• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cold Shoulders: Ice Climbers Social Thread

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Like 80%. You can also c-stick buffer it if Popo is doing something (otherwise he is doing a d-smash which you don't want).
One great method to only get Nana grabbing for practice is to do a turnaround out of run and then gran, Popo will pivot grab while Nana will dash grab and Nana travels further, just makes your practicing easier.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Another topic, I have got a 20XX edgeguard setup:
Do an empty pivot just before you are at the ledge while running towards it (if you are not in initial dash crouch inbetween to reset to initial dash with this technique). Nana will grab the ledge while Popo is still onstage. Now do nothing and wait for the recovery. If he could grab the ledge, press shield. Nana will ledge roll to induce ledge occupancy frames while you quickly WD out with Popo and punish.

Having 2 characters is such an advantage.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Do an empty pivot just before you are at the ledge while running towards it (if you are not in initial dash crouch inbetween to reset to initial dash with this technique). Nana will grab the ledge while Popo is still onstage. Now do nothing and wait for the recovery. If he could grab the ledge, press shield. Nana will ledge roll to induce ledge occupancy frames while you quickly WD out with Popo and punish.

Wasn't this in melee?

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Now it is easier because the crouch out of run thing etc was harder. It was in Melee. You do have a few more possibilities though because you can do stuff with your turnaround, particularly RAR WD and other desyncs.

Iceman

Smash Apprentice
Like 80%. You can also c-stick buffer it if Popo is doing something (otherwise he is doing a d-smash which you don't want).
One great method to only get Nana grabbing for practice is to do a turnaround out of run and then gran, Popo will pivot grab while Nana will dash grab and Nana travels further, just makes your practicing easier.
So I'm having some trouble getting it. I guess that the timing is giving me some trouble. If I buffer it with the c-stick then I have to input it when I tell Nana to grab?

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I pummeled with nana and held the throw out..must uncover all the secrets all now....

I need a faster way to get one of them on the edge.

oh and you can charge the smash when you do with the roll desync.

Last edited:

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Peach: still bad.
The float approaches are massive, but with more desyncs you have easier desyncs in neutral which help you getting her caught by a Nana sh blizzard. That's your main method stopping her approaches.
You want to approach, but very very slowly. If you purely anti-approach you have problems with different attack timings and Nana always has her shield 6 frames delayed.

Falcon: a bit better.
Falcon cannot float and air stall so he has to commit more and here your new tools are helping you more.

Fox: well...
Use all your neutral game options you regained but lasers are still a problem, as is his unpredictableness, and his edgeguarding and good damage output when separating. Make sure to get the zero-to-deaths

Others were almost even, even or advantageous

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I heard and saw the ganon MU. How does that pan out here? Fly was forced to go sheik against bazzaro in a SSS not to long ago. I later did see fly use ic and win but yea.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
He wasn't that experienced in the matchup, you need to react quick to some approaches. You don't even want him to get an aerial approach so stay close to him while out of his range to react to him jumping. 6 frames jumpsquat and slow aerials. Fly had problems because he had to throw his shield out because otherwise Nana would not shield in time, then Bizarro would do a DJ or an aerial as mixup which is pretty safe. You basically don't want to need to do the preemptive shield to keep Nana safe, so be creative in hindering Ganon before he can get in this advantageous situation.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hey guys, people have been asking me about this all the time so I figured I'd share some good news! We have for the most part fixed throw release points meaning IC's will be able to do ledge hand-offs and some other grab related things they had trouble with now! We are still bug testing so the fix is tenative, but things are looking good for IC's in the future :p.

So uh..don't drop them yet.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Yo Hylian can you plz delay the Nana automatic throw by 2-frames. It has such a tight window right now and I don't think it is good if >10% of the character (the normal handoffs) are dependant on the one very hard window you either can do or not. It is kind of like wobbling in Melee where for example Fly chooses not to do it because you need to completely focus on it.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I delayed the window by a lot before they were even released lol. I think it's pretty easy. It's just not easy in 3.02 because of release points.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
@ Hylian Hylian
Don't know if it isn't possible currently, but also displaying Nana's percentage would be helpful. Of course you can estimate it but you won't be able to do it as correctly as with the number given and that might obviously influence your decisionmaking

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
That would also help your opponent.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
But for the same reason your and your opponent's percentage is shown, it also helps both players.
For me it is just an odd feeling having a character on the screen without knowing the percentage exactly.
Being better at keeping track of nana's % is an inherent trait IC players should have. I promise it will be worse for IC players because nana doesn't DI combo's and people will be able to kill her much easier if they know her %.

Is the timing easier compared to Melee?
Yes.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Being better at keeping track of nana's % is an inherent trait IC players should have. I promise it will be worse for IC players because nana doesn't DI combo's and people will be able to kill her much easier if they know her %.
I see your point! Another question, would it be justified to set the up-tilt SDI modifier to a slightly lower value (like 0.75x)? Normally 1.00x is no problem but with 6 juggling and one ending hitbox it is pretty easy to get out with ASDI only, and even fast enough to punish it what makes the move much worse outside of desyncs, especially considering it is one of the few tools for Sopo.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I like it's niche use. You can cover opponents SDI options with good descyncing play, which is why you often see top IC's in melee only utilt with one climber.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
If the design is directed towards up-tilt being a move for desync combos etc. it is fine as it is :)
I like the fact that pivot up-tilt became easier and you can desync with Nana up-smash Popo up-tilt with it

Iceman

Smash Apprentice
What other
Hey guys, people have been asking me about this all the time so I figured I'd share some good news! We have for the most part fixed throw release points meaning IC's will be able to do ledge hand-offs and some other grab related things they had trouble with now! We are still bug testing so the fix is tenative, but things are looking good for IC's in the future :p.

So uh..don't drop them yet.
What other grab related things will be possible with the fixes?

RideTheLine

Smash Cadet
I heard and saw the ganon MU. How does that pan out here? Fly was forced to go sheik against bazzaro in a SSS not to long ago. I later did see fly use ic and win but yea.
I don't like the Ganon match-up. He can cover a lot of your approaches, and often forces me go into a wall of Blizzards. A particular Ganon I play with is rather stomp-happy, and I can't find any tools to deal with it, except for the occasional uair, but he throws them out way too often for me to counter all of them. His attacks will often clip Nana if you try to shield.

Hey everyone! What stages are good for the Ice Climbers and why are they good for them? Feel free to be specific.
I love me some Fountain and Warioware. Both allow me to abuse my high kill power, and I can cover most of the stage with a single wavedash. The platforms on Warioware also allow for uair and bair shenanigans if an opponent misses a tech above you. If the opponent also has high kill power, like Ganon or something, I like Dreamland for the ability to run away and fire ice blocks. It give plenty of space to set up desynchs and make them play your game.

Also, Iceman, I'm taking notes on your match against Shokio. I played ICs against him once and got absolutely shamed. You held up much better than I could against Roy.

Iceman

Smash Apprentice
I don't like the Ganon match-up. He can cover a lot of your approaches, and often forces me go into a wall of Blizzards. A particular Ganon I play with is rather stomp-happy, and I can't find any tools to deal with it, except for the occasional uair, but he throws them out way too often for me to counter all of them. His attacks will often clip Nana if you try to shield.

I love me some Fountain and Warioware. Both allow me to abuse my high kill power, and I can cover most of the stage with a single wavedash. The platforms on Warioware also allow for uair and bair shenanigans if an opponent misses a tech above you. If the opponent also has high kill power, like Ganon or something, I like Dreamland for the ability to run away and fire ice blocks. It give plenty of space to set up desynchs and make them play your game.

Also, Iceman, I'm taking notes on your match against Shokio. I played ICs against him once and got absolutely shamed. You held up much better than I could against Roy.
Thanks for the compliment, but I wasn't playing my best that day. I think I can do much better against him next time.

RideTheLine

Smash Cadet
Couldn't you just utilt the stomp?
That's one of those match-ups where all my theory goes out the window. I have all the solutions in my head, but he just puts the boot to my face. I switch to Wario, cuz he wrecks Ganon.

Thanks for the compliment, but I wasn't playing my best that day. I think I can do much better against him next time.
I know that feeling. The one time I played him in singles, I got 4-stocked.

KingDozie

Smash Journeyman
I like FOD,Dreamnland,Wario ware depends on the charc, and Battlefield

Top Bottom