• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard Videos Thread

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Blue vs Orion

(Can't post direct links yet but this set was too good to pass on) clashtournaments/b/595465024
03:13 (Game 2) [:4sheik:]
07:50 (Game 3) [:4falcon:]

Last edited:

Volimutt

Smash Cadet
NNID
CapnDonutBear
3DS FC
3840-8943-0914

Zard chain grab confirmed.

I seem to double posted. How do I delete one of these?

Last edited by a moderator:

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
That's not a chain grab, all the opponent has to do to get out of it is jump.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Here are some of my Charizard For Glory matches. I just picked him up a few days ago so I made some obvious mistakes but I can only improve.

Charizard vs Captain Falcon: http://youtu.be/za2fNbvotes

Charizard vs Sheik: http://youtu.be/7Br7KgzqKpc
I'm pretty new to Zard myself and also have my own vids to upload later for criticism, but if I may, I'd like to maybe point a few things that stood out to me:

• In the Sheik match, I only saw you use Nair like only two times. In the Falcon match I don't remember you using it all. I was told that's like the best attack he has, with its amazingly good hitbox and being a potent combo starter (usually into a jab or Ftilt) if spaced and timed properly. I have trouble using this move myself though....
  • Way too much rolling, especially when retreating from that Falcon player. Ideally, rolls shouldn't be used as a form of mobility on any character and is pretty punishable if abused. But Charizard in particular, his roll is awful since its sooooo slow and doesn't even travel all that. Neither of those guys punished you that much for it, but I think a better player wouldn't let you get away with it. Your opponents also seemed to roll a couple of times too and ended up eating a lot of your moves
  • I would avoid using Bair so close to the ground if I were you, landing lag is nasty.
  • You were also kind of obvious about your smashes, which I think is a bad idea with Zard considering how slow his smash attacks are.
  • Nice Dair meteors
  • Love your use of the Flamethrower when you were edgeguarding and stopping their rushes, keep it up!
  • I don't play Falcon or Sheik, but from the looks of it, neither of your opponents were that great. That Sheik player didn't use the Needles much or any shorthop fairs, and seemed to approach alot with dash attacks and grabs. Falcon was rolling like a madman and made poor use of his special moves, and also used his Fsmash a little too much.
But hey, like I said, I am still learning the ropes with Zard myself. So you're probably better off with someone else's advice but I tried to help anyway. Good luck!

megamain

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-1300-6153
I'm pretty new to Zard myself and also have my own vids to upload later for criticism, but if I may, I'd like to maybe point a few things that stood out to me:

• In the Sheik match, I only saw you use Nair like only two times. In the Falcon match I don't remember you using it all. I was told that's like the best attack he has, with its amazingly good hitbox and being a potent combo starter (usually into a jab or Ftilt) if spaced and timed properly. I have trouble using this move myself though....
  • Way too much rolling, especially when retreating from that Falcon player. Ideally, rolls shouldn't be used as a form of mobility on any character and is pretty punishable if abused. But Charizard in particular, his roll is awful since its sooooo slow and doesn't even travel all that. Neither of those guys punished you that much for it, but I think a better player wouldn't let you get away with it. Your opponents also seemed to roll a couple of times too and ended up eating a lot of your moves
  • I would avoid using Bair so close to the ground if I were you, landing lag is nasty.
  • You were also kind of obvious about your smashes, which I think is a bad idea with Zard considering how slow his smash attacks are.
  • Nice Dair meteors
  • Love your use of the Flamethrower when you were edgeguarding and stopping their rushes, keep it up!
  • I don't play Falcon or Sheik, but from the looks of it, neither of your opponents were that great. That Sheik player didn't use the Needles much or any shorthop fairs, and seemed to approach alot with dash attacks and grabs. Falcon was rolling like a madman and made poor use of his special moves, and also used his Fsmash a little too much.
But hey, like I said, I am still learning the ropes with Zard myself. So you're probably better off with someone else's advice but I tried to help anyway. Good luck!
Thanks for the tips! The funny thing is that I don't roll nearly as much with my other characters as I do with Charizard. I'll have to do less rolling then. The nair is good but I do forget to use it sometimes. Yea they probably were new Sheik and Captain Falcon players. I decided to show you guys. These videos because they're around my skill level with Charizard with their characters I feel. I did play this crazy ZSS earlier in which I was playing out of my mind and somehow won that match haha

Last edited:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
With Zard it's easy to get into rolling because he doesn't any really fast reversal kind of move to get them out of your face. So instead of trying to deal with it's easy to think you can solve it by just rolling away.

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
...So what in mind, what "get out of my face" moves would you recommend?
I personally go with OoS nair or up B (at a sufficiently higher % with the right positioning). Whenever I go for Rock Smash, it often fails (because it takes a while to land, I get grabbed, etc)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
...So what in mind, what "get out of my face" moves would you recommend?
I personally go with OoS nair or up B (at a sufficiently higher % with the right positioning). Whenever I go for Rock Smash, it often fails (because it takes a while to land, I get grabbed, etc)
To be honest with Zard you shouldn't have to end up in a situation like that. You should keep your opponent a decent distance away with stuff like retreating Flamethrower, throws, Nair and Fair and so on.

If you do get into a situation where someone gets through your defense you will have to risks. Usmash and Utilt can wreck most moves from below them. Ftilt angled up can eat their horizontally spaced aerial approach.
Roll is sometimes a good choice in a situation like a Yoshi jumping at you with Bair or Nair. Those moves are pretty safe and it can be risky to punish them. Rolling behind Yoshi really late can work because Yoshi has the highest air speed in the game but his ability to reverse his momentum in the air is more limited than someone like Wario.

And a ballsy upB works way more than it should. Same with Rock Smash. Make them respect the armor.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
Here is my Charizard. Tips for what to work and improve on?? I haven't been using him for long but I really like the character so far.

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
@ Shariq Shariq :
  • Don't use d-air as an anti-ground move when falling down. It's pretty laggy and can be punished if your opponent techs.
  • Don't roll so much; though I assume this is a general problem you have with your other characters too.
  • Don't use down throw for any purpose other than KOing or setting up an edgeguard. At low %s, up throw or back throw (to fair) work wonders. (though I'm surprised that back throw at the end killed)
  • Try to avoid shielding Mega Man's forward smash (especially if it's being charged). It's better to just hop over it and punish.
  • If you get a Crash Bomb stuck on you and you can't transfer it, it's better to air dodge or spot dodge; you avoid that bit of unblockable % and shield damage.
  • You -could- use Flare Blitz to tank his weaker projectiles, but I haven't tried it much, myself, so I'm not sure how well that'd go.
Either way, it's better to show videos where you were challenged more, but you're starting well.

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
I agree with Rashid don't use Dair as an anti ground move, Nair is a much better option but using the Dair near the ledges was fine.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
hey guys. Here is a video i did when i tried out charizard out during a for glory set. So far I love his moveset and potential. I show off some techniques I found, some ways to make it aerials work, and just have some fun playing my favoirte pokemon. I hope you enjoy it : )

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
New to Zard and use him as a pocket character. Looking for some advice to take my gameplay to the next level and let me know what I need to work on most.

vs. :4shulk:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYKq7H6BwWQ&index=12&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ
vs. :4tlink:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fPJCwwBb5k&index=11&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ
vs. :4luigi:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3h37DMuQ6k&index=10&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ
vs. :4diddy:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEHbpS9KIj8&index=9&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ

I probably should find better opponents next time, but this is all I can get for now. Critique away!

Last edited:

MasterExocuter

Smash Cadet
Here are some of my Charizard For Glory matches. I just picked him up a few days ago so I made some obvious mistakes but I can only improve.

Charizard vs Captain Falcon: http://youtu.be/za2fNbvotes

Charizard vs Sheik: http://youtu.be/7Br7KgzqKpc
When you play against fast characters, you want to be getting those nair into jab combos. Your nair is probably one of your best defense mechanisms other than your rock smash just because of how large of an area it covers. One thing I really like to do, is to get an up-tilt off, and then nair, and then uptilt again. It's a good low-percent juggle that can be fun to use. Usually when facing fast characters, they won't anticipate the range of Charizard's tilts. Charizard's tail hits extra hard on the tip with the fire, so spacing is a key element when playing the defensive game. Charizard's rock smash is probably your go-to safe option at higher percents. Few moves can actually break rock smash's super armor, so you should be baiting out attacks from your enemy and punishing them with Rock smash. An especially good strategy IMO is to use rock smash when you're coming down in the air. Normally I would think this is a scrubby move since I see Rock smash as a sort of counter, however in this instance you should be using rock smash as a bait move rather than a safety option. If for an instance, I'm playing Sonic against a charizard, and I've knocked him into the air and he has high percent, I'm most likely going to try and go in for a kill move. If I decide to go in for the kill move, the enemy charizard can just use rock smash and kill me off the top. because of Rock smash's upwards trajectory, it will pretty much kill off the top if your opponent is at kill percent. I don't recommend using rock smash too much, mostly save it for when you're in fear of being KOd. Most of the time Nair will suffice at lower percent for providing protection and a decent approach. Hope this helps in any way, PM me if you wanna fight!

MasterExocuter

Smash Cadet
New to Zard and use him as a pocket character. Looking for some advice to take my gameplay to the next level and let me know what I need to work on most.

vs. :4shulk:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYKq7H6BwWQ&index=12&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ
vs. :4tlink:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fPJCwwBb5k&index=11&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ
vs. :4luigi:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3h37DMuQ6k&index=10&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ
vs. :4diddy:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEHbpS9KIj8&index=9&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ

I probably should find better opponents next time, but this is all I can get for now. Critique away!
I really like your Charizard. I think you've got the right Idea on most things, and I REALLY REALLY like the upthrow to side-B combo you did against Luigi. I've tried that every now and then, but it's hard to judge which characters it works on. I think most of all you need to improve on landing your nairs and auto-cancelling them a bit better (sometimes your nair landings are a bit akward) and also sometimes you threw out nairs that missed and left you vulnerable.

For the Shulk MU, you should play defensively and punish for counters. Shulk's moves aren't all that fast, so waiting for an opening should be your priority. Also stay away from those annoying F-smashes. They can mess you up.

Toon Link on the other hand, you want to play aggressively IMO. You don't want to give TLink room to breathe so he can pull out bombs and boomerangs and all that. You want to get up-close and overpower Toon Link's short sword range. Constantly expect Toon link to down air whenever he is above you, so wait for it to happen and grab. Don't charge an f-smash, because the windbox on Tlink's down air can possibly push you out of range.

For Luigi, I believe you should play defensively at first but slowly become more offensive. I believe that at lower percentages, Luigi can be more of a threat purely because of how if he manages to pull off a trade or a read and gets you into a combo... it won't be pretty. Use your mobility to get around the fireballs, and ALWAYS respect the luigi missile. NEVER doubt the missile, because when you least expect it, your opponent will get a misfire.

Lastly, For diddy, you want to play a mixed style. I've played against a couple of diddy kongs, and what I would do is play aggressively at the start to throw my opponent off. I like to take diddy's Bananas and shove them in his face. A common diddy strat is to try and get those up air follow ups off of down throw. Use your Charizard mobility to jump out of those dumb follow ups, and retaliate with a falling nair or something. If diddy tries to leap at you, a well timed side-tilt should do the trick. I don't have too much match up experience with diddy, but you should definitely be careful.

I haven't really mentioned flare blitz much, because I figured you can integrate it into your playstyle however you want. Use it to primarily Punish rolls, recover, and for follow ups on some moves. You can even use it when the opponent is firing a projectile. One cool trick with flare blitz that you should only use once per game, is when you're recovering at high percentages, flare blitz onto the stage, but then do another in the opposite direction. It will catch people off guard, because their only thought is to set up for an attack after you land from flare blitz. Hope all of this text wall helped, and feel free to PM me or something

GER-Griever

Smash Rookie
NNID
StarsGriever
I really need some help.
I think I use to much bad stuff, which is not good, but I need some more experience players to tell me what exactly I do wrong and what I can make better.

vs.:4falco:https: //www .youtube. com/watch?v=zr61JBSx6SQ
vs. :rosalina:https: //www .youtube. com/watch?v=QztHxUwcfFY
vs. :4shulk:https: //www .youtube. com/watch?v=BqrmWt6PmXQ

These aren't Tournament matches, just some offline friendlys, but I really try to get that competitve feeling with some First to X

J0A0B

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0044-2975-0850
vs. :rosalina:https: //www .youtube. com/watch?v=QztHxUwcfFY
I'm having similar problems with :rosalina: in general. You gameplay seems far more advanced than mine and you're handling your survival pretty well. I noticed a few goofs on the second match, but during the third match, I really think it seems impossible to stop her for several annoying reasons.

1) Seems like her hurtbox is so thin to reach against and yet most of her hitboxes from her attacks are wide ranged, especially her throw. Believe me, I've tried dash attacks against a Lvl 9 CPU and yet her running grab catches me first from a far distance, without Luma.

2) Her smash attacks, grabs and aerials all start quickly and end quickly, leaving her time to defend or dodge any attack that Charizard throws, no matter how quick they are. It seems like the only way you can ever hit her is if the player made a mistake.

3) That player appeared to be fox-trotting a lot and really makes it difficult for her to be read. Also her dodge rolls seem extremely safe.

I wish I could help, but I too would like to hear from anyone else about how to deal with this nearly impossible match up. It almost seems 9-1 match up unfair, balance-wise.

blaze1216j

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blaze1216j
Switch FC
0463-6711-5134
I did a Charizard match a few weeks back, where I play against a Samus in For Flory, nothing too fancy though. I have other videos on my channel of me using charizard. well, enjoy the video.

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
Me fighting against a highly-skilled Wii Fit Trainer on Anther's ladder. This video shows me making an EPIC comeback when I was down by 2 entire stocks!

Last edited:

tmonty17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-0649-1581
Me fighting against a highly-skilled Wii Fit Trainer on Anther's ladder. This video shows me making an EPIC comeback when I was down by 2 entire stocks!

As a constructive critique, I think your game would improve if you started utilizing Ftilt and boulder and easing up on the flare blitz. Charizards side B is one of his best moves no doubt but if you use it too much it becomes extremely easy to avoid and you rack up the damage on yourself.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
My 2nd day attempting to play Charizard. Hopefully he'll become my main, but I could use some tips. Here's a video!

For the record, the last combo-to-KO was completely unintended XD

Last edited:

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
Here are two videos of me fighting Direonfire, a professional Smasher, on his stream. I fought him in fifteen matches, alternating between Charizard and Captain Falcon, ending up winning nine matches in total:

Last edited:

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
We need some more Charizard videos up in here!

Feel like for what this was I basically played this match up perfectly. Captain Falcon just couldn't hold his footing and I abused the hell out of shield grabs and kept him on the back foot the whole match.

Last edited:

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
GroundZero(Charizard)_VS_Rocky(Ganondorf)
GroundZero(Charizard)_VS_S(Robin)
GroundZero(Charizard)_VS_alexrider(Mario)

I really need to start playing on the Anther ladder more so I can upload videos on non-Omega stages.

If you like my Charizard gameplay please check out my other videos and subscribe!

Last edited:

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
Here is a video in which my Charizard managed to live up to 277% against a ROB:

Also, here is a video showing my Charizard in a 2 VS. 2. Team Attack is off though:

Real Smooth-Like

Smash Apprentice
Here is a video in which my Charizard managed to live up to 277% against a ROB:

Also, here is a video showing my Charizard in a 2 VS. 2. Team Attack is off though:

Dang dude you got some dirty reads with flare blitz and forward smash. Good freakin work. You did have a bit of a slow start. I'd try to to approach with some different options other than flamethrower, it's good but it gets predictable. There were also a few times you could have gone offstage with him and finished him with a dair, his recovery was hella predictable. Other than that, gg. You did great

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
Hello there, I'm a G&W main and just played a pretty good player of your kind on smashladder. Would appreciate a bit of talk about the game here, and hope I possibly introduce you to skilled G&W play - I'm sure no one really talks about him on this forum as of now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK9MkaLrROs

Last edited:
Top Bottom