• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cloud Strife Announced For Smash 4!

When the first Nintendo Direct was announced since the passing of Satoru Iwata Nintendo fans were excited. Then Sakurai himself retweeted the direct and the website movie list for Smash broke (something that has happened before other DLC videos released). Well Smash fans the hype was very real as we got a brand new character coming to Smash: Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy 7!

Also hinted in the video are Chocobo costumes for the Miis. In the Nintendo direct itself it was announced a special Smash broadcast would be taking place some time in Decemember 2015. Will this be a big broadcast about the Smash Ballot? Excited to see Cloud in Smash? Let us know in the comments below and stay tuned to Smashboards for future news coverage!

Comments

This is pretty much Brutal Doom all over again. :U Overrated and the fans are calling those complaining "h8ters l0lolol0l"...

...Pleasant.

I would even be cool if Cloud wasn't included but we still got that amazing Midgar stage.

Personally, I would have preferred Terra or Wariior of Light personally but Cloud is good in my book. At least we didn't get Lightning. Also, all of the PSASBR fan boys must be writing in thier graves right now.

I already see the comments overflowing with misconceptions:

-Sora, as much as I love him (I actually voted for him in the ballot), would NOT be a Square Enix rep - Disney COMPLETELY OWN all of the copyrights to the original KH characters, as stated by Tetsuya Nomura (Square Enix legend) in the KH Ultimania. So Sora and Cloud don't really effect each other as reps, since they would represent two different companies, even if the two both feature in the same series and share the same creator.

-Cloud has appeared in a few Nintendo games. Not as a major role in any of them really, but he is not without a presence on Nintendo. Off the top of my head, he's in:

• Final Fantasy Tactics on the GBA
  • Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories on the GBA
  • Kingdom Hearts - Re: coded on the DS
  • Final Fantasy Theatyrhythm and it's sequel on 3DS
  • The upcoming Final Fantasy Explorers on 3DS
That being said, I was very surprised myself, and I would have preferred someone like Cecil Harvey or Black Mage as a SE rep since they have more relevance to Nintendo. But I am fine with Cloud, and he's pretty much here because FFVII is what made RPGs mainstream, and they are a big thing on Nintendo. I've always wanted an SE rep as I feel they are huge Nintendo collaborators and I like a lot of their games.

Cloud does advertise for Sony more than anything, kinda like what people say about Snake. However, Cloud is unarguably on par with the 3rd parties we already have. He's the mascot of Square Enix and he helped make what is now a huge game genre become mainstream. He's a welcome addition that I can much more easily get excited for than a C-list, one dimensional Nintendo character like K. Rool or Daisy or something.

Nice tasty tears from Shovel Knight, Shantae and Dixie Kong fanboys. I honestly don't mind but Sm4sh fanboys,will never be satisfied :/
As a Shantae supporter I ain't even mad. I'm ecstatic, in fact. This pretty much opens the door for anyone at this point!

"I do not want another swordfighter"
*adds more swords because why the hell not
SPEAKING OF WHY THE HELL NOT
What reason does sakurai have to destroy our souls like this

Sakurai...clearly gives zero ****s....

I can't....I just....I can't even....

If there was a scale between one and even...
I just can't....

For the record, this is the most hyped I've been for a character...

Unpopular opinion time: I'm actually fine with this. I mean, Final Fantasy is a very popular series as a whole, and while Cloud may not have been my first choice for a Square-Enix rep, he's still much more iconic than all the other third party characters I've seen requested. He's still a better choice than Shantae or Shovel Knight ever would have been. Not to mention, I'm actually perfectly fine with another swordsman if he can be different. I'm not going to judge him based on a trailer, so I'll judge him when I see actual gameplay instead.

Just had some stuff I wanted to say.

"Hey guise, y'know what've been awesome... in brawl, if like, they put in Cloud from Final Fantasy 7. Heh heh, heh, heh."

Yep.

I like that Cloud's Omnislash FS confirms that Ike's FS was really "inspired" by that.

Seriously, it's Ike's FS, and Robin's FS wasn't that different from Ike's as well, just inferior and very easily KS'd.

Last edited:
I have very mix feelings about Cloud being in the game but I really want either Bayonetta or Sora (Kingdom Hearts) to be in the game.

I'm so excited! When I heard the FFVII Opening music, I couldn't believe it! I thought Sakurai was trying to play a joke on us. Can't wait to play as Cloud.

I loved FF7 back in the day. Beat that game several times. But I'm not too big on this choice, simply because we already have SOOOO many sword characters in the game. We do not need another one, I'd like to have seen a more unique character with potential to bring something different to smash. Clould has a long sword disjoint so they're going to have to make him slow and/or laggy to balance him. So I don't know how they'll differentiate him from Shulk and Ike. The promo video he looked like he'll play very similar to those characters.

I don't know why there's so much hate. I was so happy seeing a character I never expected! This also gives me the feeling they may open more character spots than the three that we speculated would be it for characters.

