• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Community strength

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Is it just me or did the Sheik forum recently got a rather large increase in activity? ~Knocks on wood~

You see about 22 days ago I causally made a list which I believe to be pretty accurate at the time on who came to the Sheik forum the most, which was Imdavid, Chromepirate, Ankoku, Squidster, and myself. Of course there were other like Cobra and Choknater just to name a few but they didn’t post as much.

Imdavid doesn’t show up that much now because he’s in china but he was quite active until then ><

Anyways back then we of course did have random visitors randomly appear to give their two cents half the time that of which didn’t have Sheik as their main but overall we didn’t have much activity at all.

Now when I look around I see so many unfamiliar fresh faces that I’m beginning to feel that we are in fact becoming a true poplar community and not just a bunch of random people link purely because we use the same character.

Am I alone thinking this way?

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
I agree that the Sheik forum has gotten a good increase in activity in the past week or two, and it have become more popular. I used to surf through the Sheik forum for about a month or two to see what was developing, then I decided to make an account and start making some contributions to my favorite character of all time :D There have also been a number of useful threads regarding Sheik's metagame popping up in the last month such as the Matchup Thread, Frame Data, F-Tilt locks and follow ups, the Chain thread, Sheik Tricks Vol.1, and the Reference Thread. On top of that, some new Sheik forum members have been posting their videos online and asking questions (and getting good answers too).

With the current resources available (like good guides and a healthy number of highly active members giving advice and trailblazing Sheik's game), I believe more people are become attracted (or crawling back) to Sheik as her potential and strength is becoming more apparent. Overall, its a great thing for the Sheik forums; I remember when it used to be like a ghost-town (or that abandoned Sheikah village in Twilight Princess XD ).

Go Sheik!!

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
People are really starting to realise that Sheik is not the same as Melee Sheik, and she shouldn't be, since she has all these new awesome ways of magical ninja pwn.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I picked up Sheik about a week ago and I've been reading these boards a lot since then.

I never gave Sheik a second thought before. I didn't play her in Melee and didn't really see any reason to in Brawl. But then something just clicked and it started making sense.

So, here I am.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Well I was a Sheik main in Melee, from beginning to end. After experiencing the horrific disappointment trying to needle cancel in my first Brawl match, I shunned the ninja and moved on to newer characters.

Though it has been fun, without Sheik it just doesn't feel right. Decided to pick her up again from ground up assuming I know nothing of her, and now it just feels right all over again.

I've come back to Sheik, and having more time now for games I should be around the forums more often too.

I have to say this though:

A moment of silence, everyone, for the loss of Needle Canceling. It will be missed.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
I think its zeldas trying to find a use for sheik.
XD

i actually didn't much like sheik in melee... but one day in brawl i got bored of playing zelda and decided to take a break from her and changed to sheik. sure, i lost HORRIBLY, but i had a lot fo fun doing it XD. then i think i checked this community for a sheik guide to see the basics, and i figured out a rudimentary idea of what moves to use and what moves not to use.

now i actually use sheik MORE than zelda, and i even get KOs, too!! :p

even so, when i'm REALLY losing badly to someone i'll change to zelda and own them. unless they're still better than me, in which case i just don't get 3-stocked. :laugh:

but yeah, sheik is pretty much the most fun character i play... (zelda, sheik, jiggs, zamus, though i'm looking into ness)

**edit: actually, i DID main sheik for a while in melee... LIFE STORY TIME: then eventually switched to zelda because i SUCKED with zelda and needed to balance the two... but then i discovered internet communities and realized sheik was overused and local people started getting mad at me for playing a top tier character, so i cut off sheik altogether and was purely zelda. well, zelda sucked so bad in melee that i eventually (after like two years) decided to take a break, and i picked up jiggs, ness, and samus.

then brawl came out and sheik, jiggs, and samus all sucked anyway and i already switched to lucas rather than ness... i got the hang of zero suit pretty quickly, and eventually dropped lucas for lack of fun (i dunno. i just don't want to be lucas most of the time). then in a wifi battle just for fun i picked jiggs and realized he still has a lot of potential... i already told you how i started using sheik... and through a lot of wifi battles versus ness and after beating earthbound i really want to play ness as well (though i haven't gotten around to it).

demodemo

Smash Ace
i was decent with her in melee, mained peach and samus.

When I first played brawl i tried samus, which i hated immediately, could not play peach because of the second jump, and i felt sheik was changed the least in terms of technical means. (of course her KO power was reduced, but her moveset was pretty much unchanged)

I started maining her from the first day, and also lurked on the sheik forums for a very long time. I only joined recently because I felt I would have to join some day, and better now then later.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
3 weeks ago? thats purty accurate. I don't like posting in brawl boards much but I do a lot of lurking. The sheik forum in becoming an exception to that rule.

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
I mained Sheik from Day 1 with Brawl :D I also mained her in Melee, but I am starting to like her Brawl incarnation much more. There seems to be more variety and thought required for the approaches, setups, and KO's.

It looks like many people quickly dismissed Sheik after the first few tries since many of her Melee strengths were toned down; but of course, Sheik plays differently in Brawl and it took some time for people to realize that she's still fun and can still dish out the ownage. Once they're hooked on Sheik, its hard to go back; who DOESN'T enjoy unleashing the ninja??

-dMT-

Smash Lord
It looks like many people quickly dismissed Sheik after the first few tries since many of her Melee strengths were toned down; but of course, Sheik plays differently in Brawl and it took some time for people to realize that she's still fun and can still dish out the ownage. Once they're hooked on Sheik, its hard to go back; who DOESN'T enjoy unleashing the ninja??
Well said. QFT.

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
I'm a new Sheik player. Couldn't stand her in melee (Falcon and Ganondorf was where it was at). I didn't even bother to try Sheik in brawl. After watching Ankoku's Sheik trick's V1. vid it made me want to try Sheik out. I tried her and loved the way she played. Sheik has been the most fun I've had since I started using Lucario (a month ago). So now I use Sheik along with Zelda.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm surprised someone would pick up Sheik solely on a little video I made during my spare time just to demonstrate what people have been talking about on the Sheik boards for a while.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
I'm surprised someone would pick up Sheik solely on a little video I made during my spare time just to demonstrate what people have been talking about on the Sheik boards for a while.
Videos are probably the best way to attract players to a character. A solid combo video would probably bring in a stampede of new people to the forums. If only I could record my games -_-'

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Videos are probably the best way to attract players to a character. A solid combo video would probably bring in a stampede of new people to the forums. If only I could record my games -_-'
Not to sound like a fan boy but especially if a combo video was released from gimpyfish.

...Thinking of which I haven't heard/seen anything from him in a while...I wonder if he finally gave up on smash?

orochijes

Smash Journeyman
Maybe people are just getting over being upset at the changes.
About time...

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
you'd be surprised how many times i've heard mention of how awesome the recent sheik videos and the "sheik tricks vol. 1" thread are on different boards.

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
I find videos to be a great way of showcasing a character's abilities and strengths, since it shows someone whose new to Sheik how she can be played... without having to actually play her. Some people just have trouble seeing the potential, or can't translate instructions into actions when it comes to trying new characters out. One good example would probably be Sheik's Boost Smash, which is immensely difficult to execute, yet it drops jaws like when new players watch Samus perform the Super Wave Dash in Melee :)

I can't wait for Sheik Tricks, Vol. 2 to come out :D These videos even get me excited even though I've been maining Sheik for a while! I'd also love to see a Combo video, or a demonstration video for F-Tilt Locks (showcasing all the possible F-Tilt Lock candidates) or a frame-by-frame Boost Smash analysis thats solely for Sheik. That's be hella awesome :]

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Honestly I only really enjoy playing underated under developed characters, once sheik blows up I'll probably switch back to peachu. For the time being though I really enjoy maining sheik and helping the community to develop her in these early stages.

Rogue

Smash Cadet
As a Sheik/Zelda lover from Melee, I gravitated instantly towards the newly buffed Zelda. Zelda had lots of upgrades, and Sheik felt a little weird and sluggish.

But as the metagame quickly formed, and I realized how linear and easily defeated Zelda's tricks are, I noticed how much better I was doing with Sheik as I've had time to re-learn her. It's actually quite funny to me how ftilt spam can still a big part of the Sheik game. :laugh:

I'm surely behind the curve with the Sheik tactics but I've found it useful to switch to Zelda lately at opportune times for the kill. For some rare matchups (not many that I've seen of late) playing as Zelda is the better route. You wouldn't have ever seen this in Melee. I think Sheik has some unique tricks up her sleeve that she never had before. Boost smashing is very thrilling when it works (and kills!).

That's my personal feel on it anyhow. I've played a lot of Melee and Brawl characters, but I keep coming back to the ninja. Maybe I'll post around more here. :bee:

Tristan_win

Not dead.
You should Rogue as we in the Brawl Sheik forum are always accepted new members and if you manage to put up a few matches we might even be able to give you some advise or praise if you kick ***.

Anyways I'm sadden that you will leave us <3 when Sheik becomes more main stream but that's not going to happen for quite a while since currently we are like the 5th least active forum on the boards, hopefully you will change your mind by then but if you don't you will be missed ^_^

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
this is probably my favorite character community on SWF. people are really nice and respectable, while still being cool and funny (even if they aren't trying to be). what's even better, is that i haven't run into any blatantly trolling members here (unlike my second favorite community, the jiggly community -because jiggs mains are so loyal, despite jiggs's general badness-).

so yeah, i guess what this post is saying is "thanks, sheik community. you're awesome."

Rogue

Smash Cadet
I'd put up matches but I've got nothing to record with, and don't know anything about it. I actually think I'm pretty decently good (not superb, but above average). The constructive criticism would be wonderful.

I don't read much on the Smash Boards anymore. I used to lurk a little but.. well I think some people are a little too intense. Even people with some prestige. Super elitism and trolling, etc. I dunno. I don't see any of that here, which is pretty cool.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Ninja forums ftw.

I wish I had some good recording equipment as well. I'd want to be more active, with videos.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
I had used Zelda/Sheik in Melee and I couldn't wait for them in Brawl, and with all the buffs Zelda received it was hard to use Sheik (especially losing my first few FFAs as Sheik lol) It's taken some time but I love dominating with Zelda/Sheik, and using either of them in the appropriate moment of a battle.

I've lurked around the Sheik boards for a while because I couldn't neglect Sheik completely; taking in these techniques have been so instrumental to getting my Sheik back in shape. She is just to much fun to use, and now I can solve all my matchup problems between the two alter egos of Zelda.

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
I had used Zelda/Sheik in Melee and I couldn't wait for them in Brawl, and with all the buffs Zelda received it was hard to use Sheik (especially losing my first few FFAs as Sheik lol) It's taken some time but I love dominating with Zelda/Sheik, and using either of them in the appropriate moment of a battle.

I've lurked around the Sheik boards for a while because I couldn't neglect Sheik completely; taking in these techniques have been so instrumental to getting my Sheik back in shape. She is just to much fun to use, and now I can solve all my matchup problems between the two alter egos of Zelda.
Yeah definitely! Who doesn't love F-Tilt locking your opponent into oblivion XD haha.

Also, having Zelda at your disposal is a nice advantage since it can help Sheik land that difficult KO move AND it also refreshes your attack-decay. Occasionally, there are certain matchups where playing as Zelda gives you the advantage. Having two characters at your disposal definitely adds to the depth, fun, flexibility, and excitement of Sheik (and Zelda :]).

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Yeah definitely! Who doesn't love F-Tilt locking your opponent into oblivion XD haha.

Also, having Zelda at your disposal is a nice advantage since it can help Sheik land that difficult KO move AND it also refreshes your attack-decay. Occasionally, there are certain matchups where playing as Zelda gives you the advantage. Having two characters at your disposal definitely adds to the depth, fun, flexibility, and excitement of Sheik (and Zelda :]).
Haha! Unexpected Dash Canceled USmash FTW!!! XD

It's really nice to be able to refresh either by transforming (because the alternative to refreshing costs a stock :laugh:) Having both characters as you said just gives so much ability to adapt mid-match and repair any disadvantage you have.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If everyone came here just because Gimpyfish decided to play Sheik for all of two weeks, I'm quitting this game. -_-

Rogue

Smash Cadet
Considering Gimpyfish came and left.. can't see how it can be a great influence for people. >_>

Fun Sheik is fun.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
lol, I wouldn't blame you.

Gimpy awesome and all but it's just plan silly if someone pick up a character just because he uses them.

ThaRoy

Smash Journeyman
People probably when going to the other character boards saw a new topic that caught their interest in the latest post on the board. They clicked it and browsed. That's why I'm posting this XD

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Well, i'm probably one of the numbers that is creating the anomaly you speak of Tristan_win, maybe there are others similarly situated. I mained Zelda first segment of time with Brawl. Then i decided that it would behoove my tourney-validity to pick up Sheik as a secondary. I still used Zelda a lot of a time because she felt more natural to my play style and because Sheik is tough to use, and also simply because when i first had access to the game two characters was too much. After i finished tying my right shoe lace (yes, this is a metaphor), i started giving more attention to my Sheik and working with what she could do. I read the Sheik boards a lot, but forgot sometimes simply because i have Zelda's character forum bookmarked to get to this site, not Sheik. (blended forum now please >< ).
And while tying my left shoe, i felt like i still sucked too much at tying left shoes to comment on the practice of tying left shoes, which was exaggerated by the lovely double knot i had woven on my right shoe. But now, i feel like i can say more, and definitely have at least a foothold on the character.

And gimpyfish kind of made me want to post more. Not as a fan (though i am), quite so much as a desire to balance out "Ohmigosh look gimpy played Sheik for two weeks" with some discussion of the character.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Well, i'm probably one of the numbers that is creating the anomaly you speak of Tristan_win, maybe there are others similarly situated. I mained Zelda first segment of time with Brawl. Then i decided that it would behoove my tourney-validity to pick up Sheik as a secondary. I still used Zelda a lot of a time because she felt more natural to my play style and because Sheik is tough to use, and also simply because when i first had access to the game two characters was too much. After i finished tying my right shoe lace (yes, this is a metaphor), i started giving more attention to my Sheik and working with what she could do. I read the Sheik boards a lot, but forgot sometimes simply because i have Zelda's character forum bookmarked to get to this site, not Sheik. (blended forum now please >< ).
And while tying my left shoe, i felt like i still sucked too much at tying left shoes to comment on the practice of tying left shoes, which was exaggerated by the lovely double knot i had woven on my right shoe. But now, i feel like i can say more, and definitely have at least a foothold on the character.

And gimpyfish kind of made me want to post more. Not as a fan (though i am), quite so much as a desire to balance out "Ohmigosh look gimpy played Sheik for two weeks" with some discussion of the character.

Well gimpy three-stocking futile was pretty impressive to ppl... so....... I wouldn't doubt it.

It doesn't matter, some of the newcomers will probably just move onto snake or something

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I like ninjas

edit:

If everyone came here just because Gimpyfish decided to play Sheik for all of two weeks, I'm quitting this game. -_-
I'm almost convinced that it's 100% true.
We all know Gimpyfish basically has the biggest amount of fans then any other smasher. This morning, when I went on the "Free-Play" AllisBrawl chat room, I saw people talking about Gimpyfish's Sheik videos and how they wanted to try out Sheik. They were also very eager to see the combo video he spoke off in the works. It was the first time since I joined that site that I saw any live discussion about Brawl Sheik in a chat room :p

Top Bottom