• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
So, a zoner who is fast enough to get in and CQC? So... not a zoner. IIRC Duck Hunt's abyssmal MU vs Cloud was soley because Could's nair and bair has so much disjoint it could simultaneously destroy all of DH's projectiles safely and also hit DH in the process. While Seph doesn't have the nair-without-a-care that Cloud does, his b-air only requires a little more precision. And once DH is offstage Seph has no issue going out there to finish the job.

Transcendant projectiles are key. Which is Villager's slingshot, and....?
It's not that they're a zoner with good CQC, but that their CQC is good ENOUGH. Against most characters, zoners don't have the frame data to compete at close range, but against Sephiroth's Frame 5 jab and Frame 12 OoS nair? Suddenly, they're basically Mario. The difference is whether or not your zoner has the speed to get in reliably if Sephiroth whiffs.

I think the big difference compared to Cloud is that Cloud's sword may be shorter, but the fact that it's fatter AND his attacks tend to be incredibly safe on shield makes it so that the window to punish him tends to be extremely small, especially online. Sephiroth might have the bigger up smash, but he can't throw it out safely in neutral the way Cloud can, for example.

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
I don't think :ultsonic: is a top tier like many others have started to think over the course of the year, but I do agree that to an extent, especially online, his kit is somewhat overtuned. I don't think he necessarily needs nerfs, especially offline, but at the same time, I feel like most people probably would be perfectly OK with nerfs to this character, at least while we're stuck online.

Also, regarding :ultsephiroth:, I'm starting to become more convinced that he's definitely a good character, although he's not without his flaws. His flaws aren't significantly crippling like Byleth's are, for example, but they are there.
  • He struggles to hit smaller characters to varying degree. Many of his hitboxes are prone to being low profiled by certain characters, with :ultpikachu: and :ultkirby: likely being the characters who exploit this the best, although moves such as :ultmario:/:ultdoc:'s landing b-air can be helpful for low-profiling his moves as well. His projectiles, as well as some of his normals are susceptible to this issue.
  • He does get overwhelmed at close range by some characters. :ultmario::ultdoc::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultdiddy::ultmetaknight::ultsheik::ultpit::ultdarkpit: along with a handful of others love this, since their damage output off of a single combo is fairly high.
  • I do think he struggles to cover a handful of characters who are trying to jump in against him. :ultbowser:, for example, seems to be good at jumping in with his disjointed f-air and Sephiroth's options to cover approaches like this by some characters seem somewhat limited thanks to how slow many of his moves are. I think Sephiroth's speed makes him a bit less susceptible to this than Byleth and to a lesser extent Min Min are, but it's still a problem for him in certain matchups.
Like Min Min, I think his matchup spread may end up a bit polarizing, but I do think there are relevant characters he will do well against. My early impressions on how he does verses certain meta relevant characters would probably look something like this:

Relevant characters he may end up doing well against: :ultmarth::ultlucina::ultgnw::ultness::ultolimar::ultpacman::ultrosalina:

Relevant characters I could see being even: :ultlink::ultmario::ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultsamus::ultshulk::ultyoshi:

Characters that seem difficult: :ultbowser::ultdiddy::ultgreninja::ultinkling::ultjoker::ultmetaknight::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultzss:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's interesting, that Min Min is the most hated character in Japan, yet barely anyone in the west acknowledges her existence. If you look at any japanese (offline) set on youtube with her, it's downvoted to hell. Even more funny, when you consider, that Japan has the best Sonic and best Ness in the world and in general most japanese top players tend to play rather defensively.

Min Min could actually be top tier.
The West only gravitates towards the Top Tiers of this game. And a few high tiers. Japan gravitates towards the whole roster. I think that's why they are bothered with Min-Min more.

