• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Come shamelessly talk about yourselves (tourney-wise)

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Hii, Pika boards... I'm new, I guess (aka I've been lurking for 6+ months on another account). Pikachu has been my main since 64, and I've gradually progressed from casual player to casual-but-super-competitive player to where I am now, wanting to try out tournament play. I've been to a few tournies and placed very well in them, but they've been very very local ones that don't really count.

Sooo I'm planning on going to CoT 4 here in Philly, but I'm extremely nervous about not knowing what's coming. And I don't do well with nerves. I'm fairly confident in my skill, since I live around a lot of unknown but very skilled players (Anther, if you read this, I believe you saw TUSM play and have also played my Diddy friend Evan), but I want to hear about you guys' tourney experiences.

Here are a few of the questions I have... thought it was a little much for the Q&A thread...

How has your "Pikachu experience" been at tournament-level play? This is really general, but more specifically, why did you pick Pika for tournies? How has your success level been? Brag, please! Hearing about other Pikas' successes makes me feel more confident that I can kick, uh, booty with him too.

Do people usually underestimate you because you play pika? Whenever I mention that I main Pikachu, I get the "okaaaaay..." look and find that it's a great insta-mindgame. That, and a lot of people just don't have good, non-spammy Pika experience. Do you think that has contributed at all to your tourney success?

Does Pika tend to do well against common tourney characters? From what I've seen, he doesn't have too many bad matchups against the most overused characters, but I've only seen lists. I'd like to hear what you guys think from experience.

Which stages/characters are popular counters for Pika? I know which stages Pikachu does badly on, but are opponents generally aware of them and do they tend to actually pick them? Same goes for character counters.

Please don't limit yourself to answering those questions (or feel that you have to answer all of them)... sharing any part of your tournament experience will help and will be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

P.S. I want to throw in that I love the Pikachu boards. I've lurked in other character forums (Ike, G&W, ROB, Peach), and sometimes they get a little... nasty. You guys are nice. Word to that. :)

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
Hii, Pika boards... I'm new, I guess (aka I've been lurking for 6+ months on another account). Pikachu has been my main since 64, and I've gradually progressed from casual player to casual-but-super-competitive player to where I am now, wanting to try out tournament play. I've been to a few tournies and placed very well in them, but they've been very very local ones that don't really count.

Sooo I'm planning on going to CoT 4 here in Philly, but I'm extremely nervous about not knowing what's coming. And I don't do well with nerves. I'm fairly confident in my skill, since I live around a lot of unknown but very skilled players (Anther, if you read this, I believe you saw TUSM play and have also played my Diddy friend Evan), but I want to hear about you guys' tourney experiences.

Here are a few of the questions I have... thought it was a little much for the Q&A thread...

How has your "Pikachu experience" been at tournament-level play? This is really general, but more specifically, why did you pick Pika for tournies? How has your success level been? Brag, please! Hearing about other Pikas' successes makes me feel more confident that I can kick, uh, booty with him too.

Do people usually underestimate you because you play pika? Whenever I mention that I main Pikachu, I get the "okaaaaay..." look and find that it's a great insta-mindgame. That, and a lot of people just don't have good, non-spammy Pika experience. Do you think that has contributed at all to your tourney success?

Does Pika tend to do well against common tourney characters? From what I've seen, he doesn't have too many bad matchups against the most overused characters, but I've only seen lists. I'd like to hear what you guys think from experience.

Which stages/characters are popular counters for Pika? I know which stages Pikachu does badly on, but are opponents generally aware of them and do they tend to actually pick them? Same goes for character counters.

Please don't limit yourself to answering those questions (or feel that you have to answer all of them)... sharing any part of your tournament experience will help and will be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

P.S. I want to throw in that I love the Pikachu boards. I've lurked in other character forums (Ike, G&W, ROB, Peach), and sometimes they get a little... nasty. You guys are nice. Word to that. :)
my own experience at high level play taught me that while he is a ball to use, so many of the most used characters counter pika, except snake and ddd. everything else is like 55-45 or higher against pika it seems. he is a good test of your skill, cause even though he is high tier he is still hard to use at a high level. and yeah people underestimate pika if they have never played one. a lot of people think that there is anther, then nothing but noob spammers. it is always nice to hear people say F*CK when watching you qac like a maniac, doing combos and mindgames. if they underestimate you, as you said, you have pretty much already won, cause the first game you will **** so hard, and they generally cant recover from that. now, however, more then ever pika is being respected, so those times of omg noob pika spammers are over :/ oh well he is too fun to give up!

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I have had decent placings with Pikachu. I haven't attended many tournaments, though.
People do underestimate Pikachu where I live. Pikachu mains are so rare in my region, and most have never heard of one that doesn't spam d-smash or thunder. Due to this, I've received several compliments on my playstyle from my competitors. It's extremely satisfying to hear them.
Pikachu does fine against the top and high tiers. Stealth's somber tone surprised me, tbh. His only disadvantaged match-ups among the top tier would be MK and G&W. Arguably ROB as well, but I don't understand why some people say that. There are too many ROBs in my tournaments and I do well against them all.
As far as stages, most people here don't know what to counter pick against me. I dislike Battlefield, and that's what I dread the most at tournaments.

I have a tournament tomorrow and I've learned a lot since my previous one. I expect to do well, so wish me luck.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Good luck, Mr. E! Can't wait to hear how you did. :)

@Stealth: I thought I was the only one who kinda liked the "every chu is a Spamchu" mentality... I LOVE preyin on the ignorant. Hearing the after-johns when they've been thoroughly shut down by a cute yellow rat is even better.

The Phazon Assassin

Smash Champion

Ummmm, have we.....met?

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I personally don't see ddd as a disadvantaged matchup for pika.

Snake is a headache at times but the matchup is very doable. Same for falco.

I hate fighting gw. I would much rather fight mk than gw.
DDD vs Pikachu is like 70/30 Pikachu...
Pikachu has a slight adv over Snake.
I agree with you on GW. That is surely not a fun fight.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I personally don't see ddd as a disadvantaged matchup for pika.

Snake is a headache at times but the matchup is very doable. Same for falco.

I hate fighting gw. I would much rather fight mk than gw.
DDD vs Pikachu is like 70/30 Pikachu...
Pikachu has a slight adv over Snake.
I agree with you on GW. That is surely not a fun fight.
Among the top tier, I think Pika goes like this...

- MK is MK
- I always feel like I have the upper hand with Snake. A good one can give Pika hell, but that's any (ok, almost any) character *coughganoncough*
- Same goes for DDD, to a lesser extent
- Falco is hard but really not so bad. CGs + learning that I could crouch under the reflector made life a lot easier
- G&W is hard. Very very hard. In a very annoying way. But not impossible. The REAL matchup I hate is...
- ROB. When I see a ROB coming, my strategy is to immediately skullbash off the edge of the screen and just... keep SDing...

Tagxy

Smash Lord
woops, had two windows open with this and double posted.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
My tournament history is rather pathetic, but I have so cal johns. Go to win but dont feel bad about losing, especially if its to a good player. We should play sometime or play some of the other pika players, even if dittos suck they can be pretty helpful even if you're already really good, just head over to the pika chat theres always someone in there.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
My tournament history is rather pathetic, but I have so cal johns. Go to win but dont feel bad about losing, especially if its to a good player. We should play sometime or play some of the other pika players, even if dittos suck they can be pretty helpful even if you're already really good, just head over to the pika chat theres always someone in there.
Where is the pika chat?

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Thanks, Tag.

There's a guy coming to my apartment tomorrow to install my new internet, so after all the holiday rush dies down, I would love to play some dittos to get a few pointers. I've wanted to ask you guys for some matches since I joined, but I'm hijackin the neighbor's wireless, and it cuts out all the time. :(

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Red thts not saying much.. I did that too many times. M2K doesn't play as seriously in a friendly as he does in Tourney. (there is a big difference)

I'm going to CoT4 as well. :0

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I got M2K's MK down to one stock with my pikachu in a friendly. :D

Get at me.
i am sure most of us would be happy to play you kaylo.
Good good. Stealth, I'll definitely be playing you... I wanna try out for High Voltage once I can get online for more than 10 minutes at a time. :ohwell:

Red thts not saying much.. I did that too many times. M2K doesn't play as seriously in a friendly as he does in Tourney. (there is a big difference)

Oh yay, I look forward to seeing you there. :) And anyone else who plans to go. I'm definitely gonna do singles, maybe doubles and maybe crew if these boys I play with come up with a name....

(Yeah, I'm talkin' to you, Evan.)

OverLade

Smash Hero

But mine was sexier cuz Im from OOS. :D

I know though I've seen M2K adjust his skill level depending on who he's playing. He pretty much plays just hard enough to win from what I've seen and experienced. It's sorta discouraging lol.

The Phazon Assassin

Smash Champion
Good good. Stealth, I'll definitely be playing you... I wanna try out for High Voltage once I can get online for more than 10 minutes at a time. :ohwell:

Oh yay, I look forward to seeing you there. :) And anyone else who plans to go. I'm definitely gonna do singles, maybe doubles and maybe crew if these boys I play with come up with a name....

Just so you know, everyone is relying on ME for a name, and it's getting annoying. I told Diddy2.....phillyrider if he doesn't start thinking of one, I'm calling our clan TUSM Enterprises, Inc., which is my Gamefaqs screen name.

DarkThundah

Smash Apprentice
I will say that the last tourney I went to, (I don't go to many) about 50 ppl showed, not a single pika. To be honest, most of the people their where quite happy of this. I guess pika strikes fear into the hearts people in CT. ~but not zelda :)

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Just so you know, everyone is relying on ME for a name, and it's getting annoying. I told Diddy2.....phillyrider if he doesn't start thinking of one, I'm calling our clan TUSM Enterprises, Inc., which is my Gamefaqs screen name.
TUSM i will pimp slap you swiftly cartman style if u call our crew TUSM enterprises.

=

Any suggestions?

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Hm... as for lurking... I tend to do a lot. I sort of don't feel as confidant of my pikachu performance--I don't know why. I live the the general vicinity of Mister_E also and don't see many pika mains. I wish my internet connection was better.

Sincerely,
Legendary Pikachu, LDPK, still a fledgeling smashboards'er

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Legendary!!

Look at the tourney listings. There are a few NC and southern VA tourneys posted and I can try to make it if you will. :)

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Lol redhalberd stop gloating...there is only one real pikachu in FL and that is me :p

But yeah...basically every tourny i go to i get like...5th or better, and i lose to the #1-3 in the state only. I've won a couple of tournaments, placed 3rd and 4th at some. I don't think i ever got a 2nd place lol.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Hm... as for lurking... I tend to do a lot. I sort of don't feel as confidant of my pikachu performance--I don't know why. I live the the general vicinity of Mister_E also and don't see many pika mains. I wish my internet connection was better.

Sincerely,
Legendary Pikachu, LDPK, still a fledgeling smashboards'er
Hi Legendary. We haven't crossed paths on the boards before, but I've read some of your posts.... you should come back & post more often. :)

@ESAM: That's kind of funny, lol. I've gotten 2nd in singles and 3rd in doubles before (I was randomly paired w/ a not-so-good Ike who SD'd twice & killed me once w/ a misaimed fsmash), but they were very local tourneys.... I don't count them at all.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Okay guys... i just made a 3 posts in the last week (record!?). Anyways, thanks for the warm welcome guys.

@ Mister_E: Until January 11 comes around, I won't be hooked up with my rides for tourneys. After that, I am pretty sure any big tourneys in the NC/VA vicinity I can go to. Especially early ones cuz my classes in college just started over. Be ready to face my bro's TL next time :D. He's coming around with some new bomb AT's with TL. I hope he'll surprise ppl.

@ KayLo!: Unless i go to another huge regional/national tournament or something (where i met Mr. E), I don't think I can meet any of you guys unless its on wifi. To make things worse, my wii's wifi never works for me. I need to bum some other's wii-connection to play you guys. I need some lag-conditioning tho--anyone mind playing some (not really good yet) friendlies with me while i am getting used to wifi?

@ Stealth: I'll try to be more productive in posting in the forums (trying to change my sig). I WILL become a true smashboards'er someday! :p

Sincerely,
Legendary Pikachu, LDPK, Still a fledgeling smashboards'er

PS. I got some Vids of our friendlies and experiments done in college with my siblings and stuff. Look up the youtube login: Shadowcase.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
@ KayLo!: Unless i go to another huge regional/national tournament or something (where i met Mr. E), I don't think I can meet any of you guys unless its on wifi. To make things worse, my wii's wifi never works for me. I need to bum some other's wii-connection to play you guys. I need some lag-conditioning tho--anyone mind playing some (not really good yet) friendlies with me while i am getting used to wifi?
Hehe, I meant I just thought you should come around the boards more often.

If you're free after the holidays (I have a lot of Christmas & New Year's parties to go to this year, so I probably won't be around much til Jan. 1), I'd love to play you via wifi. I have practically zero experience with lag as well.... I've only done online matches once or twice. We can learn together. :)

I can't guarantee I'll give you much trouble, though.... I've never been in a major tournament, so I've had nothing solid to compare my Pika against. (Not a scrub, tho.)

Edit: Oh yes, also:

MERRY CHRISTMAS, MY FELLOW PIKAS!!

I'll be updating the Killachu thread as much as I can over the next few days, but I'll mostly be MIA. Eh, maybe someone will miss me, lol.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Distraction!!! :colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful:

[insert blushy face][insert roll-around-joyful face]

Uh, yeah, Merry Christmas. *shifty eyes*

Top Bottom