• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cloud Strife Announced For Smash 4!

When the first Nintendo Direct was announced since the passing of Satoru Iwata Nintendo fans were excited. Then Sakurai himself retweeted the direct and the website movie list for Smash broke (something that has happened before other DLC videos released). Well Smash fans the hype was very real as we got a brand new character coming to Smash: Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy 7!

Also hinted in the video are Chocobo costumes for the Miis. In the Nintendo direct itself it was announced a special Smash broadcast would be taking place some time in Decemember 2015. Will this be a big broadcast about the Smash Ballot? Excited to see Cloud in Smash? Let us know in the comments below and stay tuned to Smashboards for future news coverage!

Comments

I TOTALLY AGREE, well im pretty sure he will have color swaps of them. LIke his hair being pink to resemble LIghtning or his hair being white like Sephiroth, Just like how Lucina's resembling the girls of awakening.
I'm honestly hoping that Cloud will have all alts like Bowser Jr. does..unlikely, I know, but I'd love to see Cloud have the following: FFVII (technically Dissidia), Advent Children, Kingdom Hearts, Ms. Cloud, Dissidia 012 Alt 2, Infantry, G-Bike (iOS) Alt, Zack Fair.

More likely though, I expect Cloud's Costumes to be..
FFVII/Dissidia
- Purple
- Red (Ehrgeiz Alt)
- Blue & Alt Texture (Dissidia 012 Alt 2/Amano Reference)
- Black (Retcon SOLDIER 1st Class Uniform)
Advent Children
- Black
- Blue, Red 'Cape'/Sleeve (Kingdom Hearts Reference)
- Purple (Ms. Cloud Reference)
- Blue (Black Mage reference?)

I meant second rep. I never said they shouldn't have picked Cloud. I am just saying they should have both Cloud AND Crono since Capcom has Mega Man and Ryu.
Cloud & Crono would be amazing, but I suspect they'd go with something from Dragon Quest considering its their second biggest series.

There is a bit of an..odd..difference with Mega Man & Ryu..they aren't actually owned by the same company. Mega Man is owned by Capcom Co. Ltd (Capcom Japan) and Street Fighter is owned by Capcom USA Co Ltd. Its odd..but yeah...still indirectly owned by Capcom Co. Ltd. though since they own Capcom USA Co Ltd.

Last edited:
Cloud & Crono would be amazing, but I suspect they'd go with something from Dragon Quest considering its their second biggest series.
No, no. Knowing Sakurai, he might aim to look for some Nintendo IPs that Square-Enix made if he can strike another deal. Crono is highly requested and, well, we shouldn't SOLELY base characters off of the popularity vote.

Earthbound was VERY obscure before this game and it made them well known. Shulk was in that same boat and look what it did for him. Ryu was even made to be in every likeness of his SNES incarnation, as was the case with Mega Man acting like his NES games.

Crono would be a tribute like Mega Man probably, as far as dead series go, and that would not be a bad thing. We need more retro entries since the purpose of this series WAS to bring franchises, new AND old, together in a glorious battle.

There goes my wallet.

I did indeed vote a Final Fantasy character. But it wasn't Cloud. I ended up voting for Squall and Zack Fair (Though I knew it would've been one out of a billion chance he'd get in D:)

No, no. Knowing Sakurai, he might aim to look for some Nintendo IPs that Square-Enix made if he can strike another deal. Crono is highly requested and, well, we shouldn't SOLELY base characters off of the popularity vote.

Earthbound was VERY obscure before this game and it made them well known. Shulk was in that same boat and look what it did for him. Ryu was even made to be in every likeness of his SNES incarnation, as was the case with Mega Man acting like his NES games.

Crono would be a tribute like Mega Man probably, as far as dead series go, and that would not be a bad thing. We need more retro entries since the purpose of this series WAS to bring franchises, new AND old, together in a glorious battle.
I'd have to disagree for a couple reasons.
- Sakurai probably doesn't care about 3rd Parties being tied to Nintendo systems other then having appeared on them at least once.
- Ness & Shulk are from 2nd Party Companies, meaning Nintendo, currently, has some ownership of them, so that's a completely different kettle of fish, so to speak. If they had been 3rd Party, they likely would not have been included in Super Smash Bros. They were included in Smash Bros. due to both being Cult Favorites and 'Surprise' characters.
- All 3rd Party Characters thus far have been Icons of the Industry. Characters that almost all Gamers would recognize by name just by seeing them.
- I don't believe Crono is as highly requested as we believe he is. Keep in mind that the people who take polls and make requests are only the minority in this (similarly, I don't believe Shovel Knight is as 'highly requested' as people believe due to fan-run, minority taken polls).
- Ryu's design is actually more in-line with his appearances in Street Fighter IV and Street Fighter V (the dark brown hair, tattered gi, and kanji on his obi are all clues to this, he had light brown hair, a fairly 'new' looking gi, and no kanji on his obi in SFII) and he featured moves from Street Fighter III (mule kick/Side Smash) and Street Fighter IV (Focus Attack/Down Special) and his Final Smashes are from Street Fighter III, the VS Series, and SFIV, while the rest of his moves have been staples of his since Street Fighter II and have appeared in all games in which he appeared.
- Mega Man isn't really a 'tribute'. He was included due to being an Icon of Gaming, being Highly Requested (confirmed by Sakurai in this case), and he's not really from a 'Dead' series (hibernating, yes, but not yet dead since its characters are still being used in other ways)

We have plenty of 'Retro' in the game already through Duck Hunt, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B, and, formerly, Ice Climbers. Pit was also one until he got a new game. However, if we want to go with bringing in series new and old, that's still being done considering Pac-Man, Mega Man, & Ryu are from the '80s while Sonic & Cloud are from the '90s. Just because they're still being used in new games doesn't take away from them being, technically, old characters..it just means that they were successful characters.

I don't really believe we'll see any 3rd Party Characters that are unlikely to appear in new games, to be honest, those spots will likely be more taken by Nintendo's 1st and 2nd Party characters.

Knowing Sakurai he'd pick a character who's widely known regardless of their connection to Nintendo. Like Cloud.
Hey, don't just zone out past Nintendo franchises because of Cloud. There are many that I want to show up in this game still :(

Including, but not limited to:

- Bomberman
- Goemon
- Simon Belmont
- Ryu Hayabusa
- Daisy (though on a significantly lesser scale, she would fill the last human rep from the Mario series)
- Waddle Dee
- Crono

They all have potential, so don't just automatically limit the remaining DLC to just third-party because of Cloud.

Hey, don't just zone out past Nintendo franchises because of Cloud. There are many that I want to show up in this game still :(

Including, but not limited to:

- Bomberman
- Goemon
- Simon Belmont
- Ryu Hayabusa
- Daisy (though on a significantly lesser scale, she would fill the last human rep from the Mario series)
- Waddle Dee
- Crono

They all have potential, so don't just automatically limit the remaining DLC to just third-party because of Cloud.
Either they're going to announce somebody on the level of Cloud, or it'll be the biggest hype backlash of the century. None of those characters compete with Cloud. (And we all know Alucard would get in over Simon at this point too.)

Either they're going to announce somebody on the level of Cloud, or it'll be the biggest hype backlash of the century. None of those characters compete with Cloud. (And we all know Alucard would get in over Simon at this point too.)
Honestly, I'm not expecting anyone Cloud-level in regards to Hype or Unexpectedness.
The other Smash Bros. Directs announced Greninja and Mewtwo DLC..so just throwing that out there..and I also don't see anyone that can reach Cloud's level in regards to how unexpected and hype-worthy it was.

I also feel like we won't see another 3rd Party announced..I think the last 2-4 characters will be Nintendo, personally.

Honestly, I'm not expecting anyone Cloud-level in regards to Hype or Unexpectedness.
The other Smash Bros. Directs announced Greninja and Mewtwo DLC..so just throwing that out there..and I also don't see anyone that can reach Cloud's level in regards to how unexpected and hype-worthy it was.

I also feel like we won't see another 3rd Party announced..I think the last 2-4 characters will be Nintendo, personally.
No, but everybody else is and Nintendo's fanning the flames. Otherwise they would of shown us the other character before Cloud.

Really, if it's just Wolf and Squirtle or something like that they might as well cancel the presentation.

No, but everybody else is and Nintendo's fanning the flames. Otherwise they would of shown us the other character before Cloud.

Really, if it's just Wolf and Squirtle or something like that they might as well cancel the presentation.
I don't think it'll be two veterans. It'll more likely be Wolf, a Newcomer (Inklings, K. Rool, etc), and then other new things like Stages, Mii Fighter Costumes, and maybe even things no one's really guessing like Alternate Costumes for non-Mii Characters, a new Adventure Mode, or more.

I feel they were likely originally going to save Cloud for this Broadcast, but they knew they needed something big for the First Direct since Iwata's Passing and something like Wolf or a new Stage wasn't going to cut it.

Honestly, people need to stop overhyping stuff for themselves and then getting angry when its not what they were expecting.

This is also likely to be Sakurai's way of saying 'Thank you for your support' and the like.

I don't think it'll be two veterans. It'll more likely be Wolf, a Newcomer (Inklings, K. Rool, etc), and then other new things like Stages, Mii Fighter Costumes, and maybe even things no one's really guessing like Alternate Costumes for non-Mii Characters, a new Adventure Mode, or more.

I feel they were likely originally going to save Cloud for this Broadcast, but they knew they needed something big for the First Direct since Iwata's Passing and something like Wolf or a new Stage wasn't going to cut it.

Honestly, people need to stop overhyping stuff for themselves and then getting angry when its not what they were expecting.

This is also likely to be Sakurai's way of saying 'Thank you for your support' and the like.
Thing is that Nintendo themselves are hyping up the Smash presentation more then they did the direct. Really, showing us a boring character or two and then telling us about the Smash presentation would of been fine. If all we get is somebody boring like Dixie Kong after Cloud with Nintendo pumping us up then it's Nintendo to blame with their poor scheduling.

Top Bottom