• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Well, he's not wrong lol. Twitter threads sometimes lead to good discussion, but oftentimes I am not surprised when I see known players just not want to keep a reply convo going, mostly because whoever they're replying to won't agree to disagree and stays argumentative.

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
Data point of one, but I mained Lucas back in Brawl and Ness never quite clicked for me in the same way. I actually attribute it to their different versions of PK Fire -- because Lucas's always goes straight forward, he can use short hops to remain somewhat mobile while using it. Ness, by contrast, has to root himself in place or else deal with that ~45 degree airborne angle, which gives it much less effective (horizontal) range.

Also, a question for the dataminers: Do Ness/Lucas have any special or unusual properties on their double jump? I've never been sure if they actually behave differently or if the twirls and sparkles just do a really good job of making it feel unique.
In addition to what Bookworm said Ness and Lucas’ DJ allows them to cancel it with an item throw or special move. DJ being cancelable allows Ness to use magnet offensively and defensively as depending on the frame you cancel the DJ with the magnet you gain various amounts of momentum which allow for psudo infinites and zero to death combos. DJ being cancelable also allows for Ness to make use of a tech called PKF Jump in which Ness gains considerable forward (or backwards if you b reverse it) momentum when using an aerial PKF, almost like a third short jump. Useful in letting him cover more space than his current position in the air would usually allow.

As mentioned they also can cancel their DJ by throwing an item. Letting them both do some fun things with items like turnips or metal blade.

Lastly another quirk due to Ness’ special DJ is that they can land completely lagless when using a DJ at a what is likely a pixel perfect position when near a stage ledge. (Not 100% sure if Lucas also can do this)This happens because when Ness DJs he actually moves downwards slightly before rising. When done right the game mistakenly reads him as grounded and snaps him to the ground out of the DJ instantly, ignoring normal lag for landing. To my knowledge no one can actually do it even remotely consistently so it’s not applicable in an actual match.

https://media.discordapp.net/attach...361169027122/Hey_want_to_see_a_cool_trick.mp4

Last edited:

Myollnir

Smash Ace
Characters with a double jump that takes some time to make them gain height ( :ultmewtwo: :ultlucas::ultyoshi::ultness:) can also use instant double jump out of shield to hit closer to the grounded (and remove the SH multiplier as an added bonus), as you can buffer both double jump and aerial from the jumpsquat.

This allows :ultmewtwo: to punish stuff that he normally shouldn't be able to with IDJ F-air, like a spaced :ultwolf: F-Smash, for instance.

BlueRando

Smash Rookie
:ultlucas: is one of the characters I understand the least, but unlike others in that camp I do enjoy playing him quite a bit. I'm glad BlueRando BlueRando brought him up and would love to hear more thoughts on him.

Wi-fi Lucas is defintiely a thing, yeah? Like, he's not good, per se, but if you are a super nervous (or lazy?) player who just wants to sit back and press the B button online, Lucas is about as good as it gets.

I just watched a few matches of Reumina and Mekos, which paints a pretty diffrent picture. They both show a really "balanced", mundane character, whose bread n butter is constantly alternating defensive PK Fire and offensive fair. Zair looks great in the lab and they both use it a lot, but it's a very low-reward compromise between fair/Fire and not what Lucas wants to be landing. (In real matches, zair seldom leads to much.) And then when the opponent is in a compromised position, Lucas can go in with a bair or nair and try to start a respectable little combo.

Lucas's recovery mixup options are good but not great. Lucas's throws are good but not great. Lucas's edgeguard options are good but not great. Lucas's other kill options are good but not great. Lucas is like Banjo in that he has a lot of options for all of these things, but he has less variety than Banjo for better or for worse. You end up with a really ordinary character, whose many quirks just make him odd rather than extreme.

Where does he stand in the roster? I actually imagine it's controversial in the same way that Pit is. A lot of people will be tempted to just say he's severly underplayed at top level, or that there's some cultural substitution factor with Ness. (Who I'll remind you is the most played character!) But I'm not sure how ironclad those assertions are; this ain't exactly Marth. It's just as easy to say that Lucas's decent usage is artificially propped up the same way Ness or Ganon is, and from there say that he really is a bottom 15 or 10 character. (Insofar as that means anything in this game.)

On a personal Lucas note, I miss Brawl dair. That was the coolest move, and the Ultimate version doesn't work at all the same way. (Brawl dair came out super early and could carry the opponents into the air, and a FHFF would still auto-cancel and let you chase their tech--and if they didn't tech, dair jab-locked. Smash 4 neutered the move by making it come out way later and adjusting fall speed and timings so that FHFFAC wasn't a use case. Now in Ultimate you can't even buffer FH aerials anymore, and if you could hit them dair doesn't even lift grounded opponents off the ground at all! Ultimate seems to have an entirely different purpose for dair, repackaged as a SH weapon: either dragging opponents offstage into the spike or serving as some sort of higher-risk nair alternative with far worse dragging and surprisingly low reward.)
Thank you for your appreciation, I was worried that I could seem like a salty kid that is angry with the world for talking **** about his main lol, I'm happy that I created a discussion

I agree for the most part, there's just a couple of things which I disagree with:

Zair is a great combo tool, that can also lead into fair, dash attack and grab (Lucas has 3 kill throws), and all of them can kill or at least setup an edgeguarding situation, or they can simply put the opponent in a disadvantage situation, which means that in a lot of situations it is actually more rewarding than fair, mainly from low to mid % (even tho fair is still a great tool for Lucas, it can be even a combo starter at 0%)

Secondly, I disagree with your comment about his edgeguarding, not only it is good, it's AMAZING. Lucas is arguably one of the best characters in the game for edgeguarding, PK Thunder alone can gimp the vast majority of the cast, even some of the best characters can struggle against Thunder, like, for example, :ultwolf: or:ultroy:
And I still haven't mentioned his Dair and Bair (both of them can gimp AND spike), coupled with his 2 framing potential with Dsmash and angled Ftilt

Lucas and Ness are, despite their identical attributes and similar "structure", two VERY different characters.
Ness is a character that is rewarded by his amazing aerials, Lucas, on the other hand, while his aerials are still good, has a very strong ground and boxing game, mainly thanks to his Ftilt (which is a contender for best Ftilt in the game, because of his range, speed, knockback and safety) and Dtilt (which can combo into Ftilt and Grab).

Lucas struggles mainly against characters that can fight him in his own terms, ( :ultgreninja: and :ultrob:, for example, both of them have an amazing Dtilt that can contest with Lucas's), or characters that can **** him up in disadvantage, either by outranging him (mainly :ultshulk:), or camping him (like :ultzss:, who I personally consider his worst matchup, but I guess that better Lucas players would say otherwise).

Rizen

Smash Legend
Another thing about :ultlucas:'s edge guarding and ledge trapping is that PKFreeze is a really good move. It's like PKFlash but it travels fast and kills off the side which makes it much better in those situations. Freeze would be busted on a better character. I think Lucas is upper mid tier btw.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Another thing about :ultlucas:'s edge guarding and ledge trapping is that PKFreeze is a really good move. It's like PKFlash but it travels fast and kills off the side which makes it much better in those situations. Freeze would be busted on a better character. I think Lucas is upper mid tier btw.
Yeah, PK Freeze got hella buffed in Ultimate. I basically never clicked that particular button in Brawl/4 except by mistake, then I used it in Ultimate and my friend (an Ike main) promptly flipped his **** when he got flung off the side. Hilarious, to be sure, but also strange in its own way. "Wait, this move is good now?"

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
about his edgeguarding, not only it is good, it's AMAZING. Lucas is arguably one of the best characters in the game for edgeguarding, PK Thunder alone can gimp the vast majority of the cast, even some of the best characters can struggle against Thunder, like, for example, :ultwolf: or:ultroy:
I like hearing about the gameplans of nonpolarizing, lesser played cast members.

But I'm not sure if "can edgeguard Roy" is really worth a bullet point on the ol resume`, if you follow me. 😀

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Zair is a great combo tool, that can also lead into fair, dash attack and grab (Lucas has 3 kill throws), and all of them can kill or at least setup an edgeguarding situation, or they can simply put the opponent in a disadvantage situation, which means that in a lot of situations it is actually more rewarding than fair, mainly from low to mid % (even tho fair is still a great tool for Lucas, it can be even a combo starter at 0%)
I highlighted this in my comments; zair is a great great combo starter in theory, but go watch Mekos or other top Lucas players and you won't see basically any zair combos. They do use zair--a lot!--but more like a poor man's ZSS zair, used at SH height or so rather than landing, used to disrupt aerial footsies.

Why? Because a landing point-blank zair (rather than retreating) is a unsafe option that doesn't really mesh with everything else Lucas wants to be doing. Why land such a weak hitbox point-blank into shield when you could have been spacing those retreating fairs/PK Fires or cross ups, like Mekos spends the entire neutral doing?

It's not about reward, it's about risk, and zair has the same safety on shield as fair. The difference is that when you do them fading back out of reach, one still KOs and does almost triple the damage of the other.

Look at pretty much any top Lucas vid, and you'll see fair carrying most of the work--from 0% combo starting to damage to KOs. He's far from a one-trick pony, but combined with PK Fire it's a really strong foundation. (And it synergizes well with a tether grab + good throws)

Secondly, I disagree with your comment about his edgeguarding, not only it is good, it's AMAZING. Lucas is arguably one of the best characters in the game for edgeguarding, PK Thunder alone can gimp the vast majority of the cast, even some of the best characters can struggle against Thunder, like, for example, :ultwolf: or:ultroy:
And I still haven't mentioned his Dair and Bair (both of them can gimp AND spike), coupled with his 2 framing potential with Dsmash and angled Ftilt
All of these are good tools, but it's unreasonable to characterize him as among the best.

Lucas PK Thunder is a nusance but often requires an error on the opponent's part to convert into a kill--like a much better version of Fire Breath. Using it outside of simple traps around the ledge opens Lucas up to extremely unusual levels of vulnerability. Contrast with Ness's, whose is far less vulnerable to ending up fully exposed and can use a successful PKT to lead into another option. (Since it terminates the move)

PK Freeze on the other hand is deadly but only actually works as a reliable trap in narrow situations/opponents. (Fox/Falco is a good example.)

Bair/Dair are functional spikes, but aren't particularly standout among spikes--they require just as much of a read as most, don't have impressive vertical disjoint or startup, and are marginally more difficult to 2-frame with. I would heavily argue against anyone claiming they are bad moves or not relevant to edgeguarding, but no one in the cast is trading their spikes for these.

D-smash is okay. It gets heavily overrated while still being an above-average move for hitting 2-frames. It charges on frame 5 but only hits on frame 20, so it's pretty mediocre to time. It lasts a healthy 3 frames, and of course has the signature perk that if you were off by exactly 10 frames (or 20!), you will still hit! But, that's actually not terribly likely? Few characters can mixup their recovery "except only by 10 or 20 frames." 99% of the time, you tried to 2 frame them and you were a couple frames off. And all of this comes at the cost of being a move that takes roughly 55 frames from release--not the safest thing to be throwing out at the ledge. Again, it's 100% worth doing as Lucas, and better than what some characters have got, but it's hardly among the best 2-frame tools in the game.

In Mekos vids, we see the real winning edgeguard tools for Lucas are the same as what he's always doing in neutral: sniping with PK Fire or punching you in the face with fair. They are safe, they WILL kill people, and demand immediate compromises and counter-reads from the opponent if they want to make it back alive. He mixes in ALL of his other tools as the situations arise, and sometimes he does land that D-smash or PK Freeze read, but most of the time it's conditioning to help enable yet another PK Fire snipe.

Put all the pieces together and it's a pretty good edgeguard! But it's no :ultminmin, it's no :ultivysaur:, it's no :ultpikachu::ultpichu:, it's no :ultjigglypuff:, it's no :ultsimon::ultrichter::ultpiranha:. I would put Lucas edgeguards below a variety of "high tier" edgeguards and ledgetraps, ranging from :ultvillager::ultisabelle: pressure,:ultbyleth: zoning, :ultduckhunt: walls, and :ultincineroar: 2-frame conversions. :ultsephiroth: ironically has a lot of overlap with Lucas in their edgeguards, and offers an overall more threatening application. Mekos's opponents make it back to the stage perhaps less than the average, but much more than you'd see from many of those characters listed.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Anyone else finding that playing online makes them even worse?

I find that I'm getting exponentially worse over time, to the point that I consider it embarrassing that I'm even trying to play this game because I suck so much.

I'm unsure whether it's because I genuinely suck and should cease and desist, or online is making me suck, but then I feel that's just an excuse tbh.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

I find that I'm getting exponentially worse over time, to the point that I consider it embarrassing that I'm even trying to play this game because I suck so much.

I'm unsure whether it's because I genuinely suck and should cease and desist, or online is making me suck, but then I feel that's just an excuse tbh.
Online does have the tendency to breed bad habits so that may have something to do with it.

Myollnir

Smash Ace
:ultlucas:'s Double Jump Cancelled Z-air is not used as much as one would think just because of the fear of missing the input, IMO.

You can do it close to the ground and forward (while safe, it can be interrupted and puts you in a situation where you have to quickly react that it hit a shield and use D-Tilt/Jab to interrupt a punish). However, the most effective way to use this in the neutral imo is to DJCZ while rising during your FH to get a better zoning hitbox with not as much reward especially if you don't drift forwards (but sometimes F-Tilt or grab can be guaranteed).

That tech is insane. You just can't afford to do it as much as you'd want to because of a potential miss ; using your double jump in the neutral + putting you in Z-air endlag can litterally make you lose a stock. And it's frame perfect (although pressing 2 different buttons at the same frame is definitely doable).

D-Smash is insane to 2-frame, and has way less endlag than you'd expect, making you able to shield counterattacks from the ledge if you didn't hit them. The gaps between the hits aren't a problem, as most of the recoveries can't be timed on reaction. Combined with the huge hitbox, from my experience, you'll have a pretty good hit rate with this move.

The problem lies within his other options. F-Tilt hits instantly and kills ridiculously early for such a move, and his general edgeguarding is really good (WAY better than most of the characters mentioned above). This makes D-Smash really only worth going for at low to mid % (fun fact, if someone puts themselves offstage at 0% and you 2-frame them with D-Smash, the 2nd and 3rd hits can combo into themselves, dealing massive damage and often leading to an early kill).

PK Thunder absolutely destroys low recoveries. Anything like :ultbyleth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultken::ultminmin:ultbayonetta: is fair game. Really easy to do, and no counterplay for certain characters due to the orb being transcendant. PK Freeze is great as well against slow recoveries and will kill at ridiculous %s.

:ultlucas:starts struggling when he can't force a low recovery by jumping and forcing an airdodge with a PK Fire snipe. If your character usually recovers high (:ultrob::ultwario::ultsnake:) he won't do ANYTHING to you. He has terrible ground speed coupled with an atrocious vertical mobility, and on top of that, his U-air has a very little hitbox to juggle (don't get me wrong it's an awesome move, safe on shield, combos into itself up to like 6-8 times depending on platforms, but as a juggle tool it's mediocre at best). Some characters can recover high, and although it's not their prefered method usually, it often is against:ultlucas: (I've seen a japanese :ultpacman: start doing this in the middle of a set and have way better success in the match-up).

Lack of vertical pressure is overall what harms :ultlucas:the most. I'd argue that he's high tier on Final Destination, but overall he's certainly low mid. :ultness:'s PK Thunder would be so much better on him since his own UpB is better for edgeguarding but he's already good at it without the move and he only really lacks a juggle tool.

Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Online does have the tendency to breed bad habits so that may have something to do with it.
It's quite embarrassing how I'm performing so maybe I should not play this game anymore lol.

Makes me wonder how people who are better than me don't let online make them so bad.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

I do find grinding away at quickplay can make me feel worse, even though when I step back and look at the big picture I can still see how I've improved in the past several months. It's very easy to get tilted when going up against faceless opponents, and when you get tilted you get overly critical of yourself and start dwelling on mistakes you'd normally move on from.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I think this Lucas talk is a good example of a phenomenon we're familar with.

Take this Mekos vs. Kola set, which is very recent accounting for the timeskip:

You probably watch those games and have thoughts similar to the commentators: Whoa, Lucas's edgeguards are so dominant! It's his 'win condition'!

Mekos got Kola's Roy off stage 16 times this set. And 6/16 times, he either killed Kola or earned a very large amount of damage. More than a third, that's pretty good! But it's not a surprise, as Lucas edgeguarding is definitely above average and Roy recovery is quite poor. (And unusually bad against PKT in particular) All of those 6 dominant exchanges were exciting and flashy, as every single one of Lucas's edgeguarding moves are.

You know what wasn't flashy or exciting?

The 8/16 times Kola beat Mekos off-stage in that set.

He got Mekos what I would consider "off-stage" exactly the same number of times, as luck would have it. And he got just as many kills, and some additional major 30%+ damage exchanges where Mekos lived but ate something huge getting back. But it was just boring old Roy aerials, boring Roy ledgetrapping against boring ledge options.

In this one set, Roy had better edgeguarding than Lucas just as a hard statistical fact. Yet almost no one would walk away with that impression! Lucas "feels" like an amazing edgeguarder, and Roy doesn't, because the nature of Lucas's options inspire great fear and feel incredible to land. (And PKT in particular drags the experience out in an excrutiating way.) The emotions of the audience tell one story, the actual numbers (and win screen) tell another.

Plot twist, this post was secretly about :ultpikachu:. Sorry.

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
In this one set, Roy had better edgeguarding than Lucas just as a hard statistical fact.
Um, no.

Roy edgeguarded once in that whole set. First game, run-off fair. It worked and killed.

Roy ledgetrapped roughly half the stocks; the other half Lucas just explodes from sweetspot bair from above the stage/platform.

At one point Lucas killed a 30% Roy with edgeguarding.

At one point a stretcher platform saves Roy's life from Lucas's edgeguard, but Lucas just kills him with another edgeguard.

Lucas frequently edgeguarded into a second edgeguard, into a 2-frame attempt, into a ledgetrap.

Xfire

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7577-9083-5019
You know what wasn't flashy or exciting?

The 8/16 times Kola beat Mekos off-stage in that set.
Are you counting the time when Roy uses jab to confirm to a bair, or are you saying that number due to the amount of failed ledge-get ups by Lucas? Either way, it sounds like a different definition of what an "edge-guard" is for some characters. Snake for instance can do drop-down ledge B-air for an edgeguard situation, but he'd rather use Nikita to stay on-stage and intercept the opponent's recovery that way. Could it just be an "edge-guard" situation even though
Snake didn't go offstage technically? Maybe it can be some sort of definition to talk about.

I'd also like to commend Kola for keeping his jump and wisely use his up-b to purposely get hit by PK thunder to extend his recovery, even if it does lead to more ledgetrap/edgeguard setups for Lucas (D-Smash, PK Fire Snipe, etc.).

PURGE THEM LIKE THE

Smash Apprentice

How did you determine you're becoming a worse player? I sincerely doubt anyone would be better not playing the game at all instead of playing online. At the very least, continuing to play the game online will maintain you muscle memory for some actions and your ability to make certain reads.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I don't think wifi makes you a worse player but you'll certainly develop some bad wifi habits to drop before competing offline again.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
How did you determine you're becoming a worse player? I sincerely doubt anyone would be better not playing the game at all instead of playing online. At the very least, continuing to play the game online will maintain you muscle memory for some actions and your ability to make certain reads.
I'm basically losing all the time now. Not to mention responsiveness (myself as well as input delay being a problem) isn't helping.

I'm not moving how I want to either. How I want to move, versus how I'm actually doing so in game, are two completely different things. I guess I'm just getting old lol. I certainly didn't have these issues when I played melee back in the day when I was younger.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Either way, it sounds like a different definition of what an "edge-guard" is for some characters. Snake for instance can do drop-down ledge B-air for an edgeguard situation, but he'd rather use Nikita to stay on-stage and intercept the opponent's recovery that way. Could it just be an "edge-guard" situation even though Snake didn't go offstage technically?
Like......... PK Thunder? ¯\(ツ)

All the game cares about is, "did they get back to neutral from being in disadvantage off-stage?" It doesn't matter how--Lucas doesn't get more points for closing the kill with PKT gimps, PK Freeze callouts, bair/dair spikes, on-stage 2-frames, boring ledgetrap grabs, or a sexy ledgetrap PKT2. They all go to the same win screen.

