• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 Checklist of things to Look for in Smash Demo

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I assume someone is going to cross-reference AT's from previous games, right?
Here's the checklist if anyone does.
Barbara, Excitebikes, Gray Fox, Hammer Bro, Helirin, Infantry and Tanks, Isaac, Jill, Jeff, Kat & Ana, Lakitu, Mr Resetti, Ray Mk. III, Shadow & Tingle.

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
Here's the checklist if anyone does.
Barbara, Excitebikes, Gray Fox, Hammer Bro, Helirin, Infantry and Tanks, Isaac, Jill, Jeff, Kat & Ana, Lakitu, Mr Resetti, Ray Mk. III, Shadow & Tingle.
Lol. I totally meant AT's as Advanced Techniques, not Assist Trophies. My bad. Lol

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Woops, I should've known by the vertical line in your username. Ah well :)

I don't think Wavedashing will be back but let's see what works.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Fox's blaster. I recall it changing in some way in one of the pic of the day photos.

Taunts. New ones. Does everyone have 4? Etc.

Toon Link. Anything new and unique to his character?

How easy is it to meteor smash.

Last edited:

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
Check if the voice actors the same.

That's an important game feel thing.
On that note, I want Bowser & Donkey Kong/Diddy Kong to actually sound like they do in their games. I'm not sure why they have weird/"realistic" sounds. Hopefully, with the way this game is shaping up (being more true to certain characters' look/feel) they'll fix this.

I just find it jarring to go from recent Mario games and DKC, then back to Brawl/Melee and have these weird-ass sounds instead of the voices.

I'm also curious what they're doing with Marth. After Brawl, we've had Marth in English for the first time since the OVA.

And will ZSS retain her Brawl voice? Or her Other M voice? Hmm...

Additionally, the announcer.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
On that note, I want Bowser & Donkey Kong/Diddy Kong to actually sound like they do in their games. I'm not sure why they have weird/"realistic" sounds. Hopefully, with the way this game is shaping up (being more true to certain characters' look/feel) they'll fix this.

I just find it jarring to go from recent Mario games and DKC, then back to Brawl/Melee and have these weird-*** sounds instead of the voices.

I'm also curious what they're doing with Marth. After Brawl, we've had Marth in English for the first time since the OVA.

And will ZSS retain her Brawl voice? Or her Other M voice? Hmm...

Additionally, the announcer.
But most important is Pit's voice.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I have a feeling that the Smash Bros demo is going to be very, very limited. In order of likelyhood, these are my predictions:
  • The demo roster will not contain any more than fifteen characters, and none of them will be characters that haven't been confirmed yet.
  • There will be less than 12 stages available to play. Pyrosphere will not be one of them.
  • The match rules will be a two- or three-minute free-for-all with items on, and there will not be any way to change these settings in the demo.
  • Final Smashes will be deactivated.
Remember: we are dealing with a demo, not a beta product. Do not expect all of your questions to be answered.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I have a feeling that the Smash Bros demo is going to be very, very limited. In order of likelyhood, these are my predictions:
  • The demo roster will not contain any more than fifteen characters, and none of them will be characters that haven't been confirmed yet.
  • There will be less than 12 stages available to play. Pyrosphere will not be one of them.
  • The match rules will be a two- or three-minute free-for-all with items on, and there will not be any way to change these settings in the demo.
Remember: we are dealing with a demo, not a beta product. Do not expect all of your questions to be answered.
I think one character may be brand new if they do an early reveal but otherwise...

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
Considering we only know 15 stages for Wii U, it's not that crazy to expect only 12. I'd say, no Pyrosphere (if there's no Ridley announcement still), no Halberd, and either no Windy Hill or no Kalos Pokemon League (wasn't formally announced yet).

Character-wise, 15 is believable, but I am pretty positive at LEAST 1-2 characters announced AT E3 will be in the demo.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well we've got at least one stage confirmed and there'll be additional demos at the Nintendo World store in New York so somebody may want o set up a tent there.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Post pictures in this thread then, if we're allowed to take them
We're looking for:
-All Kirby hats and Pallette swaps
-Moves and Final Smashes we have not seen
-Parts of moving stages we have not seen
-Assist Trophies and items we have not seen

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Dunno if it's been mentioned, but it looks like there will be after game stats on the demos. If that's the case we can test for stale move knockback reduction with the following method:

Four Marios

P1 dsmashes P2. Record percent.
P3 deals ~20% to P4.
P2 dsmashes P4. Record percent.
P1 dsmashes P3. Record percent.
End match.
Record Max Launch Speed for P2, P3, and P4.

Graph P2 and P4 MLS as function of %. Use this linear function to predict knockback at P3's percent. If this predicted value equals P3 MLS, then there is no stale move knockback reduction. If it is greater, than knockback stales for each consecutive hit.

I want to do this when I go, but I'm not sure I'll be able to convince anyone to throw a match just for one result. There's one Best Buy for probably the most populous area in NC today, so I imagine it'll be busy.

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
Has anyone else managed to get to the demo? I've been in line for an hour and still haven't gotten 1 play-through

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
I just got back from the Best Buy event. I got to play three sets, each consisting of two matches, set at a four minute free-for-all. For all matches I played as Link, but noticed things about other characters as well. However, the Best Buy people would not let me record any of it, so I have to go off of memory for what I learned, and everything kind of blurred together, so some of this I may be recalling from the E3 streams rather than my own playtime. Anyways, here's all the stuff I noticed:

-Link(and Toon Link) can NOT bomb jump.
-Link's grab range is atrociously short.
-Link's D-Air still meteors at the tip.
-Spin attack functions like Brawl, does not kill easily.
-Teching is difficult, I usually wound up airdodging before hitting the ground.
-Tap jump is obnoxiously sensitive, I could not do U-Tilts/U-Smashes at all. Same goes for 3DS version.
-Gameplay is clearly slower than Melee, but feels SO much smoother than Brawl. I cannot stress how fluid it feels to play on Wii U, but the 3DS feels clunky, mostly because I'm not used to the new hardware/control scheme.
-Link's tether is MUCH longer, and still homes in on the ledge like in Brawl.
-Weird thing, once when I tethered on Mushroom Kingdom U(while the stage had a "T" shape) while slightly above the edge, Link tethered the edge, but kept swinging realistically so that he went in a circular path under the stage. When he hit the bottom of the stage, he immediately un-tethered and I died.
-Link's Final Smash is the same as in Brawl, but covers the entire screen, rather than 3 feet.
-Link's first hit of F-Smash cannot kill very easily.
-New Dash Attack appears to be a good approach tool.
-Boomerang is still Gale Boomerang(though we see a small bit of footage of Amiibo Link using a regular Boomerang, so it is probably customizable), but actually seems good. Don't know how it affects players on the return trip to Link.
-Link's available colors are Four Swords colors(Green, Red, Blue, & Purple, in that order).
-Probably best of all, Link is not trash this time.
-Bowser's Final Smash is still Giga Bowser.
-For Greninja's Final Smash, he puts down a mat(Mat Block maybe?) in front of him. Anyone caught on it will be sent into the Night Slash we saw from his reveal(which is a cutscene).
-Greninja has a shiny palatte, also red(seen in PotD) and pink.
-WFT's Final Smash is basically Mario Finale, but doesn't last as long.
-For Mega Man's Final Smash, he shoots a large black hole looking thing in a straight line. When someone gets caught in it, it plays the Co-Star cutscene we saw in the Smash Direct(the other Mega-Men are always blue, but the player stays their chosen palatte swap).
-Fox's Final Smash is still Landmaster.
-Little Mac's "One-Hit-KO" move is actually survivable.
-Little Mac has a pink hoodie skin.
-Rosalina can summon more Luma after one gets killed.
-Luma Shot actually has a hitbox on the Luma on the way out.
-When recovering, hitting a ledge will snap you out of your recovery move, effectively "sweetspotting" the ledge for you.
-Marth's Final Smash is the same as Brawl.
-Pikachu's Final Smash seems similar to Brawl, not sure if pressing A will make it "crackle" like it did in Brawl.
-Zelda and Sheik still share the Light Arrow as a Final Smash.
-Samus cannot cancel a missile shot by landing right after firing.
-The Beetle item seems to be instant-KO off the top of the screen.
-The Fairy Bottle item is strange. I couldn't get it to heal me, but wound up throwing it at an enemy, whom it then healed.
-Items can be grabbed with aerials, grab button in mid-air, airdodges, and dash attacks.
-Rolling is faster, maybe fast enough to replace wavedashing effectively.

