• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Code request: Shield Raise/Drop Time

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
I realize that a lot of people don't think that this is necessary, but I would like to officially request a code that puts a 1-3 frame delay on raising the shield. If any of you coders can figure this out, I would love to playtest the game with this adjustment. I know a lot of people that have agreed with me that this is an issue with the game, and the only way to know for sure if it makes things better is to test.

Almas

Smash Lord
Should be possible by altering the animation speed of the shield drop/raise animation. Unless the shield counts as being out while you're raising/lowering it, in which case we'd have a problem.

Spunit seems to be the king of animation changes at the moment, but he seems to be MIA. I don't really have much experience with dealing with this kind of thing, I have to say. Igglyboo gave me some notes to look at that may contain a hint, but I'm not sure how fast I'd be able to progress on this thing.

Still, I proclaim that I'm on holiday until atleast wednesday.

shanus

Smash Hero
Didn't spunit already make a code for this? And then we cut it down since we decided we didnt want to change those values?

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Yeah. I think this might exist already. I'm against it, but I might be able to see a point in raising shield drop time. I just don't want to nerf defense too much. And we've done a lot to nerf defense already.

And just an FYI: All shields come out on either frame 1 or 2, which honestly shouldn't matter since this is part of the powershield window to begin with.

KishPrime

BRoomer
Well I don't necessarily use the codeset that you all use, I happen to think you buffed offense too much and did not nerf defense very much at all. I think that this is a much more practical way to adjust the mechanics.

But then again, I could be wrong. Which is why I'd like to test it.

What do you mean all shields come out on either frame 1 or 2? Is it random? Dependent on something? You just don't know?

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
It depends on the character. AFAIK, some come out frame 1, and others on frame 2. I haven't tested it myself, yet, but I think those that come out on frame 2 have a default PS window of 4 frames and those that come out on frame 1 have a default PS window of 3 frames.

KishPrime

BRoomer
Wow. That's pretty amazing. I didn't know there was a difference between different characters.

KishSquared

Smash Master
I found the code for the debug-style single frame advancing, but is there a code yet that highlights hitboxes in red?

Almas

Smash Lord
It's questionable whether such a thing is possible at this time. It's just not coded in the game at all. It may be hypothetically possible to do it attack by attack, but that would be time consuming.

KishSquared

Smash Master
I just assumed that hitboxes were invisible polygons, and maybe there could be a global setting for changing the color. Doing it move-by-move might be good to do for some specific moves to figure out how they work, but there's no reason to devote time to it now.

Back on topic, just the normal frame-by-frame debug code should be good for evaluating shield raise/drop times.

KishPrime

BRoomer
I guess I'll do the legwork tonight to search the old threads for a code if you all think it may have been developed. Which thread would it be in, if any?

spunit262

Smash Journeyman
Should be possible by altering the animation speed of the shield drop/raise animation. Unless the shield counts as being out while you're raising/lowering it, in which case we'd have a problem.

Spunit seems to be the king of animation changes at the moment, but he seems to be MIA. I don't really have much experience with dealing with this kind of thing, I have to say. Igglyboo gave me some notes to look at that may contain a hint, but I'm not sure how fast I'd be able to progress on this thing.

Still, I proclaim that I'm on holiday until atleast wednesday.
It not possible with that route. The shield always comes out at the same speed no mater what the animation speed is, even a 0 it still comes out.

KishSquared

Smash Master
Is it possible for us to "hack" every Gamecube controller in the world with a tiny object, and this tiny object actually adds a single frame of lag when depressing the L and R buttons? We could consider using grains of sand, or pocket lint (preferable because it doesn't add a noticeable grinding effect), or even splinters of wood.

The Cape

Smash Master
The more I think about this, the more I feel its an excellent idea.

The sheild stun is perfect, but we can still drop the sheilds too quick. By making them come up and drop slower it would limit the options of the sheild and therefore help us fix this (still dominating) defense.

Top Bottom