• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cloud Strife Announced For Smash 4!

When the first Nintendo Direct was announced since the passing of Satoru Iwata Nintendo fans were excited. Then Sakurai himself retweeted the direct and the website movie list for Smash broke (something that has happened before other DLC videos released). Well Smash fans the hype was very real as we got a brand new character coming to Smash: Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy 7!

Also hinted in the video are Chocobo costumes for the Miis. In the Nintendo direct itself it was announced a special Smash broadcast would be taking place some time in Decemember 2015. Will this be a big broadcast about the Smash Ballot? Excited to see Cloud in Smash? Let us know in the comments below and stay tuned to Smashboards for future news coverage!

Comments

You guys are such complainers! Out of all the stupid people we could have gotten, Cloud was not one of them! I never thought this would happen, and I am hyped!!!
I agree with this guy here.

Plus, I'm feelin' all the sword fighters we've been getting.

OK in all seriousness, why Cloud? I know he's popular, but he has little relevance to Nintendo compared to the likes of Neku Sakuraba or Sora. The only explanation that can be offered is that Square is making some type of FF7 game for the NX or something. Eh, I'll still use him.

I love how he specifically as Cloud going under Samus' super missile. He gets some sort of perverse pleasure in making Samus a punching bag. Why do I keep playing this game?

By the way Cloud has a unique gimmick everyone. He apparently can charge his Limit meter. Looking at the video he recovers higher, his projectile hits multiple times, and his moves appear to hit harder.

"Nintendo why you do this? I just want one character out of the hundreds that the internet wants!"
Like, I understand wanting a character, but no need to salt when we haven't even received the ballot results.
I've never even played FF7 and I'm happy to see Cloud in.
Whoever gets in, gets in. Just deal with it, internet.

I am not impressed.
1: Another generic swordman
2: Only been in ONE game as far as I recall from his franchise.... Yeah.

I REALLY would have rather taken Slime. :/

Last edited:
I'm really excited that Cloud is coming to Smash Bros. 3DS & Wii U. MORE 90s representation FTW! :D

#90sMasterRace

Last edited:
Cloud was totally unexpected...

And a total hype killer for me. He better be worth this shocking reveal once I get to use him...

Let's hope the special Smash Bros. Announcement this December can make it all better...

Wanted him or not NO ONE saw this coming.

And with him never being on a Nintendo console (too my knowledge) this opens the door to a lot of characters.

D
YOU THOUGHT THAT IT WAS KING K. ROOL OR WOLF BUT IT WAS ME, DIO CLOUD STRIFE!

NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION CLOUD STRIFE!

This is pretty significant because some of you guys might not be old enough to remember that Final Fantasy VII was originally developed as an N64 game before Square Enix changed over to the PS1 instead. Hiroshi Yamauchi (the Nintendo president before Iwata) saw this as a huge betrayal and swore that Nintendo would never work with Square Enix again. They say time heals all wounds and eventually Nintendo and Square Enix patched things up but with Final Fantasy having a noticeable absence on Nintendo consoles. Perhaps this is just things coming full circle.

I miss this feel. To actually be surprised. Props to Nintendo for keeping this unleaked.

Anyways, so much hype. Only need Isaac now and my two most wanted characters are in.

Cloud being announced for Smash was so random to the point it was straight-up entertaining to me.

I have barely any connection to Final Fantasy, and I'm not picking Cloud up anytime, but I'm alright with this. I'd still have preferred to see a 1st-party character, but there's always the December presentation now.

Are you kidding me? Another anime swordsman, AND with a super uninspired moveset to boot to the point of recycling Ike's final smash wholesale? Couldn't they give him a more unique moveset??
"Uninspired"?!
Dude, if anything, Ike ripped off Cloud's Omnislash. Also, how many other swordsmen have a projectile? Robin, annnnnd... nope. That's it.
And the Limit Break moves he has look to be the shiznat.
My reactions, in order:
Colbert Freakout GIF.gif
Toad Freakout.gif

Freak Out GIF.gif
EDIT: forgot about Link. So that makes three?

Last edited:
Before anyone loses it in salt, I'm pretty much convinced this is pre-ballot. Cloud was nowhere near as popular as other characters.

Either way though, I'm super excited about this. Completely unexpected.
It's also VERY important to note that they didn't say anything about the ballot, and with a special broadcast coming next month, I think your statement is pretty spot-on. It's likely this isn't the results of the ballot and they wanna keep the hype train going.

This is completely out of the blue, but is pretty neat too. No expectation of it, no leaks, nothing. Though I have never played FF7, it is neat to see another representation to a popular/influential franchise. Since it takes months to create a character, Cloud is obviously not from the ballot, so there is more to be excited about for new ones down the road.

C'mon Geno...

Now @ Dis point it doesn't MATTER WHO GETS IN SMASH !!!
SEPHROTH? : FINE
EZIO?: DAM SURE
DEVIL JIN?: DAM RIGHT
WESKER?: YUPPERS
MASTER CHIEF?: SURE !!!
CRASH BANDICOOT?: OF COURSE
SORA?: DAMN RIGHT
MICKEY MOUSE?: YASSSS
CALL OF DUTY?: I AGREE ?
MIGHTY 9: TRUE INDEED
SETH: SURE
BANJIO KAZZOIE: YUPPERS !
BOMBERMAN?: YUP
SILVER: MORE SONIC CHARS? SURE !!

Cloud's inclusion might be supporting Snake. If Cloud, a character that has little relevance to Nintendo can get in, so can Snake.

to say i'm disappointed would be an understatement. Of all the FF/square enix characters to choose, they chose one who has absolutely 0 significance to nintendo. the most cloud has ever done, is appeared in KH cameo's for KH games on a nintendo system. Square must have payed a high price to nintendo/sakurai to let them ***** out their poster boy once again. Sakurai also just went back on his word that he would only allow 3rd parties who had some sort of significance to nintendo.

Finally to make matters worse, cloud's moveset looks like a sloppy mix-match of current sword users moves, hell he even has a complete rip-off of Ike's final smash.
Just be happy it wasn't Lightning.

My brain is officially fried right now and wondering how Sakurai is going to explain his decision of adding Cloud to Smash compared to other FF character choices that debuted on Nintendo consoles. I remember hearing that FF7 was originally going to be on the N64 but it never officially released or got developed. I'm hyped as all **** right now but I need to know how this went down.

The salt is real.
People should calm down. They didn't say anything about the ballot, so this character was probably pre-planned.
We'll be getting ballot results around December, most likely.

Cloud was pretty unexpected, though. Kudos for not getting leaked.
Didn't think Square would let their poster-boy into a Nintendo Crossover game, particularly because people tend to link him with Sony/PS.
About the character himself, he looks nice. A lot of callbacks in his moveset, it seems, someone cared about him.
He's also more eye candy, I guess.
The stage is pretty cool, too, and all the FF music we'll be getting <3

It also means Smash got Mario, Sonic, Megaman, Pacman, Ryu and Cloud Strife, all in one game. That's something.

User was warned for this post
This is just ****ing stupid. Not Terra, or anyone else that were ACTUALLY IN A NINTENDO CONSOLE!? **** that ****, you get the pretty bot with the lackluster move set and a final smash that's basically Great Ether 2.0 edgy edition.

You guys are the reason why we have cancerous **** like wanting a ****ty indie game knight, a **** boy, and somebody that comes straight out of a ****ing anime. Hell what's stopping them from bringing Goku now?! OH wait if they even tried it wouldn't even be him. It would have been ****ing Gohan or somebody no one ****ing cares about, because that's how it works with new ****.

At least ****ing Snake HAD entries in Nintendo titles. Enjoy your ****ing edgy ass **** boy cross dressing husbando.

Just be happy it wasn't Lightning.

My brain is officially fried right now and wondering how Sakurai is going to explain his decision of adding Cloud to Smash compared to other FF character choices that debuted on Nintendo consoles. I remember hearing that FF7 was originally going to be on the N64 but it never officially released or got developed. I'm hyped as all **** right now but I need to know how this went down.
square payed a **** load of money that's how it went down.

The *only* way this could be justified is if square decided to remake FF7 for the NX or wii U as well/nintendo told them they'd add cloud only if they did this, and not make it a sony exclusive. I highly doubt this happened however, as square has almost always kept FF7 far away from nintendo's consoles, limiting cloud to just cameos at best.

Last edited:
I feel sick. Why Cloud when there are PLENTY of more deserving and requested characters? They really muked up this time. I assume he'll come out in December. We have to be getting more.
This is a 3rd party character from Square Enix, and he is most certainly not the ballot winner. I agree wholeheartedly with Cloud in Smash. Plus they might pull a Roy, Ryu, and Lucas in the Smash Stream in December.

Shoutouts a to a character who can FINALLY contest Shulk's range.

Top Bottom