• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard Videos Thread

SkyboundTerror

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SkyboundTerror
3DS FC
0559-6972-5367
Here's a video of one of my best Charizard replays. My opponent wrecked me the following match, but at least I got these sweet two minutes out of the tournament. I have to say, the hitbox on Charizard's meteor smash is deceiving.

Last edited:

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
I would like to request a good Charizard player posting some videos of themselves fighting against some good King Dedede players. I am someone who consistently destroys everyone in For Glory with Charizard... until I run into a King Dedede. King Dedede is, from my experience, the single worst, and maybe even the only negative matchup for Charizard in this game. I would like to know if my experience is simply a result of me doing something or wrong, or if I am actually correct in my judgment.

Shog

Smash Ace
@ Knee Smasher Knee Smasher I guess you also have problem dealing with F Tilt, Side B and Jab from King Dedededede? Because that is my main gripe. Combine that with the fact that the fat penguin can juggle you easy, well...it is a troublesome matchup afterall

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I'll post a video next time I face a D3 on AiB. It's not a horrible matchup, IMO, but I usually switch to Marth for it.

Sheik feels way harder IMO. Yoshi is probably tougher as well.

Smaugfan

Smash Cadet
What the hell was I supposed to do against this pacman??? I got absolutely wrecked.
If it were me, I would stay close to the opponent in the match. Staying close limits the player's chances to cycle through and select an item to use as a projectile against you. From the looks of it, that Pac player does short hopping with the fire hydrant pretty well. I would be short hopping as well with tilts. Preferably those tilts that can stun and allow me to follow up with a rock smash. I would save the flare blitz until closer to the percents to wipe out a stock.

MasterExocuter

Smash Cadet
What the hell was I supposed to do against this pacman??? I got absolutely wrecked.
So for PacMan, one thing that I noticed that helps, is if you use flamethrower when he throws his fruit. I don't think it can stop the keys, but It can stop some of the weaker ones like the cherry and the apple and the strawberry. Also, you want to be very aggressive. don't let pacman get keys, and don't give him room to use his side-special and dash attack. You want to be ledgeguarding a lot with flamethrower and nair, which is not that hard against PacMan. Another thing that you want to do, is use rock smash whenever PacMan uses his dash attack. It cancels knockback, but you still take damage. One final thing, is when you hit PackMan into the air, he will ALWAYS always always go for the fire hydrant. make sure and read the fire hydrant, and set up for a punish--maybe flare blitz, or be ready to hit the hydrant at Pac Man. Usually a F-smash will send it flying.

Joalro

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0189-8794-0585
Here's a video of one of my best Charizard replays. My opponent wrecked me the following match, but at least I got these sweet two minutes out of the tournament. I have to say, the hitbox on Charizard's meteor smash is deceiving.

So I've been playing a lot of charizard lately, and doing pretty well with him In Glory online. I'm not ready to say I'm great with him, or anything, yet, but I do pretty well.

My question is why you don't seem to use much rock smash? Personally, the best use for rock smash is

i) to break out of combos, by activating the super armour

ii) to prevent being attacked in air, when returning to ground. For example, in the 58 second mark, I would have used a rock smash to counter Ness' air attacks.

Is there a reason, beyond personal play style, why you don't really use the move at all?

SkyboundTerror

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SkyboundTerror
3DS FC
0559-6972-5367
So I've been playing a lot of charizard lately, and doing pretty well with him In Glory online. I'm not ready to say I'm great with him, or anything, yet, but I do pretty well.

My question is why you don't seem to use much rock smash? Personally, the best use for rock smash is

i) to break out of combos, by activating the super armour

ii) to prevent being attacked in air, when returning to ground. For example, in the 58 second mark, I would have used a rock smash to counter Ness' air attacks.

Is there a reason, beyond personal play style, why you don't really use the move at all?
I tend to use Rock Smash as a wild card, and occasionally as a combo enabler. It's not as useful and fast as it was in Brawl, but its new attributes make it a powerful tool for trading attacks and punishing bad rolls, as well as dodges. It also works as a decent edgeguarding tool, though Flamethrower does the job better. In short, it decimates inexperienced players.

This was the first good Ness I had played in a long time (and wow, was he good), and I couldn't find a moment when it would have benefited me. I wasn't going to risk using Rock Smash because of how slow it is, so I stuck to the attacks with faster output and longer range. He had creamed me in the two matches before this one - Ness is a scary character to face as Charizard, because he WILL combo you.

F-air is your friend when facing Ness. Pivot grabs and short hops are your best friends.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Finally got around to recording a match :D! Not my best match by any means, please consider online and the opponent wasn't anything special.

However, I think it shows off a variety of Charizard strategies. OoS upB, nair spacing/edge guarding, throw combos etc.

Obviously I got a little frisky with the flare blitz off stage, but I think I would've made it back without lag :p

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
@ Swoops Swoops sweet lord that was amazing! You make such great use of Nair and you never whiff the Fair, man that stuff is Cherryzard approved! Would like to battle you to get better with mine. (Especially since you say this wasn't your best perfomance :D)

I am not sure if I can give you tips, as for example I wanted to say that you could use more OOS UP B, but you did that in the second stock combined with great followups... hmm, that was a great display:4charizard:.

I also liked how you baited the Lucina approach one time with a Rock Smash because you were sure that ugly Marth wannabe wanted to use the Dash Attack, good stuff. The distance was also good enough that you could shield/spot dodge in case you missed.

Btw do you think F Smash is bad or why do you never use it? I mean it has invincible frames after making the move. That was atleast for me useful for punishing counters for example. Would like to hear your opinion.

Finally, that mistake with flare blitz showed me one thing: Dragon Rush would have done the same job getting Lucina off-stage and you would have recovered easily. I hope more people try it out.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Thanks @ Shog Shog ! I appreciate the kind words. I'll add my name to the player list so we can trade codes and fight sometime.

F-smash is definitely a move I want to incorporate more. My main excuse is that this is on 3DS and F-smash has been hard to bust out during faster paced matches. Unfortunately it's just not the first move on my mind so I keep forgetting to use it! The point is noted though, I'll try to remember to use it more :).

I haven't got to try out dragon rush much...for glory mode and all that. Personally I think the recovery distance seems to be about the same, but I may be wrong. I actually learned I could've used my triple jump there and the FB would've taken me to the ledge. My main gripe with Dragon Rush is lack of armor but as I get more friend codes and play locally on 3ds/wii u I'll have to try it out more.

I think I should be able to get another match up later tonight. Happy halloween people!

Thatsa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
THATSA
3DS FC
3351-5342-1929
Here is a vid where I play against a Jiggs.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

If possible, I'd like critique.

I'm sorry that it looks like I was recording with a rock.

Last edited:

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Getting it up a little later than I thought, but I hope you enjoy. This was a decent Sonic, but the standard online/for glory disclaimer applies:

Comments and likes are always appreciated!

Thatsa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
THATSA
3DS FC
3351-5342-1929
I've always had problems vs Olimar, but thats just not me knowing the matchup very well. Here is a game where I feel I played pretty good against one in For Glory

Smash_Of_Fate

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Babael_Of_Fate
3DS FC
1134-7601-5121
I wasn't sure if I should have made a new thread or not so I'll be safe and just post here.

Wi-Fi friendlies
http://www.twitch.tv/theodofaction/b/580610962

Matches starts at 3:00:00

Some sets I had with DarkM of The Odo Faction. DarkM calls me Babael because that's my Twitch name Babael_Of_Fate. Any criticism is appreciated constructive or not. One thing I did notice after watching our matches is that I have a bad habit of rolling or moving backwards after I re-spawn from a KO. I don't know if I was giving DarkM too much respect or what but I now have a mental note of that as well as a few other bad habits.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Wow, I didn't know that Rock Smash could be used as a combo breaker of sorts and that Flare Blitz had Super Armor. This videos were very informative, thanks guys.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Just uploaded some more vids onto my channel. My spacing and punish game are getting better and better.

These vids were friendlies against a pretty good ZSS and I started out pretty sloppy in both of them but I got some really solid reads/punishes.

YeahVeryeah

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4184-3623-5583
Love those patient ftilts, that early spike, and the turnaround during game three. However, your audio was wacked. Game one was only in my right speaker and I thought my computer was damaged. The later games were mostly in the left. Might be a weird aspect of how you recorded?

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
That's very strange... huh

I record videos with my phone so the quality isn't the best.

Hopefully when the Wii U version comes out this won't be a problem.

R!otStar

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2380-2994-3529
Hey guy, i have some vids showcasing some top level charizard play but i need 10 post to post a link :/....

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
(Can't believe I'm typing this for the 3rd time in a row)
So there was a release day Sm4sh U tournament at Dubai's IGN Convention. I mainly repped Pacman and Charizard, with some other characters.

http://www.twitch.tv/falcon_arena/b/591579029 First two matches here are of my Charizard (losers finals), vs Dedede & Toon Link (yes, that ear-piercing laughter at 2:05 was mine)
http://www.twitch.tv/falcon_arena/b/591586827 Last match (at 6:30), vs Mario

It feels like I'm being predictable, but because my opponents aren't catching up with my habits, I'm not improving much.

Last edited:

Trela

Smash Lord
How's it going guys? Finally here to show y'all my matches with Charizard from Sky's Invitational last weekend. Out of all three of the characters I play in a tournament setting, I was surprised to have found myself playing Charizard the most, even in friendlies. Never would I of thought that I could do so well with this character.

I'm not sure why it honestly happened, but I remember reading the first page of this thread looking for some other Charizards to learn from, and I saw a few players talking about MY Charizard and how good they thought it was. Someone even made GIFS of some of the silly stuff I was doing with him, lol. As weird as it may sound, this actually provoked me to putting more time into the character. Not only was I having fun playing as him, but others actually enjoy watching Smash 4 when I bring out this character. It's the little posts like these and the people like them that drive me to continue to stand out from others and try my best with a character like Charizard. Of course, it wasn't JUST BECAUSE of those posts that I started playing him more, but it really got me thinking. I told myself that I could never main him, but if I were to bring him out in a tournament set, I'd make sure that I took my time slowly with him and not be discouraged if I did bad with him.

Boy, has it been one heck of a ride.

But anyways, sorry for going into all that just now, hah! Here's the stream archives of all my matches that I played with Charizard:

http://www.twitch.tv/sky_mp3/b/591077333 - 01:12:40 Vs. Zinoto (Diddy) Games 2 to 5 (Exhibition Set)

http://www.twitch.tv/sky_mp3/b/591693858 - 03:31:50 Vs. False (Sheik) Games 2 and 3 (Winner's R2)

- 04:45:35 Vs. ZeRo (Fox) Games 1 and 2 (Winner's Quarters)

- 05:53:45 Vs Esam (Pika) Game 1 Only (Loser's R4)​

http://www.twitch.tv/nakat973/b/592093408 - 01:30:15 Vs ZeRo (Diddy) Games 3 and 4 (Exhibition Set)

Also, here's a rematch with my Charizard Vs. Denti in Swiss Rounds from when I was in Dallas not too long ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2IC_Yxthjs

If you have any critique, tips, or anything of the sort, please let me know!

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
If you have any critique, tips, or anything of the sort, please let me know!
Great games man, can't really critique you since you're better than me. xP The only advice I can give you is that Back Throw into F-Air at 0% is hard to pull off on characters like Fox and Shiek. Doing a dash attack instead of F-Air works better against those characters at 0%.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Streaming some Charizard. Come on in and we can discuss some Charizard.

twitch.tv/DarkLouisSSBM

Top Bottom