• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
I think ZSS Flip jump can seem busted as an evasion tool for cjaracters that do not have enough mobility and reach to chase and punish her.
The Marss vs Elegant set Marss could flip-jump away from possible disavanta ge and Luigi combos and he could not do much about it. I heard :ultryu::ultken: say they hate fighting ZSS for likely the same reason.

Yeah the move was always ridiculous. Its just people now complain about that now that her death ladder combos are not a thing...so now this is her most notablr tool
I think it also has to do that a move like Flip-Jump is a lot better and important in Ultimate's system than in Smash 4. With airdodge/spotdoging weaker being able to escape disavantage and reset neutral seems to be more mportant in Ultimate than in 4

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Yup, just ledge trapping. Catches ledge jump and autocancels with partial charge - great way to end a stock at 80.

Fully charged, it's invincible from frame 2-10 and superarmor from 11-17 iirc, swing coming out on 11. So it's solid at ledge, where people may not have many opportunities to jump around.

But yeah, Kirby's aerial frame data could get buffed, and it would help so much for getting out of disadvantage. 5 jumps ain't that amazing when they make you bigger and keep you (with a slow fall speed) above your opponent with no aerial fast enough to contest them.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
If they made it so you lost momentum/weave from bouncing off of a shield, just like in that previous patch (but not to the entire move otherwise), it would be great - imo.

Dealing with FJ requires multi step thinking. The shoutos might genuinely lack the real immediate call outs for a flip jump in a faux combo position like Chrom and Roy can, but backing ZSS into a corner is still powerful. Forcing/"baiting" her to use it without overly committing does something, and if you can then further force her to jump (if she retained it) you've now secured a pretty vulnerable punching bag. Like, every Luigi or Shouto who spends a day or few in training mode practicing their massively rewarding and amazing combos could could maybe afford to learn to get the one attack in, and then not immediately attack again, crazy idea right? not giving yourself a major frame disadvantage they could otherwise maintain?

40~ frames of flip jump, plus your on hit frame advantage, and not minus you throwing out a 40 frame+ action that isn't going to hit = a punish, maybe.

This is referencing the same tournament that a massive committing move that should've been getting punished - Luigi's tornado - was being used almost freely and imperviously vs a large amount of top 5-10 in the world contention players.

Also it's a bit, uhh, dangerous, to go "this move does all of these things, that's not right".
But does it do all of these things at the same time? Unintentionally?
It would be a bit dishonest (at least in terms of what smashers tend to call dishonest) that you mess up timing/spacing and get grounded (although perhaps your character has other options/animations that trigger the bounce but won't get you grounded, there are quite a lot) and thus die, similarly to Chrom or Ike snipping you with their up-bs.
But you aren't killing people with flip jump when you get out of a combo/string situation with it.

People would get better at handling this move, even with their luigis, eventually. It'll however (as is) stay obnoxious and mostly unassailable to those characters online. Which sucks.
I think it's design strengths could be better spread out a bit more (returning strength to her tether/recovery otherwise). The fact that it's natural end lag went from 49 to 38 frames was HUUUUUGE, and silly, but if they reverted that without enhancing her tether zone her recovery would become significantly worse. The mashing necessary for grounding, grabs and other stuff is a silly design decision in my (and a lot of other peoples opinions I'm sure) too. I really don't tend to enjoy (nor tend to get vs players "good" at the mu) getting groundings from someone trying to punish the flip jump, but I enjoy (and don't feel its "dishonest") when I've forced a high recovery and/or baited a ledge get up option into securing it.

I recall arguing (and probably still feeling) in S4 that if zero suit's flip jump had the bouncing interaction removed completely, it would be a better and stupider move. This interaction is the fully intended (and mostly available to everyone) counter play to it, giving a reward at all at the same time is a bit eh, but I don't see a supreme design issue with things like that existing, ideally it does on every character in one way, shape or form.

Last edited:

Tycon

Smash Rookie
:ultpit::ultdarkpit: Side Special: Please fix. The problem with these moves are too many. I can write paragraphs on how terrible these moves are. Shoddy super armor, excessively clanking, wonky hurt box detection, a reflector which is so terrible it punishes you and rarely if ever hits the opponent, and finally these moves need a bit more power.
:ultpit::ultdarkpit: Up Tilt: This move should actually combo reliably. Its grounded range is extremely poor, yet trying to follow up may even get you punished.
:ultdarkpit: Silver Bow: Faces heavy competition from the Palutena Bow, which can do so much more most of the time. More power, speed, or less startup, or some combination of these to make it more viable in comparison to Pit’s Bow.
Side B is wonky but I think mobility is more pits problem atm. I wouldn't say Side B is particularly horrendous but like most of pits kit he doesn't really have bad moves. It's good for recovery mix up horizontal, as Yolo as most counters but it is a tad weak in terms of power for the risk investment and very very unsafe. Uptilt is pretty solid coverage though and trades well with most aerials the lack of horizontal hit box seems fair for the move it's not bad.

As far as Dark pits bow while you can't edge guard with it as well as normal pit, it trades better in neutral against other projectile users, does almost double the uncharged damage, moves faster and is much easier to control on tilted stages like yoshis island or castle siege.

I see down B is a bit too niche due to its frame data as a reflector as more of a problem, granted i'll give you that side B has it's share of short comings. Most of pits moves are solid though and have good uses, it's just his air speed is so slow and he relies on auto canceled aerials rather than fast falling because of end lag.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
Oh boy, buff and nerf talk.

- Nerf my least favorite character's most annoying move. That move is just stupid and degenerate and needs to be deleted from the game.

- Fix my main's everything. Oh, and give them a few buffs while we're at it.
I don't really want Nayru to get buffed :<.
Although I'd be "fun" to be even spammier.

Looks like Hero's top-tier , at least on paper. Looks like a way better Shulk.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
I just saw the Hero Direct. The spells this character has actually looks borderline busted. (Can't wait to see how well this observation ages. lol)

Well he and 4.0.0 is coming out today, so we will have to wait and see.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord

- Hero's command menu is random. You can cancel it out to try shuffling which spells show up, but it seems like this particular ability is going to be extremely situational and RNG dependent. Hero mains are going to want to really learn whether or not his set of skills can be approximated based on an opponent's options.
- His F-Tilt blocks projectiles.
- Hero's Smashes have a Critical Hit random chance.
- All of Hero's standard specials can be charged but only Frizz (neutral B) can store a charge.
- MP is a finite resource that slowly recovers automatically, but you can speed it up by damaging the opponent.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Oh boy..from the presentstion..the Hero is looking..wow

His B, Side-B and Up-B are all just one move, that can be charged inti stronger versions like Robin's Thunder.

MP meter passivly charges over time, and will increase quicker when hitting opponents

Its his Down-B that brings up the spell menus. And boy does he yave a lot of em. You get dfferent menu everyime you press the special

Also hus smash attacks can randomly "critical hit" to do tons more damage, and one of his down-b specais Twack has asmall chance to insantly kill you outright , chance increases if oppoents has higher damage

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
Critical hits seem broken until you realize that you probably aren't gonna be using too many smash attacks out of a punish situation anyways.
Random spells remind me more of turnips really, players aren't gonna be able to rely on them so they won't be broken in this way.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Looks like Hero's top-tier , at least on paper. Looks like a way better Shulk.
He looks more like a combination of Robin and Shulk....on crack. There is going to be so much salt with Smash critical hits and insta-death Thwack skills.

Also anyone nd it hillarious thar one of his down-b skills Metal Slash seems there just to counter his own Kaclang skill

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Critical hits seem broken until you realize that you probably aren't gonna be using too many smash attacks out of a punish situation anyways.
Random spells remind me more of turnips really, players aren't gonna be able to rely on them so they won't be broken in this way.
Command menu reminds me more of Game & Watch's Judgement rather than Turnips. Peach's RNG doesn't preclude her reliance on them as edgeguarding tools. Command Menu on the other hand, is a commitment.

I think all of his smash attacks have the Critical Hit chance. Later in the video, he got a critical hit when using his up smash.
Yeah I noticed after the fact, thanks for the heads up

Last edited:

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
He looks more like a combination of Robin and Shulk....on crack. There is going to be so much salt with Smash critical hits and insta-death Thwack skills
Yeah, and he charges extremely fast. His sideB, the Thunder thing, was charged to the 2nd stage super fast. Will be preobably a really good zoning tool given the high vertical range it also has.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I'm really not sure how to feel about the RNG in Hero. Random crits, random spells, several of those spells have random effects...it's like Peach meets Luigi meets G&W.

Was I the only one spamming the check for updates button throughout the video on the off chance they ended it with "BTW you can get him now"?

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
But the stuff is random, which means every would-be competitive player is going to hate him regardless of whether he's good or not.
kinda random but also not really. im sure someone will do the math to find out the chance of each special showing up. hero players are gonna have to know many different applications for a variety of specials. its like the inverse of pacman hydrant.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Also I think its hillarious that one of his skills "Metal Slash" seems to exist soley to counter his own Kaclang spell.... Umm what?

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
kinda random but also not really. im sure someone will do the math to find out the chance of each special showing up. hero players are gonna have to know many different applications for a variety of specials. its like the inverse of pacman hydrant.
Assuming there's no special code in place to muck with the probabilities (which is admittedly a fairly big assumption, I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to have something in place to encourage variety) it should simply be a (4 / # of spells) chance for any given spell to appear in the menu.

Untouch

Smash Master
To me, the random spells seem more like a "i have an opening, lets see what spells I get randomly to see if I could use any of them" thing.
I think it'll be interesting to play around.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Actullay ome thing I am really interested in
The Hero can heal himself with one of his down-b spells Depending on how effective it is or how much MP it takes it can be one of the most effective anti-camping techniques available

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Also I think its hillarious that one of his skills "Metal Slash" seems to exist soley to counter his own Kaclang spell.... Umm what?
Metal is a pretty long-running series status that can be currently applied by Metal Box, the pool on Kalos, the Metal Special Smash mode option. There might be a few other tertiary ones too.

Assuming there's no special code in place to muck with the probabilities (which is admittedly a fairly big assumption, I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to have something in place to encourage variety) it should simply be a (4 / # of spells) chance for any given spell to appear in the menu.
Yeah most RNG calculations in pretty much all games are pesudo-psuedo-random at best, for multiple reasons. For example, I wouldn't be surprised if you never get the same spell in consecutive lists. It might even behave like DH Gunmen, in a shuffled queue.

Edit: As far as I can tell, in the video Hero never once gets the same spell listed twice in a row. (But does once get a repeat from the first menu on the third) Assuming this is the case, that gives access to about half of Hero's down-b options in two command menus.

Last edited:

B_Burg

Smash Cadet
They haven't shown him using any attacks while bounce was active, but should I assume he can?

Matchup is gonna be an absolute nightmare for Mega Man if so.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
They haven't shown him using any attacks while bounce was active, but should I assume he can?

Matchup is gonna be an absolute nightmare for Mega Man if so.
It is going to be kind of luck when he gets it or not. I am not sure if it is just me, but it also looked like Hero's movement speed went down during Bounce mode.

Untouch

Smash Master
hero.png

When the spells were cancelled in the trailer, all 4 spells were different each time, so there may be something like that here too.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'll bet Hero will have poor frame data to balance out his spells. They look like adaptation based characters where you have to make the most of what you get. That and resource management. It takes MP just to recover. Throwing Hero off stage repeatedly might be a good strategy to burn their MP.

I never played DQ so it'll be a pain to learn all the spell names. There's kerfuffle, bazoinga, splat...

Last edited:

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
Down-B being as slow as it is renders a lot of the moves useless in a competitive setting-Heal/Zoom/Bounce/Buffs seem to be the immediately useful ones to me, with Snooze, Kamikaze, Thwack being more situational/meme options (can you shield them??). The Freeze Slash can potentially set up a lot if you get it but like everything else in Hero's kit, not very reliable.

There seems to be a lot of "Go for broke" in Hero's kit, it's not a recipe for tournament success but it should be an exciting character to see in tournament

Last edited:

B_Burg

Smash Cadet
It is going to be kind of luck when he gets it or not. I am not sure if it is just me, but it also looked like Hero's movement speed went down during Bounce mode.
Yes, but if someone gets it two or three times in a row, Mega is basically locked out to three moves and his grab. Based on how long it seemed to last in the video, that wouldn't work.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Do you know the best thing about Hero's inclusion into Smash that no one is talking about?

THE DR. WILY SPIRIT FIGHT IS FINALLY DOABLE WITHOUT SPIRITS! YES!!!

How many downB options are there?
17 spells (note that spell costs may be different at the final build).

1. Oomph: makes you next move do more damage. One use only, but doesn't wear off if whiffed. Costs 16 MP.
2. Psyche Up: makes you next move do more knockback. One use only, but doesn't wear off if whiffed. Costs 14 MP.
3. Bounce: reflects projectiles when active. Costs 14 MP.
4. Heal: heals your health. By how much is currently unknown. Costs 7 MP.
5. Flame Slash: a very fast slash that covers a wide reach and does around 22%. Deals flame damage. Costs 12 MP.
6. Kacrackle Slash: a very fast slash that covers a wide reach and does around 13%. Freezes opponents. Costs 11 MP.
7. Accelerate: greatly boosts Hero's movement across the board. Costs 13 MP.
8. Kaboom: fires a small, but fast orb that then stops, sucks opponents in, and causes a big explosion. Deals 28%, and it seems to have KO power. Costs 37 MP.
9. Snooze: fires an intangible projectile that puts opponents asleep. It seems to work an air opponents as well. Costs 16 MP.
10. Hatchet Man: a move with high startup and low range, but deals 35% and a high amount of knockback. Costs 15 MP.
11. Thwack: a move that is hard to land and does a mealy 3.6%, but has the chance to instantly KO an opponent. The higher the percents, the more chance for this to happen. Costs 30 MP.
12. Zoom: the opponent flies very high upwards and then falls fast into a seemingly random part of the stage. The Hero seems vulnerable during this, and it can headbonk on the ceilings. Costs 8 MP.
13. Kaclang: gets stuck in place, but you are invincible to everything. How much you can control the duration (if you can) or how vulnerable you are when the move ends is currently unknown. Costs 6 MP.
14. Metal Slash: a low range, low power slash that deals only 1% damage, but instantly KOs anyone in a metal state. Costs 11 MP.
15. Hocus Pocus: deals a random effect, whether good or bad. Slowing down Hero himself is an effect that can happen. The spell menu down special is already RNG on the spell, but this spell singlehandely makes in the single most RNG character in the game. Costs 4 MP.
16. Magic Burst: a wide explosion attack around Hero. The damage and knockback is determined by how much MP you burn with the move, with higher levels of MP burned doing massive amounts of damage. Costs all your MP.
17. Kamikazee: has high amounts of knockback and deals a whopping 50% of damage. However, it has high startup and it instantly KOs the user. Costs 1 MP, making it the lowest costing spell.

I'll bet Hero will have poor frame data to balance out his spells. They look like adaptation based characters where you have to make the most of what you get. That and resource management. It takes MP just to recover. Throwing Hero off stage repeatedly might be a good strategy to burn their MP.
When I checked to see if Bounce did slow down Hero's movement, I was incorrect. I instead noticed that the Hero actually has pretty lackluster air speed in his base form.

Down-B being as slow as it is renders a lot of the moves useless in a competitive setting-Heal and Zoom seem to be the immediately useful ones to me, with Snooze, Kamikaze, Thwack being more situational/meme options. The Freeze Slash can potentially set up a lot if you get it but like everything else in Hero's kit, not very reliable.

