• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
With this weekend, here is what I found to be the winners.

Biggest Winners
:ultluigi: Big victory for Luigi, as Elegant wins Standoff 2019 in rather dominant fashion, defeating DeluxeMenu, Ismon, yeti, and Goblin. And there is still people who think he is lower mid tier at best...
:ultluigi: is an interesting character.

For a while, people thought that the only reason Elegant was starting to do well with him again was due to things like matchup inexperience and people not knowing how to deal with things like Invincible Cyclone. However, the success :ultluigi: has been having has lasted for long enough for me to say that this character does have the tools to be a threat in the meta. Not a top tier (obviously) but he has his fair share of decent top tier matchups (:ultmario::ultfox::ultwolf:) and Elegant's success with Luigi against other top tiers has made me (and others I'm sure) wonder how bad some of his top tier matchups actually are as we've seen Elegant's success against other top tiers like :ultpikachu::ultpeach::ultroy::ultwario: as well in the last month or so.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
:ultsnake: Is an interesting case these days. The character is still obviously top-tier, likely top 3 at most. Yet despite all his amazing tools. His playstlye is just very..for lack of a better word. "Not Smash bros like". In that his most optimal playstyle does does not seem how most competetive players want to play Ultimate. (i.e Mr.R mostly dropping him for :ultchrom:). I mean he still shows up loads in tourament play. But now with Ally gone, he really lacks a "very top player" rep like MKLeo or Tweek etc

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
test running some ideas before I publish an article - RE, Hero and his legality.

It's difficult to converse about this this character, as I'm sure many have noticed by now, but I have progressively shifted into the viewpoint that a ban is unlikely at this point.

Results are especially hard to discuss in the context of a ban. When they're brought up, the immediate counter is that "We're not looking for another Bayonetta... we're banning based on principle," but this ignores the fact that high profile examples of degenerative gameplay are what cause changes to happen. This was certainly the case with items in a less demonstrable way since their banning took place in the mid-2000s, but comparing hero to items is difficult for reasons BSD covered in their video - he's not random in the same way items are random. You still have to engage and enact his RNG in order for it to effect the game.

This makes it way more comparable to typical degenerative tactics like wobbling, extreme ledge camping, and so on, in that it has the capacity to be very powerful, very unfriendly to spectators & players, but will only be acted upon when some set of circumstances happens that allows a match to be lit over Hero's poor character design (in a competitive sense.)

Basically, if a character is invisible, people's incentive to care about an issue drops, and the subject becomes silent. Several players have attempted to keep this subject in the competitive spotlight, but vocal antagonism towards the character isn't enough. Leffen & Puppeh have fished for examples of how the character is hypothetically broken, but we're left with skill-disparity examples that can't really be submitted as evidence.

Puppeh using Thwack to kill at early % could be seen as an issue, but the concerns brought forth about how this could negatively effect the game are from a perspective that worse players could undeservedly steal games via RNG. Examples shared are simply top 30-75 players beating down people who, in an international context, are not even top 150.

The end result is preemptive requests to ban a character based on RNG before they can even define what "too much RNG" even is. Hero could be seen as an example of it, but there is no objective barrier, which is why he's often compared to lesser examples of RNG since those are the only places to refer too.

There is no objective line and without results to keep Hero visible, the pro-ban movement risks fatigue and eventual backlash if they can't show examples of their concerns occurring beyond theorycrafting. People will stop caring and eventually the ability to ban the character will phase out entirely. The counterargument is to say that results don't matter, but simply saying this repeatedly, ad nauseum, does not change how optics or social media work. You can't escape this, and the last month has been a grinder crunching down would-be Hero mains.

This can obviously change - but initial prospects aren't positive, and the character does not have the very consistent theory say, Joker does, to have sustained meta impact. Trela, Salem, Zackray, & more have seemingly failed with this character.

So, the first issue is no results = bad optics for the pro-ban movement, because clip quantity begin to wane, interest wanes, and necessity wanes. Nobody will care if Leffen & other prominent pro-ban players want the character banned if everybody else has moved on to talking about other facets of the metagame or other new characters that have taken over the "news cycle". In this respect, an oncoming Banjo release would probably annihilate any traction a pro-ban movement has, because the ability to spread clips of Hero's degenerative aspects is choked to death by other facets of the game.

This could change in the advent of Hero getting good results soon, but Leffen & others rightfully point out that not banning early will only make it unfair to people months down the line for grinding the character, putting another major constraint on the movement. These are all default issues without a lot of hypotheticals: Hero WILL fall out of the news cycle once Banjo is released. Interest in Hero WILL wane if he continues relative radio silence at even popular weeklies with lots of eyes, like MSM, let alone must-watch major events.

If you can see why I think this movement is doomed to fail already, here's the second - and even worse - issue. This character's status as controversial isn't ubiquitous. It's highly contested, and this means if bans were to go into effect, they would not necessarily be universal. This applies within countries, let alone internationally.

My example of why this ban is totally unworkable is Japan. The character does not seem to have generated the same heated discussion in Japan, itself a very relevant super-region. What if they refused to comply with a broad USA ban? This is assuming a USA ban would be universal (it wouldn't - see Wobbling in Melee.)

The logistics would be nightmarish if, let's say, Tsu mained Hero and was "locked" out of USA events. Because the PGR is USA-based, the end result is that the North American scene is dictating how the international scene is run, which would likely cause backlash from both Japan and Europe, the latter of which is already not happy at their treatment in an international context. I do not think Leffen or other pro-ban activists have even considered how bad this could turn out if Japan's players decided to boycott USA events, as they threatened to do in the event of a MK ban in the Brawl-era.

It would technically punish Japan for failing to comply with an NA ban by them being less prominent on the rankings, but with many top players not supporting a ban at all who have just as much (if not more reach) than the pro-ban collective, it seems like the ban would either fail to even be under the threat of severe scene divide, or it would quickly fizzle out to avoid scene conflicts.

This is just one scenario involving JPN and the USA. There are many combinations that are possible, international and within countries, all of which result in fragmenting and backlash. While my scenario was specific, it's one of about a thousand ways that a non-compliant region conflict would damage the scene as a whole. South Australia was allowed to get away with a ban (and thus far has been the only place do so) because it is not a very large scene. It is one of nine Oceanic regions and not typically considered AUS' best region, making it a very easy, painless testing ground.

The pro-ban movement thus has two issues:

1: It cannot sustain itself without optics, which are on a death timer as the Smash cycle threatens to overtake all discussion of Hero - Banjo discussion, and newcomer discussion are inevitable and will take up people's interest in the game, which is finite, leaving less time to be mad about Hero. It must find a way to avoid these issues.

2: It must figure out how to get everybody to agree to a ban, otherwise it's unlikely one is even sustainable due to the damage it could do through potential boycotts that could affect rankings & scene credibility. As things stand, it seems like the majority don't support a ban, going by a video-based VGBC poll. I've been running reddit polls, and while there is support for a ban, it's a scarce edge and only a plurality, meaning there is nothing even remotely close to the universal agreement needed to avoid serious conflict.

Even now, after Switchfest, Shulk has become the major talking point since it's the first signs of the character's top tier potential. This is what people are talking about now - not Hero. What chance does Hero's controversy have as a discussion topic when new characters hit the scene? He's invisible.

I respect the anti-Hero movement since I agree his design is atrocious, but I don't think they really have any realistic chance of achieving their goals at this point because the scene moves very fast and the same scene that has wildly varying stage lists has no real chance of universally agreeing to a principle-based character ban. They have respectable figures on board, some of which I've spoken to (Kurogane and Captain L come to mind,) but I don't think the goal is realistic, unless they can figure out an answer to the second issue I raised.

That's all I have left to say until I may or may not publish an article going more in depth with this.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'll make a passing remark that the Nintendo Direct tomorrow is strongly implied to have info on future updates (Banjo/version 5.0 "coming soon/later this month" ala the Joker/3.0 coming soon in the February direct, if not outright showing a trailer for character #4 for the Fighter Pass), and remind everyone that things should be discussed in the appropriate patch thread that we'll make once we are closer to/when we have a visible date for everything. Seems a bit soon after 4.0, in my opinion, but speculation for buffs/nerfs/etc. is par the course so long as everyone keeps in mind the usual rules. We can ban Joe after we see them, not before.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
test running some ideas before I publish an article - RE, Hero and his legality.

