Climbing the Ranks - Travis Touchdown For Switch Smash!

M00NFIRE94

Smash Journeyman
Three fingers = three mainline NMH games, third Smash game is where Suda helped. Orange thumbnail = tiger motif. Hand pose = henshin pose. Surprise drop = lower-key series.

I-it's happening...??
One can hope. This would make the first fighter I wanted added to Smash.

Good lord, here we go again...

This is obviously a joke post, but I can see a lot of folks take it too serious.

Last edited:
TBH, though I'd love to be wrong, I don't see it happening. The reason we latched onto Travis being in pass 2 is because Suda already politely deconfirmed Travis. As we know, game developers love to tow that tricky line of playing coy without breaking NDAs in order to make eagle eyed uber fans excited when a reveal is made, but in most cases devs take the precaution to not outright lie to their fans, for better or for worse, since that's cheap surprise bait and makes you look untrustworthy. I think, so far as we know, Suda was saying that, AT LEAST for pass 1, he hasn't heard from Nintendo asking for Travis is in. If he was, Suda probably wouldn't say anything at all.

Odds are, if Travis is in, it's going to be in whatever happens after fighter pass 1, and in a way that almost works better imo. Travis could come at a later date, which could coincide close to or after the release of NMH3, which works as Sakurai throwing a bone to a good friend, but also as a promotional pick for a game Nintendo is trying to boost, not unlike Bayonetta's status with Bayo 2, where whadaya know, Bayo also made it into Smash 4. Travis comes to Smash around the release of NMH3, people are now looking at Travis in Smash, and by extension will be looking at his series and for an entry point into it if they think he looks cool. The only thing that would make it better is if remakes of NMH 1 and 2 on the Switch were announced sometime after the release of NMH3.

If Travis doesn't happen in Ultimate, it does look like Nintendo is treating the No More Heroes franchise like Bayonetta where they're backing it, possibly provided it stays a console exclusive, which I do think bodes well for Travis' chances in a future Smash title after Ultimate if this pays off and No More Heroes as a franchise soars to new heights with a fandom bigger than it's seen before, which seems to be happening with Bayonetta 3.

Staarih

Smash Champion
So apparently someone on ResetEra (who supposedly has insider info) shared hints on the next fighter, who is "closely related and kept relevant by Nintendo but not their property" or something along those lines. I personally hate all this "insider" nonsense and not sure if it should be given the light of day, but some folks think Travis and No More Heroes fit this description. I'd welcome Travis with open arms honestly, and the sooner the better of course, but if he's not the reveal tomorrow, I'm willing to wait post pass.
Anyway, keeping my fingers crossed, tomorrow we'll all be wiser.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Master
With a day to think about it and calm down, I really do think that our best shot would be post-pass still. We got deconfirmed pretty hard, and nothing has really changed outside of NMH3 being revealed, which again makes it more likely to come later if at all. I'd ****ing weep if he was revealed as fighter 5, but for now I'm not going to get my hopes up. Luckily I have loads of characters I love, so it could be a ton of people and I'd be happy.

I've never played a No More Heroes game before, yet for some reason I think it's likely that Travis Touchdown could be Fighter 5 tomorrow. Not 100% certain on this, but he just seems very plausible at the moment. Hopefully if he makes it in, Travis will bring with him a great move set befitting of his personality. At least his series has a solid OST, so that's something that any should look forward too for Smash.

Here's something I was thinking about: Any Travis fan knows how Travis could be unique and original from any other fighter in Smash with his moves, style, and personality, but nevertheless if and when Travis makes it in, I feel like we should expect and prepare for the inevitable nay-sayers who will judge him the moment he's revealed because he's somewhat anime inspired and uses a sword. With that in mind, how would we feel if a Travis reveal trailer mocked that? As Flyboy Flyboy pointed out, in would totally be in character for Travis to bring his classic trying-too-hard-to-be-cool one liners and abrasive, rude, bad sense of humor both to the game and to his trailer. Could you imagine something like a stealth Smash trailer in a future direct that opens with an X slashed across the screen, advertising the game Bash Bros. Ultra for the HAZRE Death Drive, that reveals a generic anime boy with some armor, a cape, and a sword, only to pan out to see Travis watching this from his TV in his apartment. "Oh brother, the last thing this game needs is another sword wielding Japanese pretty boy." Just then, Marth busts into the apartment and Travis and Marth start clashing swords, or something. I hadn't entirely thought it through but you get the idea. Alternately like Flayboy said I could see Travis making an off hand joke about being a sword user in the gameplay section of his trailer, maybe followed by him riding his motorcycle or using wrestling throws or using the power gloves or something. "This game has a lot of sword swingers in it already, but do any of them do THIS?".

I don't think words can properly convey how much I wanted to hear "Too many swordfighters? She must mean me!" yesterday.
Yeah, I don't dislike Byleth as much as some (still disappointed though.), and I don't think Byleth does anything to Travis' chances, but my take away was that a Travis trailer should've been the one to use a "too many swordsman" joke. It still could but now it'd be redundant.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Master
Hey if it helps, we know now that characters with a modern resurgence aren't totally off the table and that Nintendo definitely wants to get theirs even in a pass full of first parties. With NMH3 being backed by Nintendo hard, even used as their big Game Awards trailer, I think we could definitely see him happening.

There are of course, the usual Mii costume and Spirits worries, but until those happen Travis is going to be my number one wish for volume 2 until the bitter end.

(For the record, I am really happy about Byleth and I think the humorous nature of their trailer bodes well for us because it shows that Nintendo isn't afraid to get self-referential. As a 3H fan I was rolling with laughter the whole way through, it was very funny and clever.)

Last edited:
Hey if it helps, we know now that characters with a modern resurgence aren't totally off the table and that Nintendo definitely wants to get theirs even in a pass full of first parties. With NMH3 being backed by Nintendo hard, even used as their big Game Awards trailer, I think we could definitely see him happening.

There are of course, the usual Mii costume and Spirits worries, but until those happen Travis is going to be my number one wish for volume 2 until the bitter end.

(For the record, I am really happy about Byleth and I think the humorous nature of their trailer bodes well for us because it shows that Nintendo isn't afraid to get self-referential. As a 3H fan I was rolling with laughter the whole way through, it was very funny and clever.)
If anything, I think Byleth might improve Travis' likelihood somewhat. I already compared Travis to Bayonetta. Byleth seems to be a promotional pick for the DLC, possibly the first one if Hero doesn't count. This goes to show that Nintendo is willing to have at least a few new characters represented just to promote something they want to sell. Now say it with me: Who has a new game on the horizon that could stand to make some good sales, is being backed by Nintendo, and would have all eyes on it if it's title character finds his way into the biggest fighting game ever?

3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
NNID
TPPyro
I have a strong feeling he'll be in this pack. After all NMH3 is this year. I really hope we get to see it.

Edit: if they will do a trailer they need to do it the Suda way.

Last edited:

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
NNID
lanky_gunner
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
I have a good feeling he'll show up in some form in this next fighters pass. Whether it's a spirit board, mii costume, or (please...) a full blown character with stage and super rad music...that remains to be seen.

But hey, I'm pretty hopeful, so who knows?

Also, just imaging what stage he could bring (maybe something from NMH3?!) or Mii costume (maybe ask Capcom for some Killer7 love?) just leaves the possibilities wide open!

I have a good feeling he'll show up in some form in this next fighters pass. Whether it's a spirit board, mii costume, or (please...) a full blown character with stage and super rad music...that remains to be seen.

But hey, I'm pretty hopeful, so who knows?

Also, just imaging what stage he could bring (maybe something from NMH3?!) or Mii costume (maybe ask Capcom for some Killer7 love?) just leaves the possibilities wide open!
A stage from NMH3 might be the best option to promote his upcoming game, if there's a notable set piece that will be important to the game, maybe the alien ship but I worry that could make the stage too similar to Star Fox stages like Corneria or Orbital Gate Assault. Otherwise there's lots of cool set pieces in NMH 1 or 2, but none that are more important than others in most cases. I always just imagined a stage warping stage titled "Santa Destroy" That starts in the Motel Hero parking lot, then shifts to other places, but there's so many cool areas it'd be hard to pick just 3 or 4 of them. If I had to take a Stab at it, maybe parking lot > Shinobu's NMH1 fight location in the abandoned school building > The desert where you fight Jeane, complete with Dark Star's dragon in the background boxing you into a circular arena > Jaspar Batt's office. Maybe replace the dessert with Guan's supermarket rooftop where you fought Margaret, so it's 2 for 2 with location from NMH1 and 2, the motel of course being a link to both games, as well as 3.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Switch FC
SW 0351 1523 9047
parking lot > Shinobu's NMH1 fight location in the abandoned school building > The desert where you fight Jeane, complete with Dark Star's dragon in the background boxing you into a circular arena > Jaspar Batt's office

Reading that gave me traumatic flashbacks to the windows.

My concern is that none of those places are really related to each other. (aside from the motel and Jasper Batt's office, which are across the street from each other, from what I recall) I think the No More Heroes motel would work fine on its own, though if they made it a mobile stage, maybe it could travel between various stores/businesses throughout Santa Destroy?

Last edited:

Reading that gave me traumatic flashbacks to the windows.

My concern is that none of those places are really related to each other. (aside from the motel and Jasper Batt's office, which are across the street from each other, from what I recall) I think the No More Heroes motel would work fine on its own, though if they made it a mobile stage, maybe it could travel between various stores/businesses throughout Santa Destroy?
Maybe that's fair, it's true none of those locations are intrinsically related, but I was trying to think about memorable set pieces in the series since, outside of the motel, there aren't a whole lot of memorable locations that are seen constantly throughout and are any more important than any other set pieces. I do like your idea of the businesses, maybe flipping from the motel, to Beef Head videos, to Thunder Ryu's dojo, to the alley with the Russian bar, or something. Alternately since all of the boss stages are more or less given equal billing, I considered maybe they could somehow make a stage that has a lot of NMH boss set pieces, but it randomly picks four for each match, or just randomly flips through them so long as the match goes on, that way each battle on the stage is unique. Imagine starting every match at the Motel, but at any moment you could be transported to Death Metal's mansion, the Santa Destroy stadium (on the field or in the basement, although maybe not the basement cause wow that fight was disturbing.), the school building, the movie studio, the beach, speed city, the prison island, Guans, the housing complexes with Alice Twilight, Jaspar's Office, and any others I missed that might be cool. I tried to cut out any boring/redundant/hard to make into a stage morph areas, namely a lot of desserts, empty roads, etc., but otherwise it would totally be in line for mad man Sakurai to sort of pull a Mario Maker stage with a NMH stage to have something like 16 unique locales that the stage shifts through randomly, reminding the fans of the fights had in those places.

I also considered whether there'd be any way for a NMH stage to emphasize 1 on 1 fights, but I couldn't think of anything other stages don't already do, such as Final Destination or the King of Fighters stadium. I considered whether they'd make a stage that you could only play on stamina mode, but I can't imagine they'd restrict gameplay options for any reason, and that'd make this theoretical stage confusing for new players. Odds are it'd probably be a stage with a platform set up, but I can't think of any special gimmicks that would be uniquely NMH, thus the set piece of the motel/multiple set pieces would probably be the next place to look to make an authentic NMH stage.