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
It's not that they're a zoner with good CQC, but that their CQC is good ENOUGH.
You missed my point. When we ask, "Does Seph have troubles with zoners," you can't answer, "Yeah because DuckHunt, who is considered a zoner, rushes him down really well." That's not what the question was asking.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
You missed my point. When we ask, "Does Seph have troubles with zoners," you can't answer, "Yeah because DuckHunt, who is considered a zoner, rushes him down really well." That's not what the question was asking.
And what I'm saying is that I don't think Sephiroth loses to every zoner. Rather, the ones I predict he'll have the most trouble with are the ones who can comfortably switch between playing a long-range game or a short-range one when going against him, and the ones who do that best are the ones who have both projectile zoning AND the ability to close large distances with relative ease.

I might very well be wrong, but this is how I see it:

Generally speaking, you do not want to be in range of the farther half of his sword. In other words, the best places are beyond its tip or close enough that you're at most only contending with the sour spot. Plenty of projectile zoners can put up a fight from far away, but if Sephiroth presses in and they don't have the sheer mobility to get out of the danger zone in either direction (advancing or retreating), then they're in a tougher spot compared to a projectile zoner who DOES have the speed to either keep zoning from afar or press in closer.

This is what I think makes Mewtwo a threat for Sephiroth despite sharing a lot of the same flaws as characters. Sephiroth in one-winged mode has only barely more speed than Mewtwo, and so can't easily get closer or run away. I speculate that Duck Hunt is similarly positioned against Sephiroth because while he's not nearly as fast as Mewtwo, he has more speed compared to a lot of other zoners, so he has greater freedom to pick his battles.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Being okay with nerfs and them actually being warranted are not always the same thing. A lot (or at least a lot of noisy people) seem to really not like fighting Sonic and therefor may like nerfs to him. Doesn't mean that he needs them or that it'd actually be good balance. Especially if you don't even think he's top tier.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Steve was shadow buffed very slightly in 10.1.0
It is both a buff and a nerf.

Steve's Minecart has more HP (7 HP -> 8.3 HP), but it now has weaker heavy armor (15% -> 8.1%).
The heavy armor only applies to Steve's upper body, so hitting Steve and the Minecart at the same time would've knocked Steve's out of the Minecart anyways.

I say that this is a slight net buff, but it isn't too significant.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Sephie's going to have a terrible time with cross ups. Dsmash only hits in front and has a similar hitbox to Fsmash. UTilt hits in front for a second and above but not behind and his counter only hits in front. He has huge blindspots diagonally in front/behind and above him. Not to mention, his OoS is poor. He'll have to rely on things like retreating pivot Ftilt a lot, SH F/Bair too. I can see a role for this kind of defensive playstyle. He's a sword zoner but in a long thin way unlike say, Lucina. A lot of how he spaces will be to avoid crossups and cover his blind spots. Not a character for novices.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
And what I'm saying is that I don't think Sephiroth loses to every zoner. Rather, the ones I predict he'll have the most trouble with are the ones who can comfortably switch between playing a long-range game or a short-range one when going against him, and the ones who do that best are the ones who have both projectile zoning AND the ability to close large distances with relative ease.

I might very well be wrong, but this is how I see it:

Generally speaking, you do not want to be in range of the farther half of his sword. In other words, the best places are beyond its tip or close enough that you're at most only contending with the sour spot. Plenty of projectile zoners can put up a fight from far away, but if Sephiroth presses in and they don't have the sheer mobility to get out of the danger zone in either direction (advancing or retreating), then they're in a tougher spot compared to a projectile zoner who DOES have the speed to either keep zoning from afar or press in closer.

This is what I think makes Mewtwo a threat for Sephiroth despite sharing a lot of the same flaws as characters. Sephiroth in one-winged mode has only barely more speed than Mewtwo, and so can't easily get closer or run away. I speculate that Duck Hunt is similarly positioned against Sephiroth because while he's not nearly as fast as Mewtwo, he has more speed compared to a lot of other zoners, so he has greater freedom to pick his battles.
I think Mewtwo will beat Sephiroth as well. One wing mechanic doesn't pose as much of a treat to Mewtwo as it's gonna finish off Sephiroth with one move anyway when he reaches that state, unless there's a stock advantage for Mewtwo. Shadow Ball has more reach and power than Sephiroth's projectiles except for the fully charged one. Mewtwo has many of the strengths Sephiroth has except that it's faster when Seph doesn't have OWA. Mewtwo can get in easier and potentially can outbox Sephiroth, only trouble up close could be N Air, but F Air easily contests with that move.

