• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 Checklist of things to Look for in Smash Demo

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Keep in mind that this may not be the final product or physics engine? If I recall correctly wasn't the Brawl demo much more like Melee than when it was finally released? Take everything with a grain of salt.

Ryan.

Smash Lord

^ Lol.

Anyway that's a great list to look out for. Would love to see the character select screen the most.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
But not all the items or stages or characters.
I don't see the problem about that. We're not going to learn *everything* but the goal is to learn as much as we're given.

Frankly, even if we did get the final product, there's a ridiculous improbability that we'd see *everything* in the time we're given.

^ Lol.

Anyway that's a great list to look out for. Would love to see the character select screen the most.
This has happened at GDC and on several other occasions, sadly.

Last edited:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
[sighs] people seem to think the demo will have the full game in it...
I think we all here know this. It's just the first time anyone that's not a Nintendo employee is going to get their chance to get their hands on a controller and play the game. That's exciting to us.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
I don't see the problem about that. We're not going to learn *everything* but the goal is to learn as much as we're given.

Frankly, even if we did get the final product, there's a ridiculous improbability that we'd see *everything* in the time we're given.

This has happened at GDC and on several other occasions, sadly.
I think we all here know this. It's just the first time anyone that's not a Nintendo employee is going to get their chance to get their hands on a controller and play the game. That's exciting to us.
Some are acting like all of the stages and items and stuff are in. Take, for example Final Smashes. They may likely not be in the demo at all. And stage hazards. Well, we likely won't get many stages at all.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Some are acting like all of the stages and items and stuff are in. Take, for example Final Smashes. They may likely not be in the demo at all. And stage hazards. Well, we likely won't get many stages at all.
We actually got a LOT more than we were bargaining for in the Brawl demo and that was limited to who tries it. We're saying this stuff in advance - I don't expect more than six stages, myself, but we can learn anything we can about those stages, can we not?

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Really, nobody else is just gonna spam ATs and Pokeballs (and Special Flags, if they are indeed Namco ATs)?

It could deconfirm some characters, even.

Last edited:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Wishful thinking, sure, but you can't hardly blame them for being excited about the possibilities. We're essentially staring down a tidal wave of information from all across the country during E3. That's huge, no matter how big or thorough the demo is.

Really, nobody else is just gonna spam ATs and Pokeballs (and Special Flags, if they are indeed Namco ATs)?

It could deconfirm some characters, even.
Nah. They're too busy trying to figure out advanced techs so they can name it after themselves. ;)

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
For those of you who remember way back when Brawl had its demo, Gimpyfish went to the demo tests they had and came back with a big review on all the stuff. That would be cool if someone could do that.

Yea, I remember those. I will try to make a long detailed run down every day after I get home from E3 of everything I saw/experienced and all that jazz.

Hopefully I can do it right.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
We actually got a LOT more than we were bargaining for in the Brawl demo and that was limited to who tries it. We're saying this stuff in advance - I don't expect more than six stages, myself, but we can learn anything we can about those stages, can we not?
Well, we got too much during Brawl, which caused over hype. Over hype=not good reception. I personally hope that doesn't happen again.
Wishful thinking, sure, but you can't hardly blame them for being excited about the possibilities. We're essentially staring down a tidal wave of information from all across the country during E3. That's huge, no matter how big or thorough the demo is.
I agree with this.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
It will probably be a 2 minute stock match so I think its better spend to try out a character you want to try and learn how the movement flows compares to brawl. Hoepfully its not as floaty

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Well, we got too much during Brawl, which caused over hype. Over hype=not good reception. I personally hope that doesn't happen again.
Nintendo's best marketing strategy is not to be hush hush about things either. It's all about revealing things at right times. With Brawl, we got most of the big info right off the bat.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
On top of my head If possible :
-See if Pit have a codec style feature on Paluena's temple.
-Search for the purple dragon on Pyroshpere
-Bowser final smash ( Giga Bowser ? )

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Nintendo's best marketing strategy is not to be hush hush about things either. It's all about revealing things at right times. With Brawl, we got most of the big info right off the bat.
If too much info is revealed, over hype is occurred, and expectations are through the roof. Then when it turns out not as good as people thought it would be, it's ratings go down, and people say it's bad, and others don't buy it.

Klaww

Smash Cadet
NNID
KlawwTheClown
3DS FC
1220-6841-7284
If they bring the demo to Canada, I'm definitely going to see what makes Yoshi "stronger" in Smash 4.

Sadly, I have a strong feeling that it'll be US-only. In which case, someone tell me what makes Yoshi "stronger" in Smash 4 please. :yoshi64:

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Past Techs, DACUS, Wavedashing, etc, is there any way for me to perform one of these techniques?

Anything specific I missed?
If you use a custom controller set up for the DACUS, you better practice doing it with the Claw just in case they don't let you use a custom controller set up. You probably won't see wavedashing since it requires the directional airdodge :/

Test out crouch cancelling, especially on little mac, and see what differences the crouch stance has on knockback.

