• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard Videos Thread

Charey

Smash Apprentice
Here is a doubles match I did at my local weekly tournament with a Shulk. I think it shows off some good teamwork and some fairly solid play.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621

vs Joe Fattal :4diddy:

Recently, I've been trying to pick up Charizard. If you guys have constructive criticism on where I'm lacking, lay it on me!

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
So it's been a while since using Charizard regularly (played more Luigi after the WiiU version came out,) but I decided to play him a little more seriously at our latest stream session in AZ. The Arizona Salt Mine!

Check link for the archive:

http://www.twitch.tv/mvg_league/v/3859243

02:28:45

02:34:00

03:31:30

Vs Sheik, Diddy, and more Sheik

I lost quite a few but they felt like overall pretty damn good matches. Feel free to critique if you like. Also, if you're into watching hype sets on the Gamer stage, check out 02:24:00.

If you like what you see make sure to check back in to The Salt Mine! We'll most likely be playing again on Thursday.

J0A0B

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0044-2975-0850
So it's been a while since using Charizard regularly (played more Luigi after the WiiU version came out,) but I decided to play him a little more seriously at our latest stream session in AZ. The Arizona Salt Mine!

Check link for the archive:

http://www.twitch.tv/mvg_league/v/3859243

02:28:45

02:34:00

03:31:30

Vs Sheik, Diddy, and more Sheik

I lost quite a few but they felt like overall pretty damn good matches. Feel free to critique if you like. Also, if you're into watching hype sets on the Gamer stage, check out 02:24:00.

If you like what you see make sure to check back in to The Salt Mine! We'll most likely be playing again on Thursday.
I don't mean to be that guy who brings harsh criticism, but I didn't find any of those fights to be enthralling. Most of your victories were either because of luck, or the opponent made too many mistakes. I saw that flamethrower being used way too often when Sheik is obviously airborne to evade and there were many moments when Charizard held the shield for too long during the opportunities to attack the opponent while they were off their guard. But even with those aside, the mastery of Diddy and Sheik made it almost impossible to find appropriate weak points to exploit against them. Surviving those two so-called S-tiers with a few wins don't show much progress if they're still winning the majority. Seeing those two dominate Charizard several times only made me want to wish them to be nerfed drastically to Greninja's downgrade.

I'm sorry if this is really mean-spirited for a message, but all the videos I've seen lately show Charizard struggling himself to end up in failure and with all the talk about his potential to yet be revealed, I have yet to see any skilled play deemed awesome. If this keeps up, people are gonna treat him to be a bad character more and more and I know that is not true.

Again, I apologize. It hasn't been a good month for this game's balance.

On a more positive note, I found GroundZero's plays to be very inspiring and I wish to see more from him. They were good to enough to even help me improve in my online experience.

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
Here are two videos of me (Charizard) VS. a person known as EgeDalyan (Rosalina & Luma) in a customs tournament, though I did not use any custom moves myself. Sorry for the terrible quality:

SmashRacer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmashRacer
A really intense match I had against a Fox player in a Online EU Tourney held yesterday. It started off badly for me, but then amazing things happen once in a while. Critique are welcome

J0A0B

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0044-2975-0850
Great work making the comeback. That Fox player deserved to lose for exploiting that cheap jab lock that should be illegal.

SmashRacer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmashRacer
Great work making the comeback. That Fox player deserved to lose for exploiting that cheap jab lock that should be illegal.
Thanks for the critique:)
I started playing him about 2 weeks ago, and I already got better since then. I hard read that airdodge at the end. It's a bad habit we all need to break. The Fox player didn't do the jab lock the second match, since he probably knew I was going to counter Dsmash or Usmash with Fly. He didn't deserve to lose to be honest, but it is cheap for sure

Last edited:

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
But Fox's lasers are supposed to be transcendent.. they don't clash with anything. They either hit or miss.
Maybe Dragon Rush breaks after some % (as in, it has %-based armor) but it's only like 1%? Though I don't recall there being anything about that in the frame data... This is definitely weird.

Venusaur Trainer

Smash Rookie
I'm afraid I won't be the one who'll enlighten everyone on the true potential of Charizard. I'm mostly fishing for advices to step up my game.
I definitely ain't no apex-level player, and only recently entered my local scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2koXbTW8z8 - (from 6:10 to 14:50 Vs :4yoshi::4charizard:)

LSF of the tournament (~20 players). I ranked third, and ended up losing twice to the player who eventually won (round robin and LF). Mostly played Lucario but her Yoshi was putting too much pressure on my ground game for my liking. I counterpicked with Zard and we had a Zard ditto afterwards. Lost this one due to a Flare blitz SD (was a Pk trainer player in brawl and I still try to rock smash with side-b sometimes... shame on me), and because I lost my focus (we were both laughing) after she survived the down-air spike.

Feel free to give any sound advice/criticism, I'm looking for improvements.

J0A0B

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0044-2975-0850
I'm afraid I won't be the one who'll enlighten everyone on the true potential of Charizard. I'm mostly fishing for advices to step up my game.
I definitely ain't no apex-level player, and only recently entered my local scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2koXbTW8z8 - (from 6:10 to 14:50 Vs :4yoshi::4charizard:)

LSF of the tournament (~20 players). I ranked third, and ended up losing twice to the player who eventually won (round robin and LF). Mostly played Lucario but her Yoshi was putting too much pressure on my ground game for my liking. I counterpicked with Zard and we had a Zard ditto afterwards. Lost this one due to a Flare blitz SD (was a Pk trainer player in brawl and I still try to rock smash with side-b sometimes... shame on me), and because I lost my focus (we were both laughing) after she survived the down-air spike.

Feel free to give any sound advice/criticism, I'm looking for improvements.
To be honest, both of you seemed mediocre as if it was a casual fight. I do like your timing with executing your forward smashes after evading Yoshi's stomps properly. You seem to execute your timing with a lot of spacing and counters very well. Try not to use flare blitz as a rush-in so much though. Opponents like to distance themselves so they can bait that move and punish is severely. Perhaps you'll do better once you start timing your aerials more for safety.

Despite me saying this seemed like casual matches, I actually like to watch it that way sometimes. When the characters try to put more effort in timing their special moves instead of trying too hard to be fast paced with cheesy combos or pressure setups, it shows more of the unique capabilities each character has. Yeah it's a dumb thought of preference, but I feel Charizard and Yoshi, etc are better expressed through their unique abilities over their priority, throws, attack speed, etc.

Nice start though. Seems you can grow your skill pretty well within good time and effort.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I got some things here that will improve you very much if you can get them fixed:
-There were a lot of times where you would use Nair after getting hit or when landing, but you failed to hit the autocancel window so you suffered a lot of lag. I am guilty of this too so don't worry, but try to get rid of this habit, Nair is only useful if you can autocancel it. If you are in a position where you have to land, try to aim for the autocancel. If you are too low to autocancel you can always use a midair jump to reposition yourself. If you are out of jumps the next best thing is to land with Flamethrower to reset the situation or if you expect them to catch your landing trade with a Rock Smash. This is by far the biggest thing to improve yourself, it will blow your mind.

-You rolled too much. While rolls are much safer in Smash4 than other games, Charizard doesn't have a very good roll so you should limit it into situations where you want to get out safely. Charizard cannot play a crossup game with rolls. Only use rolls to get away. Whenever you roll try to think why you did it.

-Too much Flareblitz. The move is super situational. It can be used against Yoshi at midrange if you read an egg toss, but it's quite risky for little reward. Just keep powershielding the eggs, eventually you will get too close for him to throw eggs.

-Against Yoshi DownB, Uptilt easily beats it, your wings are invincible during the move. It has the best safety/reward ratio. Usmash and UpB are more risky, but go for them when you think you can get a kill.

-You landed so much with Bair. This is almost never a good idea, bair has a ridiculous 40+ frames of lag. That is unacceptable. Replace those Bairs with those Flamethrowers and Rock Smashes. Oh and sometimes it's ok to land without doing anything. Your opponent is waiting for you to act so he can react to it. If you do nothing there is nothing to react to. It's very hard to react to something not happening.

-Use more grab. Charizard has a very good grabgame. His pummel adds a lot of damage before throwing them. Use Fthrow or Bthrow, whichever send the opponent offstage. Then proceed to edgeguard with something. If they go for the ledge feel free to use Flamthrower to rack up damage (no as useful against Yoshi because of jump armor). If they recover high that is the moment to use Bair. This thing can kill at 60% easily offstage if you hit with the tail. If you read them airdodging the bair, just wait it out and upB them as their airdodge ends for a very early kill.

-You didn't use that much Jab or tilts. Charizards jab should be one of your most used moves. It's very fast for it's range, it catches people who try to spotdodge your grabs and it does good damage while launching them in a position that is very advantageous to you. There is also the setup for UpB doing Jab1 -> Jab2 -> Fly. This is easier when you catch the opponent midair. At 100% jab can become a killmove because of this.
Ftilt has a lot of range and is a decent poke. If your opponent is charging towards you you can simply run away and Ftilt out of the dash.

That's all I have to say, if you can implement all of this into your game your Charizard will easily be at least 3 times as good as it is on the video. There aren't even that complex things, just focus on them one at a time.
Post another video later and I'll see how much you have improved.

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
I got some things here that will improve you very much if you can get them fixed:
-There were a lot of times where you would use Nair after getting hit or when landing, but you failed to hit the autocancel window so you suffered a lot of lag. I am guilty of this too so don't worry, but try to get rid of this habit, Nair is only useful if you can autocancel it. If you are in a position where you have to land, try to aim for the autocancel. If you are too low to autocancel you can always use a midair jump to reposition yourself. If you are out of jumps the next best thing is to land with Flamethrower to reset the situation or if you expect them to catch your landing trade with a Rock Smash. This is by far the biggest thing to improve yourself, it will blow your mind.
Sorry, I'm new at this, but how does auto-cancel work on Charizard's Nair?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Sorry, I'm new at this, but how does auto-cancel work on Charizard's Nair?
Notice the animation in Nair. Charizard does a 360 spin. After the spin is done and Charizards feet are towards the ground again you can land without lag even though the move isn't over yet. An easy way to do it is just Nair as soon as possible out of a short hop.

GER-Griever

Smash Rookie
NNID
StarsGriever
These matches are a little bit outdated, but I would still appreciate some feedback.

vs. :4diddy::4rob:
https ://www. youtube .com / watch?v=SarpeOyyagg

vs. :4falcon:
https ://www. youtube .com / watch?v=DSrZPkAjIuI

vs. :4wario::4dk:
https ://www. youtube .com / watch?v=9zVTaaegKDM

vs. :4bowserjr:
https ://www. youtube .com / watch?v=DSCWOE3r74o

vs. :4sheik:
https ://www. youtube .com / watch?v=XWsjlhbCPWo

vs. :4duckhunt: (only the first match)
https ://www. youtube .com / watch?v=w1zRnGp8uMs

vs. :rosalina:
https ://www. youtube .com / watch?v=HTa3TAS_jOM

Every set is offline.
These sets are almost 2 month old, my recently last tournament went better then I expected (17 out of 32 in Bracket/64 if you count pools)
I hope you can help me.
This weekend is another offline SF, I will try to get as many material as possible.

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
Here are four 2 VS. 2 matches I had today. I was only using Charizard in the first two matches, though my teammate EpicSonicLatios used Charizard in every match:

The Dragons VS. The Birds
Me (White Charizard) and EpicSonicLatios (Default Charizard) VS. Kal1978 (Blue Falco) and Lord Tentacruel (Purple Falco)

Double Dragon Domination [The Vanity of Suicide Mix]
Me (White Charizard) and EpicSonicLatios (Default Charizard) VS. Kal1978 (Default Ganondorf) and Lord Tentacruel (White Mr. Game & Watch)

The Falcon and The Dragon Part I [The United Front]
Me (Black Captain Falcon) and EpicSonicLatios (Default Charizard) VS. Kal1978 (Gray King Dedede) and Lord Tentacruel (Black King Dedede)

The Falcon and The Dragon Part II [The Speed Hunting Avenger Mix]
Me (Black Captain Falcon) and EpicSonicLatios (Default Charizard) VS. Kal1978 (Purple Donkey Kong) and Lord Tentacruel (Red Donkey Kong)

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
GroundZero(Charizard)_VS_Rocky(Ganondorf)
GroundZero(Charizard)_VS_S(Robin)
GroundZero(Charizard)_VS_alexrider(Mario)

I really need to start playing on the Anther ladder more so I can upload videos on non-Omega stages.

If you like my Charizard gameplay please check out my other videos and subscribe!
I commented on your Mario video.

Nice Charizard! Mario can be a tough match up for me, but I like how you handled Mario's quick smash attacks. Spot-dodge the f-smash, punish with down smash at 0:38. At 0:20, very nice follow-up after launching Mario with jab combo by using f-air. The d-air spike at 0:41 was glorious, I need to incorporate that more into my own play. Overall, nice use of f-tilt for spacing. I notice he did hit you a few times with dash attack, that catches me off guard too since it's so quick. Back throw for the final stock, nice.

So I need to get better with Charizard, maybe I should play against some people on smashboards? I haven't posted in the 'looking for online matches' thread.

EDIT!

OK, so I don't double post, here are my comments for the following:

Me VS. one of the best Shulks I have ever faced:

I posted comments on youtube. I like how you pressure Shulk with fire breath edge guarding, forcing Shulk into Up Special, resulting in an easy F-smash punish at 1:28. Then again at 2:38! At 2:57, Charizard does a nice string of moves: jab launch follows into N-air follows into jab combo! At 4:15, I love how Charizard goes from a ledge grab into a Flare Blitz, I don't think I've thought of that one before when using Charizard.

Shulk puts his counter to good use, particularly against Flare Blitz! But his Shield art became his undoing on that last stock. Shulk is one of my mains and I know the pain associated with that.

Last edited:

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
I commented on your Mario video.

Nice Charizard! Mario can be a tough match up for me, but I like how you handled Mario's quick smash attacks. Spot-dodge the f-smash, punish with down smash at 0:38. At 0:20, very nice follow-up after launching Mario with jab combo by using f-air. The d-air spike at 0:41 was glorious, I need to incorporate that more into my own play. Overall, nice use of f-tilt for spacing. I notice he did hit you a few times with dash attack, that catches me off guard too since it's so quick. Back throw for the final stock, nice.

So I need to get better with Charizard, maybe I should play against some people on smashboards? I haven't posted in the 'looking for online matches' thread.
http://www.smashladder.com/

Easiest way to fight against good/ similarly skilled smashers. Thanks for the comments too! I've mostly dropped Charizard in favor of Rosalina and Pikachu, mainly because my focus was way too broad and I wanted to tighten my character pool up a lot, I think Charizard is a solid pick as long as you aren't afraid to get juggled a bit. He's heavy so you'll get up there in percentage really fast, but you can use that to your advantage a lot more than most other characters in Smash 4 can.

Last edited:

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Against Rosa I just spam Flamethrower for the free damage on Luma. Pretty sure jab is also big enough to beat most Luma attacks. You really just have to focus Luma first, unique matchup for sure. Your punishes are super strong because Rosa is easy to hit and light, so play patiently and don't get boned by big Luma attacks. Dragon Rush is great vs Luma if you can use it.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Yea, I've had trouble in tournament with the match up as well. Even with dragon rush it's very annoying, especially having to avoid uair juggles that kill surprisingly early on zard.

She's just one of those characters I find the complete opposite of fun to play against. Along with ROB.

Matty89

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hydra89
Postings of videos to help show how to play the only remaining character from Brawl's Pokemon Trainer.

Speaking of Pokemon Trainer, Sakarai said that no tethering would translate over to the new Smash, yet in this video here, at the 2:39/2:40 mark Zero Suit Samus uses a tether to get back to the stage. If this happened, they why was Ivysaur cut? Ivy would have been a better character than Dr. Mario (judging by what was seen for the gameplay of Dr. Mario who plays almost like a Mario clone from Brawl).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3okJlHq_ZHI

Here are some other 3DS Charizard videos.

Charizard vs. Ganondorf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpJ2ggM5K_I

Charizard vs. Mario
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oky2fA3lpQs

Charizard moves (no "airs" moves shown though)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0gfhp-7_Uc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvXgmVFSs9A

shoff

Smash Cadet
Been playing with Charizard for about a week and I really like him. I play all of the heavies and I am trying to find the most tournament viable one. Aside from fighting R.O.B....which felt freaking unwinnable, I have done pretty well against most of the cast. Check out my videos please and let me know where I can improve. Two ForGlory matches on the Wii u where my opponents were pretty decent. I love flareblitz... dont suggest I stop using it so often lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBQYfoAEZ4M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6wWz4Wdcdk

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
@ shoff shoff , yeah rob is hard to work around. I find that using Charizard's multijumps to sort of juke out his projectiles and then getting in with Flamethrower is the best I can do. R.O.B. should have a decently difficult time killing you though, and once you've got rage any solid hit or a Dthrow by the ledge will kill him. Just watch out for grabs at higher percents. Up Throw will kill you at around 140~ assuming R.O.B. has rage.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I'm getting a recording setup today. Finally I will be able to upload my own videos and perhaps even begin to stream.
Now all I need to do is to play this game more than once every few weeks. Hopefully we'll get more new material.

shoff

Smash Cadet
@ shoff shoff , yeah rob is hard to work around. I find that using Charizard's multijumps to sort of juke out his projectiles and then getting in with Flamethrower is the best I can do. R.O.B. should have a decently difficult time killing you though, and once you've got rage any solid hit or a Dthrow by the ledge will kill him. Just watch out for grabs at higher percents. Up Throw will kill you at around 140~ assuming R.O.B. has rage.
Yea, I lost three times in a row, which usually doesnt happen. That gyro is so powerful. I cant shield it because he can just throw another out, or laser. spot dodging is risky as he can adjust the timing of his throws, his neutral air seems to beat mine clean, better air movement, and I cant seem to chase him down. Ridiculous. Nothing even special about his play. I did manage to rack up damage using flamethrower but that was it really. Flare blitz is stopped by the gyro as well, so its hard to get in. Just... feels like Bison vs Guile all over again.... ugh haha Thanks for the advice though.

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
Just a heads up, saved replays will most likely stop working after the update so upload them while you can.

Daybreak

Busy busy busy~
NNID
DaybreakPlz
3DS FC
1091-8175-8810
Switch FC
SW-6555-9639-6872
Here's a 0% match between a random Lil' Mac and I. Mostly a test video since I'm just getting my channel off the ground.

There's a nice lil bit at the end.

Last edited:
Top Bottom