I do think Sephiroth is a very interesting addition for the meta game and therefore I already like him better than most other DLC characters. Safe for Banjo, cause am a 90s kid, one who obviously loves Rare as you can tell from my username.

I'm just wondering how well Sephiroth will fare against other sword fighters. Specifically Ike and Lucina.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I was pretty convinced Sephiroth is banned(for the same flaws I'm sure everyone else sees) but watching MK Leo vs Maister https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG_u4CAO7AE changed my mind a bit. Still though he is definitely not my character and I'm doubtful he is going to be solo viable.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I think Sephiroth might go even with Snake, given the better range difference but also notably how much better Snake's neutral is.

Something brought up above is that Sephiroth's range, while impressive, is also narrow and gives him weaknesses akin to the Belmonts in that he has issues hitting shorter characters. Snake can use this to his advantage due to his very low crawl.

The tough time Snake has in this matchup is with the disjoints, if Seph spaces carefully then Snake can't break out of juggles with grenade as Seph can entirely avoid the explosion. He does have to space carefully though.

--

Re: Sonic

Personally I don't feel he needs a nerf. He's annoying to fight especially in certain stages (T&C and Kalos) but personally I feel that points moreso towards a problem with the gameplay those stages encourage.

He relies a lot on hit & run, it's annoying but that's just how the character is and there's certainly ways to deal with that (with most viable characters anyways).

Just my two cents, maybe I'm biased though cuz I play Fox, and historically Fox has always been a bad matchup for Sonic by being able to force the approach, match him in speed and beat him in neutral.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I don't know how much this contributes, but DH is one of the chars Tweek struggled with early on. But recently he has vastly improved vs the character. We was playing Ozone recently & winning the majority of matches - I'd check that out for that conversation.

Wings000

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7648-2024-2417
I think Sephiroth might go even with Snake, given the better range difference but also notably how much better Snake's neutral is.

Something brought up above is that Sephiroth's range, while impressive, is also narrow and gives him weaknesses akin to the Belmonts in that he has issues hitting shorter characters. Snake can use this to his advantage due to his very low crawl.

The tough time Snake has in this matchup is with the disjoints, if Seph spaces carefully then Snake can't break out of juggles with grenade as Seph can entirely avoid the explosion. He does have to space carefully though.

--

Re: Sonic

Personally I don't feel he needs a nerf. He's annoying to fight especially in certain stages (T&C and Kalos) but personally I feel that points moreso towards a problem with the gameplay those stages encourage.

He relies a lot on hit & run, it's annoying but that's just how the character is and there's certainly ways to deal with that (with most viable characters anyways).

Just my two cents, maybe I'm biased though cuz I play Fox, and historically Fox has always been a bad matchup for Sonic by being able to force the approach, match him in speed and beat him in neutral.
I agree with the Sonic point, he's never felt like he absolutely NEEDS a nerf. The playstyle is definitely annoying though.

TennisBall

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if Sonic NEEDS a nerf, but I definitely feel like toning down Spin Dash in favor of normals like what they did with Ike and his nair would be much healthier for the meta overall, especially with online, however I don't feel like it would be required, as there is counterplay even online, it's just very mentally taxing.

I personally think Sephiroth is a good character for reasons that have likely already been stated, although I do ponder if we will make Northern Cave legal, I'm leaning towards no mainly due to distracting backgrounds and possible issues with player's conditions, such as Hazmatt having ADHD and hating playing on the stage.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Sonic could receive all the (realistic) nerfs he could possibly get and people would still hate him.
Barring a complete redesign of Sonic at the basic level, his moveset and speed simply would allow for him to play the same as he ever does, especially online.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Fun fact about Scintilla: It won't actually stop multi-hit projectiles. So if Greninja fires a charged Shuriken and Sephiroth successfully counters it the projectiles will linger until the counter ends then push through and hit him. As seen in the beginning of this video. This only really matters vs Greninja and Ridley's charged fire breath. >Themoreyouknow.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
There's a Japanese tourney going on today. Zackray is solo maining :ultsephiroth: and so far has shut down a zoner easily (It was a Villager main) using Side-B. We said earlier that maybe some zoners could deal with him, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Here's a link to the stream.