That's all I can think of from the top of my head, but I'll try to keep this updated as I recall more/play again on Saturday. Also, while I was there, they had some copies of Smash 3DS available to play, which is why I was able to state my problems with controlling the 3DS version. One notable difference was that the available characters were different for each version. 3DS had Sheik and Toon Link, but Wii U had Link Zelda. I got to try one round of Smash Run, but I didn't do very well, so the end battle wasn't all that different from a standard battle. One big issue I had was that they flipped the Grab and Shield buttons, so R was set to shield, and L was grab, which really threw me.

Last edited:

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
1-Link's tether is MUCH longer, and still homes in on the ledge like in Brawl.
2-Boomerang is still Gale Boomerang(though we see a small bit of footage of Amiibo Link using a regular Boomerang, so it is probably customizable), but actually seems good. Don't know how it affects players on the return trip to Link.

3-For Greninja's Final Smash, he puts down a mat(Mat Block maybe?) in front of him. Anyone caught on it will be sent into the Night Slash we saw from his reveal(which is a cutscene).

4-Little Mac has a pink hoodie skin.
5-Rosalina can summon more Luma after one gets killed.
6-Luma Shot actually has a hitbox on the Luma on the way out.
1: tethering in general has been buffed immensely
2: i wonder what other boomerang types can be used for the custom move sets
3: its a trap door. or at least thats what ive heard people calling it.
4: saaahWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETT!!!
5: already figured that would be possible, not sure why its surprising
6: why wouldnt it? it is shown to have damage in the reveal trailer.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Somebody, anybody, check if there is a Dark Pit palette swap in the demo at Best Buy. I want to know whether it helps Dark Pit's chances at being playable.
Dark Pit wasn't a palette swap. However a lot of them seem to be missing. For example Wire Frame Mac was apparently not selectable.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Dark Pit wasn't a palette swap. However a lot of them seem to be missing. For example Wire Frame Mac was apparently not selectable.
Yeah, palate swaps were very limited. Link only had the four colors I mentioned available to select.
6: why wouldnt it? it is shown to have damage in the reveal trailer.
Where in the trailer was this? I don't remember seeing it.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I just got back from the Best Buy event. I got to play three sets, each consisting of two matches, set at a four minute free-for-all. For all matches I played as Link, but noticed things about other characters as well. However, the Best Buy people would not let me record any of it, so I have to go off of memory for what I learned, and everything kind of blurred together, so some of this I may be recalling from the E3 streams rather than my own playtime. Anyways, here's all the stuff I noticed:

-Link(and Toon Link) can NOT bomb jump.
-Link's grab range is atrociously short.
-Link's D-Air still meteors at the tip.
-Spin attack functions like Brawl, does not kill easily.
-Teching is difficult, I usually wound up airdodging before hitting the ground.
-Tap jump is obnoxiously sensitive, I could not do U-Tilts/U-Smashes at all. Same goes for 3DS version.
-Gameplay is clearly slower than Melee, but feels SO much smoother than Brawl. I cannot stress how fluid it feels to play on Wii U, but the 3DS feels clunky, mostly because I'm not used to the new hardware/control scheme.
-Link's tether is MUCH longer, and still homes in on the ledge like in Brawl.
-Weird thing, once when I tethered on Mushroom Kingdom U(while the stage had a "T" shape) while slightly above the edge, Link tethered the edge, but kept swinging realistically so that he went in a circular path under the stage. When he hit the bottom of the stage, he immediately un-tethered and I died.
-Link's Final Smash is the same as in Brawl, but covers the entire screen, rather than 3 feet.
-Link's first hit of F-Smash cannot kill very easily.
-New Dash Attack appears to be a good approach tool.
-Boomerang is still Gale Boomerang(though we see a small bit of footage of Amiibo Link using a regular Boomerang, so it is probably customizable), but actually seems good. Don't know how it affects players on the return trip to Link.
-Link's available colors are Four Swords colors(Green, Red, Blue, & Purple, in that order).
-Probably best of all, Link is not trash this time.
-Bowser's Final Smash is still Giga Bowser.
-For Greninja's Final Smash, he puts down a mat(Mat Block maybe?) in front of him. Anyone caught on it will be sent into the Night Slash we saw from his reveal(which is a cutscene).
-Greninja has a shiny palatte, also red(seen in PotD) and pink.
-For Mega Man's Final Smash, he shoots a large black hole looking thing in a straight line. When someone gets caught in it, it plays the Co-Star cutscene we saw in the Smash Direct(the other Mega-Men are always blue, but the player stays their chosen palatte swap).
-Fox's Final Smash is still Landmaster.
-Little Mac's "One-Hit-KO" move is actually survivable.
-Little Mac has a pink hoodie skin.
-Rosalina can summon more Luma after one gets killed.
-Luma Shot actually has a hitbox on the Luma on the way out.
-When recovering, hitting a ledge will snap you out of your recovery move, effectively "sweetspotting" the ledge for you.
-Marth's Final Smash is the same as Brawl.
-Pikachu's Final Smash seems similar to Brawl, not sure if pressing A will make it "crackle" like it did in Brawl.
-Zelda and Sheik still share the Light Arrow as a Final Smash.

That's all I can think of from the top of my head, but I'll try to keep this updated as I recall more/play again on Saturday. Also, while I was there, they had some copies of Smash 3DS available to play, which is why I was able to state my problems with controlling the 3DS version. One notable difference was that the available characters were different for each version. 3DS had Sheik and Toon Link, but Wii U had Link Zelda. I got to try one round of Smash Run, but I didn't do very well, so the end battle wasn't all that different from a standard battle. One big issue I had was that they flipped the Grab and Shield buttons, so R was set to shield, and L was grab, which really threw me.

Really? They let us record footage and interview other gamers on Camera. Here's my friend's footage of our battles.

I was Zelda in both matches. Hopefully you guys can analyze this. It's pretty nice quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs-ObbYeN_w

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Yeah, palate swaps were very limited. Link only had the four colors I mentioned available to select.

Where in the trailer was this? I don't remember seeing it.
your right its not in the trailer, or the smash direct.
but i thought it was blatantly obvious.
i mean, you can charge the attack to make it go farther. and it looks like it does damage, with the swirly effects. it would almost be a pointless move if only to use it for luma placement.

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
Check to see if dash dancing is still in. See if any aerials auto cancel as some did in Brawl. In the E3 Smash Invitational, I remember I saw Link do an Up B immediately after landing a Dair on the ground, appeared as though it was cancelled somehow.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Check to see if dash dancing is still in. See if any aerials auto cancel as some did in Brawl. In the E3 Smash Invitational, I remember I saw Link do an Up B immediately after landing a Dair on the ground, appeared as though it was cancelled somehow.
Dash dancing is kind of in. I tried to do it, and it didn't work, but if I mashed the control stick back and forth as fast as I can, they would do 1 or 2 dash dances that had almost no distance whatsoever. As for cancels, all I found were edge cancels. L-canceling is gone, and I don't know enough about auto-cancels to tell if they were present or not.
EDIT: Here, VG Boot Camp put up a video showing how dash dancing works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i3VqY6-0jk&index=6

Last edited:

Chepe

Smash Lord
Can Yoshi jump out of his shield in the 3DS version? Today's the last day to get an answer to this, so it would be nice if any Smash Fest attendees could play as Yoshi on the 3DS and try jumping with the X or Y buttons while shielding...

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
Can Yoshi jump out of his shield in the 3DS version? Today's the last day to get an answer to this, so it would be nice if any Smash Fest attendees could play as Yoshi on the 3DS and try jumping with the X or Y buttons while shielding...
I read somewhere that he can in fact jump out of shield.

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
Oh, was it here on Smashboards? Perhaps in the Yoshi forum? This would be excellent news if true...
Yeah, it was somewhere here on the Smashboards. I can't say with 100% certainty that it was in the Yoshi boards, but I do know that I most definitely heard that Yoshi can jump out of his shield somewhere around here.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
so now taht the smash fest of over, do we have a list of stuff that is confirmed that we predicted, some new stuff, or anything that was changed?

Top Bottom