• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Colorado Smash - MVG Presents: REVELATION 2 - MIDWEST NATIONAL! MVG QUALIFIER! May 16-17

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Me too!

I really haven't played your Diddy since the last time it was ****** me at Tranz's. :O

Also, that was a typo. I know me English.

Also, I haven't been putting the Mac sauce on my sandwhich. :ohwell:

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well you're still good enough to beat my Diddy without the matchup experience apparently, but hey, I'll play you whenever you want.

Protip:
Don't mess up glide-tosses in tourney.

Meno Edit:
With a little more experience, your Peach will destroy me. Supposedly Diddy's hardest matchup.

Stop having floating powers. Bananas don't trip in the air.

Underload

Lazy
I'm asking Tim to ask Halfro if it's okay to offer discounts for bringing setups this time around. They'll only lose $20 at the most (I won't take discounts after 4 TVs, maaaaaybe 5), and it seems those $5 are a big deal to smashers. So, yeah. Community-friendly $5 pot fee, with $10 venue, with a probable $5 off of venue for bringing a setup (Wii + TV + Brawl), that's only $10 entry all together for generous people. Really cheap.

Also, I just ran a mock bracket to see how long things would take. Did the math (with generous numbers per set), and there's absolutely no way it'll take more than 2.5 hours, unless a bunch more people show up for Brawl, which I doubt will happen. I'm terrible (or my attendees are) if it takes any more than that. I mean, those are REALLY generous numbers I'm using. Like, if everyone camped everyone to death every match and GFs goes to 5th match both sets.

Oh, by the way, if exactly 16 people show up and pay exactly $5 entry, then 3rd will get $15, 2nd will get $23, and 1st will get $42. That's using the 60:30:10 formula, but shaving off a dollar here and there from 1st and 2nd so 3rd can at least get their entry back. Just thought I'd tempt you with that gas money.

I'm still looking for confirmations, by the way. If you're kinda sure, but not positive, then tell me anyway. Otherwise I'll bug you Thursday and Friday.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
100% positively going. Not gonna miss the rebirth of Zajderload.

I can bring a full setup if you don't mind playing on a hacked Wii. You don't have to use the hacks, but they make the music less boring.

Yes, I got rid of Lon Lon Ranch.

Underload

Lazy
I might have time to do doubles.

But that would require people actually having money. Or I could just make it free.

edit: I ALSO NEED PEOPLE TO BRING BRAWL / MELEE DISCS. I MEAN, IT SHOULD BE OBVIOUS IF YOU'RE BRINGING A WII TO BRING BRAWL, BUT I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO RUN MELEE OFF OF ONE TV BECAUSE NO ONE REMEMBERED TO BRING A DISC FOR THE GAME

Bees!

Smash Ace
Well you're still good enough to beat my Diddy without the matchup experience apparently, but hey, I'll play you whenever you want.

Protip:
Don't mess up glide-tosses in tourney.

Meno Edit:
With a little more experience, your Peach will destroy me. Supposedly Diddy's hardest matchup.

Stop having floating powers. Bananas don't trip in the air.
Zajice! If you come to EFL teach me some stuff about Diddy please? I want to make him my second for singles. He is sooo fun and can do decent against MK and DDD(I hate those MUs)

i couldn't glide toss for crap, i gotta practice it for hours sometime
I had to master it. Its like 50% of my ROB game. I would be hard pressed not to have trixies with my ROB. GnW has an awesome GT but it is really hard to do imo.

Underload

Lazy
Just delay the roll and the c-stick flick a bit more. Diddy's is pretty much instantaneous after it starts up, but you have to know your character's startup frame times.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Gah, everybody wants to touch me and my Diddy all of a sudden!

Whatever you need help with Bees, I'll try to help you with.

Bees!

Smash Ace
Just delay the roll and the c-stick flick a bit more. Diddy's is pretty much instantaneous after it starts up, but you have to know your character's startup frame times.
IMO I have messed around with Diddy and his GT. It is the same timing as ROB's imo. A while back I picked up Diddy for a week or two. I had his GT down in 5 minutes simply because I use it so much with ROB

Also thanks Zajice. And its not as much to do with you or(Pound 4 and ADHD) as it is the fact that Diddy covers ROB nearly perfectly(and ROB covers Diddy well). Barring Wario I think.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
People say Diddy is really hard to learn, but I picked up the majority of the basics extremely quickly. Probably because I played every character in the cast and had items on all the time when I was stuck playing at my school. Instant throwing bomb-ombs and stuff really throws scrubs off.

And I spammed glide tosses whenever I used Peach.

And banana placement is probably easy for me because of my history with Snake and grenades.

Stuff adds up.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
There's no bragging being done here. Especially when you're talking about fighting scrubs in free for alls with items on.

And I'm just throwing ideas out there. People say he's hard to learn but I had no major problems. That's all I'm sayin'.

:smash:

Favorite emoticon evar.

Moblin

Smash Apprentice
There's no bragging being done here. Especially when you're talking about fighting scrubs in free for alls with items on.

And I'm just throwing ideas out there. People say he's hard to learn but I had no major problems. That's all I'm sayin'.

Favorite emoticon evar.
braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

aaaa

gerimbeingobnoxiousfornoreason-goodnight

Bees!

Smash Ace

Favorite emoticon evar.
I don't think he will be very hard either. But like any character I will have to dedicate time to practice.

I wish my wii was working so I can practice instant throwing.

Tranzworld

Smash Apprentice
What has become of this thread? Seriously.

I can actually play...somewhat technically now. I'd like a chance to play falco against real people now :].

I still don't understand those shine bair world records, jesus christ, my highest is like 415%.

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
Dan, I know you were having trouble with your game. I asked, and here's a suggestion (copy and pasted):

"Nope, but I think it may be problem of his monitor hz, try using 60 hz, 75hz for example may be making the game a little faster I think... But if that's the main problem you can try enabling v-sync in the card's control panel...Some people had to disable it, but if the game is running too fast for him...that may be the solution."

EDIT: Hahaha, stay classy Aksys games: http://www.aksysgames.com/2010/01/25/our-response-to-people-pirating-blazblue-continuum-shift/
Hm... that's not it because I'm running at 60hz :/

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
I might have time to do doubles.

But that would require people actually having money. Or I could just make it free.

edit: I ALSO NEED PEOPLE TO BRING BRAWL / MELEE DISCS. I MEAN, IT SHOULD BE OBVIOUS IF YOU'RE BRINGING A WII TO BRING BRAWL, BUT I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO RUN MELEE OFF OF ONE TV BECAUSE NO ONE REMEMBERED TO BRING A DISC FOR THE GAME
I'm your man. Strong Homo.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
My Honest Feelings of CO Smash: Brawl

This will probably be pretty long, but I would appreciate your attention for the duration of this post. Everything here I mean 100% and am saying with the prosperity of the Colorado smash scene in mind.

CO Smash Scene: Brawl is quite small. Let's be honest, we have maybe 20 players who are actually interested in this game? Throw in a couple of Melee players that just like smash and we have at maximum 30 players to make up CO Brawl. This is the amount of players that Texas has on a block. Out of all these players, locations vary throughout the entirety of the state, apparently now even in Durango.

CO Smash Scene: Brawl is not at the level of many other states. If a considered-decent player comes from New York, they are bound to do well at one of our tournies. This may result in a Fin0 incident where one player comes from out of state, *****, and then thinks, "lol Colorado". If we go out of state, we have slim chances of making it out of pools at larger tournies or overall perfoming well at all. At this point some of you must be thinking, "OMG DTL is calling CO smash bad!!!" I am not. Simply put:

CO Smash Scene: Brawl is doing it wrong. This is my main point that I have been bull****ting around. We have a small scene consisting of mostly undedicated players. We live in a state with zero top players. Simply put, Brawl doesn't seem like our game. Does this mean it's not really our fault we're bad? No. We have simply not taken the proper steps to developing our scene. Below are listed the steps CO smash must take to thrive at this game, as I am sure we can.

The Local Level: Local is where it all starts out and local will always be the root of the smash community. I live in Longmont, debatably the worst area for smash in Colorado. I am literally the only player in the town who cares enough about this game to try to get good. Down in Boulder I have TC and DOP. No DOP barely cares about this game, but TC, TC is the key! Here we have a local player with a scrub-free mindset. He plays a high tier and wants to get good at/likes this game. I have been given a jewel. Not only does he show potential at this game, but he is an all-around cool person. He's the kind of guy that you could play videogames with for hours, get bored, and do anything else non-smash-related, yet still have a great time. He is literally the perfect member of this scene. This is where my initiative ends. I will take whatever oppurtunity I have to teach him and get better from him. Though not THAT convenient, I have scored a training partner/friend. This occured in the WORST PART OF CO FOR SMASH.

Now on to CO springs. Weekly smashfests? Aspiring players? This sounds great, and in part it is. The problem, however, is the seeming lack of focus on the competitive aspect of Brawl. Don't get me wrong, I am happy that a bunch of people can gather to play a fun game, but there is much more that can be reaped from this. Take Soapy, the Yoshi player. I am relatively unfamiliar to him, but he seems nice and plays Yoshi well. Who cares. Living in a scene of under 30 players, who needs a Yoshi? Now here we have this young, aspiring player which such a dead end character. Am I saying make him stop playing Yoshi? No, but I am saying introduce him to high tier secondaries and their metagames. With such a thriving smash scene, CO springs must now focus on not just playing this game, but LEARNING it. This scene has mother ****ing BeeS, so we know great players can come out of seemingly nowhere. Now if we can use such a player to educate the rest, we could have a beehive of potential...lol at that...bees...bee hive...It's late >__>

The Smash Gathering: Smashfests are the BEST PLACE to get good at this game. End of discussion. CO smash must acknowledge this and treat them as such. Here is where the most change should be made to get better. I'll use Tim's smashfests as my example. Going to these gives me some of my favorites times. Playing a game I love with some of the sexiest pieces of man meat and Moblin leads to some great times except for Moblin ew Moblin. What do we do at these? There's a TV set up for Melee, one for brawl, and one for mostly Brawl, but other stuff as well. This set up is fine for the number of people who show, though increased attendance is desirable obviously. It is the matches that go on here that should be altered. Two people want to friendly each other. Firstly, they must remember that this should be a learning experience. Try to win, but make sure your greatest goal is LEARNING. This is where the idea of not taking how you do in friendlies seriously. People like Seibrik will MONEY MATCH people, not sandbagging, but playing to learn. He will lose, then proceed to **** in tourney. He wasn't sandbagging; he was learning. Play this way. If you win, great, but you only really win if you learned from it.

When playing friendlies, ask another player to watch. If anyone asks me, I'll be happy to help. I'm sure the same goes for Tim, Dave, or anyone. Have someone view your match, possibly give you advice during it, but ultimately help your learn even more from it. An outside player can let you know of your habits and overall mistakes. Playing to learn is made even easier with the help of others. In the same subject of playing to learn is playing multiple HIGH TIERS. For example, Peter mains Snake. In a friendly after going Snake a lot, he should go MK. It doesn't matter how well you can use the character. The character can only do certain things. Peter may be a bad example as his MK is probably competent, but even people who can't play him should, simply to give the other player the experience to see all that character can do. Play my MK than Tim's. Tim's may suck harder than mine, but he'll do SOMETHING better, which is what must be focused on to learn to beat it. My Marth likes to run past shields and pivot grab. Predict that and attack as I come in. Tim's Marth spaces like hell with Fair and uses Dancing blade mind games. Adapt to it. Even if we suck at the characters, playing good characters teaches you what the character can do, not the player.

Overall, more focus needs to go into learning. Be competitive, as that is what drives our scene, but when you have the chance, help other players out. You'll learn from it just as much as they learn from you.

Thus ends my post. Comments? Questions? TL;DRs?

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I read that whole thing and I'm really happy to see something so constructive come from you, Dylan.

Then I saw you quoted me in your sig and lol'd.

Anyway, I agree 100%. Everybody take the time and read this post and sink it in. It's got good stuff in it.

tsizzinc

Smash Rookie
this tc guy would be cooler if he had a car and can travel places ;)
man now i'm raged and want a co player to win the next co or oos tourney.

cat smoking hookah avatar sucks, back to the feather...

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Yea, Colorado is totally taking EFL.

...maybe I'll will take up pink MK for friendlies? Maybe?

We'll see how this goes.

Top Bottom