• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chrono Trigger!

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Didn't FF6 come out before Suikoden II? o.O so wouldn't SII being kinda ripping off FF6?

I like the fact that Kefka is EVIL, pure definition as such. No sob stories, no feeling remorse, just good ol' pure evil intention.Dude friggin poisons a whole castle and laughs about it. Down the line we get more to the BS with Kuja and I personally feel he is THE worst villain in the series. I appreciate both Kefka and Sephiroth, and both in their own ways because quite honestly they are really f'ed up and perfect as villains.

But I don't understand the argument on how it's bad to just be a typical "evil" villain. Friggin characters that have too much story are (as I said above) Kuja...UGHUGHUGH

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
nothing is more evil than sephiroth

i havnt even played s2 or ff6 (i promise to play it soon lol) but sephiroth is all kinds of amazing.

kirbstir

Smash Lord
I like how Omni says Kefka < Sephiroth and then goes into reasoning why some other villian is > Kefka.

spoilers ahead, if you haven't played FF6 then ignore the following paragraphs:

Sephiroth's character is pretty good, but he can't compare to Kefka. Kefka enslaves Terra and forces her to kill 50 of his own troops just to test her power. He poisons a castle, a castle that also holds some of his own troops as prisoners who end up dying as well.

In just one setting, he kills General Leo (**** move), massacres a bunch of Espers for magicite, kills his own emperor (kicking his lifeless body off a floating island), and pretty much destroys the surface of the planet.

After becoming the most powerful being on the planet, he comes to the conclusion that, instead of ruling the planet, he'd rather just destroy all life.

What does Sephiroth do? He destroys Cloud's home town, kills a bunch of people in Shin-Ra, torments Cloud personally, kills Aeris (this being his most evil act), tricks Cloud into handing him over the black materia, unleashes the Weapons, and calls a meteor to destroy the planet. Evil, no doubt, but not at the level of Kefka's insanity. He lacks any personality otherwise, something Kefka exudes in his madness.

Plus, Dancing Mad > One Winged Angel

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
I like how Omni says Kefka < Sephiroth and then goes into reasoning why some other villian is > Kefka.

spoilers ahead, if you haven't played FF6 then ignore the following paragraphs:
Stuff about Kefka
You just reminded me of something, Kirbstir, xD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOsEkX0KStI

That kind of sums up what you said without really giving away anything. Also...it's funny, xD.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Hmmm I'd have to say Sephiroth did have a personality. I think just that Kefka is pretty eccentric and in comparison to Sephy, yeah he would seem pretty dull and lame. But he's just a different character really.

And I enjoyed the background that was given on him, I mean originally he was an inspiration, a great solider. But his knowledge of his relation to Jenova, infusion of Mako and just the fact that he was alone he kinda imploded and went insane. I always thought of Sephiroth as an insane villain but yes, not at the level of Kefka. And genuinely I felt bad for Seph because he really was someone good, gone bad. IMO Sephiroth is what Cloud COULD have been if he didn't have someone like Tifa to show him the truth and be by his side through it all, his friends as well.

bajisci

Smash Ace
I a classic but boring ><
II didnt play
III didnt play
IV ****ing awesome
V didnt play
VI godly
VII great but overrated
VIII pretty good even though the junction system was broken
IX AMAZING
X great, my favorite battle system
X-2 i enjoyed it -_- decent
XI doesnt count, awful mmo
XII garbage

edit: chrono trigger ftw too :D

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I a classic but boring ><
II didnt play
III didnt play
IV ****ing awesome
V didnt play
VI godly
VII great but overrated
VIII pretty good even though the junction system was broken
IX AMAZING
X great, my favorite battle system
X-2 i enjoyed it -_- decent
XI doesnt count, awful mmo
XII garbage

edit: chrono trigger ftw too :D
overrated like your skills in melee/brawl and in life?

j/k

Anyway I like all FF but Lunar ***** allXD

bajisci

Smash Ace
LOL i have no skills in melee or brawl

That doesn't mean it's overrated though lol.

i always hear people ranting about how its the best game ever blah blah and way too many people have only played VII, that i know at least.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
that explains a lot

XD much love random dude

besides f chrono alex is a way better character and is voiced by ashley parker angel ^_^

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
I don't give a crap what you say, that character you love so much is voiced by a guy with the name ASHLEY

for

the

lose

GuruKid

Smash Ace
Chrono Trigger is and has always been an amazing game.

Ayla was the best... that "Charm" move she had was super fun (and a little TOO good, honestly); I remember always abusing that tech right at the start of pretty much EVERY battle I had as soon as I discovered it.

That Falcon Hit double tech (with Ayla and Crono) was also too awesome.

i just beat chrono trigger.i dont think id play it to get the other 11 endings though:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
The other endings are actually not difficult to obtain at all. Just play through that New Game+ option: you start with the same levels and stats for your characters. Then beat Lavos at different times during the game.

Heck, you can even "beat" the game during the first 10 minutes of the New Game+ :laugh:

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
DID SOMEONE MENTION FINAL FANTASY VI?!

I'm in complete agreement with Kirbstir. FF VII is good, but VI gets the nod. I won't repeat everything he said, but I will agree that Dancing Mad is the best boss theme from any RPG ever.

Chrono Trigger is definitely my second favorite RPG, although it did inspire my favorite song:

http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01092/

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
DID SOMEONE MENTION FINAL FANTASY VI?!