It's difficult to converse about this this character, as I'm sure many have noticed by now, but I have progressively shifted into the viewpoint that a ban is unlikely at this point.

Results are especially hard to discuss in the context of a ban. When they're brought up, the immediate counter is that "We're not looking for another Bayonetta... we're banning based on principle," but this ignores the fact that high profile examples of degenerative gameplay are what cause changes to happen. This was certainly the case with items in a less demonstrable way since their banning took place in the mid-2000s, but comparing hero to items is difficult for reasons BSD covered in their video - he's not random in the same way items are random. You still have to engage and enact his RNG in order for it to effect the game.
Solid pre-article here, nice job.

I really hate how the anti-RNG crowd has swarmed the game. RNG has always been a huge and fun part of competitive smash, between certain characters and the wide stage list.

Honestly I feel like the people complaining about Hero's early kills are the same people who would complain if heavies were more viable. I get the vibe that they care more about "my loss wasn't valid, the kill was too early!!" rather than how the RNG works.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I mean, for a ban to work almost universally, you probably need both the US and Japan scenes to agree. You might could get the US to agree, but good luck ever getting Japan to ban a DQ fighter.

I really hate how the anti-RNG crowd has swarmed the game. RNG has always been a huge and fun part of competitive smash, between certain characters and the wide stage list.

Honestly I feel like the people complaining about Hero's early kills are the same people who would complain if heavies were more viable. I get the vibe that they care more about "my loss wasn't valid, the kill was too early!!" rather than how the RNG works.
I'd hardly call RNG a huge part of competitive Smash. It's hardly as impactful for most of the, what, other fighters that even have it, and the community usually balks at any stage that isn't super basic.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend

This post is baseless accusations. If you were to say Hero's not meta relevant enough due to poor mobility and frame data to warrant a ban I'd agree with you. He probably loses to most top and even high tiers even with RNG. I'd also say his Frizz spell which has no RNG is more outrageous than his command menu overall. But don't go making claims that people who dislike RNG would complain about heavies, who have no RNG. Some people want their skill games to actually be about skill. Is that so unreasonable?

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Some people want their skill games to actually be about skill. Is that so unreasonable?
In a series where Randall the Cloud was a running meme for ages (and still is), I'd say yes.

This giant anti-rng movement is a very modern creation. I tend to disagree with it, personally. If you agree with it, that's fine too.

Rizen

Smash Legend
In a series where Randall the Cloud was a running meme for ages (and still is), I'd say yes.

This giant anti-rng movement is a very modern creation. I tend to disagree with it, personally. If you agree with it, that's fine too.
Competitive smash has limited RNG as much as possible from the beginning that's why we don't have items and most stages. It's nothing new.

Arthur97

Smash Master
The mere fact there was contention of that cloud shows people have been kind of anal about this for a while. I mean, the stage lists are usually pretty strict. If people didn't care about RNG, why is it not more flexible. For that matter, why not just use random? And yes, some of it is camping, but most stage hazzards are looked at extremely negatively.

I'm not a ban proponent, but I'd hardly say anti-RNG sentiments are new though they may have gotten worse (Once upon a time Delfino and Halberd were legal I think, even though the latter seems like a really bad choice). And I can see the logic behind the pro-ban people. It's just, not really worth the effort if the Heroes aren't causing trouble.

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
Randall isn't RNG either, its a timer IIRC.

That said it is effectively random until a player shows they have the in game fortitude to remember where it is at all times and then make plays based on that, which is unlikely because if you saw that many steps ahead just don't get hit, if you do get hit then assume randall is there if its your only choice.

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
Randall moves on a timer yes, I don’t know the frequency or duration but top Melee players easily keep track just by watching the in game timer. Since he moves on a set timer he’s going to appear during the same time durations. As long as you memorize those blocks you can easily tell if he’s there or not with a quick glance at the timer.