Arthur97

Smash Master
And your "proof" that no zoner can deal with him is one case? Also, what's the skill difference between these players? Seems like shaky grounds to assume the idea is false.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Fun fact about Scintilla: It won't actually stop multi-hit projectiles. So if Greninja fires a charged Shuriken and Sephiroth successfully counters it the projectiles will linger until the counter ends then push through and hit him. As seen in the beginning of this video. This only really matters vs Greninja and Ridley's charged fire breath. >Themoreyouknow.
I can also testify of this. Got a sweet kill on a Seph the other day by throwing a full shuriken over the edge of the stage. He tried to throw up Scintilla and took the shuriken to the face. Yet another reason why I love that move.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Results for Sumabato SP 16

1st: Lunamando :ultbowser: :ultluigi: :ultmewtwo:
2nd: Shirayuki :ultinkling:
3rd: tk3 :ultchrom: :ultroy::ultsephiroth:
4th: Akakikusu :ulthero4:
5th: Compact :ultpalutena:
5th: Hasuiro :ultpalutena:
7th: Rizeasu :ultsephiroth: :substitute:
7th: Atelier :ultpokemontrainerf: :ultjoker: :ultwolf:
9th: Kome :ultshulk:
9th: Tsumusuto :ultdoc:
9th: Injelly :ultwiifittrainer: :ultbrawler: :ultyounglink:
9th: amesara :ultpiranha:

Sephiroth came in 7th at this tournament.

Results for Kurobra 24

1st: Zackray :ultsephiroth:
2nd: Yuzu :ultrosalina: :ultpichu:
3rd: Hinakasu :ultmario:
4th: Yuiton :ultwiifittrainer:
5th: Eim :ultsheik:
5th: Twinkle :ultdiddy:
7th: Across :ultgnw:
7th: Nanami:ultvillager:
9th: Aiba :ultyoshi:
9th: Yamanaction :ultluigi:
9th: Fuwa :ulticeclimbers:
9th: Kuroitsu :ultrobinf:

Zackray and Rizeasu have both shown good offline material with Sephiroth with two top 8's offline. Zackray also won only losing one game which was Grands. I think this character is a pretty free high tier, nothing else to say really.

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Zackray and Rizeasu have both shown good offline material with Sephiroth with two top 8's offline. Zackray also won only losing one game which was Grands. I think this character is a pretty free high tier, nothing else to say really.
Not that I disagree with your conclusion (I also think he's probably at least high tier), but I don't think these results necessarily prove much. Wii Fit got 4th and Villager got 7th, after all. Zackray is also an amazing player and him winning a tournament against non-PGR players is nice but not spectacular.

I actually don't think zoners will be a huge issue for Sephiroth. Small rushdown characters probably will be annoying, though.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Sonic could receive all the (realistic) nerfs he could possibly get and people would still hate him.
Barring a complete redesign of Sonic at the basic level, his moveset and speed simply would allow for him to play the same as he ever does, especially online.
Sonic is just boring. His design in Brawl was rushed and he's never gotten the redesign he needs.

I wish he was based more on his Genesis games.

Down-B Spin Dash
Up-B Spring
Neutral-B Change Shield
Side-B Use special shield ability and lose shield (flame dash, or the water bounce, or the electric jump)

Make spin dash punishable on block.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Results for Sumabato SP 16

1st: Lunamando :ultbowser: :ultluigi: :ultmewtwo:
2nd: Shirayuki :ultinkling:
3rd: tk3 :ultchrom: :ultroy::ultsephiroth:
4th: Akakikusu :ulthero4:
5th: Compact :ultpalutena:
5th: Hasuiro :ultpalutena:
7th: Rizeasu :ultsephiroth: :substitute:
7th: Atelier :ultpokemontrainerf: :ultjoker: :ultwolf:
9th: Kome :ultshulk:
9th: Tsumusuto :ultdoc:
9th: Injelly :ultwiifittrainer: :ultbrawler: :ultyounglink:
9th: amesara :ultpiranha:

Sephiroth came in 7th at this tournament.

