• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chula Vista/San Diego Smash Presents: The Gauntlet April 28th

Nyjin

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3179-6397-7213
@ GursaGLUG: I'll give you all intense Falco training. How will that help? I have no idea. :D

@Fierce: Ew, maybe I shouldn't go then. I don't want him trampling my innocent childhood! :p

@Lance: On side notes, we will be able to give you the results after Havok uploads them into tio, which should be soon.

Man, Havok. Stop ****** people. I wish I could've went to the smashfest. :p The only practice I ever get is Lvl 9 Comps and Wi-Fi. :[

UnderWing

Smash Apprentice
Great fest yesterday, Awex, make sure to thank your parents for all of us. It was definitely awesome to see you all again (it seems like the 4-5 weeks I've been inactive have been an eternity :p), and as for Gursalug -- dude, I've been up against the same wall you're finding yourself against for like, 5-6 months now. That's most of the time I've been /playing/ Brawl. It sucks to lose, then you get frustrated 'cause you don't know *how* to improve... so you lose more 'cause you're frustrated. I don't have an answer to it, honestly... if it weren't for the personalities there's no way I'd still be playing this game competitively, there's just nothing there for me these days. :\

Unless cussing out Metaknight is something worthwhile to stay in Brawl for. 'Cause don't we know that he deserves it! :p

Anyway, big news guys. Y'all know how Brawl doesn't have HD? Apparently that's changing, check this, out this week -- http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...l+Destination&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=44506 . Blu-Ray HD 1080P widescreen, so it all fits on screen at once. OH ****!

Sorry, I read that was on the new releases list this week... I couldn't stop laughing. A ****ty movie like that gets 1080p, but not our Brawl. :p

--UnderWing

Rickety

Peace and Love
Thanatophobia, or more commonly known as the fear of death, affects millions of. . .

I love Rickety! <3

;]
Aw, thank you, Awex! You shouldn't have! <3

Thank you so much for having Tony and I over, it's really great getting to spend time with you. <3 chalky legs.

---

Havok! You are too awesome, why are you so nice to me? It really melts my heart. You're too nice, it's wonderful. I hope I can join you for Burbank! <3

----

I missed the ice creams but i went anyway... i feel like i got gyped...

just kidding. It was rockin fun guys. It was super awesome seeing all of you again, especially Rick and Selendrile

Stay classy san diego, i'll probably see you at the next weekly
Yay! I missed me my Geos. :]

This quote from Rickety made my day:

Geo: I'm going to go play on this TV, with the awesome people

Rickety: But everybody here is awesome.
I lug Gursalove! You guys are all wonderful and several degrees of cool. San Diego is just lovely. Heck, the smash community in general is just amazing. And while I know I tend to get all sentimental and mushy on this subject often (so much so that I'm sure everyone skips right past my posts by now!), it's true! Maybe I'm a big, lonely loser-face, but I can't help it. You guys are amazing.

And oh by the way, don't get so worked up about losing in something, whether it's Brawl or anything else, it's not worth it. It's the people that make the smashfests and tournaments so much fun, not the grenades and tornados.

D

Deleted member

Ehh iunno, i REALLY like the grenades and tornados....
:p
Im back from mexico, someone hold a smash fest sometime in the next 3 days again :)

**Havok**

Smash Lord
Ok here's a few things on how to improve your game:

Let's say for instance you're in a tournament. You lose to some random guy using X char.

These are the questions that you're supposed to ask yourself as soon as you lose,

What did I do wrong? What were my errors?

Relax, just remember the game that just went on and try to remember what exactly happened. Did you get outspaced numerous times? Did someone spam tornado on you? Did someone sit there and shield grabbed all day long? Did someone just keep you at the edge? Did you die repeatedly to the same circumstance? THINK PPL. I believe the source of the problem if you aren't doing well is because you aren't thinking.

"Well Havok, then that means they weren't my errors he's just playing gay!" WRONG. That right there is why you lose because you deny the fact that you fuked up and LET HIM play gay. (Planking is another thing altogether). How do you not get tornado'ed? Bait it silly, jump *he'll tornado* you jump away with your second jump then punish because his tornado is ending.

What could I have done different?

"Next time I'm going to try and bait X move and punish THIS way, maybe that will work."

You die instead. Ok, ill do it this way now! Die again.

It's rinse and repeat people! You try again and again until you get it down, this is especially true when you're trying to learn specific matchups.

What I just told you also applies in any other game, s*it even life.

Now let's reverse the situation, let's say only tornado DOES work on someone. Why stop? If he can't figure it out, stop his habit within the 3 matches you win. Press on it! Use your newly acquired observation and exploit the hell of it.

