• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Climbing the Ranks - Travis Touchdown For Switch Smash!

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Sorry for your loss guys. While I wasn't a full-on supporter yet since I have yet to get into the series, I think Travis in Smash would've been awesome.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
While it's sad that Travis won't be joining as a full-fledged fighter, it's still wonderful that he's getting acknowledged in Smash. Perhaps he can receive an upgrade next game.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Listen, Travis was my most wanted. But I'm glad they:

1. Ripped the band aid off quickly
2. Made an incredible-looking costume

I wish he had come with some music, but other than that, it's been a long and hard ten year fight to get ANY kind of NMH content in Smash at all. And not only did we get more than a spirit, we also have A BRAND NEW NMH GAME coming soon.

Maybe it's not the perfect ending, but I think this is damn, damn good.
Sounds like Suda and Grasshopper studio are back in action, and Suda potentially has plans for a NMH4. Maybe Travis just needs a little more time for people to truly see his style and potential, in time for whenever we're speculating again.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Not going to lie, felt bit of a sting upon seeing Travis being Mii Costume. My condolences.

Still, every Mii Costume is still a silver lining on it's own right. Hopefully Travis gets to build on from it in the future.

Last edited:

Ypsen

Smash Apprentice
I feel so sorry for you guys...

As a Isaac/Loyd supporter, I know how it is to believe years to finally get our hope crushed once again. I really thought he got his chance this time, more than Lloyd actually.

But hey, you're right to stay optimist, just as the Lloyd Mii Costume, the Travis Mii Costume could be an open door for the next Smash.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
I’ve rooted for Travis for a long time, but at least he’s been finally acknowledged in Smash after all of Suda’s joking about it. Plus, with a Mii costume, there’s still hope for a spirit event in the future like how they handled Cuphead! Plus the costume looks sick.

My only gripes with the Travis costume are 1: You cant use the wrestling Mii moves as a Swordfighter you you kind of have to mismatch the headpiece to get them, and 2: They played the NMH theme at his reveal, why isn’t it added as a song in the game?

Staarih

Smash Master
I was honestly expecting Travis to show up as playable, he really gave me "Bayonetta" vibes with Nintendo really taking NMH under their wing and promoting the newest games as bigger releases. But even then, I can't say I'm too disappointed: content is content and I'm sure Suda is happy Travis got in Smash in some way or form. This is a good first step, perhaps he'll make it in the future.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
If I am not too mistaken, Mii Travis's fight with Ganondorf and Cloud are most likely references to Dark Star and Skelter Helter respectively, which makes the latter character even more hilarious.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Hey just want to say i'm sorry for how things ended up for y'all.

I've been looking to get in to this series for sometime so i'm looking forward to when the NMH ports release on the Switch (according to the game being rated 2 months ago).

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
If I am not too mistaken, Mii Travis's fight with Ganondorf and Cloud are most likely references to Dark Star and Skelter Helter respectively, which makes the latter character even more hilarious.
Yeah, Travis fighting Cloud on the Fourside rooftops specifically looks like a reference to the fight that started Travis down the assassin path with him killing Helter Skelter.

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
Once K. Rool was in, Travis was my most requested character.
Now he's deconfirmed, I couldn't really care less who the rest of the characters are.
It wouldn't be surprising if we receive Master Chief or the Fortnite Avatar.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
I'm sorry guys. Never played NMH(although it's on my short list of stuff to play once I finish my Bioshock and Far Cry runs) but I always thought Travis seemed like a good pick for Smash and a fun character.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Well, there goes my dream of Travis getting a character trailer about how he's going to climb to the top of the smash roster. Here's hoping he gets in for smash 6

D

Deleted member

I felt legitimate pain reading through the various old posts on this thread. It was like watching a tragedy when you already know the ending.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
I’m gonna throw an utterly ridiculous Hail Mary theory here that I want absolutely none of you to take seriously. Unless it ends up happening, in which case, all of you may hail me as your messiah.

Suda and Sakurai are friends. They are also known trolls.
Suda has mentioned before in interviews that if Travis got into Smash, he wanted his moveset to focus on wrestling moves while his sword would just supplement basic attacks.
Travis was put into the Mii Swordfighter class, which doesn’t have wrestling moves like the Brawler does for special moves.
His trailer uses the NMH theme despite it not being added to the game (which does have precedent with the Fallout 4 theme being used with Vault Boy’s trailer... but the NMH theme has been used on Nintendo’s platforms before. So... maybe there’s a point?)
And the design used for the Mii Fighter is his Travis Strikes Again design (Purple jacket and Death Drive glove) instead of going for the classic NMH red jacket that appears in the 3 ‘main’ games. It seems like an odd choice.

Conclusion?
This is all a 1 Million IQ ruse to get NO ONE to suspect that one of the remaining characters is Travis Touchdown, using both his beam katana and wrestling moves, based on his classic design used in NMH and NMH3.

Am I a genius or a deluded fool? December 2021 will expose the truth. It’s probably the latter.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
I'm passing by here to leave my condolences. When I saw the announcement I let out an audible: "aaaaw".

It was sad but I remembered that Suda-51 mentioned on interviews that it would not be possible due to time constraints and/or "if they ask me, of course" cases. I knew that it would not be possible. But still, it was surprising how Travis was considered and appeared in the game at all. So there were some talks about him.

Hopefully that means good things for him in the future. I do consider him Bayonetta-tier in the sense that he is getting more and more well-known with each game coming out of his series and being supported by Nintendo.

I do want to get into the series as from what I have seen, it looks so cool. And that's the point. The titles in the Wii are hard to come by so hopefully those can be released on the Switch alongside 3.

I do believe Travis is a matter of when and not how.

Stay strong, guys. Travis' time will happen, it'll take some time, but it will happen.

:bowser: .

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
I’m gonna throw an utterly ridiculous Hail Mary theory here that I want absolutely none of you to take seriously. Unless it ends up happening, in which case, all of you may hail me as your messiah.

Suda has mentioned before in interviews that if Travis got into Smash, he wanted his moveset to focus on wrestling moves while his sword would just supplement basic attacks.
Travis was put into the Mii Swordfighter class, which doesn’t have wrestling moves like the Brawler does for special moves.
His trailer uses the NMH theme despite it not being added to the game (which does have precedent with the Fallout 4 theme being used with Vault Boy’s trailer... but the NMH theme has been used on Nintendo’s platforms before. So... maybe there’s a point?)
And the design used for the Mii Fighter is his Travis Strikes Again design (Purple jacket and Death Drive glove) instead of going for the classic NMH red jacket that appears in the 3 ‘main’ games. It seems like an odd choice.

Conclusion?
This is all a 1 Million IQ ruse to get NO ONE to suspect that one of the remaining characters is Travis Touchdown, using both his beam katana and wrestling moves, based on his classic design used in NMH and NMH3.

Am I a genius or a deluded fool? December 2021 will expose the truth. It’s probably the latter.
Riporoni. For now best put it behind you and look at one of your other horses still in the race.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord

Conclusion?

If you read a previous post, I had this theory too. Who knows?

Riporoni. For now best put it behind you and look at one of your other horses still in the race.
And why is he wrong in doing this? How does it bother you? If anything MinMin has shown anything can be possible.

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
If you read a previous post, I had this theory too. Who knows?

And why is he wrong in doing this? How does it bother you? If anything MinMin has shown anything can be possible.
You can do anything you want. I prefer to temper my expectations.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Sorry to ruffle any feathers, it was just a fun little joke theory. Hence why I started off by saying don’t take it seriously.

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
I know you weren't being serious, but "Sakurai the troll" is about as real as Bigfoot. He's a comedian, yes, but for actual announcements he always strives to be as clear and unambiguous about what to expect as possible. But if you could ever make a case for him breaking that tradition, it would be this one.

I did notice that he specifically mentioned Bomberman's costume, even though he usually mentions the last costume shown for being noteworthy. That's enough room for at least a 1% chance that this actually is a prank, which is more than a lot of characters have.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
I know you weren't being serious, but "Sakurai the troll" is about as real as Bigfoot. He's a comedian, yes, but for actual announcements he always strives to be as clear and unambiguous about what to expect as possible. But if you could ever make a case for him breaking that tradition, it would be this one.

I did notice that he specifically mentioned Bomberman's costume, even though he usually mentions the last costume shown for being noteworthy. That's enough room for at least a 1% chance that this actually is a prank, which is more than a lot of characters have.
I think I wasn’t clear in my post - I’m not saying the MII FIGHTER COSTUME is some kind of prank, that’s absolutely going to be in the game and they wouldn’t put something like that in a trailer otherwise. I was saying that revealing a Travis Mii Fighter costume to make people think Travis was out of the running, only to then ALSO add Travis as a character, sounds like a move that could only be pulled off with a character like Travis and a partner like Suda.

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
Don't worry, I understood that that was what you meant. It's a risky move but Travis is the one character where I could see Nintendo agreeing to add the costume as a fakeout. Nobody's going to complain about "fraudulently" buying the costume when they can have real Travis as well.

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
Feels like I was a secret supporter for Travis. Count me down as still supporting him. His games are so unique compared to most games. Played and loved Travis Strikes Again. Oddly only watched playthroughs of the first 2 games since I missed getting to play them.

Also still want to play NMH 3. That's still a great looking title.

Last edited:
Top Bottom