• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cold Shoulders: Ice Climbers Social Thread

Smash Journeyman
You can still ledgehog them when the Up-B tethers to the stage for a free KO too.

Phresh123

Smash Apprentice
Here's the D-throw > B-throw one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPJgfNWJq-I

I don't know if there are any videos of the footstool one though.
This is SUPER situational like you really would have to be near edge opposite way its facing, as well as your opponent. I see its down throw to back throw, but in video I dont get how Nana runs to Fox after the down throw. I tired several times and cant get it lol. The Footstall also seems very hard to pull off. I rather just do handoffs near the edge as that seems easiest (dthrow to fthrow.)

moonfolk

Smash Apprentice
UPDATE: Nana only kills the two of you when you up-b before finishing tumble. I have no idea why.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
@ Hylian Hylian on the subject of blind spots, I still feel like Fsmash and Upsmash still have blind spots in the animation especially when going for Upthrow, even moreso on smaller characters. It might just have to do with the timing I'm doing it. For instance, charged N.Fsmash delay P.Uthrow on olimar. I think I'm just too nitpicky about the little things nowadays. I do get what you mean about Ice Climbers though. I came through to play a more balanced version of them since I play them in brawl and there was pretty much ONLY chaingrabs, which heavily stunted the rest of the Ice Climbers' metagame for years. Remember just how long it took for everyone to realize "hey, you know you can just walk up, pick up snake's grenade and throw it out of the way so you can keep chaingrabbing right?"

This is SUPER situational like you really would have to be near edge opposite way its facing, as well as your opponent. I see its down throw to back throw, but in video I dont get how Nana runs to Fox after the down throw. I tired several times and cant get it lol. The Footstall also seems very hard to pull off. I rather just do handoffs near the edge as that seems easiest (dthrow to fthrow.)
Reminder that that video is from 3.0, so nana's grab pivot points are farther in. The footstool one I only saw a video on it on instagram, too lazy to pull it up. It feels less consistent than the others to me, especially character to character wise.

Smash Journeyman
UPDATE: Nana only kills the two of you when you up-b before finishing tumble. I have no idea why.
This has always been the case. Nana won't Up-B with you if She is in tumble. The best way around this is to do U-airs or B-airs to get Her out of tumble before you Up-B.

moonfolk

Smash Apprentice
This has always been the case. Nana won't Up-B with you if She is in tumble. The best way around this is to do U-airs or B-airs to get Her out of tumble before you Up-B.
Thanks. Never knew that. I guess I usually die if I'm in tumble and that low anyway lol.

Found something interesting just now while experimenting with DACUS. If you input back immediately after you hit z, Nana will run forward and do a pivot grab instead of a normal running grab (I actually just do diagonal up-back when pressing z for the DACUS and it works too). Might make their DACUS more useful. Also experimenting with dashdance into DACUS with some interesting results. The best is when Nana dash attacks and Popo d-smashes. It's just a result of desynched mistimed DACUSes though, I think. Anyway, I bet there's something more to this DACUS business than meets the eye.

Last edited:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
@ Hylian Hylian on the subject of blind spots, I still feel like Fsmash and Upsmash still have blind spots in the animation especially when going for Upthrow, even moreso on smaller characters. It might just have to do with the timing I'm doing it. For instance, charged N.Fsmash delay P.Uthrow on olimar. I think I'm just too nitpicky about the little things nowadays. I do get what you mean about Ice Climbers though. I came through to play a more balanced version of them since I play them in brawl and there was pretty much ONLY chaingrabs, which heavily stunted the rest of the Ice Climbers' metagame for years. Remember just how long it took for everyone to realize "hey, you know you can just walk up, pick up snake's grenade and throw it out of the way so you can keep chaingrabbing right?"

Reminder that that video is from 3.0, so nana's grab pivot points are farther in. The footstool one I only saw a video on it on instagram, too lazy to pull it up. It feels less consistent than the others to me, especially character to character wise.
I don't think they have blindspots. I never have problems with them anyways. You can check yourself in debug mode :).

Last edited:

peeup

Smash Lord
Does anyone other than Hylian play ics successfully at a top level? I'm looking for videos to learn from, hoping to transition my ics from melee to pm this summer.

Damp

Smash Apprentice
So I got a $20 mm against @ Phresh123 Phresh123 coming up at Blacklisted. I'm gonna be labbing hard and making sure I'm ready. I already feel like I'm one of the top ICs, so we'll see how good I really am I guess. Make sure you guys all tune in, since it will most likely be on stream during the Salty Suite type thing.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
There is no way IC dittos represent who is a better IC player haha. Probably the most dumb ditto in the game.

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, an IC ditto doesn't prove much unless someone gets completely bodied. I find it funny that people are talking about who the top ICs players are. You're automatically top 10 just for playing the character.

Phresh123

Smash Apprentice
There is no way IC dittos represent who is a better IC player haha. Probably the most dumb ditto in the game.
I concur, Jiggs is the worst ditto LOL.

But I do agree on your point. To see whose a better IC's would be who wins in the mu vs per say peach, zelda, samus, TL.. Our worse matchups.

FirewaterDM

Smash Apprentice
Makes sense... hopefully I get to see/play some friendlies with yall at Blacklisted but that's totally dependent on if I can find a carpool or not.

Phresh123

Smash Apprentice
Makes sense... hopefully I get to see/play some friendlies with yall at Blacklisted but that's totally dependent on if I can find a carpool or not.
Same here i'm from NY so the team and I are trying to find a way out there

Damp

Smash Apprentice
I'm probably gonna go all ICs tonight at Smashing Grounds, so if you guys wanna watch, I usually get on stream once or twice. I'll post the VODs after so you guys can critique/learn stuff.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Just a heads up:

For 3.6 I am giving nana back her 3.5 recovery. So she will up-b again.

Aside from this I plan on not making anymore changes to IC's in PM unless it's a bugfix. Ever. :). This character is done. If a change happens, I didn't want it/argued against it.

So you are free to practice and break the character to your heart's extent. As long as something like an easy infinite isn't found anywhere on the stage they probably won't be touched. This includes things like being able to edgeguard their up-b by edgehogging it after nana grabs it.

FirewaterDM

Smash Apprentice
Just curious, what about the 3.6 recovery for Nana makes it worse than 3.5's version?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Just curious, what about the 3.6 recovery for Nana makes it worse than 3.5's version?
In 3.6 she doesn't ever use up-b. That was taken out to avoid her killing popo. I decided(while also talking to some other IC mains about it like fumbles) that her 3.5 recovery was actually better and promoted more skillful play as well. She won't ever kill you if you just wait for her to up-b, and you can save her in many situations that would be impossible to save her if she didn't because of it. The tradeoff is you have to keep your opponent occupied, and you have to risk her killing you by using up-b right before you do. Overall I think it promotes knowing your character better and better suits their high risk high reward style of play.

Laughman99

Smash Rookie
@ Hylian Hylian does this recovery change include Nana changing directions in the air depending on which way Popo is facing? Like it is in the current 3.6B

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'm pretty sure that isn't a thing.

Damp

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure that isn't a thing.
It is. Nana randomly turns her back towards the stage right as she's about to grab it. It's very frustrating when I choose to not go offstage to recover with Nana because she is going to safely grab ledge on her own, but then she somehow pivots in mid air and rubs her back against the ledge. Happens fairly often too.

Last edited:

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
It is. Nana randomly turns her back towards the stage right as she's about to grab it. It's very frustrating when I choose to not go offstage to recover with Nana because she is going to safely grab ledge on her own, but then she somehow pivots in mid air and rubs her back against the ledge. Happens fairly often too.
Hmm. Well KC said he just reverted her recovery to 3.5, so I hope that will fix it. I need to test it.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Can you show me a video? I've never seen this happen.

Damp

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately, I don't seem to have any examples from streamed matches. I'll try it out on dolphin and see if I can recreate it.

Damp

Smash Apprentice
It might have something to do with Nana being in the air while Popo is on the ground, but she's in sync range or something. If you desync, jump with Nana, and then dashdance with Popo, Nana pivots in the air.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Interesting. I'm guessing that would be hard to remove without messing with control over her. I've never had this happen to me so *shrugs*. Seems very situational.

Damp

Smash Apprentice
It happens to me fairly often though. At least once a tournament. Sucks that there's really nothing that can be done, but at least you actively try to fix Ice Climbers and make appropriate changes to them. Unlike whoever works on Yoshi changes...

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I think you might be able to just play around this. I can see it ruining things like nana turn around while charging if removed.

And thanks. It helps that I pretty much am the only person working on IC's(well making choices for them, KC/camelot do all the work :p). I don't have to argue with a bunch of people to make changes.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Oh. That is actually much better than you think it is. It may get her killed every now and then, but it save a lot of time when she resyncs to you, and is better when you jump off to sync up with her again as well. If she had to land first she would waste frames in her turn-around animation. I'm pretty sure it's done this since brawl which is why I'm so used to it.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Went to a regional monthly and placed 3rd with IC's. I was playing really well despite not having practiced much. I double 4 stocked someone I had lost to the last tournament I played them at lol. I didn't even really chaingrab anyone the entire tournament, just outplayed everyone in neutral because this character's neutral game is absurdly good.

Here's a taste:
http://www.twitch.tv/socostreams/b/681959867

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
^ Get gud. Chaingrabs or bust.

I can chaingrab, I just hadn't practiced them recently lol. I mean I'm the one who tested the ledge hand-offs on every single character in the game while IC's were in development to make sure they work right. Point was, despite my rust when it came to chaingrabbing, I was playing well in neutral(probably as a result of me practicing a ton of melee for Evo and getting better at smash in general because of it) and it was fun.

ZGE

Smash Apprentice
I can chaingrab, I just hadn't practiced them recently lol. I mean I'm the one who tested the ledge hand-offs on every single character in the game while IC's were in development to make sure they work right. Point was, despite my rust when it came to chaingrabbing, I was playing well in neutral(probably as a result of me practicing a ton of melee for Evo and getting better at smash in general because of it) and it was fun.
Lol Hylian check out my location and mains then determine if my OP was serious or not :D sup man. Bummer I wasn't there.

Top Bottom