It’s not too much different than looking at the timer when Cloud gets limit so you know when his 15 seconds are up.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Competitive smash has limited RNG as much as possible from the beginning that's why we don't have items and most stages. It's nothing new.
"As much as possible" would mean banning Judge, Misfire and Turnips. We do have an invisible line where we find a certain degree of RNG acceptable, but the problem is that we don't all agree exactly where that invisible line is.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I did a video about this whole thing where I boiled the argument down to a sentence:

"Does Hero's RNG affect the outcome such that the better player doesn't usually win?"

I think it's that simple - anything else (too much RNG, etc.) is way too subjective to have a meaningful discussion.

To that end, thus far the answer is "no." Trela has given up on Hero, Salem has actually been losing to players that don't seem to be at his expected skill level, and Puppeh's attempts to show the char can cheese wins vs good players got snuffed out when he met with WaDi's Mewtwo pre-Switchfest.

This could all change in the future, but right now, his randomness isn't really changing the outcome of sets.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
> His attacks have tiny hitboxes, last for 1 frame, and they are laggy.
Belmont's only attacks that are active for 1f are JAb1 and Forward Aerial.

Please do research before making posts that make substantially broad claims about a character's viability. They are also not "laggy." They recover faster than a lot of attacks that hit at their range (a handful, at best, and that is me being generous. Their reach outshines basically everyone). His Bair and Fair have 2f more endlag than Marcina Fair (tied with Marcina Bair) and the same landing lag.

https://ultimateframedata.com/richter.php (For reference)

Also Up+B isn't bugged it just isn't a kill move, nor should it be? Its an invincible reversal on a character that has a kit like Belmont's, it is incredibly vital and if it actually killed it would be degen as hell.

The actual problems with the character lie in their vulnerability when they are hit, the precision required to pressure properly with them, and working around their thin, yet INCREDIBLY long hitboxes. But I would argue they fill a niche no other character does, whether they are considered exceptional or not, I don't consider them to be really terrible either. But as far as endlag is concerned they do not come to mind, in fact its quite the opposite, they don't really have a lot of it on their key moves. Slow startup, low recovery. Consider how Belmont Ftilt is an automatic grounded footsies win condition button in a lot of scenarios.

Last edited:

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
"As much as possible" would mean banning Judge, Misfire and Turnips. We do have an invisible line where we find a certain degree of RNG acceptable, but the problem is that we don't all agree exactly where that invisible line is.
IMO, the reason Hero's RNG is much more poorly balanced is for a lot of reasons:
  • Other RNG based moves have more risk involved while still having enough reward when they land. These moves are also either rare enough or risky enough that fishing to get these moves
    • Peach needs to react fast when she grabs a bob-bomb as it can explode as she holds it or the opponent can catch it when she throws it (with good timing). Mr. Saturn can be easily used by the opponent as well as Peach. Both items and Stitch Face are both incredibly rare though.
    • Luigi's Misfire has a 1 in 10 chance of happening. While it is a strong KO move, it is laggy, can lead to SD's, and can get Luigi stuck in the stage.
    • Mr. Game & Watch's side-b is incredibly laggy when it misses and landing a 1, 2, 3, or 5 will often lead to G&W getting punished due to 1, 2, and 3, having a lot of lag/little hitstun, and due to 5 not always landing all of it's hits consistently.
    • Villager/Isabelle's d-air really only affects it's attack power.
  • Hero's moves (mostly) are only really good or really bad with very little trade off (except losing MP which can be regained easily).
  • Hero can infinitely refresh his menu.
  • He has multiple moves that can kill at 0% that can be obtained using RNG.
  • He has magic burst.
  • He has snooze.
  • He has some moves that are completely useless...
And the list goes on.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
IMO, the reason Hero's RNG is much more poorly balanced is for a lot of reasons:
  • Other RNG based moves have more risk involved while still having enough reward when they land. These moves are also either rare enough or risky enough that fishing to get these moves
    • Peach needs to react fast when she grabs a bob-bomb as it can explode as she holds it or the opponent can catch it when she throws it (with good timing). Mr. Saturn can be easily used by the opponent as well as Peach. Both items and Stitch Face are both incredibly rare though.
    • Luigi's Misfire has a 1 in 10 chance of happening. While it is a strong KO move, it is laggy, can lead to SD's, and can get Luigi stuck in the stage.
    • Mr. Game & Watch's side-b is incredibly laggy when it misses and landing a 1, 2, 3, or 5 will often lead to G&W getting punished due to 1, 2, and 3, having a lot of lag/little hitstun, and due to 5 not always landing all of it's hits consistently.
  • Hero's moves (mostly) are only really good or really bad with very little trade off (except losing MP which can be regained easily).
  • He has magic burst.
  • He has snooze.
And the list goes on.
I never said that Hero's RNG wasn't more problematic then the other examples.

