• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Code to use partial shoulder-button press?

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
Sorry if this has been asked or posted, but I haven't seen it.

Is there any possibility of adding a code to make the shoulder buttons register without having to click them in all the way? I'd reeeeeally like to see something like that.

Thanks! :D

EDIT: I'm NOT talking about light-shielding and variable shield strength. I'm talking about having the shoulder button register a press when you press the button down part-way. I'm asking if it's possible to find whatever spot checks that value and change the requirement for the shoulder to be considered pressed.

D

Deleted member

WHERE are people getting it from that the game doesn't recognise analog input??????

seriously have you people seen the game's RAM or something?

the game DOES recognize analog input, it just doesn't DO anything with it.
there are 2 main problems in making lightshielding.

1) it is still not easy to code and me and almas have other things to do.

2) why do people want it so badly? brawl shields are still waaaay better than melee shields due to the fact that there is no shield drop time.
Striked is unrelated.

D

Deleted member

>______>

brawl registers it, somewhere, but doesn't turn into an actual button press. so yes it registers, but it is still hard to make a workign code for it.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
>______>

brawl registers it, somewhere, but doesn't turn into an actual button press. so yes it registers, but it is still hard to make a workign code for it.
It only registers to Sakurai, and he says, "No."

Maybe using the Conditional Action Mod to change "nothing" into "shield" would do the trick, but it would probably take extensive hacking to find it.

Sph34r

Smash Journeyman
That's the problem though. GC mode sucks. You have to turn your Wii on/off if you want to exit whatever it is you're playing.

Someone just needs to find where it is the game stores the input from "lighter" pressing and turn it into light shielding.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
That's the problem though. GC mode sucks. You have to turn your Wii on/off if you want to exit whatever it is you're playing.

Someone just needs to find where it is the game stores the input from "lighter" pressing and turn it into light shielding.
The issues is it would be very difficult to patch an IOS based on MIOS stuff, would likely screw some games over and you'd have to make it applicable to our current game, your best bet is rebuilding Brawl to make it run in GC mode.

Revven

FrankerZ
You can't "program" light shielding. If it isn't in the game originally, it is not possible to ADD it into the game.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
You can't "program" light shielding. If it isn't in the game originally, it is not possible to ADD it into the game.
>_________> I'm just gonna say that it would be possible to add something like light shielding into the game. But its not worth the trouble.

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
Guys, please read the post carefully. I am ***NOT*** talking about variable shield sizes. I didn't even mention shields to try and avoid confusion.

I'm talking about getting a partial-press of the shoulder buttons to register a "press", so I don't have to get cramps in my hand from jamming the shoulder button down all the time.

(I know some people understood, I'm just responding to the light-shielding comments.)

So there is a GC mode and Wii mode, where Wii mode can't detect analog input from the controller? That sucks. D:

cman

Smash Ace
I have R set to jump, and it would be amazingly helpful to register a light press as a jump for me.

Revven

FrankerZ
>_________> I'm just gonna say that it would be possible to add something like light shielding into the game. But its not worth the trouble.
I'm talking about exactly how it is in Melee. The whole bigger shield, lighter color, lasts longer. Of course you cold conjure something up like that by making the current shield bigger, last longer, and perhaps a lighter more transparent color. As well as somehow react to that button press. But like you said, that wouldn't be worth it.

timothyung

Smash Ace
So there is a GC mode and Wii mode, where Wii mode can't detect analog input from the controller? That sucks. D:
Did you play Mario Kart Wii? When the Wii detects the digital input or R/L, you can hold an item until you release the trigger to about half way, even when the digital button is not held. When the trigger is above half way, you use the item.
tl;dr: Wii mode detect analog input from the controller

>______>

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
It can be made maybe, because I KNOW that the Wii - mode can register the analog Shoulder Buttons, in Budokai Tenkaichi 3 for Wii, when you lightly tap an shoulder Button, you fly up/down, but if you press the whole Shoulder button, you fly up/down faster (dragonsprint).

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
Okay, so though it may be difficult, it should be doable... if there is enough motivation for the hard-working coders to figure it out. (And I sincerely appreciate all the work you guys have put into B+ so far!)

Given that some players have even modded their controllers so they don't have to click the buttons all the way in, I'm sure there are a bunch of people that would also like such a code, right? :3

illinialex24

Smash Hero
It can be made maybe, because I KNOW that the Wii - mode can register the analog Shoulder Buttons, in Budokai Tenkaichi 3 for Wii, when you lightly tap an shoulder Button, you fly up/down, but if you press the whole Shoulder button, you fly up/down faster (dragonsprint).
Seriously?? So it is coded into the Wii, so it wouldnt have to be rebuilt NICE!