There seems to be a lot of "Go for broke" in Hero's kit, it's not a recipe for tournament success but it should be an exciting character to see in tournament
I don't know about Snooze. It puts aerial opponents to sleep (if you are offstage, then you are dead lol), and it seems like an easy followup when it lands. This is attached to a character that has critical hit smash attacks and spells that are very devastating when landed.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
Hero seems like he might be unreliable with his down b as it looks like he needs space to set up, mp management, and to hope that the rng benefits him at that time.

Untouch

Smash Master
I think when Sakurai said metal, they meant characters with the metal property, not Megaman/Samus/Rob.

Kiligar

Smash Journeyman
Side B is wonky but I think mobility is more pits problem atm. I wouldn't say Side B is particularly horrendous but like most of pits kit he doesn't really have bad moves. It's good for recovery mix up horizontal, as Yolo as most counters but it is a tad weak in terms of power for the risk investment and very very unsafe. Uptilt is pretty solid coverage though and trades well with most aerials the lack of horizontal hit box seems fair for the move it's not bad.

As far as Dark pits bow while you can't edge guard with it as well as normal pit, it trades better in neutral against other projectile users, does almost double the uncharged damage, moves faster and is much easier to control on tilted stages like yoshis island or castle siege.

I see down B is a bit too niche due to its frame data as a reflector as more of a problem, granted i'll give you that side B has it's share of short comings. Most of pits moves are solid though and have good uses, it's just his air speed is so slow and he relies on auto canceled aerials rather than fast falling because of end lag.
You don’t simply ‘fix’ a character’s characteristics. For example, turning Kirby into Fox in terms of movement. Or Jigglypuff. That makes characters less unique. Instead, you change their moves so they have a work around. Pits mobility in the air isn’t that greeat, on the ground it’s fine, but that’s where side Special comes in. You cannot move side Special distance to ledge with an air dodge, jump, or any alternative option. The problem is that this “work around” for lackluster air mobility is terrible. The super armor last too short, too late. Frames 11-26 is not that great for counterattacks. I’d like to see frames 5-30 due to how punishable the move is when grounded, 2/3 of the cast can forward smash Pit Oos because of how punishable it is.

Chrom Neutral Special, Ike Aether, Ganon Up Tilt, and large forward smashes. Due to how quickly the super armor runs out, you die. This “work around” isn’t really working. You may be better if using Power of Flight diagonally in many cases. Furthermore, things like Charizard’s Fire breath, Bowser’s, Ridley’s, Samus Down Special and several other projectiles can disrupt the side Special due to the awful reflection animation. I have died many times to Charizard for “reflecting” his fire breath, unless I hold away and buffer air dodge which makes me as good as dead against a skilled player. The Side Special is not a good recovery move. Even in my argument for why Pit could be bottom high tier, I mentioned how this move works ‘sometimes’. If you travel too far from the ledge, you can literally be spiked out of it. Not to mention the extreme punishment for not clipping the ledge. If you go underneath, you basically kiss the blast zone and have to come up without a hit box. If you go over, you’re as good as dead due to ridiculous landing lag.

I was not kidding when I said I can write paragraphs on how terrible the move is. I spoke of reflection earlier. Pit Side Special only actually reflects five projectiles: Link(s) arrows, Greninja’s shuriken, Villager’s Rocket, Villager’s tree and Pikachu/Pichu thunderjolt. What does this mean? When Pit reflects with Upperdash arm, he loses all momentum and enters a laggy animation. In other words, you get punished FOR “reflecting” the opponent’s projectile. This can happen with PK Fire, razor leaf, the whole charade with Mega Man, Wii Fit etc you get the idea. I may even try to punish them because I read an attack, but it turns out the attack is a projectile, and Ness eagerly back throws. Or Dr. Mario. Or regular Mario. Or simply anyone who has a projectile not one of the five listed. This has to change.

On top of all this, when the move connects with the opponent’s hurt box, it loses super armor for 1 frame. This means, you can simply die when you read an attack if the attack connects as you hit the opponent. This makes the move even more inconsistent and it’s the first fix I’d like to see. Also, due to the true hit of of the arm emerging two frames after actually hitting the hurt box, you can be baited into s free kill accidentally by the opponent, for example back flips from the likes of Mario, Joker etc can spell your end on top of everything else you have to worry about. Not only that, but dash attacks that cross up can sometimes do just that, leaving you in that trademark “please take my stock” animation. So, getting punished for making the correct read, which is trying to use the super armor to punish the opponent excessively attacking.

Not only that, but clanking, the move seems to clank very often, especially against Joker’s dash attack. I’d like to see what was done to Mac’s tilts done to the side Special since clanking ruins the whole purpose of the move, which is hard reading an attack overextension and punishing. Lastly, the move, after all this pain and torment, doesn’t deal that much damage (base 11%/12%), kills averagely well on middleweights, good on lightweights and is absolutely terrible against heavyweights.

You mentioned how you don’t think Side Special is horrendous. Well, although I complain about the move very often due to the slew of problems happening nearly every match, what do I actually think of the move. It’s not the worst side Special in the game, I’d say Yoshi, Kirby’s and Charizard’s are worse, although honestly Charizard’s isn’t significantly worse. And that’s it. 4th worst side Special in the game. Yeah that’s right, as a player who pockets all Miis, I’d take any of their side Specials any day. I’d take Zelda’s Side Special, I’d take K. Rool’s, I’d take Jigglypuff’s, and all others over Upperdash/Electroshock arm. These moves need significant reworking. Although I don’t know what level of understanding the balance team is on. Using the move once or twice when it works, and the balance team may think it’s perfectly fine. But if you use the character for even just a week, there should be no doubt that it’s Pit’s worst move.

As for Up Tilt- that move is nowhere as suicidal as Side Special, but, what does it actually do? I believe it true combos to U air at extremely low percent. And I think it true combos to Nair at and a bit above this percent. With perfectly buffered execution, something not only difficult (and with low reward) in tourneys, but impossible online. The move is not safe on shield. Due to the second hit box which does not have any grounded effect, a well timed spot dodge by a character with a fast forward smash by a character like Lucina, can mean a hard punish and the end of your stock. (If they parry the first hit...) The move will never kill, I don’t even think it kills in sudden death. Outside the percent range of perfect execution, the opponent can air dodge through. Or you may be human and be off a frame. Regardless, a neutral air dodge can result in you getting punished for attempting to follow up. The move especially seems to whither when Down Tilt, exists, which can be safe on shield, has more follow up potential at higher percent, less FAF making spot dodges and Parries less dangerous, and even has nearly three times as much grounded range. Speaking of grounded range, since Up Tilt has a mere 0.65 units, it’s quite possible to whiff the move in front of the opponent’s face, and be greeted with a “Game!”.

So.. I have legitimate reasons why I believe these moves should get fixed, and hopefully buffed as well. There are other moves that have their problems, (Down Special, U-air, Forward Tilt) but they pale in comparison to these two and have actual niches even if they’re lackluster at performing them. I can speak of the Bows later if you wish, but will not do so now after the essay I composed. I love using my character. He’s decent, OK, overall, he’s no Kirby, K.Rool, Isabelle or even Ridley. (Not saying Ridley is absolutely terrible, but his flaws are significant and Pit surpasses him). But, some of his moves are not good, to the extent that the character seems, like some players put it “unfinished” or “incomplete”. If these problems get addressed, Pit can truly join the high tiers and maybe get some actual usage, instead of being a perpetually decent Gatekeeper.

Last edited:

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
Do you know the best thing about Hero's inclusion into Smash that no one is talking about?

THE DR. WILY SPIRIT FIGHT IS FINALLY DOABLE WITHOUT SPIRITS! YES!!!

17 spells (note that spell costs may be different at the final build).

1. Oomph: makes you next move do more damage. One use only, but doesn't wear off if whiffed. Costs 16 MP.
2. Psyche Up: makes you next move do more knockback. One use only, but doesn't wear off if whiffed. Costs 14 MP.
3. Bounce: reflects projectiles when active. Costs 14 MP.
4. Heal: heals your health. By how much is currently unknown. Costs 7 MP.
5. Flame Slash: a very fast slash that covers a wide reach and does around 22%. Deals flame damage. Costs 12 MP.
6. Kacrackle Slash: a very fast slash that covers a wide reach and does around 13%. Freezes opponents. Costs 11 MP.
7. Accelerate: greatly boosts Hero's movement across the board. Costs 13 MP.
8. Kaboom: fires a small, but fast orb that then stops, sucks opponents in, and causes a big explosion. Deals 28%, and it seems to have KO power. Costs 37 MP.
9. Snooze: fires an intangible projectile that puts opponents asleep. It seems to work an air opponents as well. Costs 16 MP.
10. Hatchet Man: a move with high startup and low range, but deals 35% and a high amount of knockback. Costs 15 MP.
11. Thwack: a move that is hard to land and does a mealy 3.6%, but has the chance to instantly KO an opponent. The higher the percents, the more chance for this to happen. Costs 30 MP.
12. Zoom: the opponent flies very high upwards and then falls fast into a seemingly random part of the stage. The Hero seems vulnerable during this, and it can headbonk on the ceilings. Costs 8 MP.
13. Kaclang: gets stuck in place, but you are invincible to everything. How much you can control the duration (if you can) or how vulnerable you are when the move ends is currently unknown. Costs 6 MP.
14. Metal Slash: a low range, low power slash that deals only 1% damage, but instantly KOs anyone in a metal state. Costs 11 MP.
15. Hocus Pocus: deals a random effect, whether good or bad. Slowing down Hero himself is an effect that can happen. The spell menu down special is already RNG on the spell, but this spell singlehandely makes in the single most RNG character in the game. Costs 4 MP.
16. Magic Burst: a wide explosion attack around Hero. The damage and knockback is determined by how much MP you burn with the move, with higher levels of MP burned doing massive amounts of damage. Costs all your MP.
17. Kamikazee: has high amounts of knockback and deals a whopping 50% of damage. However, it has high startup and it instantly KOs the user. Costs 1 MP, making it the lowest costing spell.

When I checked to see if Bounce did slow down Hero's movement, I was incorrect. I instead noticed that the Hero actually has pretty lackluster air speed in his base form.

I don't know about Snooze. It puts aerial opponents to sleep (if you are offstage, then you are dead lol), and it seems like an easy followup when it lands. This is attached to a character that has critical hit smash attacks and spells that are very devastating when landed.
17 seems like an odd number.
But you can cancel downB by using shield, so you can get the "correct" speel pretty fast, especially when the opponent is at disadvantage.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think the RNG is in Hero's favor, as there are only about four spells that are objectively bad in competitive play, and there are a few that are really good like Oomph and Accelerate (Basically Deep Breathing). Snooze affects airborne opponents so if the Hero can get it off then it will be incredibly easy to gimp the opponent. Magic Burst will probably end quite a few matches as well (especially if the opponent is trying to recover). The rest of the spells seem to be pretty standard.

I expect this character to be a decent zoner that becomes a monster when it comes time to gimp recoveries.

Uncharged critical hit up smash currently does 41.3%, by the way.
Um...What. Crits seem to be pretty common too so I foresee everyone hating this character regardless of how good he actually is.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
To the surprise of absolutely no one, streamers and players are going on about how the character is going to broken. lol

I am just going to go back and eat some popcorn to see how well these statements age.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Not in competitive play. Metal Boxes aren't even a common drop anyway.

It pretty much invalidates metal spirits though (Like Dr. Wily). Also, imagine Metal Smash in which both players are Hero. lol
Not everything is made for competitive play. A better argument would be just how very few things turn you metal in general.

blackghost

Smash Champion
To the surprise of absolutely no one, streamers and players are going on about how the character is going to broken. lol

I am just going to go back and eat some popcorn to see how well these statements age.
he's going to be good but hes not breaking the game. not even close. for all the robin, shulk, and link players go have a good time with a good character.

Top Bottom