I'm in complete agreement with Kirbstir. FF VII is good, but VI gets the nod. I won't repeat everything he said, but I will agree that Dancing Mad is the best boss theme from any RPG ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ly8Q3MieZk and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH90--lgmGo > Dancing mad

Honestly, the more snes rpgs I play, the less the final fantasy series tends to stand out to me... I hate it that people JUST play ct and ff. There are other rpgs out there that have completely different flavors, storylines, and playstyles. Really:

Explorability: Earthbound
Customization: Secret of Mana 2 (Co-op in my rpgs?)
Difficulty: Fire Emblem 5
Puzzles: Lufia 2

I have yet to play the romancing saga series and suidoken... I'm working on the fire emblem series now.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Earthbound was pretty fun.

FF usually stands out in people's minds because they were probably their first venture in RPG's.

Here's a game that's not an RPG but just worth mentioning because it's absolutely amazing: Shadow of the Colossus

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Earthbound was pretty fun.

FF usually stands out in people's minds because they were probably their first venture in RPG's.

Here's a game that's not an RPG but just worth mentioning because it's absolutely amazing: Shadow of the Colossus
I agree, Crismas. I believe Shadow of the Colossus is one of the Top 3 Overall Best Game out right now.

I know. It's a strong statement, but SotC is nearly perfect in every aspect.

kirbstir

Smash Lord
I loved SotC. The camera did not love me

Also, Secret of Mana is pretty good - I still have my cartridge + multitap + multiple controllers

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
High five to thesage, I don't see many people giving props to Lufia II, it seems to be only known for its music. Not necessarily a bad thing because its soundtrack is incredible, but there's more to the game <_<

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Lufia 2 was fun, but the story was pretty generic and it had a really bad english translation. I wish somebody would make a rom hack for a more original translation.

Dekar was way too broken lol. He was too stupid to keep around though.

It had really good puzzles and soundtrack. The whole hitting monsters so you don't have to fight them was a great way to have a low level run lol.

Tia was the best magic user IMO.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
Since we are discussing favorite RPG's, let's talk about some of mine.

Tales of Phantasia, back when it was rom hacked with a translation and before it was released officially. For a game that started on the SNES, the text sprites and environments were super detailed and beautiful - I remember marveling at the first village and how crisp everything looked. The battle system is also superb.

Going into that, Tales of Symphonia is also a good game, though Dawn of Time wasn't as good as the original.

Chrono Cross was a game you either loved or hated. I was the former. The music is simply amazing, and while everyone may have had something to complain about the tremendous amount of characters, I didn't mind at all and loved having variety. This is one of those few games where I must have had at least a dozen or more playthroughs in a short amount of time.

Radical Dreamers - the pseudo side story sequel to Chrono Trigger, which inspired Chrono Cross. This text RPG still puts you in a role of Serge as he, Kid, and Gil travel to Viper Manor. I remember this being quite creative and I loved the rom translation done for this. A must play if you really liked both CT and CC.

Skies of Arcadia. By far one of the best RPG's for the dreamcast and a beautiful port for the GC. Exploration has to be one of the greatest aspects of this game. I remember days when I would just ride my airship and fly around all day without a care in the world. Very fun.

Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete. This is a very straightforward game with characters that you'll love and a story that, while generic, is executed quite well. Unfortunately, I didn't care much for its sequels.

Dragon Quest VIII. Another straightforward game, but very epic in feeling, and the level system is reminiscent of older RPG's. Fights are difficult, but not impossible. I personally have a lot of satisfaction beating battles at a lower level by using tactics and strategy rather than overleveling, and this is one of those games that reward you that way. If I recall, the same developers who created Chrono Trigger came together to make this game, and I think it shows.

Baten Kaitos Origins. Beautiful voice acting, great battle system, and story was executed well. I personally hated the first game, and I'm glad they made the improvements in this game to make it one of the most enjoyable experiences I've ever had. Definitely a must play.

Now for some RPGs that I hated.

Final Fantasy 12 is horrid. The story is boring, two of the characters had nothing to do with the story and were added because of demographics, the music was pland, and the gambit system made things very dull. Nobuo also made a love song at the end of the game, in which none existed? It was awkward as hell. I wish they kept Basch the main character like they planned originally.

Eternal Sonata. Terrible and redundant linear level design. Battle is too easy and boring. Characters tend into wander into philosophical monologues that you don't care much about. Hell, one character's death scene took 20 minutes because she went into a long boring speech, and when she finally drops, she finds it a good idea to talk for another 5 minutes. The music is good, at least.

Baten Kaitos. HORRID voice acting. Card battle system was difficult to use. The story was decently okay. I would have liked to continue playing this but the first two flaws made it intolerable to play.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Hmm SNES RPGs **** all

Sure, Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, and Final Fantasy IV, V, and VI are all great, but...

1. Bahamut's Lagoon- A strategy RPG with a Final Fanatasy Battle feature. Amazing game, JPN only though, download the rom and patch translation.
2. Actraiser- An amazing piece of work. Actraiser II is garbage though, so just play 1. You can build cities and awesome stuff and also beat levels and bosses and its great.
3. Secret of Evermore- Way underrated. This game is quite good and features some cool elements. Slightly repetitive but good and I love the characters and the worlds.
4. Terranigma- I haven't gotten the gumption to try this one out very far but it's fun so far and looks like it's worth running with. Also I think Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia are also in the same story line and they aren't too bad either.
5. Viva a Viva- JPN Only, get the translation, a Square game that features 6 unique storylines where you play through 6 stories and then have to bring them all together.
6. Treasure of Rudra- JPN only, but FF style gameplay. Really fun so far.
7. Lufia/Lufia II, don't over look these.
8. Breath of Fire- This game is ridiculously awesome, try it sometime. Characters are fantastic.

kirbstir

Smash Lord
I still have my original cartridges for Final Fantasy 2, 3, Chrono Trigger, and Secret of Mana for the SNES. Also have a multitap, I should start a new SoM save at a fest

Top Bottom