Results for Kurobra 24

1st: Zackray :ultsephiroth:
2nd: Yuzu :ultrosalina: :ultpichu:
3rd: Hinakasu :ultmario:
4th: Yuiton :ultwiifittrainer:
5th: Eim :ultsheik:
5th: Twinkle :ultdiddy:
7th: Across :ultgnw:
7th: Nanami:ultvillager:
9th: Aiba :ultyoshi:
9th: Yamanaction :ultluigi:
9th: Fuwa :ulticeclimbers:
9th: Kuroitsu :ultrobinf:

Lunamado actually beat Rizeasu's Sephiroth with Mewtwo 2-1. The way the match went actually further bolstered my belief that Mewtwo is strong in the matchup.

I'm also curious about Fuwa going Ice Climbers. It's one thing to go from Marth to another swordsman, but Ice Climbers?!

Iron Maw

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ironmaw
3DS FC
1091-8076-0883
Don't know if has been said here yet but Megaflare can beat reflectors, see 11:05. I wonder if can challenge projectiles like Greninja's shurikens tho

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Did Megaflare actually "beat" the reflector or was it just an edge case interaction where it slipped under Arm Rotor's reflecting hitbox? (Or maybe ROB even hit the flare and triggered its detonation early? IDK if that's a thing.)

The reason I ask is because I have a very hard time believing that any projectile can simply trump a reflector without something funky going on, whether it's pixel-perfect hitbox placement or a back-and-forth reflect war amping the damage past the reflect limit or whatever else.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Dabuz's MU chart for Sephiroth (based mostly on theorycraft):

Explanations start at around 6:07:24: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/851985376

EDIT: Some "TLDW" footnotes:

• He thinks :ultminmin is his worst MU followed closely by :ultdiddy:.
  • He doesn't think :ultpikachu::ultpichu:are "that bad" since Side B out-prioritizes T-Jolts.
  • He was on the fence of :ultkirby::ultgnw::ultmewtwo: being either even of slightly losing for Sephiroth, mostly persuaded by Maister and Zenkai to move the latter two to losing.
  • He mentioned that characters that are either low profile him or can mash on him from above are a problem for him, which are main reasons why he listed Diddy, Wario, and C. Falcon as losing MUs.

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I watched Sprag0 kind of beat on MkLeo with Sephiroth, returning to my original impression that the character is too lacking to be competitively viable.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Re: Doctor Mario

Larry brought up two good points in that video:
  • Most of his opponents didn't really handle super vitamin well -- they tried jumping over it but kept getting hit because the bounce is different than Mario's fireball
  • Also the characters he fought that should've spaced him out and challenged his recovery, just didn't.

Doc is to Mario, what Ganon is to C. Falcon.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Re: Doctor Mario

Larry brought up two good points in that video:
  • Most of his opponents didn't really handle super vitamin well -- they tried jumping over it but kept getting hit because the bounce is different than Mario's fireball
  • Also the characters he fought that should've spaced him out and challenged his recovery, just didn't.

Doc is to Mario, what Ganon is to C. Falcon.
In short, Doc wins because most people aren't prepared to fight a good Doc since he's so uncommon...

For this game, that might as well be a strength...

Last edited:

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
ESAM's :ultpikachu: MU chart:

Banjo & Kazooie: 0:46 Bayonetta: 1:50 Bowser: 3:21 Bowser Jr.: 5:22 Byleth: 6:59 Captain Falcon: 16:45 Chrom: 18:07 Cloud: 23:08 Corrin: 25:11 Diddy: 13:43 DK: 27:21 Dr. Mario: 29:04 Duck Hunt: 30:11 Falco: 32:12 Fox: 34:48 Ganon: 36:48 Greninja: 37:32 Hero: 40:41 Icies: 11:04 Ike: 43:08 Incineroar: 45:58 Inkling: 46:48 Isabelle: 48:39 Joker: 49:49 Jigglypuff: 51:39 Ken: 52:48 King Dedede: 53:31 K. Rool: 54:20 Kirby: 54:51 Link: 56:23 Little Mac: 57:41 Lucario: 58:10 Lucas: 59:48 Lucina: 1:03:35 Luigi: 1:05:25 Mario: 1:06:49 Marth: 1:10:14 MegaMan: 1:10:52 Meta Knight: 1:12:28 Mewtwo: 1:13:45 Min Min: 1:19:16 Mii Brawler: 1:15:43 Mii Gunner: 1:17:19 Mii Swordfighter: 1:18:33 Mr. Game & Watch: 1:20:26 Ness: 1:23:02 Olimar: 1:27:57 Pac-Man: 1:24:50 Paluenta: 1:26:20 Peach/Daisy: 20:14 Pichu: 1:01:58 Pikachu (LOL): 1:27:46 Plant: 1:29:40 Pit/Pitto: 1:30:36 Pokémon Trainer: 1:31:56 Ridley: 1:34:43 ROB: 1:35:55 Robin: 1:37:40 Rosalina: 1:38:38 Roy: 1:39:47 Ryu: 1:40:54 Samus/Dark Samus: 1:42:01 Sephiroth: Wasn't around. Shiek: 1:43:21 Shulk: 1:44:38 Simon/Richter: 1:33:48 Snake: 1:46:36 Sonic: 1:48:33 Steve: 1:49:59 Terry: 1:51:16 Toon Link: 1:52:18 Villager: 1:53:15 Wario: 1:54:19 Wii Fit Trainer: 1:55:46 Wolf: 1:56:50 Yoshi: 1:57:53 Young Link: 1:59:41 Zelda: 9:04 Zero Suit Samus: 2:00:48 Final Ordered Chart: 2:03:19 (ESAM doesn't go completely alphabetical)

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
In short, Doc wins because most people aren't prepared to fight a good Doc because he's so uncommon...

That's true. Most people know the Mario MU but not the Doc MU and if you try to fight Doc the same way pills and tornado will give you a lot of trouble.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
In short, Doc wins because most people aren't prepared to fight a good Doc because he's so uncommon...

It's always a strength, regardless of the fighting game.

And frankly, Ultimate is two years old at this point and Doc is a base game character. If people don't have a basic idea of how he works... that's on them.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
At long last, we now have a solid grasp on how the Sephiroth Wing Mode deactivation works.

Meshima has an entire thread going into more detail on how it works, but the way it works is indeed different than it was at the character showcase.

Also, apparently the "handicap" parameter is dependent on how many humans are in the match, similar to Lucario's Aura.
The end result is that he has different thresholds in Training Mode.

Anyways, Tweek has released a video showing some very cool stuff Sephiroth can do.

Dabuz has also drawn some conclusions on a few of Sephiroth's matchups vs his own characters.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
My impressions of him are only with dumbass online play and playing with joy cons (moves not being input into the game, missinputs, wrong moves being registered by the controller... just overall terrible controller for smash).

It's definitely not the ideal way to play smash since I'm waiting for my adapter to arrive (already got a GC controller), or to try out a character, but his sluggish frame data on top of that does not help.

Nintendo seriously needs to do something about it's online play because it seriously sucks atm. With the way the pandemic is, it could be half a year, or more, before we can get an actual solid idea on how competitively viable he is since we need offline tournaments to know for sure. THere's also a lack of MU knowledge since he's too new, but from what I'm seeing of Tweek, Dabuz, and others play as him, he seems ok... for now.

I'm still of the opinion that although his movement is good, his frame data is the biggest problem with him.

blackghost

Smash Champion

:]
ok umm marth and shiek have a win rate of 39.6 percent. ouch.

what this is actually good at showing is the specilist characters (shotos, bayonetta, and a few others) have a very dedicated playerbase that do win online. also if this is the data Nintendo is using (or something close to it) it makes sense there have been very few major changes in ultimate. even tho in tournament play certain characters do need help.

Last edited:
Top Bottom