• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Community Patch Notes v1.03

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Alright guys so there is a 1.03 patch for Smash 4 that contains vague "balance changes for a more pleasant experience" according to the official site. Since Nintendo won't do it, let's figure out our own patch notes!

Check out your mains, character sub boards, and ask your friends what they feel is different in the game now. We'll compile it into one list so we everyone can figure out what's different balance-wise.

Is G&W + Pikachu still OP? Do your mains moves still kill at the same percent? Let's dig deep!

POSSIBLE CHANGE FOUND:
- There are reports that multi hit attacks (not including jabs) now land more consistently especially against airborne opponents. Attacks noted include ZSS up B, ZSS side B, MK side B, Fox up B, and Shulk's smashes. Needs further testing/proof to confirm if real.

Debunked things:
- No balance changes have been found on any character yet (i.e. Shulk, Wario, Peach, ZSS, etc)
- Shields do not deteroirate faster (by holding shield, not tested by attacks yet) nor do they recharge slower
- Game & Pikachu still in
- Wario bugs (phantom bike hit thing, weird DI) still in
- Peach tech/bugs still in, peach unchanged
- Down B item throw landing lag cancel still in
- Rosaluma "infinite" still in (I heard SDI inwards beats this but w/e)
- All Yoshi bugs including custom move bugs

Non-balance related changes found so far:
- Conquest mode no longer tells you who is winning in the middle of a conquest now
- "They fixed a glitch in the For Glory records where your play time would be listed as [total hours]:[total minutes] instead of [total hours]:[total minutes % 60]. That is, a play time of 2:30 would have displayed as 2:150 before the update." [Reddit user AltPerspective0]
- "Mii Fighters" info box now says "Create a unique fighter based on a Mii character!" rather than "... on an a Mii character"[Reddit user t_j_k]
- Different block sizes by region(?) [ @Aerodrome ]

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
edit: nothing so far appears changed in total, only from word of mouth.

I'll check and see if anything major looks changed.

Last edited:
@ SamuraiPanda SamuraiPanda Are you like 100% sure that Shulk's f-air got even more of an increase and less landing lag?

I know you're exhausted but if you can, can you do it again please? :(

Last edited:

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
@ SamuraiPanda SamuraiPanda Are you like 100% sure that Shulk's f-air got even more of an increase and less landing lag?

I know you're exhausted but if you can, can you do it again please? :(
I am not sure, which is why I asked on the Shulk boards lol. I'd need to compare to old videos which I can't do right now because I'm about to sleep.

edit: nothing so far appears changed in total, only from word of mouth.

I'll check and see if anything major looks changed.
If anything I'd imagine there would be more subtle changes than huge ones. I'm expected balance tweaks rather than system wide mechanic differences.

I'd definitely be disappointed if nobody found anything they changed.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I am not sure, which is why I asked on the Shulk boards lol. I'd need to compare to old videos which I can't do right now because I'm about to sleep.

If anything I'd imagine there would be more subtle changes than huge ones. I'm expected balance tweaks rather than system wide mechanic differences.

I'd definitely be disappointed if nobody found anything they changed.
I doubt nothing was changed if they released a patch, something was changed and I'm gonna go ADD on this game to find out what.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Better set someone to checking items and equipment. Wouldn't be surprised at all if that was the main target.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I've played around for like 15 minutes on the new patch trying to see if anything was changed. I could still rush cancel, still get 3 buckets in one thunder, Luma still has 52 hp, and noticed no real changes other than maybe little Mac's Up B in the air going like nowhere. The last thing might have always been that way though as I haven't really played him much.

Last edited:

freesubs

Smash Rookie
NNID
FreeSubs
can anyone test to see if rolling speed has changed? Browsing reddit and that keeps coming up

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Have people also checked damage values on moves? It's possible that the changes could be as small as something like that.

Shulk's f-smash range is shorter but the knockback is better from what I noticed

F-air has longer range and less landing lag Edit: Might be hallucinating in this one

Last edited:

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
MK/Marth ranges are the same
Rosaluma has no changes
Rolls are the same
Little Mac Up-B the same

All I've been seeing so far is a bunch of people who have their own mind tricking them into thinking changes they want to see are actually there.

Last edited:

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Seriously, I hope super vague balance patches do not become the norm for this game.

Shulk's f-smash range is shorter but the knockback is better from what I noticed

F-air has longer range and less landing lag
I saw this repeated somewhere else. Has it been tested against verified pre-patch stats? Otherwise, it's all heresy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw this repeated somewhere else. Has it been tested against verified pre-patch stats? Otherwise, it's all heresy.
To be honest, this might be all hallucination but something feels very off about it. Very. I've been playing Shulk but the f-air seems different.

Key word: Seems. I'm not positive though. Direct video comparisons are needed

EDIT: Nintendo probably edited out some glitches. I don't think they messed around with the frame data or any attributes of some characters

Last edited:

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455

F-air has longer range and less landing lag Edit: Might be hallucinating in this one
I found video to compare to for at least FSmash. It's the same.

Fair could be different, I can't find anything good to compare to. Since even you're questioning yourself on it though, I'm going to guess it wasn't changed.

Last edited:
I found video to compare to for at least FSmash. It's the same.

Fair could be different, I can't find anything good to compare to. Since even you're questioning yourself on it though, I'm going to guess it wasn't changed.
Yeah. I don't know. The fact that I'm questioning myself means that whatever changes there are, it probably doesn't matter if there are any if the changes are very minuscule or non-existent

They probably edited the glitches in the game

Last edited:

CondorCorrect

Smash Rookie
As far as Peach goes, Turnip canceling, ledge pulling, and the weird turnip farming glitch are all still in. Haven't noticed any changes to her moves, but someone more qualified than me could test that more accurately, I'm sure.

RanserSSF4

Banned via Administration
NNID
RanserSSF4
i've read on reddit that someone confirmed that shields degenerate faster, but regenerate much slower than before. not entirely 100% if this is true or not. someone test this please?

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer

You're crazy. All the hypothetical Shulk changes look placebo to me. I've tested it almost exclusively since the patch dropped.

EDIT: To clarify. Fair, as it seems to be the one most highlighted, seems from my testing to be:

The same amount of negative on block.
The same amount of endlag in air.
The same amount of start-up.
The same range.

Unless they've changed damage values on it from some form or other (I'll admit I never learned the damage numbers on a move I used almost exclusively as an edge guarding tool), then I doubt it is changed.

Last edited:

JipC

Smash Journeyman
You can probably test stuff via replays. If it desyncs something changed since replays are handled just by recording inputs I think
Edit: Also if you have 1.02 maybe you can collaborate with someone who has 1.03, or if you're really desperate and have the game digitally just clear all your Smash data then redownload

Last edited:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I would likely check Greninja, Sheik, Bowser, Mac, Rosaluma, Zelda, Ganon, ZSS, Ike, and any other character that you think is likely to have an incredibly high win rate in online play modes (read: not just For Glory). Those statistics are going to be the only thing I can see overt balance changes being made based on. If you find nothing there, it likely only fixed some glitch or glitches that may or may not have hurt the game. Check your roll canceled grabs, your jump canceled star punches, and any other such tech.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
Someone test G&W/villager/whoever else and their ability to get OHKOs?

Also yoshi teleport glitches

Last edited:

RanserSSF4

NNID
RanserSSF4
i just tested shields. someone confirmed on reddit it changed and i think they are right. shields degenerate faster and regenerate slower. before, it took 7 to 8 seconds at most to have 100% shield again. i counted the same amount, and this time, i only got 60% shield left. in order to gain back 100% shield, you need to wait 10 or more seconds. hadn't tested shield stun though.

Pib319

Smash Rookie
Just tested shield with Jigglypuff. It takes the exact same amount of time to break as before, at least with jigglypuff.

Also, Yoshi super jump glitch is still in.

Last edited:

MrFrigid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3259-2884-2790
Idk about shield degeneration, but regeneration seems to have been slowed. Which is great, not shielding enough is one of my weakspots. Sidestepping ALL DAY.

I really hope they add more specific patch notes in the future. I spammed them with like 12 messages so far asking for more specific patch notes on future updates, if enough people do the same they'll probably start doing so.

Last edited:

RanserSSF4

NNID
RanserSSF4
Idk about shield degeneration, but regeneration seems to have been slowed. Which is great, not shielding enough is one of my weakspots. Sidestepping ALL DAY.

I really hope they add more specific patch notes in the future. I spammed them with like 12 messages so far asking for more specific patch notes on future updates, if enough people do the same they'll probably start doing so.
from what i tested, the regenerated part i think is true. it doesn't regenerate as fast as before

Lex__

Smash Journeyman
I have an unpatched version of the game, what do you want tested, ill record it and you can compare it with another recording. Lets stop this mispread of maybe information its stupid and getting out of hand.

Serac

Smash Cadet
I´m sorry for imposing since I don't own the game yet, but can someone check if they did something to the hit-boxes in Link's grab and Fsmash? (Link's grab didn't trigger on the claw shot tip, the Fsmash misses if the foe is too close, my only source is the demo though).
Thanks.

JoeInky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JoeInky
3DS FC
4596-9442-7695
Went jiggly in training on a JP 1.02 and a UK 1.03, held shield on both of them at the exact same time until it was almost broke, let go and waited 5 seconds for them to recharge a bit and then held shield again until it broke.

They both broke at the same time, there are no changes to shields.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
My initial testing: ZSS seems completely unchanged.

The only potential change here is that side-b has not randomly failed for me yet (where the inside hitbox launches them too far for the bigger hitbox to connect).

Whatever changes they made are probably not very substantial.

Last edited:

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
I have a feeling whatever was changed will be some esoteric feature someone needs to use a magnifying glass to spot.

MrFrigid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3259-2884-2790
I have a feeling whatever was changed will be some esoteric feature someone needs to use a magnifying glass to spot.
That's what it seems to be AT THE MOMENT, since noone can confirm with video proof that anything has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom