• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Christmas with the North Carolina Smash Family 12/18 ~ 12/19, Josh's house!!

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
wow it's gonna suck for you when smith and I just outplay you and all of your theory bros will be for nothing.
I mean I'm pretty bad at this game. But I still think Keith (or anyone for that matter) and I can take you two. Got some pretty **** cards :) Just wait til you see my 3 blue eyes and 3 dark magicians

bwahahahahahahahahaha ^^^ (yes, I know those cards suck.........but I use them anyway)

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
Lolol, borrowing cards in teams?
like I said, we played a bunch of different variations. Like if I needed a lvl 4 monster, my pard could hand me one. I'm not sure what the 'official' rules are for teams. We just sorta made up like 5 or 6 variants and just alternated. I think my favorite variant of all time was a 5 or 6 person duel (got the idea from that one episode I think it was during battle city) where each person got a deck master (where face-up cards gained the deck masters effect........sanga of the thunder ftw). This was probably the most unbalanced, unfair thing there ever was. But it was so fun and funny. I dare you to take an early lead.....everyone goes for you. You trying to build up defenses? Nope, I'm taking you down. So stupid but so fun. God I miss those days.

But, Gard, do you know the 'official' rules for teams? Cause I sure as hell don't.

Mariabattleaxe

Smash Ace
I mean I'm pretty bad at this game. But I still think Keith (or anyone for that matter) and I can take you two. Got some pretty **** cards :) Just wait til you see my 3 blue eyes and 3 dark magicians

bwahahahahahahahahaha ^^^ (yes, I know those cards suck.........but I use them anyway)
Kevin is a dual champiooooooon
I wanna watch you get destroyed in a children's card game

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
Kevin is a dual champiooooooon
I wanna watch you get destroyed in a children's card game
w/e quit hatin on me and my awesome dragon/sorceror deck

and he only wins because he plays with people who follow the rules

screw the rules, I have money

and Brooklyn Rage

and PP better be ready to get mindcrushed

:0

thumbs up if you like the references

edit: Maria, I must say your avatar is all kinds of scary and messed up if viewed from the wrong angle

edit 2: but seriously, screw the rules. I'm gonna draw 2 cards per turn. Get ready to get rageikied.....twice. Watch me break out both mirror forces. And my BLS-Envoy of the Beginning is ready to ****....as is Black Chaos Magician.

But I hope to get out my favorite card of all time without cheating. Dark Paladin <3. If I have to cheat, oh well.....I have money.

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
No. But I'm pretty sure you don't borrow cards from your partner. That would be too lulzy.
I'm pretty sure YGO in general is lulz. From what I hear from my friend who keeps up with the metagame, you have to have 500 dollars at least to build a tournament level deck. And the ones who win most often are the ones who can afford those ridiculous $100 cards that make your deck ****.

Stockfield

Smash Champion
You share the field and you can look at each other's hands.

So your partner's monsters you can do anything to them but attack with them.

You hands are separate though.

Gardevior

Smash Lord
I mean, magic is like that too but budget decks actually have a chance because of how the game is set up.

Lulziness =/= cost to play in tournament. YGO may have a few flaws, but that it's tourney scene costs money isn't one of them.

(though lol at how tournaments actually work. Sushi got cheated out of first place in one last week despite having the best record.)

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
no my point was that money buys you tournament. apparently, you need a tier 1 deck to get far and most of the tier one decks are ridiculously expensive. sorry, but I can't respect a game that you can buy first place. :(

but that doesn't mean I don't have fun playing it. I would just never take it seriously though.

Gardevior

Smash Lord
I don't understand, but okay. It's pretty much the same for all competitive CCGs.

Or maybe I understand and disagree. Well, not really for yugioh because in that game the best card wins 100% of the time regardless of player.

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
yeah, I'm just saying, there's no individual strategy. You look up a deck type, find a few deck lists, take cards from them, and build it. Spend $500+ and go to a tourney and win. Like each deck has maybe 60 cards to chose from that fit for it (and then you have the 20 or so stock cards for the game to choose from). And there are only like 6 viable deck types in the whole game (4 tier 1 and like 2 other types that are viable....dunno where they are on the tier list.). So for a game that probably has 5000+ cards to choose from, only 380 are ever seen. It just seems mindless to me. But hey, its mindless fun.

And there are just cards that **** that you must have to do well. And like you said, they win regardless. All the strategies have already been pioneered and now its just a game of copycat. I'm not knocking the players who like to go to tourneys. I'm sure there's some skill involved. But I think it focuses more around purchasing power than ingenuity and creativity.

edit: the only variablity comes from what cards you decide to put in your deck out of the 80 to choose from. apparently, almost no player has more than 40 cards in their deck. So the real skill comes in by selecting out of the 80 which ones build the rapest deck of that genus of decks.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
YGO? I used to play that........IN AMERICA! Seriously, I still have my dragon deck laying around.

The way things are looking, we could probably pull off a YGO tourney.

10lols

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
YGO? I used to play that........IN AMERICA! Seriously, I still have my dragon deck laying around.

The way things are looking, we could probably pull off a YGO tourney.

10lols
we can pull off a YGO tourney........ in amuricah

I wanna dress up as pegasus and use by cool cheating skills to look at your cards.

Friendship.

That would be superspecialawesome

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum

AIYAAAAAAAAAAH

I used to have Uncle as my avatar, but nobody really noticed.

ONE MORE THING

Uncle must do reeeeeeeeeesearch! (going to swing by the library in a little bit, but yeah, Jackie Chan Adventures FTW)

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord

AIYAAAAAAAAAAH

I used to have Uncle as my avatar, but nobody really noticed.

ONE MORE THING

Uncle must do reeeeeeeeeesearch! (going to swing by the library in a little bit, but yeah, Jackie Chan Adventures FTW)
I just now get the last picture post lmao. And why Maria said you shoulda have said "one more ting" before your post. Oh I feel stupid.

but yeah, jca ftw. gettin me them talismans.

lord karn

Smash Master
yeah, I'm just saying, there's no individual strategy. You look up a deck type, find a few deck lists, take cards from them, and build it. Spend $500+ and go to a tourney and win. Like each deck has maybe 60 cards to chose from that fit for it (and then you have the 20 or so stock cards for the game to choose from). And there are only like 6 viable deck types in the whole game (4 tier 1 and like 2 other types that are viable....dunno where they are on the tier list.). So for a game that probably has 5000+ cards to choose from, only 380 are ever seen. It just seems mindless to me. But hey, its mindless fun.

And there are just cards that **** that you must have to do well. And like you said, they win regardless. All the strategies have already been pioneered and now its just a game of copycat. I'm not knocking the players who like to go to tourneys. I'm sure there's some skill involved. But I think it focuses more around purchasing power than ingenuity and creativity.

edit: the only variablity comes from what cards you decide to put in your deck out of the 80 to choose from. apparently, almost no player has more than 40 cards in their deck. So the real skill comes in by selecting out of the 80 which ones build the rapest deck of that genus of decks.
drafting in magic is very skill-intensive.

And saying that there is no originality is kind of misleading. In competitive fighting games there is no ability to create your own character, so by playing smash you are limiting yourself more than you are limited in card games, where there is some more variation and creativity involved in the deck you play with. As for the actual matches, they are not just matches of copycat. You, as the player, should have a knowledge of the possible cards and plays the opponent can make (like you should have a knowledge of the opponents options in smash). Then it just comes down to making the right decision, just like in smash.

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
I guess you're right...to an extent. I'm not talking about Magic though. I know it has more skill. I'm talking about YGO. Its a really fun thing to do and it does involve skill. But the fact of the matter is that the deck-building procedure which once was the most fun/creative/skilled thing about it is no longer so. You don't even have to plan combos. You just go to the decklists and they usually tell you your end goal. Get x, y, and/or z card out. With this, summon such and such mosters, use them to nullify your opponents card effect that ______. Its just a **** race to see who can get their best cards out. Its more about how to focus your deck around 10 cards and as quickly as possible getting them out while at the same time f*cking up your opponents strategy (which is seethrough because you've seen the same strategy like 1000 times). In magic I would assume that no 2 decks are alike. In YGO, every deck is like something you've seen before but with slight variation. Its just not something I feel should be played competitvely. Its really fun. But winning a tournament only shows that you've got good financial resources and are good at reading stuff you find on the internet. Most people don't even understand what they're doing. I have a friend who keeps up with the metagame and has explained the entire game to me in terms of math. There are some out there who look at it this way. And these are the people who actually understand better what is going on.

That said, I'm up for a "friendly" YGO tourney. Not going to win, but gonna have fun with it. Show you all just how horrible my deck is but still show off some cool as hell cards :)

edit: so it seems you 2 think I was talking about Magic. I don't know anything about that game....just that it's really complex. My comments were directed specifically at YGO.

Gardevior

Smash Lord
Also in magic you get opportunities to outplay your opponent regardless of how much they spent to build their deck. Last friday in tourney I beat a approx. $700 deck with my less than $50 one.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
I also know the ygo doubles rules, so when **** goes down at this, me and stockfield can lay down the law.

also, I have to warn you... doubles takes about 1 hour per match. Once you get the hang of the rules, team strategies, and become more familiar with situations, then you can probably cut it down to ~30-45 mins.

My deck is kinda old school. It's a beatdown sorcerers deck. I have a few japanese cards, but they're commons such as mirror force.

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
I'm pretty pizzed. I payed like $50 for mine like 5 or 6 years ago and all of a sudden they come out with a marik deck with mirror force in it. Good luck to me trying to sell mine. People be flocking to that common card that will cost like $1. WTF?

LOL I just realized FTW and WTF have the same letters in backwards order.

WTF???? My discovery. FTW. ;)

Yeah, I know doubles takes awhile though. But, seriously, if anyone wants to do a multi-man duel, those are really fun. They're a clusterf**k but they're fun. Take about an hour and a half sometimes. Sometimes as little as 30 minutes lol.

I'm so excited for this YGO ****.

bossa nova ♪

Smash Champion
so now this has turned into a little gay kid card trading fest.

lmfaooooo.

whoever wants to actually have fun, gimme a call. party at my place on the 18th.

Stockfield

Smash Champion
Yeah I know the rules and lots of the card rulings as well.

So you guys can't just cheat.

Bringing my Mill deck, gladiator beast and my main deck that I worked really hard on lol my Beast/Monarch deck.

bossa nova ♪

Smash Champion
im serious. party at my house in greensboro on the 18th.

anyone is welcome who doesn't wanna watch a bunch of people throw paper at each other.

the only rule is maria and yay can't come.

Top Bottom