• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Jeebus, I know Japan's meta is infamous for having top level players getting upsetted early, but I think Kome not even escaping Round Robin pools at Sumabato SP18 is a first lol.

Also, I think I've seen Shirayuki's name before. I recall he placed really well at the previous Sumabato tourney as well.

For King K. Rool, compared to Ganondorf especially, he wasn't just bad, but also arguably dysfunctional, or at least very undertuned. Most if not all of his unique traits were too weak or exploitable, and he really wasn't even as powerful in knockback dealt on average as you'd expect a heavy like him to be. Even if you could argue he was still technically better than Ganondorf in the early days (not a popular one then considering the latter's honeymoon period), stuff like his belly armor breaking from two good hits felt way worse than Ganon's usual struggles with approaches.
That would definitely line up with K Rool getting the buffs he did, especially if stuff like Belly Armor was that weak despite being a major highlight of the character. I recall characters like :ultkirby: :ultisabelle: having simliarily "broken" parts of their moveset; things like everyone being able to nonchalantly run over Lloid Mine or Kirby losing Inhale in 2-3 hits from even the weakest attacks felt very.... janky lol. Unsurprisingly, these characters were often considered worse than Ganon back then (hell, some people were willing to put Kirby in his own tier of "badness").

Last edited:

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
Tsumusoto's constant placement with :ultdoc: along with the character consistently placing with the #50s of Orion despite his notoriously weak popularity...

Is a constant reminder that we seriously need to get this character out of the same tier as :ultganondorf: and :ultlittlemac:.
Tsumusuto himself has a fairly high opinion of Doc as well, which is something I've noticed. His tier list from last patch ranked Doc between 40th and 50th out of 80 characters. His matchup chart from 12.0 (the current patch) makes Doc look like a solid character, and while there are definitely things about this matchup chart that seem suspect to me, I do think that it's worth noting that he thinks Doc does fine vs a very large portion of the roster, with only three matchups he considers to be worse than just a slight loss for Doc (He thinks Shulk is the hardest followed by Lucina and then Cloud, since this is ordered).

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

Eremurus

Smash Apprentice
ESAM's Pikachu opinions have been exaggerated and overblown since Brawl. This isn't anything new.

Pikachu does not hard counter Wii Fit Trainer -3/-4. That is ludicrous. The matchup is -2. Personally, Falco, Mr. Game & Watch, and Villager are harder for Wii Fit Trainer.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Results for Sumabato SP 19.

1. Tea :ultpacman:
2. Jogibu :ultfalcon:
3. Shirayuki :ultinkling:
4. Toura :ultsamus:
5. ZAKI :ultkingdedede:
5. Atelier :ultwolf: :ultpokemontrainer:
7. Misia :ultincineroar:
7. Taikei :ultsonic:
9. Masashi :ultcloud: :ultsephiroth:
9. Kome :ultshulk:
9. Nishiya :ultfalcon:
9. alice :ultroy: :ultchrom: :ultwario:
13. Sigma :ulttoonlink:
13. Tsuna :ultgreninja: :ultroy:
13. Komugiko :ultmegaman:
13. Floyd :ultyoshi:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I mean, yes, at this point can ESAM really be trusted on this matter? Clearly he's biased, so it's probably best to pay his Pikachu thoughts little mind outside a brief look to see if he's mended said bias. Seems he has not, and worse yet, seems to perpetuate it pretty strongly cause people listen to him...for some reason.

Arthur97

Smash Master
People listen to him because he's the best Pika and a top 15 player with potential to be top 10.
Yes, but this seems to be a good case of being a top player not meaning you actually know what you're talking about. Whether it be bias or his own skill tinting his vision, he doesn't seem willing or able to make an accurate judgement about Pikachu.

Gearkeeper-8a

Smash Apprentice
If pikachu was so strong agaisnt R.O.B, you would see atleast people couterpicking him, yet nobody does this.

Not only that theorically you have a character that basically gets free wins against heavies yet nobody switch to said character when they fight one.

A +3/+4 means you have so much advantage that even if your opponent is better that you, you will have the upper hand.

But "Pikachu is hard" it doesnt mean anything he isnt an old guiltygear/blazblue character he controls like the majority of the roster, he doesnt have complex inputs to do moves, and whatever you dont need to remember combos to win an 4/3+ matchup, that is the whole point of having a matchup that good.

This doesnt means that pikachu isnt top tier or a good character, but you dont have characters with so many good matchups dont get picked not even for counterpick because of technnical difficulty.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
If pikachu was so strong agaisnt R.O.B, you would see atleast people couterpicking him, yet nobody does this.
People who have a Pikachu do, I can assure you. Others just aren't going to counterpick a character they are less confident using in a matchup they're less experienced in. And people specifically looking for ROB counterpicks? They have easier options.

Last edited:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Well.... we're finally getting some Kazuya action, and it ain't from who you think it is.

AxiomXL is now sitting in Grand Finals of Push the Limit 12; along the way he 2-0'd DM:ultpikachu::ultpyra:, 3-2'd Sharp:ultjoker:, and 3-1'd even Marss:ultzss: of all players, where all the characters he defeated were MUs many players assumed he would struggle against.

He's now facing up against Light here: VGBootCamp - Twitch

EDIT: Oof, that ended fast lol. Still a really good sign of things to come tho:

Bracket with placements: Push the Limit 12 | Brackets (smash.gg)

Last edited:

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if this tournament actually is a good sign for Kazuya. Character seems extremely polarizing. There are some match ups that we haven't seen yet that he gets completely shut down in, Fox isn't even in his top 5 as far as bad matchups go.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Results from Sumabato SP 18

1. Shirayuki :ultinkling:
2. Mottsuan :ultbayonetta:
3. Taikei :ultsonic:
4. Sigma :ulttoonlink:
5. Rizeasu :ultbyleth: :ultzelda: :ultmarth: :ultbrawler: :ultrobin:
5. Toura :ultsamus:
7. Lunamado :ultbowser: :ultluigi:
7. Tsumusuto :ultdoc:
9. Komugiko :ultmegaman:
9. Atsumu :ultyoshi:
9. shori :ultwolf:
9. Senra :ultjigglypuff:
13. komorikiri :ultsephiroth: :ultpyra: :ultmythra: :ultwolf:
13. egapon :ultgnw:
13. alice :ultroy: :ultchrom: :ultwario:
13. Sylph :ultsheik:
Ok I need to watch rhis vod. What's the twitch?

blackghost

Smash Champion
I don't know if this tournament actually is a good sign for Kazuya. Character seems extremely polarizing. There are some match ups that we haven't seen yet that he gets completely shut down in, Fox isn't even in his top 5 as far as bad matchups go.
What? There is nothing new in what you said. We knew all that about him. What was shown is lead is no safe and if he touches you by no exaggeration you take 70. Another thing that matters a lot in tournament play is last hit scenarios. Most characters lose large portions of thier moveset in these moments. Kazuya doesn't. In these situations Kazuya becomes far scarier than most other characters.

Idk what people only see the negative on this character, truly confuses me.

Last edited:

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Yeah, let’s talk about all those bad matchups on the hardest character in the game whose players are all just getting over how to do the inputs on his key moves.

Kazuya doesn’t have a top 5 bad matchups. He doesn’t have a top 5 good matchups. Matchups derive from tool to tool interaction. If Marss knew that Kazuya’s command grab could armor through plasma whip, you think he would have relied on it for that high, offstage kill option coverage?

Axiom apparently forgot that left splits kick exists for five games with Banjo - and the entirety of the tournament. Y’know, it’s the reflector kick that also happens to be functionally safe on shield.

Somehow, he managed to make it through Pika, Joker, ZSS, and Aegis too. You think those four are in his top 5 easiest match ups?

WatwatBreton

Smash Cadet
Gave a quick glance at these Kazuya games (mostly the Marss ones) and a few things interested/surprised me:

- He plays more like a traditional smash character than I expected? This could absolutely be a player thing though (or a matchup thing, I'll have to watch the other games lol). But I went in expecting wavedashing everywhere and abusing intangibility on his bazillion moves and instead got something that reminded me of smash ken - a slow character who's gonna shield a lot and murder you on a hit. This may also evolve in the future of course as his meta grows.

- Up b looks surprisingly decent as an out of shield, it's not the fastest but the fact it doesn't put you in free fall and can kill with a decent hitbox gives it some uses. Makes me think of a discount game and watch up b in a way lol. Also apparently you can combo into it at high % as a kill confirm which made me laugh coz it's very not tekken looking :p.

- He gets a few kills out of laser edgegards, might just be matchup inexperience though lol. But eh you wont complain about having a "literally no risk high reward" button when your opponent is near a side blastzone.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Gave a quick glance at these Kazuya games (mostly the Marss ones) and a few things interested/surprised me:

- He plays more like a traditional smash character than I expected? This could absolutely be a player thing though (or a matchup thing, I'll have to watch the other games lol). But I went in expecting wavedashing everywhere and abusing intangibility on his bazillion moves and instead got something that reminded me of smash ken - a slow character who's gonna shield a lot and murder you on a hit. This may also evolve in the future of course as his meta grows.

- Up b looks surprisingly decent as an out of shield, it's not the fastest but the fact it doesn't put you in free fall and can kill with a decent hitbox gives it some uses. Makes me think of a discount game and watch up b in a way lol. Also apparently you can combo into it at high % as a kill confirm which made me laugh coz it's very not tekken looking :p.

- He gets a few kills out of laser edgegards, might just be matchup inexperience though lol. But eh you wont complain about having a "literally no risk high reward" button when your opponent is near a side blastzone.
Sakurai said he ultimately picked Kazuya over Heihachi because of his devil moves, and as I said earlier, these specials are what let him play Smash instead of Tekken when he needs to. Up B also works well as an anti-air, and the down-b can be an anti-pressure substitute against quicker, weaker hits, on top of letting him essentially tech chase on low platforms without actually getting on them. If reflecting or jumping over projectiles is too much of a hassle, sometimes you can use side b to punch them away while still advancing a bit.

The thing about dodging offstage lasers is that doing so may leave you unable to dodge the following down air Demon Scissors if you can't easily recover high.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Yeah, let’s talk about all those bad matchups on the hardest character in the game whose players are all just getting over how to do the inputs on his key moves.

Kazuya doesn’t have a top 5 bad matchups. He doesn’t have a top 5 good matchups. Matchups derive from tool to tool interaction. If Marss knew that Kazuya’s command grab could armor through plasma whip, you think he would have relied on it for that high, offstage kill option coverage?

Axiom apparently forgot that left splits kick exists for five games with Banjo - and the entirety of the tournament. Y’know, it’s the reflector kick that also happens to be functionally safe on shield.

Somehow, he managed to make it through Pika, Joker, ZSS, and Aegis too. You think those four are in his top 5 easiest match ups?
the funny part is ZSS might not be as bad as some initially thought. there was a moment in game 2 where kazuya dash THROUGH a normally safe poke from ZSS ftilt and killed her for it. plus zss loves to be in the air and kazuya is full of anti airs and air-to-air challenges.

and this was Mars he beat not some average ZSS
shotouts to mars and his podcats for calling kazuya average at best and then immediately losing to one.
Important to note this kazuya doesnt have the movmeent down to where he can do it on command if he gets a moment to think and plan it he uses it (and he dashes through a mars f tilt at least once this set).
the potential this character possess is crazy.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I want everyone to know that Marss grinded the Kazuya match with Axiom two days BEFORE the tournament.

Still lost.

Make of that what you will.

Fox will lose out in close range exchanges just like he does vs other FGC, but win hard if he gets them in disadvantage just like other FGC. They all have similar gameplans vs Fox and play the match a similar way. The match is most likely evenish.

MU's against Kazuya are gonna be alot of "this is how it should go if you play perfectly", because if Kazuya touches you then guess what?

At minimum you are taking around 50 to 70 percent. At most you lose a stock.
When you can lose a stock off one interaction and his primary combo starter is a safe, invincible, frame 8 attack that shuts down most buttons well it's a little difficult to quantify that in a match.

His fights will legit come down to can you avoid getting touched? Also what happens when Kazuya himself gets the stock lead?

Now you HAVE to engage him which means you are constantly flirting with death.

I don't think match-up ratios will mean anything to him in the long run similar to Makoto in 3s. She either grabs you or she doesn't.
Kazuya will either delete your stock, force you to interact with him and then steam roll you or he will not. You will absolutely need to abuse him as much as possible because any neutral interaction will favor him.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

It's definitely the player less so Kazuya being different... In Nairo's hands he moved like a Nairo for lack of a better word. Esam is far more aggressive with his ewgf usage but loses more stocks due to wiffs. Against marss, XL was decidedly patient using his opportunity well and relying on safe damage from rising uair and kill confirms from upb. I need to watch the gf still tho...

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman

Kazuya players (at least according to Riddles on stream) don't use the reflector kick because it has an awkward input and it's extremely committal. It might be safe on shield kinda, but it's extremely unsafe on whiff.

And when it comes to bad Kazuya matchups, I'm talking about basically every zoner. Any half decent Samus can beat even the most advanced Kaz player.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Kazuya players (at least according to Riddles on stream) don't use the reflector kick because it has an awkward input and it's extremely committal. It might be safe on shield kinda, but it's extremely unsafe on whiff.

And when it comes to bad Kazuya matchups, I'm talking about basically every zoner. Any half decent Samus can beat even the most advanced Kaz player.
lol.

What "advanced" Kazuya players are there?

It's been a month.

What are you even talking about?

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Any half decent Samus can beat even the most advanced Kaz player.
Due to his release being so soon the Meta demands that Kazuya start even with the whole cast until he consistently looses to a character in a major. Then he starts to slip into a Tier like S, A etc. Once he's lost several times by notable players or never wins beyond locals or on wifi then he can naturally drop into whatever but early analysis is obviously not cut and dry. So statements like X character can always beat Kazuya is of particular concern, logically.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Something to note: Axiom actually fought Marss earlier in the bracket.

It was in winner's semi-finals (right before winner's finals). Here, Marss won 3-0.
The 1-3 victory for Axiom was the runback in loser's finals.
I'll let you guys make the observations/differences from here.

Judging from opinions I have seen on Twitter and even on this very thread, opinions on Kazuya seems to be just as polarizing as the character himself.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Leg Splits Kick has about the same end lag as Pikachu's dash attack - 25 frames vs 23 frames. It's also -10/-8 on shield with a downward arc that can catch OOS options with leg intangibility to boot. And like everything else, crouch dash can be canceled into it. It also combos into Electric Wind God Fist from like 0-30%.

It's one of his best buttons and - for his opponents - one that is luckily underused.

1. Advanced Kaz players don't exist, so I guess you're right?
2. Samus isn't a zoner. Her harder matchups are actual zoners - like Duck Hunt.

blackghost

Smash Champion
people talk about zoning in smash like they are using morrigan in marvel 3 to keep someone out. outside min min very few characters can keep up a wall for an entire game.

kaz reflect is situational its useful in some matchups (pacman being my personal favorite) and worthless in others.

next issue is a scarcity issue. if oyu want to learn kaz match you have some problems 1. theres less than 20 players i'd guess with a solid knowledge and execution of the character to even warrant good practice and 2 even among those players theres so much left for them to learn and apply the practice you get will be out of date in a week.

kazuya today is an entirely different character from even 2 weeks ago. most characters in ultimate unfortunately are the kiddie pool, he's the ocean.