I'm just saying that we have allowed some level of RNG in the past, which adds complexity to the issue. He's in a gray area between Peach's Turnips and totally random items and there isn't a clear precedent for that yet.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Belmont's only attacks that are active for 1f are JAb1 and Forward Aerial.

Please do research before making posts that make substantially broad claims about a character's viability. They are also not "laggy." They recover faster than a lot of attacks that hit at their range (a handful, at best, and that is me being generous. Their reach outshines basically everyone). His Bair and Fair have 2f more endlag than Marcina Fair (tied with Marcina Bair) and the same landing lag.

https://ultimateframedata.com/richter.php (For reference)

Also Up+B isn't bugged it just isn't a kill move, nor should it be? Its an invincible reversal on a character that has a kit like Belmont's, it is incredibly vital and if it actually killed it would be degen as hell.

The actual problems with the character lie in their vulnerability when they are hit, the precision required to pressure properly with them, and working around their thin, yet INCREDIBLY long hitboxes. But I would argue they fill a niche no other character does, whether they are considered exceptional or not, I don't consider them to be really terrible either. But as far as endlag is concerned they do not come to mind, in fact its quite the opposite, they don't really have a lot of it on their key moves. Slow startup, low recovery. Consider how Belmont Ftilt is an automatic grounded footsies win condition button in a lot of scenarios.
14 frames of startup is laggy and pretty bad for an attack that doesn't cover a wide area like Shulk's. Even the best Belmont players constantly miss punishes and hits in neutral because Fair and Bair can't hit for ****.

Then why does Up B has red sparks and finisher animation programmed if it doesn't kill on the ground? It makes no sense. Even with a "degenerate Up B" and "unique niches" the Rat or Joker MUs will not be good, and he would still get wrecked by all the meta characters. Belmonts are a bag of potatoes, not a character. I know this from years of research.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
14 frames of startup is laggy and pretty bad for an attack that doesn't cover a wide area like Shulk's. Even the best Belmont players constantly miss punishes and hits in neutral because Fair and Bair can't hit for ****.

Then why does Up B has red sparks and finisher animation programmed if it doesn't kill on the ground? It makes no sense. Even with a "degenerate Up B" and "unique niches" the Rat or Joker MUs will not be good, and he would still get wrecked by all the meta characters. Belmonts are a bag of potatoes, not a character. I know this from years of research.
Ultimate release date: December 7th, 2018. Current date: September 3rd, 2019.

Not even a year.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Delfino and Halbert don’t have RNG they transform on a timer and have set layouts. Unless you are referring to the crane and bomb on the ship itself. Those stages were tested for legality more so out of need for legal stages in the past.

Also this is relevant.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iSgA_nK_w3A
The combo canon being on a legal stage was just bizarre. And doesn't Delfino have different routes?

Either way, a few exceptions notwithstanding, the competetive community sticks with the most basic and boring stages to keep it about skill. I can see wanting to apply the same argument to a fighter.

blackghost

Smash Champion
  • He has magic burst.
  • He has snooze.
And the list goes on.
yeah no. peach cannot be hit with her own bomb in ultimate. plus the bomb was buffed in other ways. It spikes and if she z drops it can even walk and cover ledge options.

multiple moves of hero that kill at 0? what are those?
yes he can infinitely search the menu. while standing still and he's locked into menu for at least 19 frames.
every spell of hero's fires in the same trajectory. with our existing stage list, there is almost always a platform to go to.
what do you mean by little trade off? hero running out of MP is almost as bad a character as solo ice climber. no recovery no defensive options, no offense and nothing to do but try and shield the pressure that's coming. And hero runs out of MP frequently for simply playing the game. Trela ran out of MP and died twice on stream last weekend.
snooze does nothing to an air opponent easy to mash out of.

what do you mean for villager turnip down aerial at three spikes which is often a kill and a two or one often results in an opponent living longer. its literally rng between an early kill and having to play villagers slower-paced game to resecure a stock.

hero has plenty of risk to his moves so much so that the character has yet to make any reasonable progress even in top players hands. people were determined to show hes broken or toxic havent been able to despite deliberately setting out to.

honestly i find his playstle both bad and funny he's trying to play an rpg in a fighting game which requires immense patience, luck, and using the right tool. but the difference is in smash a turn-based character isn't going to work. there's a reason you often dont play turn-based games in pvp.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
OrionStats got updated: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AJs-mj5TTdkmkl7nhj4twJymVPTLTUdT0MBToL1cxDs/htmlview

Barely anything has changed from the previous rankings.
The only thing that surprised me about the updated rankings is that some of the biggest winners of the weekend didn't really get much of a change.
I thought Mewtwo would have at least picked up a few points. He placed 1st in a 70+ tournament according to tournament results thread. Isn't that worth anything? I don't really know.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
I thought Mewtwo would have at least picked up a few points. He placed 1st in a 70+ tournament according to tournament results thread. Isn't that worth anything? I don't really know.
Mewtwo's lack of points on the Orion Stats has been rather weird.

I know that the Switchfest Kickoff doesn't count towards the stats (even though it is more stacked than pretty much all the category 1 tournaments lol), but considering that Mewtwo's rep increased since the buffs, I find it hard to believe that the stats didn't pick a up a single Mewtwo result considering that Corrin got at least something.

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
I think the reasons for that is:

1. There is quite a big gap between the characters ranked #19~1 and the characters ranked #22 onward; this was a great time for characters like :ultpacman:, :ultshulk:, and :ultluigi:, but they still have a while to go before they can contest with the big boys; not only that, but they still have to keep fighting with the characters in the same league as them like :ultfalcon:, :ultbowser:, :ultsonic:, :ultduckhunt:, :ultcloud:, and :ultgnw: (the latter almost would've fallen out of top 30 if not for Extra's victory at CouchWarriors).

2. Outside of the characters mentioned, the same top 15 characters ranked on the PGRU were still kind of the majority for these recent tournaments. :ultmario:, :ultsnake:, :ultinkling:, and :ultyoshi: were once again hovering around in the top 32 range for both tournaments, :ultrob:, :ultzss:, :ultfox:, :ultolimar:, and ESPECIALLY :ultmegaman: and :ultwario: continued to have top tier rep thanks to WaDi, Marss, Light, Kameme, Gluttony, and shuton (bonus points to MuteAce and Goblin for keeping up :ultpeach:'s and :ultroy:'s points), and on top of this, the characters mentioned above just lack a ton of strong representatives; it further strengths how hard the uphill battle is for these less common characters, especially when the top of the food chain is still keeping an iron grip on their positions.

Elegant is definitely in a league of his own, but there's only so much he can do on his own to carry Luigi, especially compared to characters like :ultsnake:, who despite not making any noteworthy strides at the moment, has representatives (Welfare Pickles, Pelca, AC, Ki, probably a ton more I'm missing) up the wazoo to keep his butt in the Top 5, lest players like MVD falter.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
You just compared linear, far-reaching attacks with Shulk's Fair which is an arcing hit. Shulk's Bair would be closer where in the Belmonts' case, they trade hitbox width for hitbox length compared to Shulk's Bair or any linear attack. Shulk's Bair in return trades speed with its 19 frames of startup.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
One tournament where Ven competes and Zelda raises multiple spots. Myst's 3rd place at Midwest Battlefield (or w/e that tournament was calle) helped as well. Too bad she hadn't a representative at Shine but yeah.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent

Lag is the endlag of a move. Not the startup. Slow startup doesn't make a move "laggy", it makes it slow startup. Also yes, having a unique niche doesn't make those matchups good? I never said it did, I'm not sure what your point is. My point is that if you are playing the character and aiming to optimize them, what they will provide you is in essence pretty unique to them, which is a good quality to have! Particularly when it is the range and control over the ground space that they have, which is something a lot of characters don't have (I genuinely think if you don't think their Ftilt is a good move you are bad at this game, full stop).

You want a laggy move? Thats their smash attacks. Also the finisher animation isn't "programmed in", its the game saying "This might kill if you don't DI it properly." "Why does Mario's Back Air trigger cinematic zoom in near the ledge at higher %s but people live anyway?" is the crux of what you are saying. This phenomenon literally occurred all the time in Smash 4 and it occurs a lot here because the game does not factor in Directional Influence with regards to when the sparks show up. They are more of an indicator than they are an actual fact. Its really stupid obfuscation, I agree, but it has nothing to do with how a move is programmed.

You have now spent two posts in some essence being wrong about a character. You can have your opinion on them, I respect it, but its also informed from a lot of wrong or misguided perspectives, and I will leave at it that.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I always figured endlag was it's own term while "laggy" could refer to either start up or endlag. That's how the term is often used. Heck I've seen the term "start up lag" being used before.

I know dictionary defintions don't always apply to Smash terminology but
lag1
/laɡ/
verb
  1. 1.
    fall behind in movement, progress, or development; not keep pace with another or others.
There's no getting around it - the Belmont's attacks are slow. There's no getting around that. They're heavily specialized for zoning and their frame data will fail to keep pace in close quarters scuffles.

It doesn't mean they can't be viable. I'm don't know enough about them to say if they are or aren't, but their weaknesses are definitely there.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Lag is the endlag of a move. Not the startup. Slow startup doesn't make a move "laggy", it makes it slow startup. Also yes, having a unique niche doesn't make those matchups good? I never said it did, I'm not sure what your point is. My point is that if you are playing the character and aiming to optimize them, what they will provide you is in essence pretty unique to them, which is a good quality to have! Particularly when it is the range and control over the ground space that they have, which is something a lot of characters don't have (I genuinely think if you don't think their Ftilt is a good move you are bad at this game, full stop).

You want a laggy move? Thats their smash attacks. Also the finisher animation isn't "programmed in", its the game saying "This might kill if you don't DI it properly." "Why does Mario's Back Air trigger cinematic zoom in near the ledge at higher %s but people live anyway?" is the crux of what you are saying. This phenomenon literally occurred all the time in Smash 4 and it occurs a lot here because the game does not factor in Directional Influence with regards to when the sparks show up. They are more of an indicator than they are an actual fact. Its really stupid obfuscation, I agree, but it has nothing to do with how a move is programmed.

You have now spent two posts in some essence being wrong about a character. You can have your opinion on them, I respect it, but its also informed from a lot of wrong or misguided perspectives, and I will leave at it that.
Quotes from Riddles, who got 13th at majors twice with Richter yet dropped him:

"I don't see a future with them (people will learn the mu overtime)"

"They are incredibly stressful to play as in tournament"

"I believe theyre holding me back"

"Theyre not fun"

Beat me with "misguided perspectives," the character sucks, and I dropped him because he sucks.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Quotes from Riddles, who got 13th at majors twice with Richter yet dropped him:

"I don't see a future with them (people will learn the mu overtime)"

"They are incredibly stressful to play as in tournament"

"I believe theyre holding me back"

"Theyre not fun"

Beat me with "misguided perspectives," the character sucks, and I dropped him because he sucks.
It's a good thing I was quoting you and not him! He is also not literally the only person that played the character. This does not absolve you of being wrong about their active frames and how the game works with regards to kill spark effects. That is, in essence, all my post was. And an assertion that how they function and work is pretty unique which is why someone would play them!

But go off I guess. Its clear the point I was trying to make didn't really come across that way so w/e. For convenience I'll even quote myself:

"But I would argue they fill a niche no other character does, whether they are considered exceptional or not, I don't consider them to be really terrible either. "

I don't think the Belmonts will ever be meta, but I don't think spreading misinformation about how they function is a good way of discussing that. You can even think they're hot garbage! But its important to like, fact-check, that's it.

Their orionstats results and general trends don't paint the picture of a completely atrocious character to me, though. They don't paint an exceptional or even outstandingly good one, either. I think its really easy to get caught up in their strengths and their weaknesses because they're very extreme, and pretty volatile in that regard.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
I always figured endlag was it's own term while "laggy" could refer to either start up or endlag. That's how the term is often used. Heck I've seen the term "start up lag" being used before.

I know dictionary defintions don't always apply to Smash terminology
smash players have used the term endlag or lag as a substitute for "recovery frames."
the issue with lag is that it combines recovery frames and FAF (first active frame) into one term. it makes discussing frame data a pain. but the smash community doesnt want to use terms from the rest of the fgc. these terms were discussed before competitive smash was even a thing but smash never adopted the language.

but either way the belmonts are limited. to be a good character in ultimate you need to be flexible in your gameplan and have room in your kit to deal with a multitude of characters. the Belmonts act more like a player skill check than anything else.

-does my opponent know how to edge gaurd?
-will my opponent get up into a ledge trap AGAIN?
-will my opponent DI in so hard i get to combo dair into dair?

people dont want to play marth becuase he takes extreme precision and th belmonts suffer from the same issue due to their thin hitboxes.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
smash players have used the term endlag or lag as a substitute for "recovery frames."
the issue with lag is that it combines recovery frames and FAF (first active frame) into one term. it makes discussing frame data a pain. but the smash community doesnt want to use terms from the rest of the fgc. these terms were discussed before competitive smash was even a thing but smash never adopted the language.

but either way the belmonts are limited. to be a good character in ultimate you need to be flexible in your gameplan and have room in your kit to deal with a multitude of characters. the Belmonts act more like a player skill check than anything else.

-does my opponent know how to edge gaurd?
-will my opponent get up into a ledge trap AGAIN?
-will my opponent DI in so hard i get to combo dair into dair?

people dont want to play marth becuase he takes extreme precision and th belmonts suffer from the same issue due to their thin hitboxes.
I mostly agree with this assessment but also raise the notion that characters can perform well even without flexibility, assuming their core strengths can be relevantly pushed in the given scenarios.

Piranha Plant is a really good example, the buffs to certain moves helped (namely Dash attack's angle) but Plant's big strength is that it will ledge vortex you until you die. Brood, being an amazing player, optimized the hell out of this and places really well with the character because he utilizes the character's extreme strengths and rather than attempt to mitigate the flaws, he opted to optimize what the character is good at to allow the character to be played at a high level.

It is of course worth mentioning that things a character can be good at don't always squarely align with competitive Smash largely because Smash's ruleset is not static amongst the game itself (all of the options, toggles, stages), so sometimes you can't hyperoptimize a character and do well with them. Other times, you can.

I think a lot of ppl hyperfixate on tier lists and not on self-improvement, but that's a whole different tirade. Aim to optimize what you wanna optimize, I guess.

blackghost

Smash Champion
n.

I think a lot of ppl hyperfixate on tier lists and not on self-improvement, but that's a whole different tirade. Aim to optimize what you wanna optimize, I guess.
this is 1000 percent true. most of the smash playerbase aren't in a place skillwise where we can claim a character is holding us back. players like riddles or tweek in smash 4 when he played mii swordsman and bowser jr.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
:ultbanjokazooie: IS COMING OUT TODAY!!! (Please prepare for the patch notes)

TERRY FROM FATAL FURY CONFIRMED!!! (The leaks were true)

MORE DLC CHARACTERS AFTER CHALLENGER PACK CONFIRMED!!! (I kind of saw this coming :p)

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
:ultbanjokazooie: IS COMING OUT TODAY!!! (Please prepare for the patch notes)

TERRY FROM FATAL FURY CONFIRMED!!! (The leaks were true)

MORE DLC CHARACTERS AFTER CHALLENGER PACK CONFIRMED!!! (I kind of saw this coming :p)
Vergeben is still mostly correct after over a year of almost flawlessly leaking this game out bit by bit. A YEAR. That's crazy.

FruitLoop

Smash Apprentice
I have this weird feeling that Mii Gunner is going to rise up on the tier list because of the Sans alt because now people are going to actually unironically main Mii Gunner this time around for the memes which would ironically improve Gunner's tournament results if someone actually picked him/her up. It'd be hillarious if this were to be true in the future.

Top Bottom