• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 Checklist of things to Look for in Smash Demo

Btw how did you get a ticket? Don't you need to have a career with some correlation to the gaming industry?

Also, ask the reps as many questions as possible.
Nope. Just gotta be a geek with a lot of money on your hands. You could also just get invited on behalf of a company.

The professionals are usually attending meetings on the upper level of the LA Convention center and manning the booths on the show floor . The actual attendees are usually rich foreigners or shut ins.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Nope. Just gotta be a geek with a lot of money on your hands. You could also just get invited on behalf of a company.

The professionals are usually attending meetings on the upper level of the LA Convention center and manning the booths on the show floor . The actual attendees are usually rich foreigners or shut ins.
How much dough we talkin' 'bout?

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
If possible, get lots of videos. It would be good to analyse the following:

• Time taken to run from one end a stage to the other.
  • Fall speed and fast fall speed.
  • Landing lag timings
  • Aerial momentum
  • Hitstun for a variety of moves
  • etc etc etc
This data would be best taken from a character like Mario, for easy comparison to Brawl/Melee.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Btw how did you get a ticket? Don't you need to have a career with some correlation to the gaming industry?

Also, ask the reps as many questions as possible.

I am graduating next week on my masters in Game Development. And I am currently applying to many different jobs in the industry. So in a way I am part of the industry right now. But as Eternal said I just bought ticket. Its 799 bucks, but I did get a huge student discount that my university provides. (I paid $500)

Plus people from my university get to go free the very last day of the show if you ask for it.

My university (and therefore my apartment) is also only about 15 minutes away from the LA convention center which is just like a $10 buck cabfare.

Last edited:

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
I am graduating next week on my masters in Game Development. And I am currently applying to many different jobs in the industry. So in a way I am part of the industry right now. But as Eternal said I bought ticket. Its 799 bucks, but I did get a student discount from my university. Plus people from my university get to go free the very last day of the show if you ask for it.

My university is also about 15 minutes away from the LA convention center which is just like a $10 buck cabfare.
Wow that's pretty nice of your university, I'm guessing it's encouraged for Game Development students (obviously it's e3) but be sure to notify your friends to take notes on that too. We don't to miss a single savory detail.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Wow that's pretty nice of your university, I'm guessing it's encouraged for Game Development students (obviously it's e3) but be sure to notify your friends to take notes on that too. We don't to miss a single savory detail.
Yea, plus its a great way to meet employers and pass down resumes to try to land a job. A lot of companies actually bring recruiters to their booths that you can talk to.

That's my "excuse" for going. Deep down, I am really going for Smash xD.

I will try to get friends to record everything I try out if able to.

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
Does random tripping happen? (Mash the stick back and forth)
Sakurai already said there wouldnt be. No need to test it. If you DO see it though by accident, cry.

---------------

Lets listen closely to their voices. See if Pit has his English Uprising voice. Check if Mario's voice is just rehashed from older smash games. See if Bowser/DK/Diddy still make animal noises. Etc.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I know a lot of us plan to go to Best Buys and experience Smash WiiU. I can't because I was born in the wrong country so I'll just make a list of things to look out for.

* Final Smashes of all characters.
* What the new moves of Sheik, Zamus and Zelda do. (Can Zelda move while the phantom is out or hold the charage for example)
* Does random tripping happen? (Mash the stick back and forth)
* What does the special flag do?
* Can Villager catch Pikachu's Thunder?
* What are Charizard's new moves?
* How sensitive is the timing on WFT's breathing move?
* Alt costumes and how to get them.
* Stage Bosses and what they do. (Pyrosphere people)
* See how Final Destination option works
* Steal a copy and hack it
* Test out any brand new characters announced.
* How does Mega Evolution work?
* Character select screen.

Help me out here. What do you want to add to the check list?
*OK.
*She probably can't.
*Sakurai deconfirmed it.
*Summon Namco-specific ATs.
*Probably not, as it's not any form of projectile.
*Like, two.
*It's clearly visible on the Direct.
*Probably won't be able to do that in the Demo.
*Be bosses?
*Makes every stage flat? Pretty straightforward if you ask me.
*I agree.
*Depends on the avaiable demo roster.
*Hmm...
*I'm guessing Windows8-esque, minimalist style.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
I want to see more of the Garden of Hope stage. It'd be interesting to see if the Plasm Wraith appears bowl can be broken and rebuilt by background Pikmin during the match.

Last edited:

Pokerhappy

Smash Cadet
Spend the entire time digging for physics exploits. Gotta be the first to come up with that new tech.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Will the smash demo be for 3DS or Wii U version?
I am curious on two things, the new ledge mechanics, and if the smoke trail that follows a launched character is an indicator of hitstun. I must test to see if you can airdodge only after the smoke trail goes away, or if the smoke trail stops as a result of air dodging.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Will the smash demo be for 3DS or Wii U version?
Wii U version, but we don't know if the 3DS version will be there or not (probably not, honestly).

I am graduating next week on my masters in Game Development. And I am currently applying to many different jobs in the industry. So in a way I am part of the industry right now. But as Eternal said I just bought ticket. Its 799 bucks, but I did get a huge student discount that my university provides. (I paid $500)

Plus people from my university get to go free the very last day of the show if you ask for it.

My university (and therefore my apartment) is also only about 15 minutes away from the LA convention center which is just like a $10 buck cabfare.
That's pretty cool man.

And congratulations on getting your Masters.

Dott

Smash Ace
Please check if Link meteor smash now it's a dair!

Link’s downward strike was designed to change to a Meteor Smash when the tip of the sword is aligned just right at the start. However, it will be removed if it’s deemed too powerful overall after some multiplayer play tests.

Last edited:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Number one thing to look for would be hitstun cancelling, imo. It's easy to look for and a really important factor of how the game will play out if it isn't included.
(Also hit all buttons to see if you can do more stuff.)

Dott

Smash Ace
Thank you so much for reminding me of this, I nearly forgot!

I will definitely be attempting to do this. I will also do a SH Dair to see if it provides a sigificant amount of ground bounce.
THANK YOU!!! Link seems to be getting better, but this is a crucial thing to see if he is finally viable or not as a main! (I'll main him anyways, but sure there are a lot people who wants to know it too!).

Last edited:

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Everything has already been added to the checklists(hitstun cancelling, Dash Dancing, etc), so, uh....
Oh yes! If Marth is available (unlikely, but still), someone needs to see what changes he's developed since while he hasn't changed by Pit and Boozer levels, we need to learn how much of his Melee range he REALLY has.

Oh, and if DDD is available, check to see if his DThrow is still a chaingrab. :p

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Definitly the new Kirby Hats along with every single move we haven't ween Rosalina do like her edge moves, taunts, EVERYTHING.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Also see if Olimar's Pikmin Order move is gone. It probably is considering that it's been implemented into the plucking move, but it'd be nice to see what's replacing it.

DangerDamage

Smash Journeyman
Chain grabs.

Specifically Marth Up-Grab combos.

I really need a friend to go with for this my cousins are scared/"too cool"/uncomfortable/embarrassed etc

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
I think Wii U confirmation is in the official press release.

Also as people have said, checking for chaingrabs would be cool. Looking at you Dedede

Last edited:

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like there's not going to be much actual fighting in these demo matches :estatic:
*everyone is just dash dancing around and flailing on the ground*

"Must...find...advanced....techniques!"

Also see if Olimar's Pikmin Order move is gone. It probably is considering that it's been implemented into the plucking move, but it'd be nice to see what's replacing it.
Good point. Not much reason to order Pikmin if you only have 3. Although calling them back is still useful if they get stuck somewhere like in the water. I bet its still his down special but it'll have a secondary affect or something to make up for the lack of 6 Pikmin, like a brief stun/trip or something.

Last edited:

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11
If either of the best buys close to me have it I'm there with an iPhone camera.

Ulevo

Smash Master
For those of you who remember way back when Brawl had its demo, Gimpyfish went to the demo tests they had and came back with a big review on all the stuff. That would be cool if someone could do that.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
For those of you who remember way back when Brawl had its demo, Gimpyfish went to the demo tests they had and came back with a big review on all the stuff. That would be cool if someone could do that.
Hopefully one of the tournament participants will provide one. They'll probably get to play the game more than any of us.

Top Bottom