• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cloud Strife Announced For Smash 4!

When the first Nintendo Direct was announced since the passing of Satoru Iwata Nintendo fans were excited. Then Sakurai himself retweeted the direct and the website movie list for Smash broke (something that has happened before other DLC videos released). Well Smash fans the hype was very real as we got a brand new character coming to Smash: Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy 7!

Also hinted in the video are Chocobo costumes for the Miis. In the Nintendo direct itself it was announced a special Smash broadcast would be taking place some time in Decemember 2015. Will this be a big broadcast about the Smash Ballot? Excited to see Cloud in Smash? Let us know in the comments below and stay tuned to Smashboards for future news coverage!

Comments

Are you kidding me? Another anime swordsman, AND with a super uninspired moveset to boot to the point of recycling Ike's final smash wholesale? Couldn't they give him a more unique moveset??
I like how you choose to get hung on his Final Smash while ignoring the fact that he has SUMMONS!
Is like you didn't watch the trailer at all, his moveset takes from the Limit Breaks such as Crosslash and Finishing Touch and they look nothing like other characters' moves, his A attacks include a Slide and a high jumping thrust as well.
At this point people just see someone with a sword and yell "buh, another animu swordsman" while ignoring what separates them from others. Also, there are no anime characters in this game.

sakurai's probably giggling like a ***** at this very moment, sitting on his wolfskin rug playing super smash flash

This is just ****ing stupid. Not Terra, or anyone else that were ACTUALLY IN A NINTENDO CONSOLE!? **** that ****, you get the pretty bot with the lackluster move set and a final smash that's basically Great Ether 2.0 edgy edition.

You guys are the reason why we have cancerous **** like wanting a ****ty indie game knight, a **** boy, and somebody that comes straight out of a ****ing anime. Hell what's stopping them from bringing Goku now?! OH wait if they even tried it wouldn't even be him. It would have been ****ing Gohan or somebody no one ****ing cares about, because that's how it works with new ****.

At least ****ing Snake HAD entries in Nintendo titles. Enjoy your ****ing edgy *** **** boy cross dressing husbando.
Cloud is the most iconic, and you are what's making this community cancerous.

D
This was totally unexpected, to say the least. I don't even play Final Fantasy and see this as a good addition to the roster.

Wow that was out of left field.

At this point, there is absolutely no reason to exclude Snake and Banjo from the playable roster. I mean CLOUD! Of all potential characters, they add freaking Cloud Strife. I mean, I'm hyped as hell for this but seriously?

Pls bring him back:snake:

You guys are such complainers! Out of all the stupid people we could have gotten, Cloud was not one of them! I never thought this would happen, and I am hyped!!!
How dare people disagree!!

Really though, super not hyped about Cloud.

Why are so many people being ungrateful right now...... Smh
Grateful for what? Nothing is being given. It's DLC, a product that costs money.
The consumer has the right to share their opinion, don't act like everyone is stupid if they don't agree with you.

Last edited:
Wow...Cloud Strife's reveal was something to behold.. :laugh: At first, I thought we were getting a 6th Super Smash Bros. installment in the form of a new "Super Smash Bros. x Final Fantasy" game..

In any case, I'm moderately excited that Cloud is in the game (even more so that the Final Fantasy series' Universe is now established in the Super Smash Bros. series - a major foot in the door for potential characters like Final Fantasy 1's Black Mage (who currently has a fantastic moveset implementation in Super Smash Flash 2) and Kingdom Hearts' Sora (a series that incorporates many Final Fantasy elements).. This announcement was definitely unexpected, though; from my brief searching, Cloud doesn't even have a Super Smash Bros. 4 character support thread! :eek: Props to anyone who guessed him, and congratulations to his voters (of which there was at least one). Honestly, I've just relegated Cloud to the Super Smash Flash series (mainly SSF1) in the past; I felt that other characters and sword-users were much more feasible options.. I like how he didn't make the cut (as of yet) for Super Smash Flash 2 but managed to get in Super Smash Bros. 4.. XD

My main aversion to Cloud's potential inclusion is that I'm worried that Cloud's playstyle will be too similar to the existing swordsmen that have already been featured in Super Smash Bros. - namely, Ike and Shulk, the other 2 "Big Effing Sword" wielders. I feel like there's only so much you can do with a sword (in the context of Super Smash Bros.' engine) that hasn't already been done by other sword characters, but I'll hold out hope for variety.
I'll excuse the potential "Omnislash" Final Smash similarity to Ike's Great Aether, Link's (and Toon Link's) Tri-force Slash, and Kirby's Ultra Sword (and to an extent, Greninja's Final Smash. And I feel that Kirby's Final Smash was fine as Cook Kirby or could be changed to something that's not representative of just one game, but that's an aside remark). The Omnislash predated Great Aether, in any case, and it does fit Cloud as a finishing move. At this rate, the concept of "rapid multi-strike attack that holds a foe in place" seems as often-used in fiction-based/fantasy franchises as the concept of "Limit Breaks" and "Super Modes" are, anyway; I guess I'll just have to get used to it (and this type of attack really needs some type of trope page).
Although I guess I'm biased since I main a swordsman (Link :4link:) and am hoping for a sword-using-but-not-sword-centric swordsman (Isaac of Golden Sun), I don't see an issue with the influx of sword users; in my opinion, at this rate, all of the current playable sword users (barring a slot-filling Lucina, who I feel is best relegated to an alternate costume) have earned their spots in Super Smash Bros. And aside from fisticuffs and firearms, the sword is likely the most ubiquitous weapon used in fiction-based/fantasy franchises (and in general fighting, really), so it's going to continue popping up. Granted, there are other weapons aside from swords, and the Fire Emblem Universe could be a great showcase of this with significant characters.

As for other remarks, I loved Cloud's "Cloud Storms Into Battle!" tagline, as well as the epic "Limits are meant to be broken!" quote (which nicely sums up the concept of Final Smashes in general). In general, I liked Cloud's sleek movement during combat, and the inclusion of his "classic" outfit as a costume in addition to his "Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children movie outfit" was excellent. In any case, there are much worse Super Smash Bros. roster contenders, so at least someone worthy received the slot.

Also, that "space scene" was such a classic Masahiro Sakurai troll action, in my opinion; this presentation would've been the perfect timing to announce Wolf's return (coinciding with Star Fox Zero's imminent release), but I guess maybe he'll be held off until April 2016 (if he is returning at all)? :wolf:

Also, Final Fantasy Universe icon when? (PLEASE let it be a crystal..)

Last edited:
Why do you guys complain when you don't have a chance to try out the character? Who knows? Maybe he might be different from all the swordfighters in the game. Just give him a chance! Maybe he might be a threat to the metagame (especially as a Mario main since Mario is allergic to swords so gotta watch out for Cloud).

I'm actually ok with this. Cloud's the most iconic character in the FF franchise and was one of those playstation mascots back then. I always compared him to Link when I was a kid so this is pretty cool.

Honestly, I'm glad the next 3rd party slot was taken by another game legend.

... Sure, I would have preferred Crono x100. Or Chocobo+Slime, or Black Mage, to represent Square Enix.
But Cloud is kind of a cool choice as a character, and definitely, huge in terms of character quality.

I wouldn't have been alright with one-shot indie characters getting in.
But a 3rd party character of legendary proportions such as Cloud, is fine by me.

... That said... I expected to see some BOLT, FIRE, ICE, QUAKE magic.
But all we got is 100% pure sword. Unless those Summons count as some sort of neutral special?

And he did got like 4 Final Smashes if I'm not mistaken. It was kind of confusing, but it all looked awesome.
Odin cutting Final Destination in HALF... I mean, !#$%& that was awesome!

This was indeed a surprise reveal. And although I still want to see Isaac in (and several others), I can't deny the quality of the roster.
Heck, this character is almost worth the music alone. Can't wait to see what's up this december!

Woah, I ranted.

p.s. His tagline should have been "Cloud joins the party" even if it's cliché.

Are you kidding me? Another anime swordsman, AND with a super uninspired moveset to boot to the point of recycling Ike's final smash wholesale? Couldn't they give him a more unique moveset??
Sorry, but comparing Ike's Final Smash and Cloud's as "the same thing" basically isn't the right way to look at it. Omnislash existed years before Ike's Final Smash, and it basically looks like what you saw in the trailer. Cloud has had this move since 1997. Your argument that "Cloud's final smash was recycled from Ike's" is invalid. :secretkpop: Also, for a swordsman, his moveset actually does look unique and isn't as average looking as the older sword fighters. The whole Limit Break mechanic is far from uninspired. He's probably the most unique swordsman at this point.

Last edited:
All you ppl saying Sora makes me facepalm. Compared to Cloud who is more reasonable as a character in terms of his moveset. Sora would be beyond busted. Only way to make him not broken is to not give him a keyblade. Even in KH1 he'd have more tools than most of the cast. Real talk. And considering Sakurai likes to use the more updated version of characters to put into Smash KH DDD Sora would be beyond busted. Let's be real guys.

Last edited:
I want a swordsman with something that I can't really make decently off of Mii Fighter. Characters like Dante and Lloyd (no double sword please) who actually require a lot more creativity in-terms of usage. I'm sorry, but these one dimensional sword fighters are just such a turn off.

I like how you choose to get hung on his Final Smash while ignoring the fact that he has SUMMONS!
The summons look to be a part of the Midgar stage, not Cloud. Watch the trailer again. Cloud's moveset appears to be mostly sword techs and his limit break special mechanic (which is apparently like Little Mac's KO punch with more options but less knockback).

Of all the characters why Cloud!?!? I mean we could have had freaking Fox Semi cl- I mean Wolf!!! This is the worst possible choice ever, who the heck wants some super well known character from the most talked about FF game ever!?!? I'm so miffed!!!

No, **** you. I would love to play NINTENDO characters. And cloud is extremely overrated. HO HO! HEY BRO WANNA PLAY SOME ****ING FF7 AGAIN ON MY ****ING PS1, 3, PC, AND SOON TO BE ON THE ****ING 3DS FOR THE ELEVENTH TIME?!

Why stop it here? You guys already dug your own graves. I'm not okay in letting some nobody tell me **** on what person in the FF series is iconic or not. Here is an example: Terra is iconic, Cloud is over rated. There is a large difference between the two.

Dude, you're being a total ass. Stop. Seriously.

Would've made more sense for Square-Enix to have Sora, Black Mage, or Geno as their character... but at least they finally got a rep.
Slime is the only sensible rep.

This has to be quite possibly the least interesting DLC candidate I've ever seen. I'm sorry: Smash Bros is not ****ing Soul Calibur. I want to play as PLATFORMER characters beating the **** out of one another.

((Just IMO))

Well, there's another DLC character that I have no interests in. I just hope that next month will reveal more things, and possibly the return of this guy...

The best thing about this character reveal is that no one saw it coming.

I broke out laughing when he was announced.

Last edited:
I was hyped for cloud when I first saw him, but then I saw his moveset...

I'm not really sure if Cloud will end up being that unique or not, considering what has been shown here. I guess we'll just have to wait until he's in the game.

I'd love to burst peoples' bubbles:

1. Omnislash, Cloud's Final Smash, came first. Final Fantasy 7 came out before any Fire Emblem game featuring Ike came along. So Great Aether is technically a clone of Omnislash.

2. What's more, people that complain about Cloud's Final Smash aren't apparently complaining about Greninja's Final Smash.

3. I saw someone say Fox Semi-Clone...then Wolf. Apparently Smash World Forums is still full of morons.

4. Cloud's Moveset is actually still very original. There's nothing bad about it; it reflects Cloud's ulterior moves and hell, apparently Cloud has a second version of him that seems to be more power than speed. Me thinks Cloud is going to be a transformation character.

Additional comments:

The Midgar stage looks amazing with all of the stage-splitting and Final Fantasy summons, although I really wish it didn't recycle Battlefield's layout (not sure if the platforms heavily change, but I saw the Battlefield layout at least once). Battlefield itself, Dream Land 64, Miiverse, and "Yoshi's Island (Melee)" all have that layout, and here comes Midgar... Like, there are other platform layouts.. >_>

Lol; someone mentioned how both Solid Snake and Cloud Strife were unable to feature in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, yet both of them made it into the Super Smash Bros. series.. :rotfl:

Also, that Final Fantasy (1) victory music by Nobuo Uematsu! <3

I also liked how the December 2015 announcement was prefaced with the "Super Smash Bros. Brawl Main Theme - Final Destination remix"..:)

And ROFL; no one won that "DLC offer concerning November 2015 Nintendo Direct" on the Super Smash Bros. subreddit? WOOOOWWW... :joyful:

Oh, and hooray - no leaks this time!

Last edited:
Top Bottom