• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 Checklist of things to Look for in Smash Demo

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
-Test the new ledge options and get a feel of how they really work. We've been given vague descriptions that we can't really tell one way or the other with.

-Overall comboability of the game. Can you still mash airdodge out of everything or can you actually rack some respectful damage.

-See if dash dancing is more viable than it was in Brawl.

-Test moves that induced tripping, as opposed to random tripping ex:Rob d-tilt. Zelda d-tilt, etc...

-Check shield stuns and shield mechanics (has power shielding returned? is perfect shielding still way too good?)

Other than that, just keep an eye out for anything potentially exciting, as well as any notable buffs/nerfs to the characters. I'll definitely be hitting a best buy that has it to jot down anything I can, provided the one near me happens to carry it at the time.

Induced tripping was already confirmed to be back if I am not mistaken. Also power shielding is definitely back too, we just don't know what properties it might have. (Deflecting, reducing lag, etc.)

Someone should take a minute to see how the custom moves work.
It's going to be a demo, not the full game. Plus we won't be able to mess with it freely nilly, there's going to be people there keeping things in order. We will be lucky if we can even change from time to stocks and/or pick a stage ourselves. Changing things as time consuming as controls or as "customizable moves" is not going to be in the demo.

Last edited:

Newt Floss

Smash Journeyman
God I hope the people at my Best Buy won't be like NOITEMS FOX ONLT FINAL DESTINATION!!!
Also we won't have too much as it is a demo.
There will be Nintendo reps there to dictate what stages and items you'll get to play with.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Or that is probably just his basic combo.
It just seems a bit strange to be a forward Smash since it looks like he just conjures it in front of him and it drops. For the longest time I thought it was an "edge guard" move that you would use by pressing A on a ledge with a person who is grabbing it.

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
If Villager is playable, PLEASE go through his moveset. I've been wondering forever what attack the bowling ball is assigned to, and how it works if you aren't at the edge of a platform. Investigate his aerials, the fireworks attack, his ability to pull weeds, and his various throws.

And try out DK's new roll attack!
It just seems a bit strange to be a forward Smash since it looks like he just conjures it in front of him and it drops. For the longest time I thought it was an "edge guard" move that you would use by pressing A on a ledge with a person who is grabbing it.
it's not that weird. Mega Man shoots his Mega Buster as his side smash. Snake's smashes in GENERAL are weird (remember his down smash? A plantable mine! And his upsmash flies dozens of feet into the air!) We know all of Villager's specials. There's nothing left to guess what it is other than his tilts maybe. And it is definitely not anything like any tilt I've ever seen.

Villager's Down Smash is his shovel and then I suppose you combo it into his side smash to drop the ball on their heads. Simple as that.

Last edited:

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
I will probably go, and when I do, I will be on FULL ALERT for any and all Link changes, since few others seem to be that interested in him so far. Also, I will try to bring a friend and a decent camera to record mine and others' matches, collecting various information from that. Also, if any of us can, try to bring as many friends with you as possible, so that you can all pan out and cover as many characters/techs as possible at once. Once again, bringing good cameras would help immensely.

supercopper64

Smash Ace
NNID
CaptainOfWar
3DS FC
1650-2938-3501
WEEEELLLLL apparently I am the only one who wants to know, WHAT WILL THE ANNOUNCER SOUND LIKE, ever since I was a wee lad, I loved listening to how amazing the announcers voices are. Hopefully we have the one from melee black, but very unlikely.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
I wanna see how good Marth is at breaking shields now since there's a PotD saying shield breaker has been buffed. I also want someone to try that Pikachu combo Sakurai mentioned.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
He uses upsmash in the pictures but reading the post it sounds like you can follow up with any attack.
Yeah, true. I was just reciting the combo used in the picture.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Ah. I thought you were correcting me. My bad.
Nah. I know Thunder could combo into whatever. I just wanted to tell people the combo in the picture.

Anyway, the thing I'm gonna look for is any other changes to Pit's moveset. Tilts, Smashes, dash attack, etc. I wanna see how much influence he took from Uprising.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Same. Pit's one of the characters I'm most interested in since he is my Brawl main. I think the only moves we haven't seen from him is d-tilt, b-air, and his up and down smash.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
If Pit's dash attack isn't the dash attack for bows from Uprising, I'm going to question Sakurai's ability to draw influence from games.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
His dash attack is the same as Brawl's, though he might angle it slightly differently. However his new f-air and jab infinite look similar to his dash attack from Uprising.

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Aside from me wanting to know much more about the Pit goodness, if there's an inch of game music that can be heard while playing, I want to hear it.

BAIRD

Smash Rookie
Surprised no one has said this yet, but if you're able to use your own controller, see if the Classic Controller will work with SSB4 (I want to know if I should bother buying a mayflash adapter or not)

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
do you think it would be against policy to look through the my music section? it might hint at certain franchises getting more content. (or not)

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
yeah, of course!

I mean, you can't look through something that doesn't exist :p
It won't be. Demo will probably be a boot up Character Select Screen. Just like the demo at the past E3, which didn't even have a character select screen, it was just Start->Mario vs Megaman.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
It won't be. Demo will probably be a boot up Character Select Screen. Just like the demo at the past E3, which didn't even have a character select screen, it was just Start->Mario vs Megaman.
you got the wrong idea from my post.

I was basically saying "Duh, of course you can't look through it if it's not there"

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
you got the wrong idea from my post.

I was basically saying "Duh, of course you can't look through it if it's not there"

I understand, but your first post implies there would be other modes in order for us to break the any policy by looking at other modes. I am telling you there will be no other mode apart from VS.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I understand, but your first post implies there would be other modes in order for us to break the any policy by looking at other modes. I am telling you there will be no other mode apart from VS.
What, do you literally have the demo already? Please, tell us more about the game, since you know so much.

Besides, what if there IS a my music section in the demo? It'd be a must to look through, right?

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
What, do you literally have the demo already? Please, tell us more about the game, since you know so much.
The point is that it's going to be a Smash Bros demo available for 3 days at Best Buys across America with hordes of people trying to play. Limiting modes to VS so people don't try to **** around in My Music and keep everyone waiting makes too much sense not to do.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex

Besides, what if there IS a my music section in the demo? It'd be a must to look through, right?

My point is there won't be. I can't assure you that with 100% certainty but its a demo to be played for 3 days by many people. Nintendo themselves will be overlooking the demos to ensure that things will run smoothly. From a business standpoint tell me one good reason why you would include any mode that is not inside the "VS" clause. There is none as you want the game to be showed to as many people as possible, not have 1 player doing "story mode", let alone have a person standing there looking at a menu for 2 hours.

Not only that, but any and every single demo from multiplayer focused games that have been demoed for a limited amount of time in a public setting (Read: not downloadable to your own console), has not had a single player mode included (This is because doing so would mean you would be limiting the amount of people who can play the demo to 1/4, shooting yourself in the foot by cutting your own marketing by 75%).

Previous demos, such as Brawl, Mario Kart 8 or even the very own Smash 4 (which had a private demo at E3 showcased for 1 match) normally jump from start screen to character select without any menus in the middle. It would surprise me if Smash was the first game to ever demo a single player mode in such a way for no clear purpose or gain.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Surprised no one has said this yet, but if you're able to use your own controller, see if the Classic Controller will work with SSB4 (I want to know if I should bother buying a mayflash adapter or not)
Don't see why it wouldn't, it's likely going to have multiple controller options just like Brawl did.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
My point is there won't be. I can't assure you that with 100% certainty but its a demo to be played for 3 days by many people. Nintendo themselves will be overlooking the demos to ensure that things will run smoothly. From a business standpoint tell me one good reason why you would include any mode that is not inside the "VS" clause. There is none as you want the game to be showed to as many people as possible, not have 1 player doing "story mode", let alone have a person standing there looking at a menu for 2 hours.

Not only that, but any and every single demo from multiplayer focused games that have been demoed for a limited amount of time in a public setting (Read: not downloadable to your own console), has not had a single player mode included (This is because doing so would mean you would be limiting the amount of people who can play the demo to 1/4, shooting yourself in the foot by cutting your own marketing by 75%).

Previous demos, such as Brawl, Mario Kart 8 or even the very own Smash 4 (which had a private demo at E3 showcased for 1 match) normally jump from start screen to character select without any menus in the middle. It would surprise me if Smash was the first game to ever demo a single player mode in such a way for no clear purpose or gain.
You really want to prove yourself, don't you? :p I never said there was GOING to be the my music section, but if (that's a big if) there was someone should check it out.

And I'm the stupid one. Great.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
If too much info is revealed, over hype is occurred, and expectations are through the roof. Then when it turns out not as good as people thought it would be, it's ratings go down, and people say it's bad, and others don't buy it.
There is no such thing as overhyping, just bad customers.

Top Bottom