart.

I'd also advise them from calling the next game Ultimate DX if it's going to have cut content. That's the title they should reserve for a re-released version of this game with all the DLC + new content. Would also prevent confusion when buying overall. If it's a new game it needs a different title.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Sriks using Sephiroth to secure a set win against Ghost, showing that Sephiroth is not quite as bad online as some people think. I think he's at least mid tier online, potentially high tier. Definitely worse than offline though (where he has a good shot of being top tier).

Mii Brawler, a character that supposedly is heavily nerfed by online, also did quite well. Some notable players are starting to call Mii Brawler high tier, and while I'm not quite sold yet (a lot of characters compete for the high tier spot), I think Brawler could be a solid mid tier and easily the best Mii.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Sriks using Sephiroth to secure a set win against Ghost, showing that Sephiroth is not quite as bad online as some people think. I think he's at least mid tier online, potentially high tier. Definitely worse than offline though (where he has a good shot of being top tier).

Mii Brawler, a character that supposedly is heavily nerfed by online, also did quite well. Some notable players are starting to call Mii Brawler high tier, and while I'm not quite sold yet (a lot of characters compete for the high tier spot), I think Brawler could be a solid mid tier and easily the best Mii.
I always found it interesting how character viability can change via online or offline play so drastically.

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
I always found it interesting how character viability can change via online or offline play so drastically.
Characters that rely on reacting to ledge options really hate online (like Sephiroth and Mii Brawler). At least Sephiroth have other good tools, but not being able to f-tilt on reaction hurts. I imagine once offline comes back many people will change their minds about Sephiroth. This character is definitely not mid tier offline.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Characters that rely on reacting to ledge options really hate online (like Sephiroth and Mii Brawler). At least Sephiroth have other good tools, but not being able to f-tilt on reaction hurts. I imagine once offline comes back many people will change their minds about Sephiroth. This character is definitely not mid tier offline.

You have Tweek planning to co main him along with Diddy Offline. Zackray using him and winning a Solo Offline tournament in Japan when they came back for a short while. Nairo is rumored to use him now that he is officially unbanned from 2GG run events. We had lots of Pro-Players saying Pyra/Mythra will be too tier. But many are saying the same about Sepiroth. Honestly his Ledguarding and Trapping abilites look to be on the level of Min-Min. Its also likey a good thing he is so light , because he is legit insane once he gets into OWA form

Pyra\Mythra just come with the benefit of doing just as well, possbily become better when used online.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord

I don't think Smash Ultimate has ever had a DLC that unanimously agreed on to be top tier this early in the game. Took quite a bit longer with Joker, didn't it?

I think the closes thing everyone decided a DLC character would be top tier was Smash 4 Cloud even took a while for pro players to realize how OP Smash 4 Bayo was.

I also wonder if this means that they are going to be target for nerfs with such a general reaction for them. Like how Smash 4 Little Mac got nerfs and K.Rool got nerfs due to the general playerbase making such a vocal fuss about them

Of course we know now that those past cases were pretty big overeactions and there were FAR more characters that could of gottten nerfs

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
It's practically a different game. A lot of the best characters offline such as Wario, Mario, Pikachu, Fox, Joker, Peach/Daisy, Sephiroth, Squirtle, Zero Suit, and to a lesser extent Palutena, all lose a ton of what makes them great. These are generally reaction-based and combo-based characters that require fast inputs, which get neutered online. This, in turn, means characters such as ROB, Cloud, Sonic, and Steve, who have tough matchups (albeit not necessarily losing in some cases) with the fast characters, are given much more leeway and become better now that those MUs are nerfed. Heavies also enjoy the fast characters being nerfed. And then you have some characters, like Wolf and Yoshi, who don't really change too much and remain strong.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You have Tweek planning to co main him along with Diddy Offline.
I mean, I told you all, pages ago that this was gonna happen...

Diddy is gonna move up soon enough, especially since Sephiroth is a winning matchup for Diddy. Pyra and Mythra seem reasonable to do for Diddy too, at least it's even. ZSS and Palutena also where already some of his best matchups, and Diddy likes Wario not being so dominant anymore too.

Offline tournaments are gonna be real interessting.

TennisBall

Smash Journeyman
I mean, I told you all, pages ago that this was gonna happen...

