• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Columbia/Rolla/Mid-MO Discussion Thread

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
ZGE wasn't that bad. He's got potential. You should see if he wants to play sometime.

MeijinAkuma

Smash Apprentice
Lol wut? My Samus is legit. Ask Strong Bad, whom it recently beat in a MM.

:phone:
I was just saying that he should focus on learning how to play the character and everything involved with her before he ever even thought about extender or SWD. And yeah, your Samus is pri legit, which is why I referred him to you in the first place. I don't think there's anything I could really teach him that you couldn't do better... besides maybe the spacie MUs, and uair canceling.

MeijinAkuma

Smash Apprentice
It you grapple cancel, you can do anything, including but not limited to, a uair.

If you do it properly, uairing off the ledge will result in a cancel.. leaving you free to do whatever you want. If you do it fast enough, you can keep some of your ledge invincibility when you do it.

When people don't see it coming you can pop from the ledge to the stage and dsmash them off of it or something.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I don't think they understand what you mean by a u-air cancel, Akuma.
What you're talking about is doing a ledgehop u-air such that some janky thing happens and you land while moving upwards and you land onstage after ledgehopping pretty quickly.

MeijinAkuma

Smash Apprentice
I don't think they understand what you mean by a u-air cancel, Akuma.
What you're talking about is doing a ledgehop u-air such that some janky thing happens and you land while moving upwards and you land onstage after ledgehopping pretty quickly.
Yeah. There was a video of it on youtube, but I can't find it... the basic premise is ledgehop u-air fairly quickly as you are going onto the stage... the timing is hard to explain in text format, but... I could show you sometime too.

MeijinAkuma

Smash Apprentice
Overall I only recommend playing Samus if you are a fan of playing melee's version of street fighter. You'll be doing a lot of WD OoS and poking with your tilts. Even then her tilts aren't as fast as they need to be.. don't expect very long combos with her.

Her smash attacks are all pretty laggy, so only use them when you know they are going to connect... best example is VS C. falc, where you'll get kneed every time you miss something...

Her projectiles are pretty overrated IMO... her missiles have absolutely no priority and can be jabbed.. charge shot can be stopped by just about any decently strong attack (sheik's fair will stop it, as will ganon's ftilt)... That being said... shoot at them anyways, ya might get lucky. Platform canceling your missiles is the best way to get a lot of missiles out. On poke and yoshi (any of the low platforms) you can SH missile cancel... dreamland and battlefield takes a quick doublejump missile to get the timing right.

Great things are her ability to recover in a lot of different ways. Bombs, her upB, air dodging, and grapple/rising grapple are all pretty good ways to mix it up... If they know how she works they can still edge guard you but you've got some pretty good tools for survival. Next is her CC game... it's pri gud. If you play against a fox with subpar tech skill, they're toast... Utilt is your friend... etc.

K I'm going to work.

Massive

Smash Champion
Samus is pretty good at taking forever to die.
If you play her like old-style jiggs (outlast your opponent) you'll usually do alright.

She's also a great life battery in teams.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Samus is pretty good at taking forever to die.
If you play her like old-style jiggs (outlast your opponent) you'll usually do alright.

She's also a great life battery in teams.
She is bad in singles and worse in teams. In singles, if you don't know how to fight Samus it can be difficult. After you learn the matchup, her options are very limited. In teams, sure she can tank stock. But she takes forever to recover which means your teammate gets double teamed. Plus she has no good grab combos, either being the grabber or the grabee. Also missiles kill teammates as fast as they do opponents.

She is fun to use though and very different from other character. And of course there are always exceptions to the rules (Hugs, IHSB).

-Sinister-

Smash Ace
She is bad in singles and worse in teams. In singles, if you don't know how to fight Samus it can be difficult. After you learn the matchup, her options are very limited. In teams, sure she can tank stock. But she takes forever to recover which means your teammate gets double teamed. Plus she has no good grab combos, either being the grabber or the grabee. Also missiles kill teammates as fast as they do opponents.

She is fun to use though and very different from other character. And of course there are always exceptions to the rules (Hugs, IHSB).

i'd say she's a bit better in teams than singles. jared and i always do better when he's samus. at least at the last few tournaments we went to.

MeijinAkuma

Smash Apprentice
i'd say she's a bit better in teams than singles. jared and i always do better when he's samus. at least at the last few tournaments we went to.

That's probably because I play her like a tank that sweeps from side to side drawing aggro... That and I try to recover as fast as possible doing as little as necessary .. plus you can hold the ledge while I'm out. That team requires specific play styles to work, is my point.

Edit: Oh and you are a beast in teams so it accounts for Samus

Edit2: I want to play teams vs these shrubs. Also good luck S_B

>Bert<

Smash Ace
She is bad in singles and worse in teams. In teams, sure she can tank stock. But she takes forever to recover which means your teammate gets double teamed. Also missiles kill teammates as fast as they do opponents.
Lolwut?? Can I get Plup/Hbox in here to disagree with this man? They came so close to 1st in teams. That's saying a LOT playing against an Armada/M2K team.

Also Adam, I thought you were working on a "real OP"? :troll:

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Just because they got 2nd doesn't mean Samus isn't bad in teams.

Just because Axe is good doesn't mean Pikachu doesn't suck.

See how that works?

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
No disrespect intended. Loupe himself would probably admit that Samus sucks in teams. She's lower on the teams tier list than on the regular tier list.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
samus is one of the funnest characters to play for me

1.falco
2.samus
3.peach
in order of enjoyability
Samus IS fun. And you can be really creative with her, having a unique set of moves and an under explored metagame.

My funnest characters to use are
1) Falcon
2) Marth
3) Tie between lots of characters lol

-Sinister-

Smash Ace
sure you can be creative, but hardly any of it is real. once you know samus' limitations, she's easy to beat.
imo

Jace08

Smash Lord
my list would go

1) Luigi!
2) Falcon
3) hmm probably spacies

so is there really a rolla tourney in late january? I'd love to come out again and see everyone

Top Bottom