• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Combo Breaker original thread. go to the results thread (link in here)

Grmo

Smash Champion
Plymouth Rock, eating Thanksgiving dinner
i think the organizers should be split into groups to run the different events. with so many people now who have organization experience it should definitely make things smoother. there would be less errors overlapping if we had 2-3 organizers preparing/running each event
nah.
I'll help run brawl.
Adnan will take melee.
Grmo and co take everything. (of course)
that works. I appreciate the help.
i could help run brawl as well, i have a laptop so somebody just needs to give me the tourny software
I'll be fine lol. Of course I've got a laptop. How else would I have run my past tournaments? I appreciate the offer though.
Yep, that's what I said.
Yeah well, it's not being run like that. I still don't know yet but I'm leaning towards doing brawl and melee singles at the same time, since there will be gamecubes hooked up. Either that or we could just focus on one at a time. I imagine there will be many more Wiis than gamecubes anyway, so we could just run Melee doubles more slowly at first then pick it up when brawl finishes. after that I guess we could just do one after the other; I feel that process wouldn't work so well for singles since there are generally way more people. I haven't posted a schedule yet because having both games is complicating it.

PS. PPL: THERE ISN'T AN ATTENDEE LIST. SIGN UP FOR SOMETHING OR I'M IGNORING YOU UNTIL YOU DECIDE WHAT.

Also if your team name is Team Scrub its because you didn't give me a name.

JeffMan

Smash Apprentice
We're not going to get far if we don't run some things simultaneously. We barely managed three events last time, so 4 is obviously a huge stretch. We definitely gotta run the events simultaneously, and we need to allocate setups according to how many people there are for each game. I think where we lose the most time is towards the end of each event when there's like 4 entrants left and 90% of the TVs are being used for friendlies. I think if we start singles first, we shouldn't have to wait until it's completely over before we start doubles, or vice versa.

In a nutshell: give up stations for tourney matches, bring a TV. i know i am

Grmo

Smash Champion
haha, yeah. That'll be fun to play on. That's a good point. We just need to make sure people aren't playing friendlies. This time around I'd like it if we could keep track of who's playing where and if no one is assigned to a certain station, then whoever has a match is allowed to kick the friendly players off.

wtclanDOTcom

Smash Apprentice
Put me down for brawl singles please.

put me down as --> Bug

I can bring a copy of brawl as long as i get it back lol.

wtclanDOTcom

Smash Apprentice
hey can you also add my friend who lives beside me.

put him down as Whit

thanks!

btw, this is for brawl singles.

alphameric

Smash Ace
First off, I am extreme doubtful that you can run melee AND brawl simultaneously.
there was already trouble in finishing melee singles & doubles within the alloted time, so doing BOTH games for BOTH types is highly unlikely.

With that said, I'd like to know what is taking overall priority, because if it's melee then it will be unlikely that I will be coming (cant speak for all of cos) since I am not going to sit around and watch people play in hopes that the tournament I came for, will happen.

Grmo

Smash Champion
If you're skeptical of our ability to run a tournament, don't come. Anyway, we're most likely giving them even priority. As in, we will try to run both doubles types at the same time. I will probably give Melee doubles priority since that seems to be more popular. After that, I think we'll try to run Brawl and Melee at the same time. Since when did you not like playing Melee anyway?

alphameric

Smash Ace
Compared to Brawl, Melee is incredibly broken.
Brawl is a much more balanced game than melee ever could be. On top of that CoS (maybe not GK) is pretty much bored of Melee in every sense of the word. But that is beside the point.

The only reason I don't think you can't run both simultaneously is because you are using the same time frame and you are splitting the available consoles for both games. Think about it, it took ~10 hours to do Melee singles & doubles on ALL tv's. There wasn't even time for a minuscule low-tier tournament on multiple occasions.

So now you want to essentially run TWO tournaments on the same amount of hardware that was required to do ONE tournament. That doesn't add up, there simply is not enough time to do both. If you are so set on doing both, then hold two tournament days so you can actually do them. One for Melee, and one for Brawl.

I'm not trying to diss your tournament running ability (cause you do a fine job), I'm just saying you can't do both at once. Unfortunate, but true.

Percon

Smash Lord
alphameric,

Not that I necessarily disagree with what you said (not for me to judge games/communities), you're probably gonna get flamed for that post.

BTW, you've got a cool sig.

alphameric

Smash Ace
lol thanks, and I'm not trying to put anyone down or anything, and I don't want this to be a Melee vs Brawl discussion, since thats not what my post was about :p

Percon

Smash Lord
Yeah, I see enough of that going on.

BTW, have I ever met you IRL? I'm trying to remember who you are if so (sorry if I'm forgetful). I've been up to Sauga two or three times, IIRC.

D

Deleted member

The only reason I don't think you can't run both simultaneously is because you are using the same time frame and you are splitting the available consoles for both games. Think about it, it took ~10 hours to do Melee singles & doubles on ALL tv's. There wasn't even time for a minuscule low-tier tournament on multiple occasions.

So now you want to essentially run TWO tournaments on the same amount of hardware that was required to do ONE tournament. That doesn't add up, there simply is not enough time to do both. If you are so set on doing both, then hold two tournament days so you can actually do them. One for Melee, and one for Brawl.

I'm not trying to diss your tournament running ability (cause you do a fine job), I'm just saying you can't do both at once. Unfortunate, but true.
This is an incredibly good post and this is the main reason I won't be coming if it's as split tournament.

Ask Josh I explained to him on MSN.

Adrian was constantly forgotten about when the idea of lowtier came about, he was one of the only people who mained a low tier. There simply isn't enough time to run them both and on top of all this, grmos venue is extremely far for a bunch of us, and it's hard to slot in an entire day for a rushed tournament.

People who believe this aren't trying to boycott your tournament, it's just simply not going to work. Call me pessimistic, but you have no special trick up your sleeve. Had you had like 25 tvs, MAYBE it could work, but we don't. The only thing people are suggesting is just to not do friendlies and hurry the **** up. It won't work.

The only way no friendlies works is if you have people watching the TVs and a megaphone. When I went to Los Angeles and played SoCal, they had like, 125 people show up, and they did singles and doubles in one day. But that was because they weren't ****ing around. It's INCREDIBLY tough to do.

Grmo

Smash Champion
Compared to Brawl, Melee is incredibly broken.
Brawl is a much more balanced game than melee ever could be.
not really.
multiple occasions? Well, considering I've only ever hosted 2 big tournaments, and we did low tier at one of them, and there was a LOT of wasted time at starfurry, that your argument is invalid.

That might be a good idea actually. I'll look into it. It depends on how many people are coming to each though.

This is an incredibly good post and this is the main reason I won't be coming if it's as split tournament.

Ask Josh I explained to him on MSN.

Adrian was constantly forgotten about when the idea of lowtier came about, he was one of the only people who mained a low tier. There simply isn't enough time to run them both and on top of all this, grmos venue is extremely far for a bunch of us, and it's hard to slot in an entire day for a rushed tournament.

People who believe this aren't trying to boycott your tournament, it's just simply not going to work. Call me pessimistic, but you have no special trick up your sleeve. Had you had like 25 tvs, MAYBE it could work, but we don't. The only thing people are suggesting is just to not do friendlies and hurry the **** up. It won't work.

The only way no friendlies works is if you have people watching the TVs and a megaphone. When I went to Los Angeles and played SoCal, they had like, 125 people show up, and they did singles and doubles in one day. But that was because they weren't ****ing around. It's INCREDIBLY tough to do.
Actually I do have a special trick, one that will not only speed things up greatly but ensure that there are no friendlies. btw saying that it's tough only encourages me >_>

PS. Ganon isn't low tier.

alphameric

Smash Ace
BTW, have I ever met you IRL?
Don't think so.

multiple occasions?...your argument is invalid.
Sorry, not just yours but essentially every tournament I've come to (sans the very first one) had the idea of running a LT Tournament "if there was time".

I'm not being bitter or anything, my argument is simply that the potential LT tournament's were usually consisting of 6 people give or take a few. Now explain to me how you plan on squeezing in two more major events in one day when over numerous occasions it was impossible to fit in a 6± side tournament.

So yes, I suggest looking into a second date depending on interest :p

Edit: i still main gaw (even moreso in brawl :chuckle:) , ganon is my sidekick

Grmo

Smash Champion
^ yeah that's true.

My trick is just to keep track of who is playing where. I'm going to assign every setup a station number, and when people come up to look at their match I can see where there's a station that no one's using. tio has this feature. It also keeps track of how long people have been at a station for. Anyway, this way I can tell someone to go to whatever station and they won't have to go around looking for one; they'll just be able to go to the station and say "we've got a tournament match", sit down, and play. It'll save tons of time.

alphameric

Smash Ace
On paper, perhaps.
But in reality you have essentially the same people playing in 4 tournaments (for arguments sake) which will need to overlap each other. Now that was already being done when it was just 2 tournaments, and that barely fit.. soooo yea..

/argument really

Grmo

Smash Champion
lol. yeah I know what you mean. The only thing that would hold me back from having two tournaments is the amount of people who come.

Anyway, the main reason I think this will work is because I don't think Melee will be very big. Most people are into Brawl.

EDIT: Singles has priority. I don't think Melee singles will be very big so we can just run it on the gamecubes that will inevitably be brought. If I'm wrong and Melee is really big, then we're in trouble.

D

Deleted member

No. If anything we'll knock off doubles but I'm hoping not to have to do that. We might just knock off Brawl doubles since no one seems interested in that, but we'll see.
are you kidding??

anyway, I think leaving out brawl pools really sucks. it's a brand new metagame and getting to play everyone in your pool will really be great.

in melee everyone knows who beats who already, it's no surprise.

alphameric

Smash Ace
yea, cutting pools to fit melee = ***** move.
I'd rather play against the same people with new strategies and characters, than the same people with old strats and the same 5 characters.

Grmo

Smash Champion
that's a good point. I'd sort of just like to have straight melee brackets since seeding won't really be necessary anyway. But I'm DEFINITELY keeping in Brawl pools. I don't think I ever said I wouldn't lol.

JeffMan

Smash Apprentice
Motion to cancel Brawl doubles? It doesn't seem to be getting a lot of interest, and neither is Melee for that matter, but I think two singles tourneys and a doubles can be managed.

Keep in mind that 50+ people attended each of Grmo's previous tournaments; that's a fairly big number for our GTA shindigs. If only like 30 or 40 people show up then it won't be too bad, hopefully.

We also need to not start events so late. I recall from previous tourneys that events were scheduled one hour, or even one and a half hours before they actually started. I know the venue is far for a lot of people but if you're on time then we can actually start on time for once.

EDIT: Hey, if you want Brawl doubles > Melee doubles, that's fine with me, but if we're going to be making room for everything by cutting stuff out, it should be one of those two.

Grmo

Smash Champion
^ It's mostly my fault; I was wasting a lot of time when I should have been trying to find ways to speed things up. Anyway, I'd just like to throw this out to people: I know a few of us can probably house people. I can house a few for sure.

Europhoria

Smash Lord
Oh **** no... Alphameric is back and doing the only thing he ever does; complain. >_>
Caketown managed to run 4 successful events. Singles, Doubles, Low Tier, Draft Crews.
I can't believe I'm saying this but if people are really that concerned about it; drop melee pools and just do straight brackets even though Melee is certainly getting more interest (at least in terms of people signed up) in both doubles and singles.
People coming on time is important though. This community is really lenient about people who show up late >_> That really contributes to our **** taking forever.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
^ I definetly agree with the part about people showing up late.

And, about the dropping Melee Pools thing. Case in point: Caketown didn't have melee pools.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
okay, seriously, i understand that you guys are really into brawl, and i can respect that. but are you actually going to argue that brawl is a really balanced game at the moment?

like, what the fuck.

you're going to argue that a game can be balanced when there is no immediate reward for approaching?

you're all aware the last few C3s have been won by gruesome, hideously slow defensive play and virtually nothing else, right? and vidjo's tournament was won by ridiculously patient play by vidjo and forte, right?

brawl overpowers defense. maybe not camping, but defensive play as a whole is monstrously buffed. mdk00 beat everyone in sauga but basically imadh (who didn't enter) by spamming spaced f-airs with meta and shield-pressuring with b and then running away (eventually he'd d/f-smash or up+b for a kill), and with fox he just monstrously lasered, ran away, and waited for laggy moves to do 2-3 hit dair combos (and eventually at high percents he switched dair for u-smashes). this whole defense > offense thing is working for him pretty damn well, since he's like winning and stuff, so clearly this is not a purely american phenomenon.

hell at the brawl tourney me and nate played in a while back i won by spamming up+b and not approaching with kirby, lost because i kept attacking him with ics, and by game three i'd seen the error of my ways, played olimar, and camped him for, what, 6 minutes?

Sanu

Smash Champion
I am now manually realizing that JeffMan is one of the two hackers working on the Mother 3 translation project.

What the FUCK

MIND STATUS: BLOWN

alphameric

Smash Ace
If it takes you the full 6 minutes to finish a game, then something is wrong with the players, not the game.
This isn't an argument for the better game. If there is a larger amount of players who want to do Melee than Brawl, then so be it, but don't expect some people to show up. But if there are equal numbers of players (likely duplicates in both games) then I stand in saying Brawl takes seniority.

And Mike, I don't complain as often as you'd like.
You've got your head so far up your own *** you've forgotten what fresh air smells like.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I don't actually remember how long I camped Nate, I think it was to about 160% because that's around when Olimar's U-throw kills off the top of FD with the yellow pikmin (the spots I was running to gave mostly yellow, white, and blue iirc but I don't really remember). Whatever amount of time it was, imho, is irrelevant. It still won me the game, it seems to win large-scale and casual tournaments (often with players randomly appearing out of nowhere because the skillset demanded of brawl is limited to spacing, patience, and bitchwork), and I am somewhat disturbed that in spite of the overpowering dominance of this single strategy, you think that this game is more balanced than its predecessor, and already have the audacity to say that it's more balanced than Melee.

But perhaps I am too skeptical.

Tell me your secret to defeating this seemingly overpowering strategy that everyone (it appears) is confined to do in order to have any chance of winning (since everyone who is winning anything is doing it). Oh, and this answer is not allowed to be "play Metaknight or Marth" because I'd assume that if only two non-camping characters are viable, that shows absolutely no balance, in fact I'd argue it's the opposite.

On that note, one of the Vidjo vs Azen matches went past 7 minutes. I don't think 6 minutes is going to be that uncommon of a phenomenon, given that the only thing that really made Melee gameplay quick for the most part (in spite of the camping that happened) was the killing/combo/edgeguard power most tournament characters had and since edgeguarding is crap with air-control and auto-sweetspot, the comboing is neutered, and killing is neutered, I wouldn't rule out a best of 3 going 16+ minutes.

alphameric

Smash Ace
I'm not going to argue with you since you've already made up your mind.
And argument aside, if I were to have a solution to your overpowering strategy, what makes you think I'd tell you if it guaranteed me victory :p

Edge-Guarding is NOT hard to do in Brawl. I'm even willing to say that it is not only easier, but encouraged.
Everyone can jump out for the kill and make it back to the stage. Whether or not you do so is entirely up to you, but you risk running the game out. Not to mention that you can gimp tether recoveries easily, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to finish the games in quick time.

On average our long games top out around 4-5min, which is always decreasing as we find new ways of doing things.

Being a bitch by choice is no reason to dislike the game. You aren't even giving it a chance.
I'm sorry you can't see the imbalance with Melee. Surely Brawl will eventually turn out to be the same, but it isn't now, making it more fun than many could possibly have going back to a game we've been playing and breaking down for many years. Right now Brawl is in its infancy, and if nobody were to play it then it wouldn't exactly grow up (like Melee did). Brawl is about taking risks and going over the top (house rules lol), not sitting back and pitching a tent.

That's all I will say on the subject. If you want to respond, go ahead, but I'm not going to reply on the boards as this will obviously go in circles and to be frank, the topic has been done to death. If you prefer Melee fine, just don't feel you can cast a large percentage of the community out because we've decided the old game has had it's time.

This has been a general statement and is not directed at anyone in particular

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I'm not going to argue with you since you've already made up your mind.
If you can tell me how to beat a hyper-conservative player who plays extremely defensively and does mostly projectile spam, shield-camping, shield-grabs (because grab range is buffed and shield-grabbing is much easier even when they space), bitchwork, randoms between their three options to get out of combos, and DIs properly (basically a really good brawl player) without dissolving into the same thing, I will listen to you.

And argument aside, if I were to have a solution to your overpowering strategy, what makes you think I'd tell you if it guaranteed me victory :p
I doubt you'd say it because you don't have one. But if you did have one, I'm guessing you would have flaunted it to prove me and everyone else wrong at some point, or you would have done it because advancing brawl out of its current state of defense > offense seems like it would be a good thing.

Edge-Guarding is NOT hard to do in Brawl. I'm even willing to say that it is not only easier, but encouraged.
Everyone can jump out for the kill and make it back to the stage. Whether or not you do so is entirely up to you, but you risk running the game out. Not to mention that you can gimp tether recoveries easily, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to finish the games in quick time.
Tether recoveries are edgehoggable, sure. But on the characters who seem like they are good have good recoveries and multiple means of recovering and improved air-control works both ways. Making it back is easier on both sides. But, sure, I'll give you that. Edgeguarding isn't as impossible as skeptics make it sound. One disruption I think you neglect, though, is that they can usually float close enough to do an attack to block whatever you're trying to do to them unless you have more priority or range, which was not an option in melee.

On average our long games top out around 4-5min, which is always decreasing as we find new ways of doing things.
Yes because you and CoS are clearly the epitome of the Brawl metagame. It's definitely not someone like Azen, or M2K, or even the people who are, you know, winning stuff. I hear Vwins camps in Brawl like a bitch and consequently he seems to win a lot. And so does DSF, who was apparently a top player in the ladder until he was suspended because people thought he was hacking (he was tied for 1st with another hyper-campy player; MikeHAZE I think). Actually I haven't heard of too many successful offensive players. If you can direct me to them, I would probably be more willing to change my mind on the matter.

Being a bitch by choice is no reason to dislike the game. You aren't even giving it a chance.
I've played it, I came second in some stupid Sauga tournament by camping, and only really lost to camping so yeah. And I'm actually terrible at Brawl. On that note, contrary to popular belief I don't hate Brawl I just think as a game it's hideously imbalanced. And much moreso than Melee.

I'm sorry you can't see the imbalance with Melee. Surely Brawl will eventually turn out to be the same, but it isn't now, making it more fun than many could possibly have going back to a game we've been playing and breaking down for many years.
When did I say Melee wasn't imbalanced? Melee is grossly imbalanced. But at least in Melee you can have some diversity in the styles of the characters. I'd go as far as to say that the top player of each character has a style completely different than the next best player and this is possible because Melee is nice like that. You can actually play characters in more than one way (and actually attack OR defend). I cannot say the same for Brawl. You can obvious have move preferences, but right now it seems clear that regardless of how you do it, you play defense. And defending tends to give you more constricted move options (projectiles, grabs, random stuff with speed and priority, eventual kill move).

Again, though, if I'm incorrect on this matter, please tell me.

Also, Luigis and Samuses win tournaments even when Falcos and Falcons and Peaches enter. Hugs won the last UCLA, with 149 entrants and Ka placed second. Chu plays fucking ICs and won Pound 2. Mango won Pound 3 with Jiggs. Bum got fourth at MLG Long Island with DK. Kage nearly made brackets at Pound 3 and almost beat Chu, beat Chillin, and some other names. The mid tiers are viable in this game. Obviously the top tiers trample them for the most part, but it's not like some fighters where the matchup is fucking unwinnable. You just have to be a lot smarter than them. Melee is very broken, but many others are much worse. On that note, we haven't had to ban characters yet, something that I've heard can happen in the "really broken" fighters (although this point is somewhat moot because the presence of Fox has made most of the stages unplayabe).

Top Bottom