Diddy is gonna move up soon enough, especially since Sephiroth is a winning matchup for Diddy. Pyra and Mythra seem reasonable to do for Diddy too, at least it's even. ZSS and Palutena also where already some of his best matchups, and Diddy likes Wario not being so dominant anymore too.

Offline tournaments are gonna be real interessting.
The minute Diddy has to stop dealing with -2 zoner mus online and having it get way easier and than get to start putting top tiers in their place...

This character is gonna pop off offline just you wait.

SKX31

Smash Master

I don't think Smash Ultimate has ever had a DLC that unanimously agreed on to be top tier this early in the game. Took quite a bit longer with Joker, didn't it?
I'm not entirely sure they are top tier yet myself - although I'm as far from a huge voice as you can come. They might still have some really wonky matchups such as vs. characters that can match Mythra's frame data and avoid getting Foresighted too much, exploit Pyra on whiffs, and / or kill either of them relatively early. Those three areas are what I personally feel will be key.

And yet I still think they're solid contenders for Top 20 together - possibly higher - since they're able to practically cover each other at different junctures. I feel that it's not just going to be the Mythra show - early Pyra play has shown promising results too. Yeah, online mostly - and that's a mitigating factor here - but still promising.

Mr. R did a tier list
I appriciate the fact that he did it - I'm not sure about Min Min being close to Top 5 because she might struggle vs. some of the top tiers (I'm willing to say Top 20, but again I'm as far as a huge voice as one can come). Mythra does seem like a really bad matchup for Min Min because Mythra can natively close in quickly, can contest Min Min's kicks with her own sword and one Foresight could turn what's normally 30-40 % for Min Min into her having no option but to take a nasty combo or kill confirm.

Overall looks like a solid tier list still. (Yeah, tier lists and matchups are by nature extremely difficult to define, but still.)

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
We were just talking about how Online Lag can greatly affect characters and essentialy put them in different tiers. Larry Lurr made a list of the 5 characters that benefit the most online with explinations.

:ultdk: I would of put think on the list of his f@$!#% dash attack alone online. Just try to sheild it on reaction in online lag..

:ultcloud::ultrob: are two great characters that get better online. Their combos and gameplan do not get distrupted online.

:ultness: PK Fire spam flashbacks....uggh

:ultsonic: Nothing needs to be said.

Also its funny he has :ultpyra: on the bid becuase she deserves and honourable mention. She becomes and even more annoying version of online Ganandorf being about to throw all her big poweful htboxes without fear of being punished.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
minmin is the first time I really don't see where japan is coming from on the character. even in other fighting games, i could at least understand the logic. here i dont get anything. they are saying shes significantly better than everyone to the point they say shes toxic. i just see that. it seems like they are assuming if shes played perfectly you never reach her.

i hate that logic it reminds me of when a melee player tried to argue that yoshi was the best character in the game but human error prevents that.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
minmin is the first time I really don't see where japan is coming from on the character. even in other fighting games, i could at least understand the logic. here i dont get anything. they are saying shes significantly better than everyone to the point they say shes toxic. i just see that. it seems like they are assuming if shes played perfectly you never reach her.

i hate that logic it reminds me of when a melee player tried to argue that yoshi was the best character in the game but human error prevents that.
I get the mindset but it doesn't pan out in practice so it feels like a conversation that isn't worth having. Like, yeah I would agree that if Min Min was played 100% optimally she is very possibly the best character in the game. It'd be impossible to get in and stay in against her since her CQC options aren't even bad to compensate for her incredible reach and utility of said reach options. But since there's really no way to play her 100% every single time (Or likely even a single time) the conversation takes us no except a one way ticket to Theoryville.

I can see why they might find her 'toxic' since she doesn't have to play by the rules in a lot of instances. She plays the game almost entirely different than everyone else. She has no need to go in, no need to try to rush. She's a turtle character. She waits, baits, reacts, punishes and she can even laugh at anyone who tries to mimic her style by throwing projectiles because she can deflect them or one-two punch them to not just cancel the projectile but punish you for doing so.

She's a character that can actually punish you even if when you play super safe. She can be a 'feels bad' match up. I have experienced the discouragement the character brings ever since I started picking her up near the end of last year after getting over my initial confusion on how to actually play her. Was a long road to get to playing her even somewhat competently and even now I'm bungling a lot of things and not using all my options as effectively as I should. But even when playing somewhat sloppily I've been causing sour moods for even some of my areas better players. In a way her discouragement factor is another mechanic XD

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
is the first time I really don't see where japan is coming from on the character
Ah, I remember when the Japanese Villagers were coming to own us all at Genesis. S+ tier, they said.

Turns out it was Ranai was just a great player.

The Japanese seem good at showing us how our low tier characters are actually fine - duck hunt for instance - but are poor at showing how fine characters are actually top tier.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Here's a question about Japan's perception of Min Min - how much of the popular assumption about that territory is founded off of veritable direct impressions of their community as opposed to something that's been osmosed through a long line of telephone and second hand accounts? Is the belief here that opinions on the character being "annoying/toxic" is something that matters because you don't otherwise hear about Japanese players finding other characters annoying? Is there any value in that distinction or is there no more to ascertain from this topic other than a low quantity, yet lopsided ratio of dislikes on a few VODs? Or to put it in a quicker way I suppose; who is "Japan" in this context?

I haven't been following impressions of Japan's top brass too closely in recent history, but last I recall when Raito made a tier list, he positioned Min Min on the borderline (which iirc was before ProtoBanham went on a local warpath). That opinion has largely tracked with a majority of the notable western players (sans maybe Marss or Tweek) usually opting for her as a character resting somewhere at a top 20 range. With the potential exception of Pyra/Mythra this is arguably the only DLC character so far who's quickly earned her stripes both offline and online, with the addendum that Dabuz believes the character to be way stronger offline - an assessment that holds up under scrutiny considering online generally does not favor high precision input characters. Playing with assumed perfection is a factor generally assumed to be a cop-out argument but even if that weren't a factor worth considering (since this is something that's carried Shulk viability discussions for over half a decade by now and, let's face it, is kind of applying itself even more to Sephiroth as we speak) I've never gotten the impression that Min Min needs to even play all that perfectly to do well? Especially in a game where jumping is obscenely powerful as a movement option, and when some of Min Min's safest counter-pressure options derive from them. This isn't a character who would've been perceived as so maligned if her only real tricks was making long-distance play hell for you.

I'm pretty confident that Min Min's tools at this point can't put her below upper high tier, despite the fact that her tools enable - or even force her to play to condition more than any other character on the roster. That having been said, character disdain is indiscriminate towards assumed positioning, as characters like pre-patch SSB4 Luigi (and even Ultimate Luigi) will attest to. If you have the ubiquity then it's not gonna matter how "good" a character truly is on paper when factoring emotionally arbitrary things like game sense and momentum (personally I've always found Meta Knight my Achilles heel even when he's not that "great"), but at the end of the day you're playing competitively, and you're playing to win, hence why players rarely ever relent against stigmas and pick up the characters. Everything else is secondary.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
To me, I think the whole "unstoppable when played at absolute perfection" argument is very flawed.

If we are analyzing characters played at about equal skill levels, then we should assume that the opposing character is also played at the absolute perfection. Whenever people put in the argument of the "played at absolute perfection without any flaws" to argue in favor of a character's viability (i.e. Ultimate Pika), they always tend to focus on the character they are arguing for and disregard what would happen if the opponent is also played at absolute perfection. As NotLiquid mentioned, Shulk's entire existence in Smash Bros is built off of potential theorycrafting, assuming perfect play.

Either way, reaching levels of being played at absolute perfection is very unrealistic and gets written off as extreme theorycrafting.
At best, it only lays ground-work for future developments of the character, although at this point, it is basic theorycrafting.

Mr. R did a tier list
Funny that this list was posted, as it does bring up a topic I was thinking of posting earlier today, specifically the topic of :ultmarth:.

In Mr. R's tier list, he places Marth as the 10th worst character. I am not sure if his mid tier is ordered (I think it is), but even in the region where Chroy and Lucina are running wild, Marth is viewed rather lowly. Although Mr. R's list wasn't really going to change my opinion on this anyways, but after playing and watching Marth for quite a while recently, but the more I begin to realize how very rough Marth has it in this game.

It is not just because it is harder to land his tippers in this game, between many of his setups to land tippers being made either way harder to land or outright removed, and the lack of any microspacing options available (perfect pivoting being removed).
While Marth's unreliability to land tippers in this game plays a huge part on his drop in viability in comparison to his past appearances, his large drop in viability isn't just associated with that. This is merely only one part to an even greater nerf Marth has received in the transition from SSB4 to Ultimate.

Some of his most reliable KO moves go their knockback worsened, particularly on sourspotted moves. The sourspotted hitboxes of forward smash, down smash (back hit), and Dancing Blade got noticeably nerfed, as well as tippered forward air, and the upward variants of Dancing Blade lost pretty much all of its KO power. In SSB4, non-tippered forward smash would be able to KO midweights under 100% at the ledge. Tippered forward air would sometimes outright steal games, especially with rage. Up throw knockback nerf and Dolphin Slash landing lag nerf certainty doesn't help much, as he arguably relied more on both of those moves than Lucina did in SSB4.

This leads to a very unfortunate situation for Marth.
It is now much harder to land tippers given both the indirect and direct nerfs given to him, but also thanks to the nerfs to the knockback of some of his moves, it further necessitates that he must lands tippers. The more aggressive nature of the game combined with forward air's range nerf is also a blow to his general defensive playstyle.

Given this and the fact that his sourspotted moves continue to hit like a wet noodle (+ Dancing Blade damage nerfs), the end result is that Marth just plain feels very unrewarding to play. You may have that one moment where you go on a tipper spree, but moments like that is very uncommon.
Even in comparison to not just Lucina, but some of the mid tier swordies like Byleth, Robin, Corrin, TLink, etc. Marth feels very unrewarding for all the effort you must put in to make him work.
He feels like a watered-down version of his SSB4 self, trapped in Ultimate's engine. This is, in an ironic twist, the reverse of Roy. SSB4 Roy feels like a watered-down version of his Ultimate self, trapped in SSB4's engine.
We all see MkLeo have splashes of success with the character, but out of all the characters in his back-pocket, he has the most trouble making this character work. Even Byleth, a character people typically don't view all that fondly (at least back then), was put in much more work.

Patch 8.0 did help a little by making tipper forward, back, and up aerials easier to land, which helps out considering that forward and back air hitboxes were altered in the initial transition to make tippers harder to land. However, it didn't seem to have much of an impact on his tournament success. Making them easier to land helps, but it didn't really do too much to fix his core problems.

If they are going to fix him in this game, there are two solutions that come in mind that they could do. They could do both.
The main one is to make landing his sourspot hitboxes more rewarding in both damage and knockback, so Marth doesn't feel constantly burdened with landing tippers all the time.
The other is to offer Marth some new reliable setups to tipper KOs, like with SSB4 Dancing Blade and jab.
Either way, I don't think simply making tippers easier to land raw is going to be the thing that truly helps him compete in this game.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
"Is the best when played optimally" is usually applied to glass cannons, because after all low health doesn't do anything to you if you never get hit, right? These characters are usually defined first by extreme safety on offence, whether through blistering frame data, range or both, and secondly by explosive damage output. Or they are an extreme form of the all-rounder in that they have strong options in nearly every conceivable scenario.

Things are a lot more complicated in Smash where there are a lot more facets that go into how survivable a character is, though. Weight is probably the closest analogue to health, but you also have to consider how good your recovery is, among other things that affect how susceptible to combos you are. And on the flipside having the most damaging combos in the world doesn't mean as much if you can't ultimately knock your opponent off-screen when it matters, but focusing too much on raw launch power can hurt your damage output in the long run, even if per-hit damage is high, as we have seen with old superheavies.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
Ah, I remember when the Japanese Villagers were coming to own us all at Genesis. S+ tier, they said.

Turns out it was Ranai was just a great player.

The Japanese seem good at showing us how our low tier characters are actually fine - duck hunt for instance - but are poor at showing how fine characters are actually top tier.
I tend to trust japan on most impressions of characters in tekken, street fighter, and even marvel and dbfz. But the Japanese smash scene hasn't been proven right nearly enough for me to care what they say.
I'm still convinced that sepiroth is an elite top tier character with a high game knowledge and skill requirement.
Minmin is a hard skill check though. She will punish brutally you for being bad at ledge or being predictable.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Rollback netcode can be thought of as the ability to accept inputs from the past as well as the present, rewinding and resimulating time to both handle inconsistencies and mask delay.

It has three requirements:
  1. Deterministic game state
  2. Hardware that can execute the game state at 10x speed for 10 frames of rollback, or so forth
  3. Manual handling of all gameplay effects not suited to "rewinding"

#1 is not simple, but all fighting games (including Smash) already do this. This is how replays work. So really, this discussion is only about the other 2.

#2 is a a big one, huge. If you want to accept an input that was supposed to happen 6 frames ago, you have to be able to recalculate every part of those 6 frame--in 1 actual frame. So the hardware has to be capable of running the game X times faster than normal, where X is the total number of frames you want to be able to roll back. This is why putting rollback on an old game (running on CPUs 20 years more advanced) is far more feasible and requires less engineering work.

This is a great oversimplification, but Smash Ultimate runs at 60 frames per second. To be able to rollback an additional 7 frames, the CPU would need to be able to run the same game at 480 frames per second. This is a great feat for a modern game on modern hardware, and requires a lot of special engineering. For the humble Switch CPU, running a far more busy 8-player fighting game, it's a challenge that has simply not been done.

Even if you acheived that, it still leaves #3. The example I like to give is camera effects. You know all those zoom effects Ultimate does? Rolling back any sort of camera effect would be awful and nausiating. So all the zoom effects have to be re-tuned around your rollback delay, and even normal camera behavior would have to be rewritten to not jump around with the game state changes. Sound effects also have to get a massive amount of attention to be polished--cutting off and jumping into sound effects mid-frame is jarring and bad. Particles are often a problem, since particle systems often have non-deterministic components in their libraries.

This isn't even getting into the weird gameplay design decisions. The Mortal Kombat guys actually refuse to rollback game-ending hits as policy, due to how aggrivating that would be. This sleight of hand wouldn't work with Smash.

#3 is a ton of work; for the amount of content in Ultimate it would easily amount to several engineers working for at least 2 years. But even that is nothing compared to #2: making a 60fps Switch game run at 8x speed on a Switch.

tl;dr - Asking the devs to put rollback in Smash Ultimate is like asking your mechanic to put an electric engine in your tricked-out 2006 Chevy Silverado. It's just, not how any of that works--but if it's any consolation their future trucks will be electric.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
I wonder if the Japan playerbase and their extreme, almost comical hatred of Min-Min was partly due to ProtoBaham winning an offline tournament using just her. Becasue Zackray did the same thing with Sepiroth and everyone seems ambivalent sbout that.

Once thing I noticed about Japan player tier-lists is that they seem to be highly influenced and even biased by raw results and players from their region

For example in SFV the game recently entered "Season 5" a update that was a balance patch that also introduced a brand new system mechanic in V-Shift a defensive/evasion option A long-standing criticism of SFV was that the game had to few defensive options and was dominated by offense and 50/50 mixups. V-shift was introduced to try to alleviate all that

So a little while back many top Japan players posted their SFV tier-lists and had big-guy grapplers like Zangeif and Abigail (who was placed as the best in more than one example) at the top, despite getting nerfs and being negatively impacted by all the changes in the patch.

Well part of the reason is that they have very strong players like Itazan and StormKubo who are pretty dominant in the region. So the take their strong resultsin Japan heavily into their tier lists. Even when their results and theory are weaker outside of Japan It could be why they seem to rank a character Laura somewhat low despite the character winning the last offline Capcom Cup and is considered a strong character otherwise. There are hardly any notable Laura players in Japan so they do not really noticed her. Despite the character winning the biggest and notable tournamet in the game

Okay i kinda rambled on a big tangent on an entirely different game .But you can likey see similarities on how Japan smash pro-players construct their opinions on tier lists

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
To me, I think the whole "unstoppable when played at absolute perfection" argument is very flawed.
Yeah, that's the point I was trying to make. Absolute perfect play can make a lot of characters unstoppable but it's not realistic. So if they're trying to call Min Min top or even Shulk top tier solely based on how they can theoretically perform in perfect form then I'm not buying it. Human error will always be a factor. Consistency of the mechanics, options, and overall kit of a character is much more realistic. What a competent player can do consistently with what said character provides them.

I'm not a fan of this whole "perfect play" thing either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom