• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

LightLV

Smash Ace
Other problem that arises is that balacing is going to be more dificult to the devs this time, only because the powerlevel of the entire cast is more compared to smash 4 and the roster is bigger, you can't say what trait of the character is overtuned or undertuned compared to the rest of the cast because we dont have a definitive best character, the opinions of the majority is that inkling pikachu and chrom are the very best but these three have diferent traits aside from being fast, other characters considered are the belmonts, peach, young link and pichu, so the pool of differences between characters expands, this situation is a bit different from early smash wii u meta in that you could see what characters were clearly better and what tools were overtuned, like diddy Hoo-Ha, sheik needles, luma in general.

The buffs to the roster were very good in this game. I don't see any character that's currently worthy of an instant nerf stick. A few days ago i was thinking K Rool was a character definitely worthy of some kind of nerf, but the more i play him the easier he becomes to deal with.

The only thing i've seen so far that feels truly nerf worthy this early would be Luigi's 0% Dthrow kill combo. It works on the whole cast and is just way too rewarding to go for.

The things that were broken in Smash 4 were broken because they were exclusive. But something like Diddy's Hoo-Ha in this game wouldn't even really be that big of a deal because so many characters in this game have similarly easy kill options....and even if they don't, Diddy doesn't have exclusively good frame data in this game...almost EVERYONE moves like Shiek and Diddy in Ultimate.

Last edited:

Heracr055

Smash Ace
I've gained quite the respect for Incineroar since I made my first post writing him off. His recovery is actually not too bad provided you use it correctly. And of course there's all the recent stuff posted here discussing his grappler traits and how he can flip the tables on the foe in an instant. I'm glad to say I was wrong about him.
And whoa, I didn't know that Kirby was perceived as so awful. Then again I've only faced one the entirety of the game's lifespan so far, so it doesn't exactly bode well for him.

Last edited:

DiamondDust132

Smash Cadet
NNID
DiamondDust132
First time doing one of these, so sorry in advance if it's not as competent as everyone else's. Just my personal opinions.

:ultbayonetta: - Wow. Where to begin? I didn't play her much in Smash 4 though I am aware of how ridiculous she was in that game. Still, I think she got overnerfed. It is a massive struggle for this character to kill in Ultimate. I've taken so much percent just trying my best to get a stock. It feels ridiculous, especially against Big Bois like K Rool. Her Smashes are incredibly laggy and unsafe despite their awesome range, forcing her to rely on Bair or F-Throw at incredibly high percents. She still has a few nice combos, but floaties like Kirby can literally just DI out of them. She's forced to use Heel Slide/After Burner Kick to do anything, which is incredibly unsafe now that she can't go through shields. Her Neutral B whiffs on the majority of the cast. Her recovery isn't horrible, but it irks me. No clue if Witch Twist had such awful vertical range in Smash 4 or if it's just because magnet hands got nerfed, but I can't count how many times I've died because I presumed I would grab the ledge. Witch Time is almost worthless since you can be hit right out of it and it barely lasts any time. Not being able to use Witch Twist out of shield due to its sluggish startup is heartbreaking. Most importantly, WHY do I have six million frames of landing lag after Witch Twist/After Burner Kick? I get those moves were busted in Sm4sh, but they'd already been nerfed without the landing lag change. This means it's mandatory I snap the ledge during recoveries in order not to die, not to mention it makes whiffing combos on stage super risky. This probably irks me the most about her. This characters needs a lot of work to succeed. I have fun using her, but only because she's so bad in Ultimate and I'm weird like that.

:ultzss: - Not too fond of the nerfs she got from Sm4sh. Up air being so slow is annoying. I wish it killed faster to compensate. Speaking of killing, she can have a hard time doing so, though the Boost Kick buffs are CLUTCH. It's REALLY good in this game, so much so that I won't be shocked if it's nerfed in a later patch. The hitbox is huge and it seems hard to DI out of. I think she gets Up Air to Boost Kick at high percents (I think...). Plasma Wire killing is also great for her since it gives her both a spacing move and a needed kill move. Up Smash killing is also great. Up Smash in general is nice since it anti-airs too, though it sucks if it's whiffed or block. Nair is an awesome combo tool in light of her down throw getting nerfed to oblivion. Speaking of throws, they feel pretty worthless with her. F/B Throw at least set up edge guards, but even with the buff to her tether grab, it still seems risky to even go for throw outside of Nair confirms or pivot grabs. The nerfs to her Neutral B and Down Smash really hurt. They were great for racking up damage, but now you can be punished for using them at lower percents. Well, at least they still lead to kills at higher percents. I was never good at using Flip Kick to begin with, so the nerfs there don't hurt too much. The footstool is still nice against characters with garbage recoveries. Her recovery remains great imo. Three jumps, two tethers, and high ass jumps. Overall, she feels solid but not dominating by any means. I miss doing 100 Up Airs. I mained her in other games, though I have a hard time justifying doing so in Ultimate. I do have fun player her. Her neutral just baffles me though. I feel I have to spam Plasma Wire of Paralyzer. Her short hop being so high is just freaking weird, especially since I'm so used to SHFFLing with her in Project M.

:ulttoonlink: - A zoning monster. Playing this dude with projectile-less characters is...something (not impossible obviously). I personally find this little ******* hard to fight but fun as hell to play. All his moves having short range really hurt him, but his toolkit overall seems great. Bombs are still great, his boomerang is still busted and makes a lot of his pressure safe, and his arrows hurt like a mother. His Neutral B killing is insane to me, not to mention it makes trying to gimp him risky at high percents because you risk being hit and killed. Not really sure how he shapes up compared to the other Links, but he's a lot stronger than I figured. Forward Smash being one hit though kind of sucks since his old F Smash had a nice two hit confirm. Back throw is a legit kill move at high percent and near the edge. He just seems really solid. Don't think he's top tier due to his stubby range, but I don't think he's garbage. (Off topic but my sister hands me regular Ls with him. She's pretty good.)

:ultsonic: - I just find him really fun to play. I haven't used him much, so I can't say how good he is with 100% certainty, but he feels really solid. You just can't auto pilot his Specials anymore, which I think is fair. Honestly, a lot of characters suffer from not being able to cancel stuff off of shields (RIP Bayonetta). Nair seems to combo into EVERYTHING. Up B can still gimp, and overall, he's still a combo machine. It feels like you just have to go in way more with him rather than playing him both offensively and defensively. His dash dance is stupid good. So is his grab mixups. Hell, even his walk speed is great. He's going to be a monster on the ground. All his tilts seem good. Only projectiles are really going to slow him down, and even then, a lot of his moves seem to clash cleanly with stuff like the Links projectiles. His aerials are nice save for maybe down air. I think he'll be good at edgeguard too due to Fair/Bair/Up B. Again, not sure if this guy his top tier, but he just feels great all around. I might secondary him if not outright main him down the line.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
The :ultkirby: hyperbole is getting ridiculous. He is pretty noticeably buffed from Smash 4 (the list is long), and as a slow multi-jumper he slightly favors the new environment. He still has the curse of low range + low speed, but his combo and kill troubles are being heavily exaggerated.

Here's Captain L's Kirby getting MVD's Snake to 1 stock at DPOTG, despite a few technical mistakes and struggling with Nikita. Sure, he didn't beat MVD, but spoilers, no one did.

Melee Kirby my butt. The last time I saw Melee Kirby in a bracket, the guy got JV 5-stocked.

Kellojolly

Smash Cadet
I know most people are very high on Chrom and Roy right now. However, from largely playing Lucina to elite smash and watching some pros play (who are significantly better than myself), I'd like to say something many will disagree with: I think Lucina is on par with Chrom and better than Roy / Marth. What I realized in higher tier gameplay is just how difficult it is to space due to the general nimbleness of the opponents. They simply refuse to give you your comfort zone and I find myself doing better with Lucina than Chrom. I did much better at lower tier with Chrom when the opponents let me constantly spike them, keep the game to on-stage, and let me "chrombo" them to death. However, Once I got to higher GSP, people were constantly zoning my out, giving me hard matchups, taking the fight to offstage, etc. I found myself either destroying opponents or getting destroyed as Chrom. With Lucina, I was outputting less damage per hit but greater consistency. I apologize if this offends anyone but I just wanted to write out my own experience in elite smash (I understand this isn't any noteworthy accomplishment) and my observation from various tournaments. What are your thoughts?

side note: What do you guys think of Roy's recovery? I initially thought it was pretty good. But I found it to be rather "slow" and easily punishable. Is it supposed to be better than Marth/Lucina's recovery?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Contrary to what some people are saying i think :ultbayonetta:was handled very well her smash attacks are still super good her Aerials are still nuts but she can't latter or witch time finesse she feels like smash 4 :ultsheik: but with better kill moves I'd say she's at least high tier for this game

Ajani

Smash Apprentice
The :ultkirby: hyperbole is getting ridiculous. He is pretty noticeably buffed from Smash 4 (the list is long), and as a slow multi-jumper he slightly favors the new environment. He still has the curse of low range + low speed, but his combo and kill troubles are being heavily exaggerated.

Here's Captain L's Kirby getting MVD's Snake to 1 stock at DPOTG, despite a few technical mistakes and struggling with Nikita. Sure, he didn't beat MVD, but spoilers, no one did.

Melee Kirby my butt. The last time I saw Melee Kirby in a bracket, the guy got JV 5-stocked.
I still remember when smash 4 came out and everyone hyped lucario to be S tier and as the meta developed people thought of it much more differently. It's crazy how fast a conclusion is reached less than 2 weeks into the game

verbatim

Smash Ace
Mii Swordfighter just got 2nd in a 146 person tournament.

Assuming Panda Global doesn't ban them right out the gate I feel like the Mii's are gonna see slightly more results than last game, but from the brief parts I watched a lot of it seemed like people just didn't know the matchup. Mii Swordfighter had a bizzare frame 7 jumpsquat in Smash 4, so the universalized jumpsquats in Ultimate mattered a lot more to him than most characters his size, but otherwise he looks and plays more or less the same in this game as he did in the old one.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Pikachu being called a top tier contender in this game despite showing barely any results outside of Esam (according to all the result compilations I've seen from here).

I feel as if this has happened before in one or two Smash games ? hmm

- Combos aren't a strength for Pikachu, they're a prerequisite for him putting on damage because his damage per hit is low; his actual damage output per neutral win isn't anything special
- Generally has to commit heavily to get his strings started and to seal off stocks because his ground game is lacking and he only kills with unsafe close range attacks and edgeguarding
- Low damage per hit, light weight, and short range on his attacks makes trades bad (THREE of his aerials are multihit!! uuAAA), and his risk:reward ratio poor
- Plenty of other characters have dair meteors and fairs that kill offstage and with better aerial mobility to supplement (this doesn't make a character ridiculous offstage)

Like, he's probably a decent character, but when you look at the qualities that have made characters top tiers in the past such as mobility, good hitboxes, oppressive zoning, reliable kill confirms, strong edgeguarding game, good OoS options, ease of recovering and landing etc., Pikachu ticks two, maybe three. Why are people ignoring his weaknesses? What am I missing?

Last edited:

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
Nobody talks about doubles here, but if :ultincineroar:has any niche it'd be there.
Revenge is absolutely amazing in this current Swordie nairspam meta, and Incin loves the hectic fast nature of doubles more than anyone else right now.

Marmotbro

Smash Apprentice
Incineroar's biggest strengths lie in factors outside of the game. More than any character in the game he is designed to make you fear him and capitalize on that human aspect. No one wants to deal with a revenge boosted Incineroar. You either run away for a daunting whole minute or directly challenge him to get rid of it, the latter being what he exactly wants you to do.

I don't know where he'll end up, but he's a bonafide grappler. He embodies those exact mind games and mix ups traditional fighting game grapplers live for.
My friends and I joke that if you shaved :ultincineroar:, Zangief would be underneath. And you are completely right, He is a mindgame based character and people don't realize the psychology of it a lot of times.

By that logic, Little Mac is Incineroar, but trading useful aerials for ground speed that not only isn't complete ****, but is the third-fastest in the game (behind Captain Falcon and Sonic).
Correct, but :ultincineroar: also has one of the best grab games, his specials aren't complete trash, he is way less gimpable and way more unpredictable. :ultlittlemac: is scary on the ground, :ultincineroar: is scary everywhere.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Hey, what’s up with Faldo and ROB? I see a lot of people praising them but am unsure why.
I can talk to you about ROB.

ROB is one of the biggest winners of the current physics engine. In a game where everyone is afraid to airdodge offstage and recoveries aren't quite as good as they used to be, ROB can still recover from literally anywhere (his up special affords him the equivalent of 7 midair jumps) and go as deep as he likes to edgeguard. He doesn't even need to do that though - he has two fast projectiles that are both excellent at sniping recovering opponents so he does not need to commit to edgeguarding at all. It's worth noting that laser has been buffed so it knocks the opponent away instead of up.

Now, if your opponent manages to weave their way through this wall of projectiles, they've still got to make it back to stage which means they've got to make it through ROBs Side B.

Let me talk about ROBs Side B. It's low-key one of the most underdiscussed buffs in this entire game. The move now links properly, deals over 20% damage from all hits, and it kills. To give perspective of its kill power, it begins killing Mario on the ledge at 65%. It also has excellent priority that straight up beats a good amount of moves and has a long active duration.

What this means is that if you have to recover to the ledge with a lot of characters, all I need to do is walk next to the ledge and side b off of it and the hitbox lasts so long that it will catch you and it will kill offstage. It's seriously so good.

So yeah ROB loves an engine where he is now very strong at edgeguarding and people struggle to edgeguard him. He does struggle to kill outside of this though.

Some food for thought on the more common online matchups:

:ultinkling: - speed kinda overwhelms ROB but if he avoids the roller (which is relatively OK if he keeps a gyro on the ground) he survives a long time. Can side b inklings recovery to ledge every single time.

:ultroy::ultchrom: - Both can overwhelm ROB and kill him early but also can get gimped pretty early. Of note is that there's a bug where FE characters cannot dashgrab ROB on shield.

:ultsimon::ultrichter: - I think ROB might actually win this. His laser has enough speed and range to easily snipe them during projectile wars and force an approach, he beats them at close quarters thanks to frame 3 jab and down tilts, he can gimp them at stupid percents and his recovery affords him the luxury of recovering high to completely bypass their ledge traps - sure, they gain the option to try juggle him, but at least in my experience this seems more difficult for them due to the width of their upwards hitboxes and their relative difficulty chasing aerial drift and directional airdodges.

TimG57867

Smash Ace

The narrative is likely mostly springing up from the fact that neutral game with Kirby isn't as straightforward as with most characters and that's more noticeable in a game where so many seem like they can just mash whatever they want for free. You do have to be calculated with Kirby to get the most of him. As stated in my first post here, Kirby will need noticeable buffs to become a relevant threat in the metagame. However I can't help but find some of the issues outlined here exaggerated. Particularly his advantage state ala combos and killing.

The most commonly noted nerfs to his combo game are to his Up Tilt and F Throw. Up Tilt noticeably doesn't combo into itself a lot of times like it used to which means you'll no longer super dunk on any fast faller that falls into it. But the thing is that unless you were a fast faller with just the right physics, you never really got combo'd to kingdom come. On most characters, I feel Kirby gets 1, maybe 2 less Up Tilts on for free. On the other hand, due to increased knockback, Up Tilt now combos into aerial moves much better which throughout Kirby's kit tend to outdamage Up Tilt on most characters. And with landing severely decreased on Kirby's aerials across the board, he has a much easier time than ever get Up Tilt into landing aerials and often continuing those chains than ever. As for F-Throw, the only noticeably bad thing that's happened to it is the odd issue with landing on very low platforms that's only circumvented by use Final Cutter. Beyond that however, Kirby's Throw combo game is clearly better. The reduced landing lag on moves makes his conversions of the move at low percent far more effective across the board in this game than they ever were in SSB4. Most characters were not supsceptible to regrab combos by Kirby in SSB4. Now he can get them on a rather wide proportion of the cast. And beyond all that, Kirby's D-Air actually true combos into enemies at the right percents. Something that was never possible in SSB4. This alone has already fastly improved his throw conversions and on some characters a conversion could easily take on 40-60+%. Sure they are no Luigi combos but to say that his combo game is utterly neutered is just a mistruth imo.

And then there's killing. As I've said before, Kirby finds it much easier to kill outright in this game with Dash Attack now able to punish landings and kill at feasible percents. And beyond that, Kirby has more consistent kill confirms than he ever did in SSB4. F-Air 1 -> F Smash works so much better and F-Air 1 spaced right is pretty much freely confirms into all his kill moves. N-Air also proving to have setup potential with N-Air to RAR B-Air looking rather good in my testing. And if you're super on point and manage to auto-cancel D-Air it sets up into Up Smash and D-Smash. Still need to practice this however.

I also find the issues with Inhale exaggerated. The chance of an RNG drop is as annoying as ever but the actual powers can be quite devastating when properly abused. Especially with their 1.2x damage multiplier in this game. I can't help but wonder how much better Captain L could have done if he had an idea of how to utilize grenades against Snake. Sadly this aspect of Kirby even amongst his community isn't getting a lot of attention.

I can agree that Kirby is quite undertuned compared to most in the game and is in clear need of tuneups and despises a lot of sword spam atm, but I think the extent of issues are being blown out of proportion. Sure I can't recommend him above most characters as far as objective viability goes but I find unironic Melee Kirby comparisons to be rather concerning. Even IF Kirby's the worst character in this game, he's still several atmospheric levels in competence above the position his Melee iteration was in.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Someone above mentioned how playing against Yoshi as Kirby makes you realize how lacking Kirby is, but Yoshi can make any character feel that way. Even Inklings can seem inadequate in the face of Yoshi's tricky movement and large hitboxes.

As for how good or not Kirby is, I don't know, but I feel like his dash tilts and dash jab are actually quite good.

Dedicated character mains seem to get hit hardest when their character's game plan changes. There's something psychological about it, and I see it happening all over, regardless of whether characters are buffed, nerfed, or stay the same-ish.

Vermanubis (5th at DPG) complains about Ganondorf having shorter hitboxes.

MikeKirby is down on Kirby.

KillerJawz thinks Mewtwo got worse.

There's something to be said when one's trained skills don't carry over to the next game, but I think that the rewiring of brains between iterations takes a while.

Browny

Smash Hater
Mewtwo objectively got worse, no one can question the loss of confusions bounce, dtilts tipper hitbox sending enemies further away and no more airdodge spamming. But what changed around him should that nerfed a whole lot of characters will in time, make him a better character.

Countless characters got their recoveries nerfed while Mewtwo can still get back from anywhere, so his edgeguarding is absolutely top tier and he should be taking a lot more stocks off edgeguards than ever before.. Ceilings are higher in general and he got a weight buff, so he will be living longer.

Edgeguarding in this game has a lot of room for development. It wasn't that long ago that people were crying about K. Rool having a completely unfair recovery, now its a total liability. The FE characters will also get exposed over time for their weak recovery when they have to play 50:50s as to whether they get back on stage if people actually chase them which few people are doing, everyone is still busy trying to dtilt the ledge to 2-frame instead. I mean really, it says a lot when people are so happy about airdodge changes meaning edgeguards are easier, while they proceed to never actually attempt edgeguarding.

Last edited:

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
There are quite a number of differences between :ultincineroar: and :ultganondorf: that change their fortunes:

1. We've talked about this at length, but Revenge actively disincentivizes the safe button pressing that slow characters have typically struggled with. Getting hit with anything at all boosts Incineroar's next hit by 1.5, which is huge, and he can continue to stack boosts on bad projectiles/moves. This means he does not constantly have to go button for button with faster characters, unlike someone like Ganondorf.

2. This is further increased by the fact that all of Incineroar's buttons and specials are really good. His aerials are basically :4diddy: with extended range, allowing him to effectively air to air people. Nair is frame 5 and can combo break, whereas Ganon has to hold everything. Unlike Dorf uair, Incineroar's works well to keep people actively in disadvantage. Utilt and USmash are good anti-airs with invincibility on the head/hands, whereas Ganondorf has to either retreat or risk whiffing an USmash. Alolan Whip is basically what Flame Choke should be, Lariat is a good button all-around, serving as a get off me and scramble tool, and Cross Chop's armor means that he doesn't get gimped simply by sticking out a hitbox.

3. Speaking of recovery, Incineroar gets a number of mixups close to the stage (fall down Up B, side B to ledge, side B air dodge, Up B to stage, side B over stage, etc.) Even from far away, he still has a decent number of options afforded to him. Ganondorf, due to his up-b and side b putting him in free fall, has a lot less options and is therefore much more predictable in how he recovers.

