• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard Videos Thread

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
Japanese Charizard at Umebura 23. He did well, but this is unfortunately the only match of his that was streamed. Definitely look out for this guy in the future.
Asczteca:4charizard: vs Daiki:4mewtwo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj61CPw40cM
I need to find some more of this guy. I know a good bit of Japanese due to my military history obsession (i'm learning Japanese so that I can translate more primary sources from WWII), and I might be able to contact him.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Unfortunately, as far as I know, this is the only video of him. Hopefully he'll get on stream more. Zard is hopelessly under-repped.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Any idea how this happened? I know Dtilt has a windbox, but it's not like Sing reflects or anything...
I'm guessing that Dtilt actually has a thing that stops him from moving, but him being asleep makes him lose it?

TrainerCharred

Smash Rookie
Any idea how this happened? I know Dtilt has a windbox, but it's not like Sing reflects or anything...
I'm guessing that Dtilt actually has a thing that stops him from moving, but him being asleep makes him lose it?
This is my guess; Charizard has a point in his d-tilt in which he thrusts his head and body forward, which also thrusts his hurtbox forward. Perhaps, as you guessed, Charizard was put to sleep at the exact right moment in which Charizard thrust himself forward and was put to sleep before the next few frames which would have halted him, and the momentum was carried over. The dog lifting you up was probably important because Charizard was not in range of Sing until the exact moment he thrust his hurtbox forward placing him underneath and in range of the sing. That's just my guess anyway.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
https://www.twitch.tv/dkwill/v/72052278
DKwill had a nice, long session with a Charizard from the Dominican Republic named Sharpy. I linked the vod, give it a watch if you're interested. I'm in the midst of it now, he seems pretty good! This is a good few hours of raw DK vs Charizard footage. So, if you're looking for some of that by chance, there you go.

RJSBB

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2423-5489-3330
https://www.twitch.tv/dkwill/v/72052278
DKwill had a nice, long session with a Charizard from the Dominican Republic named Sharpy. I linked the vod, give it a watch if you're interested. I'm in the midst of it now, he seems pretty good! This is a good few hours of raw DK vs Charizard footage. So, if you're looking for some of that by chance, there you go.
He mains the purple color! :D

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
Japanese Charizard at Umebura 23. He did well, but this is unfortunately the only match of his that was streamed. Definitely look out for this guy in the future.
Asczteca:4charizard: vs Daiki:4mewtwo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj61CPw40cM
Very nice indeed. I'm still learning to play Charizard, and some cool things I saw were at 5:29, jab 1 - jab 2 - up-smash. Or jab mix-up at 8:27, jab 1 -jab 2 - grab.

Overall Asczteca has excellent spacing with aerials, especially the n-airs and b-airs, making them safer on shield.

Last edited:

Nicktendonick

Smash Rookie
Hello all. Fourm newcomer here and I'd like your opinion on my handiwork (or well, lack of handiwork). I have quite a bit of trouble in For Glory. Many times I notice me well, getting my ass kicked, as you'll see in the video below.

What am I doing wrong? I kinda feel like I can't dodge enemy attacks and I'm always a second too late in reacting and attacking. I think there was a little bit of lag that made this a little worse specifically in this video, but I'm not sure if that's me Johning a bit or if it really was true. (I think it improved by the time of the third fight, or I adjusted properly to it)

(also, what the heck happened at 5:36 with that pikachu grabbing me in the middle of my down-B?)

(The video was recording using Cell9's NTR program, just to say.)

At the very least, I hope it gives you a laugh.

Last edited:

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Hello all. Fourm newcomer here and I'd like your opinion on my handiwork (or well, lack of handiwork). I have quite a bit of trouble in For Glory. Many times I notice me well, getting my *** kicked, as you'll see in the video below.

What am I doing wrong? I kinda feel like I can't dodge enemy attacks and I'm always a second too late in reacting and attacking. I think there was a little bit of lag that made this a little worse specifically in this video, but I'm not sure if that's me Johning a bit or if it really was true. (I think it improved by the time of the third fight, or I adjusted properly to it)

(also, what the heck happened at 5:55 with that pikachu grabbing me in the middle of my down-B?)

(The video was recording using Cell9's NTR program, just to say.)

At the very least, I hope it gives you a laugh.
First of all, lag is a factor and can make it harder to play; it can be a real excuse in some cases and that's why people don't recommend For Glory if you have any alternative (e.g. Smashladder). Second, I think you have a problem with fundamentals rather than Charizard. You should search up stuff about the Neutral, but to put it basically, you keep leaving yourself open. Charizard is still pretty slow compared to most characters, and whenever you down smash, you're left wide open. You should also practice autocancelling your Fairs (I'll try to get more in detail about that when I can) so that you aren't left awkwardly in the air, and I recommend using Nairs and Dtilts more instead of Side B and smash attacks. You shouldn't do attacks like those unless you're absolutely sure they'll hit.
Also I can't find the clip you're talking about with Down B, but yes, you can be grabbed during Rock Smash.

Nicktendonick

Smash Rookie
Thanks!

Landing is a big problem of mine. I seem to have trouble finding ways to safely land and I feel like I'm trapped no matter what I'm going to be hit as I land in some manner or way every time and I kinda feel that way with plenty of moves (I think I might have an shielding issue) where I block and their regular attack comes out faster then my quick one. Like you said, this isn't a Charizard issue, it's more of a me issue.

(well, sans that down-smash. While Charizard's does come out quick the ending lag is too high, it's kinda a force of habit I learned from using other characters like Dedede, Mario and Cloud to spam down-smash for a quick counterhit.)

Double checking, the rock smash vs grab moment happens five minutes thirty seconds into the video, 5:36 is when the grab happens. I use it in air reading his run-grab and from what it looks like Pikachu is grabbing me as the attack is actually happening where he should have been hurt by the scattering rocks.

( I've never heard of SmashLadder. Gonna have to look that up.)

Last edited:

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
Thanks!

Landing is a big problem of mine. I seem to have trouble finding ways to safely land and I feel like I'm trapped no matter what I'm going to be hit as I land in some manner or way every time and I kinda feel that way with plenty of moves (I think I might have an shielding issue) where I block and their regular attack comes out faster then my quick one. Like you said, this isn't a Charizard issue, it's more of a me issue.

(well, sans that down-smash. While Charizard's does come out quick the ending lag is too high, it's kinda a force of habit I learned from using other characters like Dedede, Mario and Cloud to spam down-smash for a quick counterhit.)

Double checking, the rock smash vs grab moment happens five minutes thirty seconds into the video, 5:36 is when the grab happens. I use it in air reading his run-grab and from what it looks like Pikachu is grabbing me as the attack is actually happening where he should have been hurt by the scattering rocks.

( I've never heard of SmashLadder. Gonna have to look that up.)
Here's my advice:

-Use jab a lot more often than any other attack(including grab). Think about this, Fsmash does 13%, jab does 12%, why even use a smash attack unless they're in kill percent, when you can use a move with significantly less lag and startup?
-Don't smash attack unless they're at kill percent, unless you get the in the air, then I'd recommend always trying to chase then down and USmash their landing.
-The only time to use flare blitz is when an opponent is landing in free fall or without a second jump.
-Do not land on opponents. Get on the ground at a safe distance, and then go from there. If you're offstage, recover to the ledge instead of jumping on stage.
-Practice autocanceling nair and fair. In other words, practice inputting fair and nair immediately after short hopping. Or inputting fair and nair while rising(as opposed to falling) during a full hop.

Last edited:

Nicktendonick

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the suggestions. A bit time-crunched today, but here's a another video of me yesterday, playing local with a IRL friend. Hope the framerate/quality isn't too bad. Throwing it up and running back to my activities.

He was also annoyed that D-throw to Fair wasn't working when he was playing blue charizard while I could. What was going on? Does it require precise timing? Is it not True?

(Also, we probably screwed up on our controls a little bit, both of us really really miss using gamecube controllers. (I really need a WiiU...)

PS: We (at least I) broke out laughing at about 3:27. "Worth it", he told me.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352

Only recent set of mine that got recorded, I got a friendlies one as well but dunno if I will upload that one.

Mostly looking for tech errors and in general bad habits I got.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Only recent set of mine that got recorded, I got a friendlies one as well but dunno if I will upload that one.

Mostly looking for tech errors and in general bad habits I got.
Honestly, I feel you should use Flamethrower more in neutral. It's an amazing tool, especially against characters like Sheik that need to be in your face. Don't be afraid to use it. It's much safer than you think. Just don't become predictable with it.

I also feel that you panic when trying to get back on the ground. I'd try to keep that under control.

Try to use Up Smash less. I know its a great move but Up Tilt is a little faster and is better for sharking.

All that said, good job on your rock smashes. Those were expertly timed.

tmonty17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-0649-1581
Hey guys check out my Charizard montage. It's my 2nd video so all feedback is welcome. Thanks!

Pokepal148

Smash Rookie
Right, i've decided that at this point I'd better just try to do some of the replays I have from For Glory matches and see what I can get from it. I feel like I'm finally starting to get how this works but at the same time I know I'm missing a lot here.

And here are some matches from last week, though keep in mind I was testing a different control scheme at the time. (It was also around this time that I realized what a beautiful thing Charizard's B-air is.)

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Hey guys check out my Charizard montage. It's my 2nd video so all feedback is welcome. Thanks!
Hmm, some aspects of your play feel messy, kind of like sometimes when I play. Like you throw out moves but you don't seem to think why you did but did it on instinct. Just something I noticed.

Music didn't...get me hyped for it overall as much as the editting which I did like at points.

Right, i've decided that at this point I'd better just try to do some of the replays I have from For Glory matches and see what I can get from it. I feel like I'm finally starting to get how this works but at the same time I know I'm missing a lot here.

And here are some matches from last week, though keep in mind I was testing a different control scheme at the time. (It was also around this time that I realized what a beautiful thing Charizard's B-air is.)

Right away I can see you use roll way way way too much. You use it as a crutch for movement rather than a tool. Rolling is fine just not when used excessively. You used it to that extent.

You are also charging smash attacks hoping they will hit without thinking what your opponent will do, they and think if what move you are throwing out is a good idea or not. Sometimes you are using it when your opponent is large distances away, try to do this less.

~

Also I got another video of me trying to get more critique,

edit: Whoops.

Last edited:

TrainerCharred

Smash Rookie
Well I derped hard,

This is the right one now.
Abuse Charizard's jab way more often. Probably the best tool in his arsenal and it will stuff people's approaches. You were getting run down hard by that MetaKnight.

Try not to always land with an aerial. I see so many Charizard players thinking that they absolutely need to land with an aerial, or perhaps they see no harm to it as N-Air autocancels so easily. But the fact of the matter is N-air's hitbox just isn't all that great. Charizard's N-Air easily gets stuffed by Metaknights Up-Air as well as any other attacks with disjointed hitboxes and his F-Air isn't safe on shield. Instead try to mix up your landing options, which is unfortunately one of Charizard's weaknesses as he doesn't have many. Use your multiple aerial jumps to make it harder for your opponent to guess where you're going and remember you don't always need to throw out a move. Empty landings work just as often as others if you continually mix it up.

Likewise you were letting your opponent land way too easily. There were too many times where your opponent landed for free because you threw out an Up-Air or Up-Smash too early. Be patient and wait to see where your opponents going. Charizard is best played as a bait-and-punish character in my opinion, so try to limit your opponents options simply by getting in his face and waiting for them to act. Charizard has immense presence with almost all his aerials being able to kill so you can pressure them simply by getting up close and waiting, then punish accordingly when you see what option they're going for.

Last thing, I think you use Up-Smash too much in neutral. It's a great move with semi-intangibility and a great hitbox but the end-lag is more than it may seem and you were getting punished a lot for it. Try to use it sparsely as anti-airs or when your opponent is on a platform above you. I also like to use it sometimes as a "get-off-me" move if there's a scuffle and me and my opponent end up right next to each other.

I hope this wasn't too much of a read. Keep practicing and I hope this helps you!

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Everyone else is doing it.

I've included two matches.

I'd like some criticism and tips, if you got them.

TrainerCharred

Smash Rookie
Everyone else is doing it.

I've included two matches.

I'd like some criticism and tips, if you got them.
Spacing appears to be your biggest issue right now. Knowing when to approach, when to back off, when to go for big punishes or small punishes, is something you'll get better at with experience and time. You seemed to like to go for big punishes more often than you should. A simple jab punish will put you at an advantageous position allowing for more options for followups and strings.

I would avoid using rock smash so frequently as a landing option. It will work fine against scrubby For Glory players, but it's actually a terribly unsafe move, unsafe on shield even unless the RNG gods grant you a shield stab. It allows for your opponent to get a big punish if they read it. That isn't to say you should disband using it altogether, just not as often. Rock Smash is just another way to mix up your landings.

You can react to your opponents DI from down throw every time. Up-Air if the opponent DIs up and F-Air if they DI away. I've personally strayed away from using N-Air as a followup to downthrow as it's unsafe on hit at very low percentages, though I didn't really see you going for that, just thought I should let you know.

Work on getting N-Air to autocancel, both from shorthop and while you're landing. Shorthop N-Air is a vital tool to getting better at Charizard as it's one of his most solid approach AND retreat options. Landing with N-Air is is good to throw out a hitbox every so often while you're landing so learn the height needed to autocancel N-Air as you're fast falling.

Last thing, Charizard's flare blitz has percent based armor so any attack dealing 15% or more will break it. So it's definitely ill-advised to throw out a flare blitz full screen against a Samus who has her Charge shot at the ready.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Spacing appears to be your biggest issue right now. Knowing when to approach, when to back off, when to go for big punishes or small punishes, is something you'll get better at with experience and time. You seemed to like to go for big punishes more often than you should. A simple jab punish will put you at an advantageous position allowing for more options for followups and strings.
If its not too much trouble, could you go into more detail here?

Work on getting N-Air to autocancel, both from shorthop and while you're landing. Shorthop N-Air is a vital tool to getting better at Charizard as it's one of his most solid approach AND retreat options. Landing with N-Air is is good to throw out a hitbox every so often while you're landing so learn the height needed to autocancel N-Air as you're fast falling.
About this...

Any tips on how to time it correctly every time? I'm always inconsistent even when I practice.
I would avoid using rock smash so frequently as a landing option. It will work fine against scrubby For Glory players, but it's actually a terribly unsafe move, unsafe on shield even unless the RNG gods grant you a shield stab. It allows for your opponent to get a big punish if they read it. That isn't to say you should disband using it altogether, just not as often. Rock Smash is just another way to mix up your landings.
Last thing, Charizard's flare blitz has percent based armor so any attack dealing 15% or more will break it. So it's definitely ill-advised to throw out a flare blitz full screen against a Samus who has her Charge shot at the ready.
And to make excuses for myself be fair, I hadn't played Smash in a long time so I was pretty scrubby. I think the Rock Smash and Flare Blitz errors will go away as I blow away the dust, so to speak.

Basically, I know better and I've played better.

I just did it anyway.

Those are the worst mistakes....

TrainerCharred

Smash Rookie
If its not too much trouble, could you go into more detail here?

About this...

Any tips on how to time it correctly every time? I'm always inconsistent even when I practice.

And to make excuses for myself be fair, I hadn't played Smash in a long time so I was pretty scrubby. I think the Rock Smash and Flare Blitz errors will go away as I blow away the dust, so to speak.

Basically, I know better and I've played better.

I just did it anyway.

Those are the worst mistakes....
No problem at all. And yeah, I was just pointing out the mistakes that were apparent in the videos, it is pretty common knowledge that rock smash and flareblitz aren't the best options but I didn't know if you were a beginner player or not.

So, spacing does refer to a lot so I'll try to explain as best I can the areas you seem to be struggling in.

Punishing your opponent out of shield is one thing I noticed. This has to do with the spacing between you and your opponent when he lands a hit on your shield, as well as frame data and matchup knowledge. Take a look right at the beginning of your first video, Ryu lands a forward air on your shield but you slide away. Charizard actually has very low traction unfortunately, meaning he slides more than some other characters when he gets hit, putting him farther away from his opponents making it harder to punish. (Just another thing that makes Charizard low tier *sobs*). When you slide away from the hit you were pushed out of grab range. However a jab out of shield here would have connected while stuffing Ryu's heavy jab. Another example is at 1:06 in the Samus vid where you tried to punish with fly but wound up doing it the wrong way. Always keep an eye on where your opponent ends up relative to you. It may seem small but improving on this can really improve your overall charizard play.

Another thing with spacing is spacing your aerials properly. I think you need to pull the trigger just a bit sooner on you Forward Airs as you were getting stuffed in air to air encounters. F-Air has deceptively good range. Just look at how far away it hits in your first combo on the Samus. Side note, it's definitely worth learning how to RAR Back Air with charizard. One of his best killing options with amazingly good reach, one of the best B-Airs in the game in my opinion. It definitely could have beat out that Ryu's Side-B recovery (F-Air could too but that's a bit more precise).

This may be the rust of which you spoke of but you seemed to throw out a bunch of random looking, or early smash attacks. Simply keep in mind that smashes are conserved for hard reads or to push an advantage, not to be used in neutral. You probably already knew that though.

Last thing I have for you on spacing is you seemed to have a habit to roll away pretty often. Keep in mind that Charizard has the 9th fastest running speed in the game so simply running away is usually a better option than rolling away as there's no end lag you're stuck in and you have a plethora of options you can do out of a run.

I could go on forever about spacing in neutral but really it's just something you have to practice and get better at with time.

Getting the shorthop autocancel N-Air is fairly simple. All you have to do is press the A-button almost immediately after you jump. I like to roll my thumb from the Y-button to the A-button to get the button presses as close as possible. You can also shorthop autocancel F-Air but the timing for that is just a bit more strict. To get the fast fall autocancel N-air is a bit more difficult and inconsistent, but well worth learning. You need to figure out the exact spacing for yourself as there's no real way I can show you but I find the right timing to be at just about the height of Charizard's full jump, maybe a bit higher.

Hope this helps. I'm not trying to sound overly judgemental or anything, just trying to help by pointing out what I can.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure Charizard's Nair autocancels once his tail is back at its original position, i.e. behind him; you can use that as a visual cue

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler

Against a Pr's Mario in my region, trying to figure out what I did wrong going into game 3.
lmfao I am dying over here you killed him at 49% game one

that flare blitz trade was pretty unfortunate game 2, crazy timing on his part

So here is what happened game three: you went back to dreamland and you couldn't get back down. Tri-platform layout stages are insanely good for mario's juggles, they extend uair combos way farther than normal (as you saw) and generally just make it way harder for charizard to avoid that kind of stuff as well. In that position, your best bet is to just take the guaranteed damage and save your jumps until you have an opportunity to use them. You were using a lot of nair to land with, which is a good thing to do, but the Mario was able to either hit you first (nair is pretty slow to cover your bottom) or shield it and continue his damage strings. You felt pressured to counterattack or land on the main platform immediately so you chose a more aggressive option, and he was ready for that. I think you had your jumps available to you, you could have retreated to a platform, landed, and then assessed how aggressive the Mario wanted to be to chase you up there. There is no catch all answer to landing, especially with zard, but sometimes just going for the ledge and resetting from there is also a good way to get away from that situation. Not ideal obviously but something to think about.

I would ban Battlefield/Dreamland against Mario.

One thing I was going to say was that in the first two games you did an excellent job of using usmash, you only missed one or two in those games. Which I know is something I told you about and I can tell you had been working on. But game three, I think you lost your composure and reverted back to that habit in the second stock. Which is okay, it happens to everyone and everyone has something they fall back on when you go on tilt. In your case, if you start feeling yourself going for usmash too much and see yourself whiffing and getting punished from it, there is a good chance that you aren't playing with a clear head and need to reset before it's too late.

Top Bottom