• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Commentators at EVO 2013

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Wife and Wobbles. Done.

Like I said before, commentary in the style of me, waffles, phil, sliq etc is not good for this tournament since hundreds non-smashers (but potential smashers) will be watching. we need people who's good at explaining the basics so someone whos never played smash (competitively) understands.
phil&waffles are the ****ing kings tho. a "best of" video would blow mine (right here) out of the water

Revven

FrankerZ
Like I said before, commentary in the style of me, waffles, phil, sliq etc is not good for this tournament since hundreds non-smashers (but potential smashers) will be watching. we need people who's good at explaining the basics so someone whos never played smash (competitively) understands.
phil&waffles are the ****ing kings tho. a "best of" video would blow mine (in my sig) out of the water
Yep, most people will have to come to terms with this. It's not even just going to be hundreds watching, thousands will be, and we need to appeal to their needs and that is helping them understand the game and what's going on.

Also, I agree with clowsui about dogy. Guy has some issues with the community and everytime Shroomed was playing he'd knock him for what he was doing; bringing down the hype in some way.

Maybe prog or D1 can comment on him, but after watching his twitter for the last month and half, I'm not really psyched about dogy as I used to be.

He thinks nobody's lurking his twitter when he makes those comments but he's #SADLYMISTAKEN

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Dogy sounds about as enthusiastic on the mic as the Clear Eyes commercial guy. D1 or Prog as well as Wobbles, Lovage, or Wife are all much better choices.

:phone:

Revven

FrankerZ
prog can/already did send a list of recommended commentators for SSBM for the Evo staff and the Evo staff would choose from there. Probably look them up, or prog could send them videos of their commentary at previous tourneys.

ZeldaFreak0309

Smash Journeyman
Definitely get someone like James Chen who is genuinely interested in Melee but isn't super knowledgeable to co-commentate with Prog/D1/Wobbles, because they will ask thoughtful and helpful questions that will create interesting dialogue and good commentary all around

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
I can sub for Wife.

I mean y'all have read the tumblr, I'm bilarious and old school

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
The only problem with waffles commentary is its like this

yo **** dawg ****. ***** getting slapped. ***** getting the corporation. **** **** ****ing **** **** **** **** ****

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
IE during Links vs Low tiers was probably my favorite commentary at Apex.

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
waffles and d1.

prog and waffles.

wobbles and d1.

wobbles and prog.

pretty much prog is the most balanced fun / smart player and can team with everyone.
d1 = hype
waffles = hype.
wobbles = smart and informative. noobs and veterans alike can understand him.
just gotta find balance.

i also think y ou can't have someone who feels above being challenged in theory smash.

no offense but please less dogy. :/ he argues too much and creates these tense awkward situations that others have noticed. and likes his opinion to rule supreme in theory smash. also i don't play doc but hearing stuff like "i have all the percents and there was something shroomed could've done but im not saying it on stream or anywhere cause it's my work and im going to the grave with it" is a bit irksome"

triple edit: DJ nintendo is an amazing informative commentator. Iono why people give him flack but he's also a favorite

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Definitely get someone like James Chen who is genuinely interested in Melee but isn't super knowledgeable to co-commentate with Prog/D1/Wobbles, because they will ask thoughtful and helpful questions that will create interesting dialogue and good commentary all around
This is a good idea.

Please remember that the vast majority of stream viewers will not be familiar with this game like we are when watching apex and ****.

Edit: oops didn't read topic that's what were talking about lol.

nublet06

Smash Lord
I dont know mannnnnn

I THINK WE SHOULD DO KEN!

i personally enjoyed HugS and Ken on the mic at KoC.

HugS and Wife would be the best imo.....if not them i really like wobbles. besides that all of the current generation announcers are terrible imo :( and waffles is too x rated.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Wife and Wobbles. Done.

phil&waffles are the ****ing kings tho. a "best of" video would blow mine (right here) out of the water
MikeSwaggar picked the same duo as me! :O
I think Wife is better than everyone when it comes to putting the game into simple terms for new players. Wobbles is really insightful and can add some deeper analyzing to the banter. They're both amazing at just talking in general, which is probably the most important thing (game knowledge being a close second).

I can sub for Wife.

I mean y'all have read the tumblr, I'm bilarious and old school
Yoooooooooooooo... real talk, that'd be awesome. You+Wife would probably be even crazier. lol

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
I think excluding Waffles completely would be a mistake. His individual influence on the '08-'09 community i.e. maintaining and (more importantly and relevantly) expanding an interest in the Melee competitive scene, was enormously significant. Explanation and analysis are, of course, imperative, but not at the compromise of potential appeal. As long as he's paired with a calmer influence and the issues of censoring are addressed, I think he's a top priority commentator.

Also, if there's one positive to be taken from Dogy's commentary, it's the anti-scrub mentality. He approves of chaingrabs, dislikes "honour stocks" post SD, general play to win ideology. While I agree that he shouldn't commentate EVO (for various reasons, most of which are previously listed here), I think that's a professional attitude which we should carry with us in the commentary, and the event as a whole.

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
General consensus that I've derived from this thread: Some combination of Wobbles, Prog, D1, and HMW if he can avoid cursing. Maybe Waffles should commentate at some big Cali event coming up and try to maintain the hype without cursing as a practice run? XD

I was coming in to basically cite all four of those people. How many people are generally on the mic at Evo? I'm assuming there's usually only two? That's a really, really tough call to make. Rotation, maybe?

KanyeRest

bair-condtioned nightmare
General consensus that I've derived from this thread: Some combination of Wobbles, Prog, D1, and HMW if he can avoid cursing. Maybe Waffles should commentate at some big Cali event coming up and try to maintain the hype without cursing as a practice run? XD

I was coming in to basically cite all four of those people. How many people are generally on the mic at Evo? I'm assuming there's usually only two? That's a really, really tough call to make. Rotation, maybe?
i watched marvel last year, and they rotated commentators, so i don't think that's a problem.

Melty Venus

Smash Cadet
Having an EVO commentator sounds cool but only if the EVO commentator knows about the game up to a certain extent. For example, in Apex 2012, Dogysamich was commentating Smash 64 alongside a 64 player, and it was kind of hard to watch because Dogysamich didn't know much about the game. As a result, the quality of the commentary suffered.

AmKhokar

Smash Journeyman
Have them take casting lessons. I know it sounds over the top, but that's one of the big reasons Tasteless and Artosis (two of the best gaming commentators) who commentate SC2 have been so successful. Commentating, especially with someone else, is a skill that requires practice and knowledge. Combine the knowledge of an experienced commentating instructor with the knowledge and enthusiasm of those like Wobbles and Prog and you're set for about as positive exposure as you can get!

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Favorite commentator atm is Wobbles.

others that come to mind are Doggy, D1, and Wife.

HMW and Phil are classic, but I don't think newcomers would get it...

and wtf how come nobodys mentioned S0FT !?!?!?!

also : Lovage and Hugs are pre good

RJ<3

Smash Journeyman
NNID
peachyandfabrj
3DS FC
4554-1137-4668
Wobbles and I think Dogysamich should be a good pair. =)

:phone:

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Lol dogysamich should def be a good pair.

I can see why you and Wobbles think that =D

HMW, lovage, wobbles. mango. good players who play the game, not dogysamich

hugs would prob be my #1 pick tho

absolutely no ken at all.

also i like lovages idea.

Top Bottom