That winds down to playing the player, we all have bad habits. Me, you, oats, even mogX admitted he liked Tortas. WEAKNESS. It's natural. However, you can stop them IF and ONLY IF you become aware of them. By aware i'm talking about you accepting the fact that you fall into X situation OVER and OVER, know you suck at that specific moment and are WILLING to do something about it. It won't be easy though but it can be done with time and practice. Or not, don't work on your game at all.

Keep mental notes of how matchups are supposed to go,

Well this char has a crappy recovery so I'm going to try to keep him offstage as much as possible and maybe even gimp.

Well this char doesn't have any out of shield options so I can pressure very easily.

Well this char doesn't have a good grab so I can etc etc.

Remember Brawl RELIES on you knowing the matchup's, if you don't you get owned. Games like street fighter are much more flexible because of their characters and dynamics of the game, it has larger margin between playing a certain style and playing the matchup. Do both together = WIN.

This is the beauty of having a community, you can ASK ppl for information. Everyone has it. Bits and pieces all broken up for you to piece together. Sometimes it takes 30 mins to piece a matchup together. Sometimes it takes days, weeks, even months. Sometime you still won't get it. Sometimes you think you did but you realize you don't. Nyjin has something, Fierce has something, TKD has something, HAZE has something, DEHF, DSF, rickety, and so forth. Everyone, all it takes is an initiative to ask and piece it together yourself.

For example, HugS wrote this piece that puts "Zone-ing" into a brawl perspective.

http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=16108

It's beautiful because it's spot on. The information that he provided can open the doors to the missing aspect that brawl needs. Maybe. Who knows. The metagame evolved just a tiny bit.

Fighting games in general are much more deeper that we all think, you have to dig in order to understand and be willing to use that information. It's much more than combos and flashiness.

And finally you can always find more encouragement with your community, as soon as you start taking the game too seriously they'll remind you it's fun.

Keys in brawl: practice, knowledge, and the most important one I feel that you always need, OBSERVATION.

Ok i got class now. I guess ill write something longer about this later.

Awex

Smash Lord
I read Hugs' article about zoning. Really good stuff. Same with that post, Havok.

Specifically, I need to think about my "bad zone" of directly above a GROUNDED metaknight. Mid-air isn't so bad because I can whistle, and off-stage I know how to handle well enough.

Geomaster

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I really need to fix my ledge game. Getting on, getting back to the stage, recovering from the ledge. I loose a lot of lives because i mess up with predictable recoveries or try to use pikmin chain when it isn't safe or smart to do so.

Its not even that its a "bad zone" for olimar so much that its a "bad zone" for me, so i gotta work on that

JaggerG

Smash Apprentice
I've recently learned that to beat a ROB, I have to constantly be attacking from above at an angle, or underneath him. I could TRY outcamping him, but **** that's tough to do. **** laser. >_<

If both of us are grounded, his d-smash is never gonna miss. If both of us are in the air, I freaking better get the Zair to hit or I'm gonna land and get d-smashed again. If I try to just shield it, I get grabbed and chucked off stage. If I OoS grab, he spot-dodges and I get punished. I'm just completely unable to play like I normally do, mindgames be ****ed. I guess at least I see these problems.

Gursalug

Smash Journeyman
The thing I need to work on the most would be my patience. It's something I've always lacked, be it in video games or everyday life.

Example: It took me about a half hour to get into Master Belch's lair the first time I played Earthbound. Reason being, I had to wait two minutes for that little green dude to open the door. I kept on walking around, trying to find another way in. In the end, I had no choice but to wai...

OH MY GOD!!! ICE CREAM MAN!!!

Nyjin

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3179-6397-7213
Nice reference on the tortas, Havok. And I'm flattered I was mentioned first in the "*Name* has something(s)..."

:p I'm so full of myself, hehe.

Rickety

Peace and Love
His posts are but one of the reasons we love Havok. <3

This man has talent...

One day he sang his songs to a tape recorder (borrowed from
the man next door). In his neatest handwriting he wrote an
explanatory note (giving his name and address) and, remembering
to enclose a picture of himself, sent the tape, letter and
photograph to apple music, 94 Baker Street, London, W.1.
If you were thinking of doing the same thing yourself-- do it now!
This man now owns a Bentley!

D

Deleted member

Rickety, how are you able to come up with references/song lyrics for every occasion :p

Hall

Smash Ace
This is Havok:

Ok, so i just realized sunday = easter. No tourney.

Next sunday tho!

CV 29

http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=5685

ps. We're gonna have a different bracket for everyone who isn't in the SD pr (other pr's as well) Until I have my stuff together as to how this is going to be done let's pretend we
re gonna have it like we always do.

UnderWing

Smash Apprentice
<Lots o' text>
Well put, and I don't disagree with anything you're saying here. What gets frustrating is feeling like you're not improving, or your play is growing stale. It's something I keep hitting with TL, and after a while (I'll win and lose matches) it becomes *very* hard to examine your own gameplay for it's weaknesses. You get into bad habits, or don't necessarily *think* when you're playing, and every match begins to look the same. At this point, you've basically lost the battle before you step into the ring.

It's funny -- I've played Toon Link since Brawl came out, I love the little guy and so much of how he plays. I got into a really bad slump, however, at the last Quizno's I went to. I was sick of playing, my matches weren't going well, and I knew I wouldn't be in the tournament much longer. Somebody mentioned that they'd seen my next opponent play, and that he was decent -- I didn't feel like putting up a fight, so I decided to "throw" the match by choosing random after losing round one. I got ROB, who I'd never played before in any significant fashion, and is a character who plays *nothing* like TL...

And I won the round by a hefty 2-stock lead, to the same Falco I'd just lost to a round before. I chose random again, for ****s and giggles, and ended up with ROB a second time. I ended up knocking the guy out of the tournament.

Now, I don't know the matchup, and the only knowledge of ROB play is really from getting my *** kicked by ShadowROB once in tournament, and a couple other ROB runins. I played defensively (while making sure to avoid campiness on his part), using my moveset as conservatively as possible, making sure to avoid damage as much as possible, and spotdodge-dsmashing a ton.

I was really focused on each aspect of my play, much more than I am when playing Toon Link, and I didn't have any bad habits that I was trying to pull off when I should've been focused on other stuff. I find it funny, 'cause I didn't feel like I was playing even a half-decent ROB, and I probably wasn't -- I was just very focused on being careful. That's something that I think often suffers with people who get frustrated with the game play with their mains. A lot of it's mental, and I'll be the first to admit that I probably play *worse* against MK's and Snakes than I do against Falcos, Marths, Nesses, etc.

I really don't know where I'm going with this, I guess part of it would have to be... if you're frustrated with your character, try an alt for a while to refresh your gameplay? Playing another character can help you look at aspects of your gameplay that could use some improvement, but are so ingrained in your head when you're playing your main that you don't notice something's wrong.

I think next smashfest should be "self-improvement" day, where everyone helps everyone else out with their games. :p

--UnderWing

PS: Finally fixed my Wii! USB loader installed, Brawl loads fine off my usb stick, it's all good. You should be seeing it at the next tournament. :p

Cheeri-Oats

Smash Lord
About Amateur Bracket:

Backstory

Basically, Havok and I were talking about ways to improve our community and our scene in San Diego as well as improving the excitement or whatever. This came about because no one wanted to play Doubles and even if we did the 4-team mini-tourney they were planning on doing, we all knew one of the teams would lose and have no chance of winning and what was the point of them spending their money on two matches and losing?

So, it got me thinking about similar situations in singles. Some people just don't enter because they feel it'd be a waste of money to just pay to lose; and sometimes if they lose bad enough they'd just get discouraged. It's happened to all of us. Those of that have stayed usually stay for the people, the will to learn, etc. And although you could learn alot from getting your hands dirty or whatever, the learning curve is a little bit easier to take in and understand when you're playing with people around your skill level. Ask yourself why specific people friendly with the same group of people around their skill level? All you really have to do is observe. On a personal note, I thought it was always ****ed up and pointless to have someone like DSF play some random noob because it's almost 99.9999% going to be an auto-win and really the match would be a waste of time. Exciting matches are the ones were people play someone around their skill level and it's close; not a complete decimation. So, kind of taking an idea from Major/Minor League Sports and SCSA, I was thinking we should separate people according to pre-judged skill level: an amateur bracket and a pro bracket.

The people that enter the amateur bracket should be beginners and intermediate players, and people that enter the pro bracket should be those that want to be ranked in San Diego and increase their level of play. Of course there would be limits as to who can play where, and people like Nyjin or Hall would not be allowed to enter the amateur bracket, while people that enter the pro-bracket would be open season, meaning anyone can put their hat into the ring. The amateur bracket would work because it'd encourage people that don't they're good to get better by actually playing in a tournament setting and the pro bracket would allow us to cut out all the bull****, and have a definite idea of who goes where in our little San Diego Power Rankings. Of course we would accomodate out-of-towners accordingly.

What It Would Look Like

After discussing with Havok initially this is what I eventually came up with as a rough plan. It's his house so he can decide whether or not he wants to do anything or change anything.

$2 Venue Fee EVERYONE has to pay. (This would cover the people that just enter Melee, or Street Fighter, or Doubles Brawl, or people that just go for friendlies.)

$2 Entry Fee for Amateur Bracket
$5 Entry Fee for San Diego "Pro" Bracket
$8 Entry Fee for Doubles Brawl (No Amateur or Pro bracket)

The Amateur Bracket would be seeded as best we could and according to groups of friends or people. The amateur bracket would be played at the same time as Doubles. The top 2 of the Amateur bracket win $5 and a free entry into the Pro Bracket. All finals of the Amateur Bracket except the Grand Finals would be best 2-3. Grand Finals is 3-5. Amateur Bracket is double elimination. And then once Amateur and Doubles end, we start Pro Bracket. Pro Bracket would be run the same way we usually run weeklies, etc.

The hurdle comes at separating amateurs from Pros. I think people on the San Diego PR automatically cannot enter the Amateur Bracket. Also there should be a list of "Honorable Mentions" or really good players that can hold their own on the "Pro" level and should not be in the Amateur Bracket. This list is maintained by the same people that do the PR and they just check out your performance over a period of time. And if you perform well in the Amateur bracket repeatedly, it'd be "Congratulations, you're now Pro Level" Status.

So, even if only 4-6 people enter the Amateur Bracket, their matches would be close and exciting, the more experienced guys can act as mentors and not as fellow competitors, and it would still be a quick tournament that would not hinder the speed of the Power Rankings one.

tl;dr

Two brackets that vary in price and separate intermediate players from "pros" and encourage more people to play our game while also upping the entertainment factor.

Gursalug

Smash Journeyman
I can see it now....

DSF wearing a fake mustache: Hi! My name's Bill. I'm here for the amature bracket! Let's hope my game has improved!!

I think this could encourage even more people to show up.

Geomaster

Smash Apprentice
... Awww. I cant make the next weekly since I'm on the crazy orthodox calender and my Easter is one week after your guys. Lame

.AC.

Smash Lord
yees amateur bracket for people like me!!!

hope i do better at this one.

Awex

Smash Lord
I like the amateur bracket idea a lot. Our weeklies have a LOT of talent and an overall small turnout, and the amateur bracket would really help that situation.

Good **** guys. I'm all for it.

DreamHack619

Smash Ace
Hey Hey Hey! Wow, I havent been on smashboards or talked to anyone of you in a while!!!! Someone has to fill me in on whats going on....... I dont wanna have to go back so many pages and just read!

Nyjin

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3179-6397-7213
Sounds like a good idea, Havok/Oats. Do I get into the amateur bracket because I'm underage though? ^_^!

*cricket chirp*

Darn...

(I'll be taking all Falcos in the amateur bracket under my wing)

See what I did there? It's like...a pun! Except on the boards! MUHAHA!

**Havok**

Smash Lord
no nyjin u get to be on the"oats" bracket. winner gets a special prize!

yea thas the rough idea w the bracket. i have a few ideas oats ill talk to u bout it later

Geomaster

Smash Apprentice
no nyjin u get to be on the"oats" bracket. winner gets a special prize!
The prize is a extra large luxury seat in the back of Havoks car for the next tournament. Its so big, you dont need a seatbelt and the cops cant find out or they'd arrest us for giving such an awesome prize.

UnderWing

Smash Apprentice
(I'll be taking all Falcos in the amateur bracket under my wing)
"UnderWing"™ and all variations thereupon are trademarked properties of Good **** Oodub, LLC. Your cease and desist papers are in the mail.

--UnderWing

PS: In all seriousness, though, I think there's something to an amateur bracket. I'd almost certainly enter both, 'cause I'm really looking to up my game. The nice thing would be that there's obviously a difference between tournament matches and friendlies, in terms of stakes, and with an amateur bracket each player (who entered both) would be given *at least* four separate "high stakes" matches.

I think the doubled number of competitive level matches would let players hone their skills even more -- and, as Oats said, the matches in the amateur bracket are at least guaranteed to not be a complete and total slaughter. That's another thing that will help increase value on a per match basis (as far as learning is concerned).

Just my very verbose 2¢.

supermario27mx

Smash Ace
The Pro/Am brackets concept is definitely going to make things more interesting like Udub said. I would definitely like to see where this goes when/if you decide to implement it.

On an unrelated subject, Saturday smashfest anyone?? If we get enough people I can make it a tournament. Anyone up for some?

Awex

Smash Lord
I really really want to watch an amateur bracket grand finals. I'm sure the finalists would love to be there with everyone watching.

Man, I love this idea. :D

Top Bottom