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
Seriously?? So it is coded into the Wii, so it wouldnt have to be rebuilt NICE!
Yeah, you can trust me, Budokai Tenkaichi 3 runs on Wii-mode and it registers the analog input from the Shoulder buttons from the GC Pad, and even the Analog input from the Classic Controller works.

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
Or, you could just do what I did and remove the springs from your L/R buttons. It makes them like a normal button press like all the buttons on the controller. And since controller mods aren't illegal in Brawl tourneys, it all works out. You just need a tri-wing screwdriver.

Unless you guys do want to do the coding for it, it would be interesting to see that.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Or, you could just do what I did and remove the springs from your L/R buttons. It makes them like a normal button press like all the buttons on the controller. And since controller mods aren't illegal in Brawl tourneys, it all works out. You just need a tri-wing screwdriver.

Unless you guys do want to do the coding for it, it would be interesting to see that.
I'm pretty sure controller mods actually are illegal unless its a color mod. Just saying, from what I remember from melee, it is.

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
yes for Melee, not Brawl though.

I just tried to find my hard evidence of it being allowed, and I couldn't. I checked the SBR Recommended Rules set, and it doesn't say anything about modded controllers, only modded/pirated Wii's.

Plus I don't think forward would steer me in the wrong direction.... would he? He told me about removing the springs, and every Brawl tourney I've been too no one's said anything about my controller, but I have had people ask me about them.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
The rule I've heard..
You can remove things from the controller, but not add anything.

...Paint doesn't count.

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
The rule I've heard is that for Melee you can't have mods done to your controller that would give you an unfair advantage. The removal of the springs while playing Melee would make it a lot easier to l-cancel and powershield.

Since Brawl doesn't do anything with the analog input from the shoulder buttons, having the spring in there is unnecessary. The shoulder buttons sit down lower, right above the area where when you press the button down and you get the *click* sound, making it like a normal button press like all the other buttons on the controller.

D

Deleted member

Since Brawl doesn't recognize the analog input from the shoulder buttons,
IT DOES!!!

dammit, how often do I have to say that?

it just doesn't DO anything with it. that's where a code comes in. just to prove yo uall wrong, I'll do my best to have a working code by sunday.
(I say sunday cuz I'm lazy, I could finish it today if I really wanted, but I don't.)

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
Yeah you should definitely check it out. I have a controller for Brawl, and one for Melee. I also changed color shells on my controllers while I was removing the springs too. It's pretty interesting to see how the controller works too. You just need a tri-wing screwdriver.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Yeah you should definitely check it out. I have a controller for Brawl, and one for Melee. I also changed color shells on my controllers while I was removing the springs too. It's pretty interesting to see how the controller works too. You just need a tri-wing screwdriver.
Nice, that sounds pretty cool, I got one controller I don't like as much so I might mod that one, I kinda like my current one for Brawl and melee :)

D

Deleted member

since we're talking controller mods here anyway, where can you find tri-wing screwdrivers?

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
They are very difficult to find in the states. I did find one at a Play n Trade here in town, but the quality of it wasn't great, and it didn't have a magnetic tip. It came with with this faceplate replacement for the wiimote.

The one I have now I ordered from PlayAsia, I believe with shipping all together cost me about $7 and it got to me in about 2weeks.

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
I think the fact that some people feel the need to mod their controllers because of the lack of a partial-shoulder-button-press says something for how appreciated a code for this would be, ya? :3

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
Well since Paprika plans to have the code for it done by Sunday, it's definitely faster than ordering a screwdriver for China, and it's free. Unless someone happens to find a store that hold them.

I did my controller mods back in January, well before Paprika planned and doing this code. I'm not dogging on, or discouraging use of his code at all, hell I'll even be trying it out. I merely provided another solution.

And like I said while you would be taking the springs out, it's a good time to switch different colored shells on your controllers around, if your interested in doing so. Like my Brawl controller has white faceplate and a clear backplate, and I have a bunch of other weird color combos.

D

Deleted member

nice one magus, I ordered one. I mean for 50 eurocent, what can go wrong?

TEECO

Smash Ace
One thing you can do is take your controller apart, and take the springs out that hold the L and R buttons so high. So instead of pressing down on the spring to reach the actual buttons, you're just pressing the actual button.

Its really easy to do.

Edit: It's been said, but just hear it from me now lol

The Phazon Assassin

Smash Champion
This is exactly what I do. I got my controller modded in February. Whenever my friends play with it, they tell me that the controller is cheating. It helps IMMENSLY with power shielding, and I play Dedede, so it's beyond necesary. I got so used to it, I kinda can't use a springed controller.

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
Yeah, it does make Brawl powershielding easier, but Brawl powershielding is already much more easier than Melee powershielding AND it doesn't do cool stuff like reflect s*** back in people's faces, so really there isn't a problem with it being cheating.

I havn't gotten used to either controller type, I use both on a regular basis, so I'm all good.

Top Bottom