I don't think Incineroar is going to be great in all MUs, but his value as a character to have in your hand is immense and I think he'll be popular no matter what

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Mewtwo objectively got worse, no one can question the loss of confusions bounce, dtilts tipper hitbox sending enemies further away and no more airdodge spamming. But what changed around him should that nerfed a whole lot of characters will in time, make him a better character.

Countless characters got their recoveries nerfed while Mewtwo can still get back from anywhere, so his edgeguarding is absolutely top tier and he should be taking a lot more stocks off edgeguards than ever before.. Ceilings are higher in general and he got a weight buff, so he will be living longer.

Edgeguarding in this game has a lot of room for development. It wasn't that long ago that people were crying about K. Rool having a completely unfair recovery, now its a total liability. The FE characters will also get exposed over time for their weak recovery when they have to play 50:50s as to whether they get back on stage if people actually chase them which few people are doing, everyone is still busy trying to dtilt the ledge to 2-frame instead. I mean really, it says a lot when people are so happy about airdodge changes meaning edgeguards are easier, while they proceed to never actually attempt edgeguarding.
The weak recovery they have had since Marth and Roy's debut in 2001?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Incineroar is just extremely polarising. I think he'll fare better than Little Mac during Smash 4's run, but not wayyyy better. I expect him to be viewed as somewhere low High Tier. I think of him as kinda a mix of Smash 4 DK and Little Mac. Polarising as hell, but extremely scary. Possibly to be the most feared character in the game. Which is great, because beasts like DK, K.Rool, Mewtwo and Ridley also still excist.

I really don't think Mewtwo got worse. His gameplay just changed, slightly. And that's maybe off putting for others, but it's cool with me. Gives you something new to master with a old character. Same with Diddy honestly. People write these characters off for the few changes, but generally ingnore the buffs. Shadow Ball dealing more than 30%, weight increase, top tier recovery, awesome jab changes, even stronger Smash attacks, F Tilt, edgeguarding tools.. and you call this objectively worse?

Let the metagame evolve. You cannot compare the fully evolved Smash 4 metagame with a barely 2 weeks old game's "metagame" with people N Air spamming with Fire Emblem Sword Lords...... I believe Mewtwo will be regarded as better over time. To me, he's clearly Top Tier.

DiamondDust132

Smash Cadet
NNID
DiamondDust132
Contrary to what some people are saying i think :ultbayonetta:was handled very well her smash attacks are still super good her Aerials are still nuts but she can't latter or witch time finesse she feels like smash 4 :ultsheik: but with better kill moves I'd say she's at least high tier for this game
Her Smashes have a lot of range, but relative to her lowered kill power, they're super risky to lose save for Down Smash as an edge guard. Whiffing them results in lots of damage, which is the overall problem with the character imo. No way she's high tier. Mid tier at best, but even that seems pushing it.

Untouch

Smash Master
:ultwiifittrainer:: Mostly anecdotal, but she feels a lot better. Her hitboxes were so frustrating in Smash 4 that I couldn't play her. I don't know if they've fixed them or if the fact that you can attack out of a dash just makes positioning way easier, but I can actually land attacks now (except USmash, which still feels odd to me). Fall speed is still really low though which is a shame. Outside of the ledge changes making camping was less viable, the overall engine changes really benefit her and I'd like to see what top players can do.

Browny

Smash Hater
Incineroar is just extremely polarising. I think he'll fare better than Little Mac during Smash 4's run, but not wayyyy better. I expect him to be viewed as somewhere low High Tier. I think of him as kinda a mix of Smash 4 DK and Little Mac. Polarising as hell, but extremely scary. Possibly to be the most feared character in the game. Which is great, because beasts like DK, K.Rool, Mewtwo and Ridley also still excist.

I really don't think Mewtwo got worse. His gameplay just changed, slightly. And that's maybe off putting for others, but it's cool with me. Gives you something new to master with a old character. Same with Diddy honestly. People write these characters off for the few changes, but generally ingnore the buffs. Shadow Ball dealing more than 30%, weight increase, top tier recovery, awesome jab changes, even stronger Smash attacks, F Tilt, edgeguarding tools.. and you call this objectively worse?

Let the metagame evolve. You cannot compare the fully evolved Smash 4 metagame with a barely 2 weeks old game's "metagame" with people N Air spamming with Fire Emblem Sword Lords...... I believe Mewtwo will be regarded as better over time. To me, he's clearly Top Tier.
The dtilt tipper change is big. Turns his incredibly easy 40%+ combos into like, 6%. He needs to win neutral at minimum 2 more times than he used to to keep up to his old self.

I think Mewtwo will eventually be top as well, but it will only happen once people actively edgeguard more and stop giving characters the ledge for free in a low % attempt to 2-frame it.

Mister M

Smash Apprentice
I never played Kirby in smash 4 but I thought the reason his playerbase appeared to pay little attention to copy abilities was because there were no set ups that would let you get acquire them reliably. Therefore it was only ever considered in match ups where the neutral b was game changing; vs shulk comes to mind.

It's not unreasonable to think Kirby should have a way of getting his copy ability consistently, that way they could seriously be considered in every match up. Especially if he's as undertuned as everyone is saying. He wouldn't be the first character to have his kit centralised around one move.

SiO2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sprocket
I haven't seen too many online myself, but I still think all of the :ultmiifighters: are underrated.

:4miibrawl: is the weakest of the bunch, not in terms of kill power, but in terms of being able to actually hit their opponent. I swear it feels like their range is somehow smaller than Kirby, and their recovery is almost as bad as :ultlittlemac:. However once they acually get close enough to hit their opponent, their hits are hard, and lead to early KOs. Not Smash 4 early mind you, but earlier than a lot of the cast. They also feel very fast.

:4miisword: is not to be underestimated. He has the range and speed to go up against other swordies, and has some good kill setups and edge guarding tools. He also has at least one tournament win.

:4miigun: plays like a mix of :ultsamus:, :ultvillager:, :ultmegaman: and :ultsnake: depending on specials. I think she goes even (at worst) with most of the cast. The ones that give her the most trouble are :ultsimon::ultrichter:, :ultolimar:, and :ultpichu:. Not to mention we have a 2nd place win in a recent tournament.

Overall I'm happy with the competitive diversity and balance this go around. I don't feel any character is terrible, even :ultkirby:. Are some better than others? Of course, this will always be the case.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
I never played Kirby in smash 4 but I thought the reason his playerbase appeared to pay little attention to copy abilities was because there were no set ups that would let you get acquire them reliably. Therefore it was only ever considered in match ups where the neutral b was game changing; vs shulk comes to mind.

It's not unreasonable to think Kirby should have a way of getting his copy ability consistently, that way they could seriously be considered in every match up. Especially if he's as undertuned as everyone is saying. He wouldn't be the first character to have his kit centralised around one move.
He had a couple setups in SSB4 but in Ultimate they’ve become more practical. Up Tilt‘s new properties make getting Inhale off it even better and with its landing lag reduction, a falling Up Air into jump Inhale will get him the Copy as well. Actually landing the move has probably become easier for Kirby than ever.