NewGuy79

Smash Journeyman
If the demo only consist of the character select screen try to access the options and see what you can find, (i'm talking game modes, match settings and possibly options to turn of hazards/boss battles?). Also try to see how Sakurai has implemented some of the new smash stuff; like alternate costumes and custom moves sets

ya know if their availible in the demo that is

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
If you use a custom controller set up for the DACUS, you better practice doing it with the Claw just in case they don't let you use a custom controller set up. You probably won't see wavedashing since it requires the directional airdodge :/

Test out crouch cancelling, especially on little mac, and see what differences the crouch stance has on knockback.

Yea, crouch cancelling is a good one.

I've always used Z to DACUS though. As in, dash -> c-stick downwards -> c-stick upwards + z. I am betting Z (grab) will be mapped to the right shoulder button on the Wii U Pro, making it basically the same only much more comfortable.

Or am I missing something?

You know I have this weird theory that Sakurai just might allow us to customize air dodges to work like Melee, but it probably won't happen.

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
hit stun and land lag are things I will look at first, but I also have to decide what character I will use at the Best Buy Smash Fest. If I plan on winning that tourney I need to know who I will do it as.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
hit stun and land lag are things I will look at first, but I also have to decide what character I will use at the Best Buy Smash Fest. If I plan on winning that tourney I need to know who I will do it as.

The tourney is at E3 and its invitational, only 16 people personally invited by Nintendo will be able to attend. Nintendo said they would invite "16 of the best Smash players" so we're all hoping its real pros and not just media figures. The event will be streamed for those who can't go to E3 so you will be able to watch it.

The best you can hope from Best Buy is that the line you have to stand in between each game is less than 1 hour long so that you can play more than 3 matches in a day.

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11
THANK YOU!!! Link seems to be getting better, but this is a crucial thing to see if he is finally viable or not as a main! (I'll main him anyways, but sure there are a lot people who wants to know it too!).
I second this. Seems like we have a solid mechanics list. We should be able to take character specifics to their respective threads.

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
Doesn't necessarily confirm Snake.. We could get a different more deserving Konami rep.
Snake's inclusion is more about Sakurai and Kojima's friendship. Not Konami. It'll be Kojima's own creation if anything, not a "more deserving Konami rep"

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
The best you can hope from Best Buy is that the line you have to stand in between each game is less than 1 hour long so that you can play more than 3 matches in a day.
I thought each participating best buy would have its own little tournament. Well I guess I don't have to worry about character to pick then huh. Oh well that's slightly disappointing.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
If Villager is playable, PLEASE go through his moveset. I've been wondering forever what attack the bowling ball is assigned to, and how it works if you aren't at the edge of a platform. Investigate his aerials, the fireworks attack, his ability to pull weeds, and his various throws.

And try out DK's new roll attack!

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
If Villager is playable, PLEASE go through his moveset. I've been wondering forever what attack the bowling ball is assigned to, and how it works if you aren't at the edge of a platform. Investigate his aerials, the fireworks attack, his ability to pull weeds, and his various throws.

If no one else steps up to the plate, you have my word that I'll try to do all you requested.

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
I thought each participating best buy would have its own little tournament. Well I guess I don't have to worry about character to pick then huh. Oh well that's slightly disappointing.
As I said: There's going to be a ton of people there and its going to be a loooong wait. Best Buy doesn't have the room for a big tournament like that. It's usually only 1-4 Best Buys in each state too, so people travel from miles away to pack into these places. If its anything like last demo you're going to be waiting a couple of hours just to play 10 minutes worth of smash bros. With that kind of time you can't expect them to host a tournament with hundreds of people. So savor it when you're finally up to play a match.

I believe Villager's bowling ball is his side smash. Several sources believe this and I think its marked as his side smash on the smash bros miiverse fan site. The weed pull should be down tilt I'd guess.

Last edited:

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
My friend just brought up there's a lot of thing about Villagers tree move that would be good to know.

-Can it be out indefinitely, and if not how long does it last.
-Can he have more than one at once.
-Does it act as a wall.
-If it does how does it work when placed on ledges you can grab.
-Can villager use it to create corner combos/wall infinites on any stage. banned on teams

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Oh, here's a big one. What buttons do what on the WiiU controller.

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
-Test the new ledge options and get a feel of how they really work. We've been given vague descriptions that we can't really tell one way or the other with.

-Overall comboability of the game. Can you still mash airdodge out of everything or can you actually rack some respectful damage.

-See if dash dancing is more viable than it was in Brawl.

-Test moves that induced tripping, as opposed to random tripping ex:Rob d-tilt. Zelda d-tilt, etc...

-Check shield stuns and shield mechanics (has power shielding returned? is perfect shielding still way too good?)

Other than that, just keep an eye out for anything potentially exciting, as well as any notable buffs/nerfs to the characters. I'll definitely be hitting a best buy that has it to jot down anything I can, provided the one near me happens to carry it at the time.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
All I want to see is Ridley on Pyrosphere. And maybe play as Mega Man. But I live in Canada, so it's a bit doubtful.

I believe Villager's bowling ball is his side smash. Several sources believe this and I think its marked as his side smash on the smash bros miiverse fan site. The weed pull should be down tilt I'd guess.
His side smash is the punching glove move

Last edited:
Top Bottom