You can have a semantic debate on "is ledgetrapping a subcategory of edgeguarding or a separate thing", "is it really edgeguarding if Min Min is still on stage", or "is 2-framing technically edgeguarding, and what about trumping", but man, I can't express how little I care about that conversation.

BTW, if you want to see peak whatever-you-call-winning-off-stage-disadvantage, go watch some Protobanham Min Min. It's especially scary if you believe that he still has more room to grow than his opponents' counterplay, which I think is true. We are in for a storm when the pandemic lifts and the dragon is unleashed.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix

All the game cares about is, "did they get back to neutral from being in disadvantage off-stage?" It doesn't matter how--Lucas doesn't get more points for closing the kill with PKT gimps, PK Freeze callouts, bair/dair spikes, on-stage 2-frames, boring ledgetrap grabs, or a sexy ledgetrap PKT2. They all go to the same win screen.

You can have a semantic debate on "is ledgetrapping a subcategory of edgeguarding or a separate thing", "is it really edgeguarding if Min Min is still on stage", or "is 2-framing technically edgeguarding, and what about trumping", but man, I can't express how little I care about that conversation.

BTW, if you want to see peak whatever-you-call-winning-off-stage-disadvantage, go watch some Protobanham Min Min. It's especially scary if you believe that he still has more room to grow than his opponents' counterplay, which I think is true. We are in for a storm when the pandemic lifts and the dragon is unleashed.
I'm not sure but it seems like you and him are having two completely different conversations. It's almost as if he's talking more about stage spiking while you're talking more about offstage play....am I reading this right? It's like you two aren't on the same page...

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
You can have a semantic debate on "is ledgetrapping a subcategory of edgeguarding or a separate thing", "is it really edgeguarding if Min Min is still on stage", or "is 2-framing technically edgeguarding, and what about trumping", but man, I can't express how little I care about that conversation
Maybe you should care. Silently substituting your own personal definitions for known terms like edgeguarding or matchup charts when trying to make a point makes you sound like a fruitloop.

Implying a group of players or Lucas mains are just a bunch of silly little Timmys thinking their moves are good because sparkly fireworks makes it a particularly soggy fruitloop.

Those fireworks have something like 70 active frames with a hitbox malleable enough to scribble one's initials onto their opponents' recovery path. A great player is intentionally eating it's damage many, many times because it's better than the alternative of dying at 30 again.

If you wanna say it still doesn't make up for Lucas getting his clock cleaned onstage, sure. If you wanna say Roy can still keep Lucas in a kind of disadvantage better despite that, there's words for that. If you wanna say that edgeguarding in general in Ultimate is significantly weaker than ledgetrapping, see the CCI thread from shortly after release.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Maybe you should care. Silently substituting your own personal definitions for known terms like edgeguarding or matchup charts when trying to make a point makes you sound like a fruitloop.

Implying a group of players or Lucas mains are just a bunch of silly little Timmys thinking their moves are good because sparkly fireworks makes it a particularly soggy fruitloop.

Those fireworks have something like 70 active frames with a hitbox malleable enough to scribble one's initials onto their opponents' recovery path. A great player is intentionally eating it's damage many, many times because it's better than the alternative of dying at 30 again.

If you wanna say it still doesn't make up for Lucas getting his clock cleaned onstage, sure. If you wanna say Roy can still keep Lucas in a kind of disadvantage better despite that, there's words for that. If you wanna say that edgeguarding in general in Ultimate is significantly weaker than ledgetrapping, see the CCI thread from shortly after release.
The problem here is that a lot of smash terms are used interchangeably and often incorrectly on a regular basis. According to the smash dictionary (about as close to we get to a consensus for official terminology) the following is the definition of edgeguarding.

"Edgeguarding"- Attempting to stop the opponent from being back on stage with all their options available again once they are hit off.

It is very broad and would include what is commonly considered to be ledge trapping as a subset of edgeguarding. This leads me to believe edgeguarding includes everything you do after initially hitting them offstage until they return to neutral (on the stage). How proactive you are in throwing hitboxes offstage or going offstage yourself are not part of the definition of edgeguarding. I think it's disingenuous to say he is using his own non-standard definition, much less in a self-serving way.

Again, the problem is there is no "definitive" authority on these things. For example, I could say for edgeguarding stops once they grab the ledge, someone else can go further and say 2 frames also don't count as edgeguarding, and a third person can say the smash dictionary definition (which was made for smash 4). Who is correct here? I would assume the correct choice here would be to use the smash dictionary definition, but nowadays a lot of people seem to disregard it (intentionally or otherwise).

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I've torn myself away from Sekiro to practice both as and against :ultsephiroth:. Here are some observations about his MUs:
Seph has a similar weakness to Link/YL in neutral that his attacks poke out in a + shape at 90 degree angles. These 4 directions at sword length should be considered no zones in 95% of the MUs against him. He just wins in that zoning area. Dair is long enough to beat most upward attacks from directly above. Nair is a nice big circle around him that helps cover his blind spots and a good move but at frame 9 with 2 active frames it's hardly a gtfo move. Therefor Seph can be very strong vs characters who can't slip past his sword zoning, especially with Fair, but hitting slippery little critters can be hard for him. I'm talking low profiling and good diagonal burst options. Mobility is a huge advantage vs Seph and lack of it will hurt you bad.

Seph's projectiles are slow and generally trade with other projectiles. As far as zoning goes, they're not very good. Faster projectile zoners like YL can easily out-spam him. Seph's sideB is good for forcing an action from the opponent and fast enough to throw out in neutral. It's a good move that compliments his scary shield break game. Flare should only really be used in advantage. Even the weakest version has a frame 41 startup. But the explosions can't be reflected so it's great for ledge/landing traps.

Seph's advantage is excellent because Usmash/air cover huge areas. His disadvantage varies. He is a tall character who gets juggled hard and his fastest OoS is f12 SH Nair. He suffers from vortexes a lot. But his recovery is extremely hard to challenge and can potentially reverse kill you for doing so. He probably won't be gimped except by a projectile. It should also be mentioned that although he is very strong, he's extremely light. Games will go quick one way or another.

So how does this play out for MUs? Here are my impressions of the Seph MUs vs my characters (keep in mind these are just early impressions/theorycrafting without much experience):

:ultyounglink: is probably even. Seph has a strict range where he wins. YL's projectiles out camp him at long rang, if Seph tries to use flare YL can fire 2 arrows; the first to cancel flare and the next will hit him. Boomerang has great diagonal angles that are safe from Seph's sword. Then at very close range YL out buttons him with f4 Nair and jab. Seph wants to zone YL no closer than Nair and no farther than Fair's tip. As always, YL has the better neutral but seph has a much better advantage. They both kill early. Seph is actually lighter than YL.

:ultlink: is either even or a slight advantage for seph. Link's not very mobile and unlike YL he can't out spam seph. Link can struggle to get past Seph's zoning. Link is much heavier and doesn't need to hit Seph a lot to win. Link's bomb and arrows are excellent for gimping Seph, which few characters can do.

:ultkrool: interestingly I think KRool wins this slightly. Hear me out; it's all about character tool interactions. KRool has a unique kit which is effective vs seph. Seph is sluggish to attack and very easy to punish with things like crown. If seph tries to zone with Fair/tilt, crown powers through and puts him into disadvantage. Krool wins trades, being the second heaviest character in the game. Belly armor is also very good for getting around Seph's amazing advantage state. KRool's Nair is an extremely helpful move. KRool can land Nair and combo into things like his f4 14% iirc jab combo. Then when it comes to edge guarding KRool's Dsmash has belly armor on the bottom and hits hard so Seph's great upB is actually a liability. Krool also has a reflector to stop flares.

:ultridley:Seph probably wins. He's not as bad as characters who can vortex and keep Rid in disadvantage like Pichu etc but Rid really doesn't have an answer to his zoning. Rid does have a few tools. SH Fair has good range as an OoS punish and Nair is a huge circle that Seph struggles to avoid in disadvantage. Fire lets Rid edge guard him.

:ultganondorf:Not much to say about this; it plays out like you'd expect. Ganon gets walled hard and really struggles. If Ganon can play a slow game of shielding to approach and get good reads he at least kills Seph extremely early.

:ultwolf: wins. Wolf has great airspeed and can jump over Seph's sword with Fairs to juggle or Bair to kill. Blaster goes farther than seph's sword and is transcendent so it gives him a lot of trouble. Wolf also wins up close.

:ultbylethf: Seph does what Byleth does but better. Although the MU isn't as bad as you'd think. By wins up close with a faster nair and has a lot of power to kill Seph early if she outplays him just a bit. By's arrows are surprisingly good against Seph's tall hurtbox.

:ultzss: disclaimer: ZSS is by far my worst character. I can't really say how this MU goes but Seph is hard for her. ZSS normally has an amazing mid range game with Zairs, phaser, etc but Seph controls that area better. ZSS does outbutton him hard with Fairs and quick ground options though.

Last edited:

DougEfresh

Smash Journeyman

I must admit, the middle portion of your post here strikes me as rather uncharacteristic of you. Typically, your posts contain robust statistical datasets to show a bigger point you're trying to make, or offer a thorough analytical thought process to accomplish the same and stimulate discussion; whereas here, you avoid what you call a "semantic debate" over very basic smash terminology that can be quite easily reconciled even if it is a bit "dry" or "dull." I'm sure you're a busy guy (and so am I), but I think we can do better than that.

Perhaps it's the future lawyer in me, but I think it's very important to clarify definitions of terms we use in our discussion, even moreso for basic terms, to make sure we're all on the same page and performing our "due diligence" to post in a thoughtful way that reflects the stated purpose of this entire thread.

Enough with the diatribe; here are the general definitions I use on all of the above terms based on empirical observation and experience:

- Edgeguard: When your opponent is off-stage, and you intercept them so you KO them into side blastzones, regardless of what resources your opponent may have had to recover back to ledge and return to stage to reset neutral.

-Gimp: This one might be a stretch (and it wasn't expressly brought up here); arguably, this is just a subcategory of an edgeguard, but I define this identical to the edgeguard definition above except that more often, the opponent has expended most, if not all, of their resources to get back to ledge, making them easier to intercept. I also find the usage of "gimp" to mean a KO not directly out to the side blastzone, but falling to their death to the bottom blastzone because they don't have the mobility or resources to attempt getting back to the stage's ledge.

-Ledgeguard: Aptly, intercepting your opponent from recovering to the ledge specifically rather than (more) preemptively intercepting your opponent off-stage before they even have the chance to drift back toward the ledge. Two-framing is a good example of this.

-Ledgetrap: Again rather apt, but your opponent has already made it to the ledge and is trying to get off it, giving you the opportunity to react to their get up option, go for a hard read on their get up option, or employ more tactful conditioning that your character has available to make punishing a particular option more likely.

In other words, the only meaningful difference in these definitions is the opponent's relative proximity to the ledge and/or center stage; an edgeguard in practice means the opponent is very likely going to be at a further distance from the ledge, ledgeguard indicates a much closer proximity to the ledge (either just about to use a DJ or up b to recover to ledge, or attempting to snap to the ledge after using those options), and ledgetrap, finally and obviously, meaning that the opponent is already on the ledge and attempting to get off it while you maintain stage control and opportunity to net the kill.

In light of the above, it's clear that much of what :ultminmin does to her opponents to kill them would be edgeguarding and ledgeguarding (via 2-framing or just as they approach ledge otherwise), although she's certainly no slouch when it comes to ledge trapping either; her ability to do this from center stage is unique and exceptional, but her ability to maintain that positioning where others cannot is irrelevant to defining these basic terms.

Re: Mekos :ultlucas:/Kola :ultroy: set

Just going to provide some quick thoughts on this: Many of us know that Lucas's disadvantage state is less than stellar, but I couldn't help but notice that Mekos tended to ledge jump a lot and if it wasn't that, it was a ledge drop DJ fair typically. Maybe it was just nerves, but he really should've mixed it up more, especially considering the caliber of player that Kola is (if Mekos mixed it up, Kola very well could've reacted to and/or read his option and kill him anyway, but mixing up options from ledge obviously and inherently makes your opponent's objective more difficult). Also, applying my proposed definitions of basic terms above, Roy got a lot off of ledgetraps (typical Roy stuff, really) and Lucas got relatively more edgeguards and ledgeguards, which I think many of us can agree aligns well with what we expect from the character.

I just figured I'd take the time to give my thoughts on this boring ol' "semantic debate," because while it's rather dry and trivial in the grand scheme of things, if we're not cogent with our definitions and understanding of what constitutes an "edgeguard," "ledgeguard," and "ledgetrap," how can we expect of ourselves -- let alone, expect from others -- to be cogent in applying those definitions and understanding of the terms in an accurate way (let alone more advanced concepts of the game)?! Preferring to not get into the nittier and grittier semantics (even if just occasionally; it obviously doesn't need to take up the lionshare of discussion) of these things is, I would reckon, a substantial factor in why the smash community is so shallow and misinformed about discussions of numerous aspects of the game, and I know for myself and many others that that is a phenomenon we are getting more than just a bit frustrated with contending against at this point.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I must admit, the middle portion of your post here strikes me as rather uncharacteristic of you. Typically, your posts contain robust statistical datasets to show a bigger point you're trying to make, or offer a thorough analytical thought process to accomplish the same and stimulate discussion; whereas here, you avoid what you call a "semantic debate" over very basic smash terminology that can be quite easily reconciled even if it is a bit "dry" or "dull." I'm sure you're a busy guy (and so am I), but I think we can do better than that.

Perhaps it's the future lawyer in me, but I think it's very important to clarify definitions of terms we use in our discussion, even moreso for basic terms, to make sure we're all on the same page and performing our "due diligence" to post in a thoughtful way that reflects the stated purpose of this entire thread.

Enough with the diatribe; here are the general definitions I use on all of the above terms based on empirical observation and experience:

- Edgeguard: When your opponent is off-stage, and you intercept them so you KO them into side blastzones, regardless of what resources your opponent may have had to recover back to ledge and return to stage to reset neutral.

-Gimp: This one might be a stretch (and it wasn't expressly brought up here); arguably, this is just a subcategory of an edgeguard, but I define this identical to the edgeguard definition above except that more often, the opponent has expended most, if not all, of their resources to get back to ledge, making them easier to intercept. I also find the usage of "gimp" to mean a KO not directly out to the side blastzone, but falling to their death to the bottom blastzone because they don't have the mobility or resources to attempt getting back to the stage's ledge.

-Ledgeguard: Aptly, intercepting your opponent from recovering to the ledge specifically rather than (more) preemptively intercepting your opponent off-stage before they even have the chance to drift back toward the ledge. Two-framing is a good example of this.

-Ledgetrap: Again rather apt, but your opponent has already made it to the ledge and is trying to get off it, giving you the opportunity to react to their get up option, go for a hard read on their get up option, or employ more tactful conditioning that your character has available to make punishing a particular option more likely.

In other words, the only meaningful difference in these definitions is the opponent's relative proximity to the ledge and/or center stage; an edgeguard in practice means the opponent is very likely going to be at a further distance from the ledge, ledgeguard indicates a much closer proximity to the ledge (either just about to use a DJ or up b to recover to ledge, or attempting to snap to the ledge after using those options), and ledgetrap, finally and obviously, meaning that the opponent is already on the ledge and attempting to get off it while you maintain stage control and opportunity to net the kill.

In light of the above, it's clear that much of what :ultminmin does to her opponents to kill them would be edgeguarding and ledgeguarding (via 2-framing or just as they approach ledge otherwise), although she's certainly no slouch when it comes to ledge trapping either; her ability to do this from center stage is unique and exceptional, but her ability to maintain that positioning where others cannot is irrelevant to defining these basic terms.

Re: Mekos :ultlucas:/Kola :ultroy: set

Just going to provide some quick thoughts on this: Many of us know that Lucas's disadvantage state is less than stellar, but I couldn't help but notice that Mekos tended to ledge jump a lot and if it wasn't that, it was a ledge drop DJ fair typically. Maybe it was just nerves, but he really should've mixed it up more, especially considering the caliber of player that Kola is (if Mekos mixed it up, Kola very well could've reacted to and/or read his option and kill him anyway, but mixing up options from ledge obviously and inherently makes your opponent's objective more difficult). Also, applying my proposed definitions of basic terms above, Roy got a lot off of ledgetraps (typical Roy stuff, really) and Lucas got relatively more edgeguards and ledgeguards, which I think many of us can agree aligns well with what we expect from the character.

I just figured I'd take the time to give my thoughts on this boring ol' "semantic debate," because while it's rather dry and trivial in the grand scheme of things, if we're not cogent with our definitions and understanding of what constitutes an "edgeguard," "ledgeguard," and "ledgetrap," how can we expect of ourselves -- let alone, expect from others -- to be cogent in applying those definitions and understanding of the terms in an accurate way (let alone more advanced concepts of the game)?! Preferring to not get into the nittier and grittier semantics (even if just occasionally; it obviously doesn't need to take up the lionshare of discussion) of these things is, I would reckon, a substantial factor in why the smash community is so shallow and misinformed about discussions of numerous aspects of the game, and I know for myself and many others that that is a phenomenon we are getting more than just a bit frustrated with contending against at this point.
I agree with most of this but want to add, gimping means to kill your opponent at a lower % range than they usually would die from through edge guarding.

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
(Firstly, I just want to say it isn't my intention to antagonize our hard-working Thinkaman. I, and I believe we, value him greatly for just being himself, and also for the cool factoids and occasional humor he adds to this thread. And if it's true that life or grammar nazis have him off his game this week, I hope he can platform-camp it out.)

The problem here is that a lot of smash terms are used interchangeably and often incorrectly on a regular basis.
I think this is less true in this thread than elsewhere, as we'll tend to autocorrect.

"Edgeguarding"- Attempting to stop the opponent from being back on stage with all their options available again once they are hit off.
I think that made fine sense in the earlier games when edgehogging meant you either get your feet on the stage or die trying. There wasn't this in-between state of being on the ledge but sweating how to get onstage happening all the time, and a lot less ledgetrapping because why trap someone at the ledge when you can just hang on the ledge yourself and watch them slide off to their doom?
Nowadays I can point to characters I don't even play that have trouble getting from ledge to stage -- :ultdk: :ultrosalina: :ultrob: -- but who's ability to get from outer space to ledge varies widely between the three of them. It's a useful distinction to make, especially if your main is much better at applying one kind of pressure than the other.

But I feel pretty strongly that any definition that allows one to say, idk, "Little Mac's edgeguarding is better than Pit's", is a fair candidate for the "used interchangeably and incorrectly" bucket. I have never heard anyone until now use the term edgeguard for keeping your feet on the stage the whole time. I DO remember this thread drawing the distinctions between edgeguarding and ledgeguarding way back when, because the distinction is super-useful for matchup discussion.

As a complete aside, the term gimp should probably go the way of sex-kick, retired, for pretty much the exact same reason.

Formulaic ending you saw coming a mile away: I ❤ Thinkaman.

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion

Some interesting points made in that video. Tweek is very optimistic about Sephiroth, claiming that Sephiroth could be a top 10 character. Charles and Pink Fresh are a bit more doubtful and think top 15-20. Based on what I've seen, I'm inclined to agree. Sephiroth seems to have quite a bit of potential and we're already seeing players doing well with him. However, Sephiroth is challenging to play, especially when it comes to matchup knowledge, he'll often have to mix up his playstyle quite a bit depending on the matchup. Still, his tools are great, his attributes are fine, and One Wing is super strong. Without One Wing he'd have no chance of being top tier, but One Wing, wow... It's probably comparable to Arsene.

Sephiroth, however, is hurt quite a bit by online lag. Properly spacing fair and bair is significantly harder in a laggy environment, and lag tends to benefit mashers, and heavier characters. Sephiroth is very much not a masher, and he's very lightweight. Due to the general lack of offline, it's a bit harder to evaluate Sephiroth, but based on what many top level players (some of which who have played some offline) are saying, and based on Sephiroth already doing quite well in Japan, and many top players being interested in picking him up. I'm optimistic. Top 10? Perhaps. Minimum top 15? Quite likely.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Sephiroth, however, is hurt quite a bit by online lag. Properly spacing fair and bair is significantly harder in a laggy environment, and lag tends to benefit mashers, and heavier characters.
I tend to normally be pretty skeptical of "online specifically hurts character X" but man I am totally with you on Sephiroth. I can't think of any characters whose bread-n-butter neutral moves are as negatively affected by lag as much as Sephiroth fair/bair.

I can relate. Personally, I think it's a few factors:
  • The most unavoidable fact is, I flat out don't play the game as much as I get older. I played Smash 4 less than a third as much as Brawl, and Ultimate less than a third as much as Smash 4. Boring adulthood just slowly creeps in more each year.
  • That adulthood thing sort of spirals. It's harder and harder to find people my age to play with, and I'm past the point where there's more than a decade between me and most of these college kids. Going out of my way to play a video game with kids yelling memes I don't know feels weirder every time.
  • And then there's the whole literally-getting-older thing, the slight but inevitable decline of reaction time. You spend your life up until that point playing the game and getting better, only to now have your body be getting worse.
  • "I know, I'll play online!" Except now on top of your decline in your reaction time, you add online latency. So you are even farther away from where you used to be, playing in conditions that are frustrating independent of you performing worse.
Me and my wife both experience this love-hate relationship with the game, the fact that playing it is a constant reminder that we will never be as good as we used to be. It can feel daunting to boot up the game, like I've got some sort of bizzare responsibility to go find kids half my age and play 1000 hours--all so I can be half as good as I used to and not feel bad for missing executions.

Honestly? Deep down I have a childish anger that this game is out now, when I'm "too old to enjoy it." I actually had a dream two nights ago, that I was back in high school but snowed in with a friend, and we played Smashdown all night. I've never played Smashdown ever, except once with CPUs to just to see. It was the nicest dream I've had in quite some time.

Wow, this is turning into a downer. My general advice to people is, "don't play online." In a pandemic, ehhhh. I've relied on online to test out the last 3 DLC, and actually enjoyed it as long as I went into it with the attitude that this was better than nothing, some kind of "sneak peak." I had some fun little exploratory games with MrGameguycolor MrGameguycolor and TTTTTsd TTTTTsd , and they were great--you could tell both sides were playing worse than they would offline, but as long as you're not thinking of it as practice and trying to change your habits, it's fine.

As for the pros who can jump back and forth between offline and online seamlessly, I have absolutely no idea how they do it and suspect witchcraft.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
I tend to normally be pretty skeptical of "online specifically hurts character X" but man I am totally with you on Sephiroth. I can't think of any characters whose bread-n-butter neutral moves are as negatively affected by lag as much as Sephiroth fair/bair.

• The most unavoidable fact is, I flat out don't play the game as much as I get older. I played Smash 4 less than a third as much as Brawl, and Ultimate less than a third as much as Smash 4. Boring adulthood just slowly creeps in more each year.
  • That adulthood thing sort of spirals. It's harder and harder to find people my age to play with, and I'm past the point where there's more than a decade between me and most of these college kids. Going out of my way to play a video game with kids yelling memes I don't know feels weirder every time.
  • And then there's the whole literally-getting-older thing, the slight but inevitable decline of reaction time. You spend your life up until that point playing the game and getting better, only to now have your body be getting worse.
  • "I know, I'll play online!" Except now on top of your decline in your reaction time, you add online latency. So you are even farther away from where you used to be, playing in conditions that are frustrating independent of you performing worse.
Me and my wife both experience this love-hate relationship with the game, the fact that playing it is a constant reminder that we will never be as good as we used to be. It can feel daunting to boot up the game, like I've got some sort of bizzare responsibility to go find kids half my age and play 1000 hours--all so I can be half as good as I used to and not feel bad for missing executions.

Honestly? Deep down I have a childish anger that this game is out now, when I'm "too old to enjoy it." I actually had a dream two nights ago, that I was back in high school but snowed in with a friend, and we played Smashdown all night. I've never played Smashdown ever, except once with CPUs to just to see. It was the nicest dream I've had in quite some time.

Wow, this is turning into a downer. My general advice to people is, "don't play online." In a pandemic, ehhhh. I've relied on online to test out the last 3 DLC, and actually enjoyed it as long as I went into it with the attitude that this was better than nothing, some kind of "sneak peak." I had some fun little exploratory games with MrGameguycolor MrGameguycolor and TTTTTsd TTTTTsd , and they were great--you could tell both sides were playing worse than they would offline, but as long as you're not thinking of it as practice and trying to change your habits, it's fine.
This is genuinely the first time in my life I’ve had this experience, but man, I am in this post, and I don’t like it.

As for the pros who can jump back and forth between offline and online seamlessly, I have absolutely no idea how they do it and suspect witchcraft.
Relevant: Did you know that you can drink if you were born on today’s date in the year 2000?

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord

The times I tried out online, made worse by the fact that I was unable to use LAN, it felt like I was brand-new to the game entirely. Gone was my fast movement and ease of reaction. It felt absolutely horrible. I later thought about how it's a hobby of mine to try and improve at the game, mainly just so I could roflstomp my friends even harder (though I might look into locals someday). I thought about how the lag of online would make the timing of so many things different, and how certain things work way better online than offline, and vice versa. The old saying went that playing against CPUs caused bad habits, but I felt like playing online when trying to prepare for offline would cause even worse ones.

My hunch about that was right. You're far from the first person to state that you got significantly worse offline after using online as your practice method. So, to answer your question, very much yes. I've seen a lot of people say that online ruined them offline.

I started with level 7s and fought them until I thought I was consistently good enough at it to try level 8s. Then did the same with level 9s. The results have been that I dominated nearly every game against my friends. It is lamentable that I haven't been able to play against them for a year now. I was so much worse a year ago and can only imagine what things would be like now. When it comes to practice, I do notice plateaus. I'll go a month or so where it doesn't feel like I'm improving. But then, I'll notice massive improvements in my play. I understand why CPUs aren't the best method of practice, but I've come to the conclusion that they are far better than online if one wants to git gud at offline.

Edit: Visual learning is also very helpful at getting better. I recommend watching VODs of your character(s) to see how the top players play them. There's plenty of offline footage from before lockdown, too!

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
Relevant: Did you know that you can drink if you were born on today’s date in the year 2000?
this suddenly makes me feel old and I'm not even among the oldest here (although not among the youngest here either)

Firox

Smash Master
Not a bad explanation, but I'm not sure if I would be so specific as to say that "edgeguarding" has to KO opponents into the SIDE blastzones. I would count meteor smashes and aerial spikes to be a form of edgeguard. Basically, anything that hits an opponent off-stage so as to intercept their recovery would count as an edgeguard.

DougEfresh

Smash Journeyman
While I'm not the oldest among folks in here, I recently turned 28 and now being so close to my 30s does make me feel that sense of "getting older." That said, Thinkaman's post above ironically makes me grateful that Ultimate is the first smash game I've played more seriously and even though my age makes the generally "mashy" nature of the game (especially online) quite frustrating at times, I've still found a way to improve significantly in the 2 years of Ultimate's lifespan so far and I'm fortunate to not have to compare my player skill now to a formerly young and better version of myself at the game.

The severe lack of inspired 1-player modes to enjoy influenced me to learn the game more deeply on a competitive level, and although I have yet to attend any tournaments, I hope to do so once covid is over and I think my being "old" in a smash context gives me more patience and perspective to do rather well in that environment one day. The only thing that sucks about playing a children's video game competitively at such an unchildish age is that my window to make a meaningful "splash" in the competitive scene is long gone, which is unfortunate because a younger version of myself would love to show what :ultlucario: can do in Ultimate.

Speaking of Ultimate Lucario though, I at least get to live somewhat vicariously through Armadillo, who's the best Lucario player in Canada and he's recently made a big splash in the scene lately with his placement of 4th at the Juicebox #24, beating Dabuz, Wadi (who I believe went :ultmewtwo: instead of :ultrob: in the tournament), MVD :ultsnake: and another big name or 2 that possibly escapes me at this moment. He went to game 3 against Ravenking's :ultike: (one of Lucario's worst MUs) and lost to Epic Gabriel's Rob 3-1 in Loser's Semis. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate any VODs of these notable sets to show y'all (if they've even been uploaded) and we'll have to see how Armadillo does on the big scene once offline returns, but he's a great player on the rise and he's only in his late teens (maybe early 20s) now and I'm excited to see what potential he'll show of the character in the future.

Not a bad explanation, but I'm not sure if I would be so specific as to say that "edgeguarding" has to KO opponents into the SIDE blastzones. I would count meteor smashes and aerial spikes to be a form of edgeguard. Basically, anything that hits an opponent off-stage so as to intercept their recovery would count as an edgeguard.
You make a good point here and frankly, you're right. I just notice in practice during commentary of tournament sets that a "meteor smash" or "aerial spike" is just called a spike (while absolutely true that it's still under the umbrella term edgeguard, it feels weird to call a spike as an edgeguard even if it's just a more specific form of it), and a kill outright to the side as an "edgeguard." That might seem overly nitpicky in hindsight, but it at least explains where I was coming from in defining the term that way.

Last edited:

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
Obligatory Dabuz Min-Min MU.
I think by-and-large we're all in agreement now that Min Min is strong, the conversation now focused on how strong.

I don't know how others feel, but when I'm fighting Min Min I feel the same stressors I felt while playing against :4cloud: - I need to execute on this advantage situation, because the minute I don't and it's back to neutral, I'm essentially losing again against a character who can blow me up if I guess incorrectly once.

Min Min snowballs hard. If you don't have great ways to snap ledge or recover vertically, that might be a handshake right there. It was mentioned in the above video with Tweek and co., but if you have Dragon arm on deck you can essentially cover all ledge options through charged Megawatt into Dragon to catch rolls.

I think the character will only get stronger too, since less input lag means stretch situations where Min Min has to guess on whether you're going to jump in on her go away and you can react to many more potential options. In addition, players will be better at adapting to common escape options and figure out how to space punishes on landing.

On :ultsephiroth:, OWA is IMO the strongest comeback mechanic introduced into Smash, bar none. The strength of the mechanic pushes Sephiroth closer to the top - the raw speed and threat increase means a lot of the strategies you can use prior to become far riskier, every poke with fair/bair/ftilt puts you in shield break range, getting counter-read might mean your stock, etc. And unlike other comeback mechanics:

• You can't camp it out, unlike Limit
  • Hitting/grabbing him doesn't take away from his ability to abuse it, unlike Arsene/Revenge
  • He will always get to use it, unlike GO!
  • Like Aura, killing him early means you have to play against Super Saiyan for longer
    • Unlike Aura, you are not Lucario
The 2nd point is important in particular just off of how much harder it is to hit Sephiroth in OWA, due to the speed increases and the third jump. Tweek has emphasized it before but I think it's important to stress again - Sephiroth's third jump is unlike any other in the game. You get great height on it and you have great airspeed while using it - the polar opposite of almost every other multi jumper in the game. It makes it hard to pin down and get finishing blows on Sephiroth, which gives him the opportunity to extend his lead.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I think by-and-large we're all in agreement now that Min Min is strong, the conversation now focused on how strong.

I don't know how others feel, but when I'm fighting Min Min I feel the same stressors I felt while playing against :4cloud: - I need to execute on this advantage situation, because the minute I don't and it's back to neutral, I'm essentially losing again against a character who can blow me up if I guess incorrectly once.

Min Min snowballs hard. If you don't have great ways to snap ledge or recover vertically, that might be a handshake right there. It was mentioned in the above video with Tweek and co., but if you have Dragon arm on deck you can essentially cover all ledge options through charged Megawatt into Dragon to catch rolls.

I think the character will only get stronger too, since less input lag means stretch situations where Min Min has to guess on whether you're going to jump in on her go away and you can react to many more potential options. In addition, players will be better at adapting to common escape options and figure out how to space punishes on landing.

On :ultsephiroth:, OWA is IMO the strongest comeback mechanic introduced into Smash, bar none. The strength of the mechanic pushes Sephiroth closer to the top - the raw speed and threat increase means a lot of the strategies you can use prior to become far riskier, every poke with fair/bair/ftilt puts you in shield break range, getting counter-read might mean your stock, etc. And unlike other comeback mechanics:

• You can't camp it out, unlike Limit
  • Hitting/grabbing him doesn't take away from his ability to abuse it, unlike Arsene/Revenge
  • He will always get to use it, unlike GO!
  • Like Aura, killing him early means you have to play against Super Saiyan for longer
    • Unlike Aura, you are not Lucario
The 2nd point is important in particular just off of how much harder it is to hit Sephiroth in OWA, due to the speed increases and the third jump. Tweek has emphasized it before but I think it's important to stress again - Sephiroth's third jump is unlike any other in the game. You get great height on it and you have great airspeed while using it - the polar opposite of almost every other multi jumper in the game. It makes it hard to pin down and get finishing blows on Sephiroth, which gives him the opportunity to extend his lead.
The thing that balances out :ultsephiroth:'s OWA is his extremely light weight paired with a large hurtbox. He's 79 unites, same as Kirby. His hurtbox is fatter than his animations suggest. OWA or not, his staying power is very low. He often dies at 80% and never likes past 120% for me.

Last edited:

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
I am further down this road, and one of the oldest people on this site.

At one point I decided to make a choice -- I could maintain my skills and even improve them well into my 30s and 40s, as Daigo has done. It would take sacrifices in my adult life but I could do it.

But if I had, what would I have to show for it now? "Did you guys know I had Master rank in SF4?" would be a sentence I could type. Not much else to show for it though. And compared to what I sacrificed, such as relationships and careers? I don't want to be single working at McDonald's in my mid-40s but you should see my sick combos.

When I decided that, the love-hate vanished and I never again felt guilty or obligated about keeping up esports skills.

I still talk to a lot of shoryuken.com refugees at Megashock.net, and we'll occasionally have little 8-man tournaments in a game like 3s that we're all passably familiar with but not great at. It's great fun. We'll compare notes about our real lives and our online lives in ranked. Some of us still scratch that competitive itch by being commentators or TOs or even just forum posters in CCI threads.

It's a great life and I have zero regrets.

Also when's Riot Fighter.

Top Bottom