"just zone him." every time i read that, i laugh. becuase its funny.

I don't think match-up ratios will mean anything to him in the long run similar to Makoto in 3s. She either grabs you or she doesn't.
Kazuya will either delete your stock, force you to interact with him and then steam roll you or he will not. You will absolutely need to abuse him as much as possible because any neutral interaction will favor him.
so 50-50 across the board? Kappa.

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
Tournament results thread hasn’t been updated yet but Mechacon Omega just wrapped up today, it was a pretty large regional in Louisiana that had players from across the South such as KirbyKid, Fatality, EpicGabriel, Goblin, and even LingLing from Connecticut show up. Fatality ended up winning the event which isn’t that much of a surprise considering how good he’s been doing with buffed Captain Falcon, but 2nd place of the event is much more interesting. Sem, a Dr. Mario main with a Mii Brawler secondary, ended up taking sets over LingLing and #1 in Louisiana, Zie, to get 2nd place only losing to Fatality twice. This adds on to the weirdly insane results Doc players have been accumulating lately and also can be used for your Mii Brawler is high tier propaganda. (Honestly he is actually pretty solid)

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Tournament results thread hasn’t been updated yet but Mechacon Omega just wrapped up today, it was a pretty large regional in Louisiana that had players from across the South such as KirbyKid, Fatality, EpicGabriel, Goblin, and even LingLing from Connecticut show up. Fatality ended up winning the event which isn’t that much of a surprise considering how good he’s been doing with buffed Captain Falcon, but 2nd place of the event is much more interesting. Sem, a Dr. Mario main with a Mii Brawler secondary, ended up taking sets over LingLing and #1 in Louisiana, Zie, to get 2nd place only losing to Fatality twice. This adds on to the weirdly insane results Doc players have been accumulating lately and also can be used for your Mii Brawler is high tier propaganda. (Honestly he is actually pretty solid)
I can't actually find Epic_Gabriel in bracket. Where did he place?

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
There's honestly been a LOT to unpack this week, so to bring everyone up to speed on everything notable that's happened this week:

MechaCon Omega (197 entrants) (New Orleans, Louisiana)
MechaCon Omega | Brackets (smash.gg)

1. Fatality :ultfalcon:
2. Sem :ultdoc:| :ultbrawler:
3. LingLing :ultpeach:
4. Zie :ultpalutena:
5. KirbyKid :ultkrool:
5. Frozen :ultpyra:|:ultpalutena:
7. Default :ultsamus:
7. C. Falcon :ultmario::ultjoker:
9. DvDoh? :ultkingdedede:
9. malachite :ultsnake:
9. RJ :ultdk:
9. VideoGameGabriel :ulticeclimbers:
13. Mystic :ultswordfighter:
13. MisterMan :ultzss:
13. Ghoul :ultkingdedede:
13. Yat :ultjoker:

No Man's Land (147 entrants) (Wichita Falls, Texas)
Texoma eSports ... | Brackets (smash.gg)

1. MuteAce :ultpeach:
2. Epic_Gabriel :ultrob:
3. Stroder Ame :ultgreninja::ultmario:|:ultincineroar:
4. Teaser :ultsamus:
5. Gidy :ultroy::ultchrom:
5. Goblin :ultroy:|:ultike:
7. Jama :ultlink:
7. Kazma :ultrob:
9. Niko :ultsephiroth:
9. Vapor :ultgnw:
9. Ronnichu :ultsnake:
9. Ismon :ultwario:

Ecolution (113 entrants) (Jackson, Mississippi)
Ecolution - ($5... | Brackets (smash.gg)

1. Sonido :ultsonic:
2. Ataraxia :ultgnw:
3. ChillyChilli :ultmario:
4. merf :ultwolf::ultchrom:
5. YoseFu :ultsimon:
5. Makibaz :ultpalutena::ultbowser:
7. Kip! :ultjoker:
7. Mirage :ultsephiroth:
9. Pipp :ultsnake:
9. Tiger :ultfox:
9. Hushpuppy :ultsimon:
9. MiA :ultmario:

CROSSxUP (192 entrants) (Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania)
CROSSxUP ($500 ... | Brackets (smash.gg)

1. LeoN :ultbowser:
2. Quidd :ultpokemontrainerf:|:ultpacman:
3. Atomsk :ultkingdedede:
4. Zomba :ultrob:
5. Gen :ultpalutena:
5. AoS :ultzss:|:ultmario:
7. Jakal :ultwolf:
7. MRW :ultincineroar:
9. Mr. L :ultpikachu:
9. Luminous! :ultpit:
9. Mr. E :ultlucina:
9. Delta (-Tri-) :ultlink:
13. Yoda Cage :ultbowserjr:
13. Mercury :ultjoker:
13. WebbJP :ultzss:
13. BONK! :ultmetaknight:

Push the Limit 12 (128 entrants) (Waltham, Massachusetts)
Push the Limit 12 | Brackets (smash.gg)

1. Light :ultfox:
2. AxiomXL:ultkazuya:
3. Marss :ultzss:
4. naitosharp :ultjoker::ultzss::ultwolf:
5. DM :ultpikachu::ultpyra:
5. Unleashed :ultbanjokazooie:
7. Craftis :ultsonic:
7. 808 :ultsteve:
9. MFD :ultgreninja:
9. Pelca :ultsnake:
9. Frosty :ultzss::ultrichter:
9. The Law :ultpikachu:

Want to get into a bigger analysis of tomorrow, but TLDR version, I suppose:

• :ultpeach: seemingly holding her own even without a top 10 player thanks to LingLing's and MuteAce's efforts
  • Light and LeoN still got it, as do Sonido and Fatality
  • :ultkingdedede: (and :ultdoc:) in top 3?!
  • CROSSxUP in particular was wild with neither ZD and Sharp failing to make top 32

Still have no clue to make of Kazuya, and I honestly have no clue how anyone can be confident on who "hard counters" him, especially after Push the Limit 12. Y'all saw it with your own eyes, DM was overwhelming AxiomXL with Pika's frame data for nearly two-thirds of the fight and even had a two-stock lead against him at one point, only to have that lead disentegrated within the span of 10 seconds just from one opening. Someone with that kind of comeback potential isn't truly losing to anyone until all the stocks drop, no matter how big the opponent's lead may be.

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I have had a lot of success playing :ultbanjokazooie: against:ultkazuya:. Banjo’s down throw leads into a lot of options against Kazuya due to his insanely low first jump. With Banjo’s increased forward smash, it is pretty easy to KO Kazuya at lower percents.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I have had a lot of success playing :ultbanjokazooie: against:ultkazuya:. Banjo’s down throw leads into a lot of options against Kazuya due to his insanely low first jump. With Banjo’s increased forward smash, it is pretty easy to KO Kazuya at lower percents.
Agreed, Banjo can definitely handle Kazuya.

Fanboy commentating aside lol.... not a bad display of the matchup, really.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
One matchup that I could see giving Kazuya trouble is actually Mii Brawler. He's got the mobility, the frame data, certain specials that can rob stocks early, and (crucially IMO) a burst- movement command grab. I find that Incineroar's is markedly effective against dealing with both Kazuya's tricky movement and exploiting his jump squat issues, but Brawler's is faster at the expense of never KOing.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Riddles won a tournament with solo Kazuya
He got JV4'd by JW's Greninja, but still ended up winning the set.
I have a feeling Kazuya will be about as good as :4ryu: being incredibly hard to pick up and play but also incredibly rewarding when doing so, as well as having insane kill power and damage output (Like how Ryu could kill at 60% back in Smash 4 with a jab into Heavy Shoryuken) in exchange for poor mobility.

Last edited:
Top Bottom