I'm probably wrong about this, but didn't Sakurai say somewhere that it takes a few months to complete one character sometimes? If so, Cloud seems awfully... complete for a character that was decided on after the Ballot ended last month. Part of me wonders if Cloud was another pre-planned character even though they said Ryu and Roy were the last? Or did they just randomly think "oh hey, let's throw in Cloud now!" Eh, they probably just worked fast. I'm looking forward to seeing the other characters we get. *fingers crossed for a Metroid character*

At this point, Smash may have very well gone from a Nintendo-only affair to a pantheon for video game legends.

...not that I have a problem with it. The third-party characters in this game thus far seemed to have earned their place.

I hate every installment of FF. Let the rage begin :| I hope the news flash will give acutally exciting news. I would rate the Direct 3 out of 10. We basically knew most of this already and there were so few new titles. I was at least hoping for Pikmin 4... And those trailers were waaaay to long. The best thing about the direct was pokemon blue,red,yellow announced for Virtual console. I hadn't high expectations: Pikmin 4 gameplay or (cinematic) trailer and the smash ballot. None of them came true. And Clouds moveset looks pretty meh. He looks pretty Ike'ish to the point were nintendo even said: let'S show of how similar his Ultra smash is too Ike's...

I'm probably wrong about this, but didn't Sakurai say somewhere that it takes a few months to complete one character sometimes? If so, Cloud seems awfully... complete for a character that was decided on after the Ballot ended last month. Part of me wonders if Cloud was another pre-planned character even though they said Ryu and Roy were the last? Or did they just randomly think "oh hey, let's throw in Cloud now!" Eh, they probably just worked fast. I'm looking forward to seeing the other characters we get. *fingers crossed for a Metroid character*
I think they said that so they could surprise us with more characters. Remember we shouldn't know about Roy and Ryu. And Lucas really came "out of nowhere" Also I can't imagine to take 1 character several months with a good (and not small) team working on it and teh game already completed.

The Smash Boards entitlement is real. This news is awesome. This opens the doors for Square-Enix content AND greatly increases the possibility of FFVII HD on the NX. This is big for Nintendo and a blow to both Sony and Microsoft. Square didn't even let Cloud in that crap fest, Playstation All-Stars. And Microsoft who tried to pull FF away from Sony has failed miserably. And I honestly hope they don't add clone or semi-clones like Wolf in for DLC. Everyone here complained about Wolf when he was announced because he was not a well known character and was essentially an altered clone of Fox. NOW that he has been cut people still complain. Go eat your frozen gourmet yogurt at Whole Foods and stop complaining already.

I don't know whether to feel happy or annoyed.
On one side, we get a new character, with a semi unique moveset, and a new stage with music to boot.
But on the other side, It's another swordsmen, with just sword attacks, not summons or anything. He barely has any histrory with nintendo and he doesn't deserve it, the square enix rep spot should go to Black Mage, Geno or Terra Branford.

Now, this is a story all about how
My life got flipped-turned upside down
And I'd like to take a minute
Just sit right there
I'll tell you how Nintendo showed us that they just don't care

As a true Nintendo fan born and raised
So on Nintendo systems was where I spent most of my days
Mario and Zelda just to name a few
And Metroid and Pokémon were also really cool
But then a couple of 'higher ups' who were up to no good
Started making decisions that no one understood
I saw Metroid Federation Force and I quickly got scared
But I still had a feeling that Nintendo really cared

So today I waited for the direct and when it came near
The hype got real and I forgot about the fear
While watching the first minutes I saw that this direct was rare
But I thought 'Nah, forget it' - 'Nintendo probably cares...'

Then after the worst direct ever: it really wasn't great
I yelled to my friends 'How can Cloud be in this game!?'
I looked at my Wii U
and wished it wasn't there
As I now finally knew, that Nintendo doesn't care

to say i'm disappointed would be an understatement. Of all the FF/square enix characters to choose, they chose one who has absolutely 0 significance to nintendo. the most cloud has ever done, is appeared in KH cameo's for KH games on a nintendo system. Square must have payed a high price to nintendo/sakurai to let them ***** out their poster boy once again. Sakurai also just went back on his word that he would only allow 3rd parties who had some sort of significance to nintendo.

Finally to make matters worse, cloud's moveset looks like a sloppy mix-match of current sword users moves, hell he even has a complete rip-off of Ike's final smash.
To be fair clouds omnislash looks exactly like it does in the games except it launches them into the air to do it, in the regards, Final aether copied omnislash

to say i'm disappointed would be an understatement. Of all the FF/square enix characters to choose, they chose one who has absolutely 0 significance to nintendo. the most cloud has ever done, is appeared in KH cameo's for KH games on a nintendo system. Square must have payed a high price to nintendo/sakurai to let them ***** out their poster boy once again. Sakurai also just went back on his word that he would only allow 3rd parties who had some sort of significance to nintendo.

Finally to make matters worse, cloud's moveset looks like a sloppy mix-match of current sword users moves, hell he even has a complete rip-off of Ike's final smash.
bro everyone who saw Ike's final smash thought Omnislash, Cloud is the OG swordsman

I am definitely going to pick that new stage all the time. Tournaments, friendlies, practice. Non-omega. Holy hell.

People keep calling Cloud generic.

Cloud is the reason those cliches are generic.

He popularized/invented them.

Honestly, Nintendo fans need to branch out a bit more.

Top Bottom