Right now the main thing atm that seems to be pushing his mains away from is that abilities SEEM to be easier to lose. I say it that way because we still haven’t had anyone check the code to see if the mechanics behind losing powers has changed. We had one user test it with various moves in training but a tangible difference couldn’t be produced between now and SSB4. I would like to have this datamined eventually because it’s been a real point of contention.

Regardless, even if abilities are easier to lose I still don’t believe it excuses tossing its applications to the wind the way many users seem to be doing at the moment.

Mister M

Smash Apprentice
He had a couple setups in SSB4 but in Ultimate they’ve become more practical. Up Tilt‘s new properties make getting Inhale off it even better and with its landing lag reduction, a falling Up Air into jump Inhale will get him the Copy as well. Actually landing the move has probably become easier for Kirby than ever.

Right now the main thing atm that seems to be pushing his mains away from is that abilities SEEM to be easier to lose. I say it that way because we still haven’t had anyone check the code to see if the mechanics behind losing powers has changed. We had one user test it with various moves in training but a tangible difference couldn’t be produced between now and SSB4. I would like to have this datamined eventually because it’s been a real point of contention.

Regardless, even if abilities are easier to lose I still don’t believe it excuses tossing its applications to the wind the way many users seem to be doing at the moment.
This is interesting. Having and easier time getting abilities as well as losing them easily makes sense from a design point, especially considering how Kirby games play.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Kirby's copy ability is what makes some of his worst matchups more tolerable tbh. I can't imagine fighting Shulk without copying his monados.

If it is confirmed to be true, then it's a shame to lose the ability much more easily in this game. That makes those matchups even more of a pain for him.

LOL hopefully the Melee comparisons though are just to where his performance is relative to, not directly to the ability of the fighter itself. Melee Kirby didn't even have a dash attack nor anything safe on shield.

Last edited:

Scarlet Spyder

Smash Cadet

I played Mewtwo in Smash 4 and at first it was really strange for me to play Mewtwo in this game. He definitely just feels different, due to some move changes and the overall mechanics changes (RIP airdodge spam). The changes to airdodge benefit his juggling game, but you can't just zip around the air like in Smash 4 without getting your big body challenged by other aerials. Overall, I think the buffs outweigh any nerfs to a few specific moves. Players will adjust over time but I think Mewtwo will end up being very solid in this game.

LightLV

Smash Ace

Here's CaptainL's Kirby getting MVD's Snake to 1 stock at DPOTG, despite a few technical mistakes and struggling with Nikita. Sure, he didn't beat MVD, but spoilers, no one did.

I've been saying from the start that Kirby has a decent kit, he's just severely gimped by the game's new standard and so falls below the curve.

He's low tier in the sense that he's ill-equipped to deal with the current state of the game. Not in the Melee sense where he's just a bad character.

That, and i feel like his specials are pretty whack. Hammer consistently seems to become poor in every game and I cannot for the life of me understand why. It's like Smash4 Zelda phantom levels of worthless. Should have just stuck with the Brawl one.

Kirby will probably perform very well against the less mobile members of the cast, and ones that don't rely much on aerial prowess. But pretty much everyone's aerial game got buffed hard in this game so..

I also find the issues with Inhale exaggerated. The chance of an RNG drop is as annoying as ever but the actual powers can be quite devastating when properly abused. Especially with their 1.2x damage multiplier in this game. I can't help but wonder how much better Captain L could have done if he had an idea of how to utilize grenades against Snake. Sadly this aspect of Kirby even amongst his community isn't getting a lot of attention.
The Inhale woes are what caused me to conclude that Kirby isn't worth playing.

1) Inhale is a relatively high-risk move, and without it Kirby basically doesn't have a functional neutral B. Inhale's break still scales very poorly with damage so it even has limited gimp potential unless your opponent just doesn't know to rotate the analog stick.

2) Inhaling projectiles is somewhere between underwhelming and downright stupid because it only heals 1% (no matter what) and smaller ones lock Kirby in a ridiculous recovery animation that pretty much guarantees a punish. It's honestly better to move, or just get shot 90% of the time.

3) The new copy strength is certainly amazing, almost so much so that it's worth it to get it and can turn the tables of Kirby's matchups pretty easily. But being able to potentially lose it immediately in a jab string is just stupid as ****.

Last edited:

trickroom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
orangeguy1201
Switch FC
SW 6607 1457 7300

Of course he's no Melee Kirby, and of course every Ultimate 'low-tier' is still much closer in viability to the upper echelons of the cast, but I can't help but wonder: If Kirby's not the worst in the game right now, then who is? There aren't many strong "competitors" with kirby for the title of worst-in-game. Who would they be? Pac-Man? Little Mac?

Last edited:

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
I don't consider myself a competitive Smash player by any stretch of imagination, but there is one thing I'd like to speak about.

Why are people talking about :ultsonic:, but not mentioning the biggest buff he received from Smash 4 to Ultimate? For reference, I'm speaking about Sonic's Homing Attack, which is now not only usable, but actually a really freaking good move.

First things first, Homing Attack now actually lives up to its name. It'll now reliably, y'know, hit things. Especially with the nerf to Airdodging.

Homing Attack got an increase in both power and speed. While before, Homing Attack was fairly predictable due to having a fairly large wind-up and fixed time of release, now Sonic can now perform mixups with his Homing Attack by varying the time he releases it (And Homing Attack gets stronger as you charge it for longer, doing about 20% at full charge), further adding to Sonic's already potent mixup game. A fast-release Homing Attack could also serve as a combo-extender. If somebody's trying to edgeguard you, it could also be used as a recovery move, maybe? I'm not entirely sure on the specifics myself, but I do think people should lab to see what works with Sonic's Homing Attack.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Parrying is hard; the only player I've seen do it consistently is Konga.

Intercepting opponents offstage has changed. Before if you jumped far out the opponent could airdodge and gimp you. Now we can airdodge to the ledge, in addition to several armored upBs. We need to be bold and jump offstage after the opponent we launched. Run off Nairs don't work as well with directional airdodges.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Parrying is hard; the only player I've seen do it consistently is Konga.

Intercepting opponents offstage has changed. Before if you jumped far out the opponent could airdodge and gimp you. Now we can airdodge to the ledge, in addition to several armored upBs. We need to be bold and jump offstage after the opponent we launched. Run off Nairs don't work as well with directional airdodges.
At the risk of stating the obvious, I think this varies greatly by character. If Chrom or Incineroar, for example, try to go for a deep edgeguard, they risk not making it back.

I do agree with the general point that aggressive edgeguards are probably the future, though.

Myollnir

Smash Ace
I'm going to talk a bit about the 3 characters I've played & labbed the most :ultkirby::ulticeclimbers::ultbayonetta:

While I hate to say it, I wouldn't be surprised if :ultkirby: gets his own tier.

I don't want to explain every general mechanic of the game that he dislikes, there would be too much to talk about, however, here's a list of direct nerfs he received :
- U-Tilt strings against fastfallers are entirely gone
- D-air lost 4 frames of advantage on hit, making even D-air to grab escapable. No longer scales with rage to confirm into D-Smash. Offstage, it doesn't confirm into footstool anymore and is an absurdly weak spike.
- F-Throw makes him hop on BF's platforms, making any kind of decent follow-up impossible from what is his most reliable combo starter. Combined with his atrocious platform pressure and overall advantage state, he's downright unplayable on BF. Also a big nerf to the % range of F-Throw UpB.
- Copy abilities are lost super easily for absolutely no reason, rendering all the work you did to acquire it useless with a character that NEEDS copy. A new neutralB can make match-ups go from a hopeless struggle to just an uphill battle, and sometimes allows you to put up an even fight.
- U-Throw is now terrible and almost never used to kill, though it was his primary killmove in Smash4 (with trump B-air, which is also gone)
- Stone no longers shieldbreaks, because it doesn't hit twice anymore

All in all, he gained more than he lost directly, but I'm just showing you how many nerfs he received for an already bottom tier character.

Even though if we compare directly to his Smash4 counterpart, he seems better in a vacuum, we need to realize that every other bad character got buffed too. This is not a smart thing to deem Kirby better, just because he got buffs.

Here's why :
By losing his U-Tilt strings, he lost his niche as a pseudo-counterpick to certain fastfallers ( :4falcon::4fox::4sheik:)
He also can't rely on getting the copy ability to get a better shot at certain match-ups, since he can lose it so easily. (:4olimar::4shulk::4bayonetta:)

Most importantly, look at which characters are played in SSBU : Swordies, projectile-heavy zoning characters, and even super heavy weights. This is the kind of characters he had been struggling to face in Smash4, whereas characters that aren't ranged and can take risks that you could punish are very rare, and now Kirby lost his way of getting a lucky opening (shielding).

Which means he went from mostly trash but with decent relevant match-ups to completely trash.

There is currently not a single match-up I can think of that Kirby wins. I'm not even sure if he goes even with someone.

I have not played SSBM and therefore can't compare it, but it wouldn't surprise me if Kirby was closer to the other bad characters than he is now. If we compare it to the top tiers, it's obviously another story, considering how the game was unbalanced (even though it was surprisingly okay for the time).

I'm sorry to say this, but just playing Kirby makes you realize how unbalanced the game is already. I've labbed everything one could think of and know almost all optimized punishes, but I'm doing better with any other character that's easy to play (:ultsnake::ultpalutena::ultchrom:). And it's only two weeks in.

:ulticeclimbers: is a character I had high hopes for from having played the demo. Unfortunately, they got nerfed really hard from it (mostly damage output, but other things got cut). I still played (mostly labbed actually them a lot), and I have mixed feelings about them.

On the one hand, they seem to have so much potential, with already heaps of advanced techniques and desyncs & probably more to come, they can deal a LOT of damage from one grab, their U-air is amazing...

But on the other hand, getting an opening to pull that out in a game is much harder than you'd think.

New powershield makes it impossible for them to approach without one of them getting hit from a mindless projectile spam with no risk involved (and of course if you powershield Popo's attack, you'll auto-powershield Nana's attack). Faster movement means separating them a lot easier (combined with the huge amount of invincibility on throws) & also make desyncs a LOT more risky, especially since they're now a harder commit than in Brawl unless we find a reliable & practical desync.

While they don't instantly lose to swordies like they do to projectiles, it's not exactly easy for them either, considering they can't really do anything to punish thrown hitboxes without shielding, and everything is safe in this game.

Ice Blocks can now be reflected by attacks and will hit the ICs, making it useless against projectiles without being desynched first (which you can't set up if people throw things at you), which basically forces the character to approach in a lot of match-ups. Needless to say, they're not good at doing such a thing.

Nana is absolutely ********, I've even seen a montage of Nana dying by herself.

They have trouble killing (surprisingly), U-air will be stale, B-air is good but hard to land, U-Tilt can set up something but can't confirm it, their smashes have an abyssmal range (why?), they can't edgeguard (obviously) and they lack any kind of killthrow.

I think they can perform decently well against some characters without any kind of good projectile, but they require a ton of work to just be decent, and a lot of match-ups are straight up unplayable (think :ultsnake:).

If I had to rank them, I'd probably say mid tier, with a very optimistic point of view. They will probably be low tier in terms of results for a long time considering how hard it is to not only master them, but just be able to compete, though.

:ultbayonetta: is a very interesting character. When you watch her for a short time, you see her still pulling off some nasty strings/combos and think "Ok, she's still good". But when you watch the whole set, everything falls apart.

Witch time now longer exists (except vs reactable projectiles, such as :ultsamus: or :ultvillager: SideB, which people won't throw out in the first place after seeing that it's range is now bigger), meaning you can now rightfully abuse her long start-ups. The only time where you should watch out for it is at ~90-100%, but even then throwing a smash is less risky. Yes, Bayonetta's super laggy and slow smashes. People punish it with a dashgrab like they did in Smash4, but once they understand that it's even laggier, they will start to dash -> smash.

Her long-range game is basically a non factor at this point. NeutralB was already situationnal (good against tall/big characters), but now it's pretty much useless in the neutral. D-Tilt (bullet arts) got murdered and now has no range (as if a projectile that doesn't cause any flinch was problematic).

Her recovery is now super exploitable, it was already slow in Smash4 but that wasn't a problem at all since you couldn't contest it 90% of the time, but now that Witch Twist doesn't sweetspot, oh boy. When people start to learn to punish her recovery she's successfully dead.

There are lots of unnecessary nerfs here and there too (HeelSlide being now a high risk low reward move, impossible to use a second sideB after hitting a shield, bouncing with SideB on the ledge to recover now randomly making you die if you don't airdodge into the ledge, Bat within killing you if you dare to recover with airdodge now that you don't sweetspot with anything, generally lag everywhere, etc...)

And of course, she can't kill. Except with B-air/F-Throw. Like, at all. Sometimes you ladder people at 100+%, you're already in the blastzone and F-air3 doesn't kill with DI (even though you have the slow-motion). If you could hit people while they're dying in the background, I'm sure that U-air would save them.

Most people that say she's still okay have no idea how she works. You can even see Cpt Zack (which is the person that masters Bayonetta the most in the world) having to go :ultdaisy: when he needs to win. She's still somewhat fun to play, but I feel like she wasn't designed to be able to win in this game.

I'd have loved to say she's still mid tier, but I am convinced she belongs to low tier. She can still see some success here and there, but that's only because people don't abuse her and respect options she doesn't have anymore. Right now she's probably somewhat playable, but if people aren't too lazy to develop the counterplay to her, I don't see her being played at all anymore.

I say she'll fall off even further when people abuse her new weaknesses (and she still has her old ones, which weren't abused by most players). She's a lot better in theory than in practice.

trickroom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
orangeguy1201
Switch FC
SW 6607 1457 7300
I'm going to talk a bit about the 3 characters I've played & labbed the most :ultkirby::ulticeclimbers::ultbayonetta:

While I hate to say it, I wouldn't be surprised if :ultkirby: gets his own tier.

I don't want to explain every general mechanic of the game that he dislikes, there would be too much to talk about, however, here's a list of direct nerfs he received :
- D-air lost 4 frames of advantage on hit, making even D-air to grab escapable. No longer scales with rage to confirm into D-Smash. Offstage, it doesn't confirm into footstool anymore and is an absurdly weak spike.
- F-Throw makes him hop on BF's platforms, making any kind of decent follow-up impossible from what is his most reliable combo starter. Combined with his atrocious platform pressure and overall advantage state, he's downright unplayable on BF. Also a big nerf to the % range of F-Throw UpB.
- Copy abilities are lost super easily for absolutely no reason, rendering all the work you did to acquire it useless with a character that NEEDS copy. A new neutralB can make match-ups go from a hopeless struggle to just an uphill battle, and sometimes allows you to put up an even fight.
- U-Throw is now terrible and almost never used to kill, though it was his primary killmove in Smash4 (with trump B-air, which is also gone)

All in all, he gained more than he lost directly, but I'm just showing you how many nerfs he received for an already bottom tier character.

Even though if we compare directly to his Smash4 counterpart, he seems better in a vacuum, we need to realize that every other bad character got buffed too. This is not a smart thing to deem Kirby better, just because he got buffs.

Here's why :
By losing his U-Tilt strings, he lost his niche as a pseudo-counterpick to certain fastfallers ( :4falcon::4fox::4sheik:)
He also can't rely on getting the copy ability to get a better shot at certain match-ups, since he can lose it so easily. (:4olimar::4shulk::4bayonetta:)

Most importantly, look at which characters are played in SSBU : Swordies, projectile-heavy zoning characters, and even super heavy weights. This is the kind of characters he had been struggling to face in Smash4, whereas characters that aren't ranged and can take risks that you could punish are very rare, and now Kirby lost his way of getting a lucky opening (shielding).

Which means he went from mostly trash but with decent relevant match-ups to completely trash.

There is currently not a single match-up I can think of that Kirby wins. I'm not even sure if he goes even with someone.

I have not played SSBM and therefore can't compare it, but it wouldn't surprise me if Kirby was closer to the other bad characters than he is now. If we compare it to the top tiers, it's obviously another story, considering how the game was unbalanced (even though it was surprisingly okay for the time).

I'm sorry to say this, but just playing Kirby makes you realize how unbalanced the game is already. I've labbed everything one could think of and know almost all optimized punishes, but I'm doing better with any other character that's easy to play (:ultsnake::ultpalutena::ultchrom:). And it's only two weeks in.
I think this post is on the money with regard to Kirby. The amount of indirect nerfs completely kicked his ass, and is almost in a league of his own in bad-ness right now. Kirby does not feel 'competitive' the way the other Ultimate low-tiers (e.g. mii sword, dedede, game and watch) do.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
The only character who seems "clearly bad" to me is G&W. His new fair looks really neat until you play with it and find that it loses to literally everything, including moves that come out later. Much of his d-throw combos that he used as a crutch are gone, and his d-tilt and uair are quite poor now. His staples, like bair and nair, still work well enough but simply haven't kept up with the Jones in terms of damage.

On top of all this, the new animations across his moveset have broadly worse disjoint and larger hurtboxes.

We can debate characters like Kirby or Mewtwo or Robin, who have had many things changed radically in both directions, but G&W is just pretty much strictly worse. Little QoL changes like better Chef or reflecting Bucket are meaningless next to not having a fair in his moveset.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
I've been saying from the start that Kirby has a decent kit, he's just severely gimped by the game's new standard and so falls below the curve.

He's low tier in the sense that he's ill-equipped to deal with the current state of the game. Not in the Melee sense where he's just a bad character.

That, and i feel like his specials are pretty whack. Hammer consistently seems to become poor in every game and I cannot for the life of me understand why. It's like Smash4 Zelda phantom levels of worthless. Should have just stuck with the Brawl one.

Kirby will probably perform very well against the less mobile members of the cast, and ones that don't rely much on aerial prowess. But pretty much everyone's aerial game got buffed hard in this game so..

The Inhale woes are what caused me to conclude that Kirby isn't worth playing.

1) Inhale is a relatively high-risk move, and without it Kirby basically doesn't have a functional neutral B. Inhale's break still scales very poorly with damage so it even has limited gimp potential unless your opponent just doesn't know to rotate the analog stick.

2) Inhaling projectiles is somewhere between underwhelming and downright stupid because it only heals 1% (no matter what) and smaller ones lock Kirby in a ridiculous recovery animation that pretty much guarantees a punish. It's honestly better to move, or just get shot 90% of the time.

3) The new copy strength is certainly amazing, almost so much so that it's worth it to get it and can turn the tables of Kirby's matchups pretty easily. But being able to potentially lose it immediately in a jab string is just stupid as ****.
Honestly Inhale hasn’t really been a good gimping move since probably Brawl. If you’re not going for Copy, you pretty much use it to get around shields on platforms or to get stage control with a spit off stage. All other uses are blatantly gimmicky save for spitting certain projectiles back as stars when you get the chance and even this is super situational.

I believe its RNG drop rate is it’s only glaring issue when it comes to Kirby’s viability as a fighter. But it’s a pressing issue nevertheless and if the rate of loss is indeed higher it needs to corrected eventually for Kirby to have a shot at being a true contender. His Copy Abiltiy is more essential to his success overall than ever, and potentially losing the powers more easily just makes it harder to abuse to its full potential than it should be.

Rizen

Smash Legend
It's funny :ultincineroar: got none of the attacks that made it good in competitive pokemon (fake out, flare blitz, knock off).

What is the general consensus of low tiers? :ultbowserjr::ultkirby::ultlucas::ultpacman::ultdarksamus::ultsamus::ultgnw: are what I've heard but IDK all them. Maybe :ultkingdedede:?

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
It's funny :ultincineroar: got none of the attacks that made it good in competitive pokemon (fake out, flare blitz, knock off).

What is the general consensus of low tiers? :ultbowserjr::ultkirby::ultlucas::ultpacman::ultdarksamus::ultsamus::ultgnw: are what I've heard but IDK all them. Maybe :ultkingdedede:?
We've spilled a disproportionate amount of ink on :ultkirby: already. Honestly, worse grabs and fewer people shielding is probably the worst news for him.

:ultbowserjr: has the same neutral problems but is imo being dismissed way too much. Repeating myself here, but the hurtbox priority change means that Bowser Jr. is taking 0.88x damage against tons of things that were doing 1.15x damage before, a massive shift--that by itself is just huge. He also loves that his high-damage-high-knockback jab actually links, and loves having a 3f jumpsquat since he was always an aerial character. I think his core flaws still exist, but these are pretty significant changes that I just don't see much chatter about.

My guess is that a lot of :ultlucas:'s future comes down to nair, and I guess how practical PK Freeze is off-stage. I remain skeptical--c'mon guys, if you can dodge Din's fire, you can dodge this.

:ultpacman:'s standing is all about shields. This is the character who hated shields more than anyone else in Smash 4, full stop. And now shielding is less good. Even before we take into account the big grab buff and havign more safety on shield, this is a very big shift for Pac. While he HATES people being faster (like all Zoners), the shift away from shields takes priority.

I'm bullish on :ultsamus::ultdarksamus:, within reason. It just all comes down to Charge Shot. She needs to land way fewer of them per stock to win, charging them is easier, and shielding them is risky. She also appreciates fewer shields in the meta, as well as things like usable rolls, grab, and a vaguely kill throw. This is the first time I enjoy playing Samus.

I think :ultgnw: sucks, as described above. I have no idea what anyone could see in him currently. He's better than the bottom tiers of previous games for sure (let's not go crazy here), just by virtue of having a respectable mix of decent disjoint, decent power, and decent speed. He has no crazy weaknesses, outside of low weight and not having a fair. But 73 other characters do better than "decent" somewhere in their kit, and those who do have big weaknesses also come with huge strengths.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master

Here's why :

____
Those nerfs are heavily exaggerated.

1) The mechanics of Ultimate has buffed him a lot. He now has a ground speed you have to respect, and the ability to dash cancel is a godsend to a character that utilizes tilts very heavily. Down tilt in particular has it's ability to combo improved, and the nerfs to shielding makes it a good poking tool (albeit not Chrom down tilt levels of good poking). I think the fact that people doesn't put up shielding as often as in SSB4 is a buff more than a nerf, as opponents are no longer inclined to block Kirby's button.
2) As you said before, the up tilt strings is a mere psuedo-counterpick against fastfallers. He does better against them than other low tiers in SSB4, but it is still tricky. In Ultimate, his up tilt has more range (which compliments the above-mentioned dash canceling) and the increased knockback of the up tilt makes it easier to connect to his other aerials, potentially putting offstage (which I will get to later). This makes it more applicable to all matchups on not just fastfallers.
3) Down air is actually much more potent in this game due to the mechanic changes, and that is where Kirby's biggest strength is: he has one of the scariest edgeguarding games in the game. Edgeguarding in SSB4 was harder for Kirby as you can airdodge off of everything. In this game, you only have one airdodge, which means that Kirby can infintely followup after your airdodge, which makes down air a frightening option. If the spike doesn't instantly KO, Kirby can easily insert another one. Almost all, if not all, does not do very well at all against Kirby offstage. Onstage, Kirby can still easily followup opponents into down air. If they airdodge away, you get a dash attack KO for your troubles.
4) Kirby's grab did indeed get nerfed, but grabbing in this game in general is not the best option. This would've been a big blow to him if it was SSB4. Granted that it does affect him negatively, but it shields away other applicable options he can do. His aerials has got a good cut in landing lag (pretty much at Melee Puff levels), to the point that he can pressure opponents in defense and get great followups from it. Again, the shield mechanic changes and improved grounded approach (as well as remaining a small character) make it an option you have to respect (although against swordies, it is harder to do).
5) Up throw was only slightly nerfed in KO power. It wasn't the most reliable KO throw anyways.
6) I keep hearing that Copy Ability is easier to get knocked out, but I am not really seeing evidence that it is true. From the changelog lists I've seen, when he loses the copy power is unchanged from SSB4.
7) Basing it off of stuff you only found in two weeks and finding better success with other easier characters to play (although the characters you did select are much better characters) is flawed reasoning to say that the character is terrible. You can say that you found better success with Donkey Kong than with Peach because DK is a much easier character to play, but only two weeks have passed and Peach has more depth.

The only reason why he is one of the most underwhelming characters in the game (not arguing that he is bottom 5), is because he still have low reach and his air speed is still relatively small. The fact that swordies that swing their swords like empty water bottles lurk in the upper tiers, does not help. But he is not a bad character, just outclassed by the fact that the entire cast is decent at worst, while still having issues. Mark my words though: when Kirby gets a buff to his moveset's range and his air speed, watch him shoot up the tier list (if his feet had Brawl range, he lowkey would be at the upper high tier).

The only character who seems "clearly bad" to me is G&W. His new fair looks really neat until you play with it and find that it loses to literally everything, including moves that come out later. Much of his d-throw combos that he used as a crutch are gone, and his d-tilt and uair are quite poor now. His staples, like bair and nair, still work well enough but simply haven't kept up with the Jones in terms of damage.

On top of all this, the new animations across his moveset have broadly worse disjoint and larger hurtboxes.

We can debate characters like Kirby or Mewtwo or Robin, who have had many things changed radically in both directions, but G&W is just pretty much strictly worse. Little QoL changes like better Chef or reflecting Bucket are meaningless next to not having a fair in his moveset.
That is because his new fair's purpose isn't to randomly use it neutral (his back air already does that well, and it now has buffed KO power). It's main purpose is to catch approaches at certain ranges and edgeguard opponents, which it does very well. Even if the opponent throws out a hitbox offstage, he can easily followup with another aerial.

His up air is probably one of the most busted juggling options in the entire game: the projectile is fast, G&W can shoot it really fast, and the damage of it racks up really fat. Down throw, although they did remove his "toot toot" KO confirm (it was hard to land anyways), is still a decent combo throw, which is alright considering that grab combos is nerfed across the board.

His disjoint is a little worse than in SSB4, but they are still decent disjoints. I won't argue that down tilt is strictly worse than before, but the ability to run cancel into down tilt is somewhat a compensation. Running forward tilt a G&W is pretty good option he can do now.

He has a really fun time with the airdodge mechanics. Sending opponents offstage is practically a death sentence against G&W, especially since back air has absurdly strong knockback off the stage (SSB4 MK's back air on steroids). His recovery being very strong is also a really good boon to G&W in a game where edgeguarding is easier and recoveries are nerfed.

Last edited:

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
You missed one. Usmash had its startup reduced by 3 frames, now being frame 21 instead of frame 24, but to compensate, its invincibility doesn't start until it's active, whereas before it started frame 4. This kills so much of Usmash's utility. In Smash 4, its early invuln made it useful in scramble situations, and made landing against G&W really scary. It was safe on shield, it killed, and it beat most things that weren't grabs or dtilts. Now, it's just a generic slow-but-safe smash attack, except it has neither the range of MK or Mewtwo nor the hurtbox shifting of Wolf. It basically never trades, but that's practically meaningless on a move that powerful; he was going to win the trade anyway.

I don't even think there's a consensus on what "low-tier" means in this game yet.

That is because his new fair's purpose isn't to randomly use it neutral (his back air already does that well, and it now has buffed KO power). It's main purpose is to catch approaches at certain ranges and edgeguard opponents, which it does very well.
No, it really doesn't. Like Thinkaman said, Fair loses to everything. If you have a hitbox on your Up-B, it'll beat G&W fair. If you throw out a non-grab hitbox while approaching, it'll beat G&W fair. If you press just about any fast button after G&W hits you with the first hit of fair, you'll beat G&W fair. Hell, you can literally jump through the bomb and it won't hit you unless it hits the ground or times out first. It doesn't work for edgeguarding or zoning because it doesn't ****ing work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom