• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard+: The Fire Dragon

The Phantom Smasher

Smash Cadet
It would probably be easiest to coordinate with one of the other character threads that's already doing matchups so that both characters can be represented well in the discussion. I know for sure that Pikachu and Lucas both have matchup discussions going, but there are probably others, too.

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
He should be.

Anyway, I've sort of unofficially third-ed Charizard since vBrawl came out, but I've really only used my main and secondary, Falco and Sonic, in even remotely competitive situations, and I'm looking to increase my repetiore. Since Smash 64, I've always dreamed of a Charizard fighter, and I'm glad B+ has made him not only able to go solo, but usable.

Now my question is this: Falco has a few matchups where...well, while not unbeatable, are just aggravating to fight. Sonic does nothing to help this, so I'm wondering whether I could use Charizard to patch up these holes. I am of course talking about ICs/Kirby/Squirtle, and maybe ROB/Marth as well (though the latter two I could probably use Falco for once I learn match-ups and play smart).

I know it's a bit early to be talking matchups right now, especially with the full game not even out yet, but I would appreciate some input, even if not specific matchup advice, as to how Charizard fairs against these characters and whether it would even be worth it to pursue using Charizard as a CP to those matchups.

If not, I can always just use Marth lol.
Why not use these^ characters for matchup discussion?

Charizard can juggle ROB decently, but he mostly loses his gimp game to ROB's extreme survivability. ROB's mad gimp game is not as effective on Charizard as others just due to multiple jumps and super-armour, but it is still very existent. Zard has his range, but if he tries to play keepaway ROB can just throw stuff at him. I think a campy ROB has an advantage, but it would definitely be pretty close on a smaller stage like Smashville or WW. Probably 55-45 ROB.

I don't really know anything about B+ Ice climbers.

The Kirby matchup is probably also pretty close. Charizard should be able to space him pretty well, but if he can get a combo started you are looking at some serious damage. He is just too big. Also, Kirby is not going to get juggled very well. Early kills are a possibilty for Zard though, somebody should look into some kill percentages. Mostly I think Charizard needs to focus on getting Korby off the stage ASAP and just f-air him. This will prevent Korby from busting out his uber moves, b-air and f-smash. This one is probably 50-50.

I don't have time to post/think about this more right now, but an initial guess for the rest would be 60-40 in favour of Squirtle and 55-45 for Zard against Marth.

GuruKid

Smash Ace
Even with the dthrow damage buff, I still prefer the other throws. I'd rather be able to follow up a less-damaging throw with an aerial and go for the edgeguard/roof rather than just input an easy-to-DI throw with still an unimpressive knockback.

And I still love flamethrower, even with its "nerf".

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
Has anyone considered buffing Dsmash by making the hitbox larger?
That would be a good idea, as of right now Charizard's dsmash is pretty pathetic. I'd either like to see it's startup speed buffed or making the hitbox larger. Charizard's dsmash reminds me of slightly better version of Jigglypuff's dsmash. But I think we should stop discussing buffs.

Kaitou Ace

Smash Apprentice
You realize not all of Charizard's moves have a fire property? Charizard and Squirtle are pretty equal because Squirtle has a lot of air mobility and can get into Zard's range very easily and wreck him. At the same time, Zard can push Squirtle out of his range easily with a jab, ftilt or dtilt which have major knockback. Basically, Zard and Squirtle are both great jugglers and whoever gets into a string of combos first is usually pretty screwed. Zard has great knockback and damage to all his moves and can utilt to uair strings like no tomorrow. Squirtle can do similarly.

Mindgames vs. Range?

Wingflier

Smash Apprentice
I don't really know anything about B+ Ice climbers.
As Charizard, against experienced B+ IC's, it's a really unfair matchup. With your huge size and relatively slow speed, all you have to do is get grabbed once and then can be chain-grabbed (by a good player) up to insane percentages.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
As Charizard, against experienced B+ IC's, it's a really unfair matchup. With your huge size and relatively slow speed, all you have to do is get grabbed once and then can be chain-grabbed (by a good player) up to insane percentages.
At the same time though Charizard can outrange the IC's and Rock Smash does wonders with separating the two. Especially when each is going to be hit with different amounts of shards for different damage; the more separation in their percentages the easier it is to separate them. And once you get Nana offstage, she is easy pickings for Zard's gimp game.

They can definitely put a lot of hurt on Zard, but he has all he needs to take them out too.

Kaitou Ace

Smash Apprentice
This is true. Charizard is definitely not like any other big, heavyweight character. Some of his most useful moves (Flamethrower, Rock Smash, Fair) are disjointed. Considering ICs can't Powershield, this puts them in a very bad position and Charizard has a very easy time separating them. Also, his nair has a very long hitbox and can usually put the hurt on them pretty easily.

However, just like Plum put, once Zard makes a mistake, ICs can easily punish it for a lot of damage. You just need to be careful.

5ive

Smash Champion
My friend who barely plays Brawl+ picked up Charizard today. And might I add that I was not happy about it. He was by far one of the hardest matchups I have had in a long time, and the funny thing is, I use Pikachu. I would think the matchup favored me, but Charizards fair is just too good. I combo'd him pretty well, but Charizard's pressure and edgeguarding just overwhelmed me. Hopefully, videos will be up soon.

Dajayman

If anyone posts any videos I'll put them in the front page. I might be getting some vids soon since I have some replays saved and I'm going to a tournament next Saturday where I plan on playing Brawl+ friendlies on the side.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
zard does well against kirby as long as u di kirby's ridiculous combos.
Had to quote myself for emphasis. Only way charizard will beat kirby is if you space like hell and don't let him get in. Cause once he does it's too easy for kirby to whoop some ***!!

Phillyrider (Charizard) Vs TUSM (Kirby)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7I2X_RHwO8

I get ***** this match especially in the beginning. Only reason i uploaded it was to show that a aggressive charizard is only going to get spanked by kirby(Plus the fact that if i upload vids of only me winning tusm would probably hate me lol)

Phillyrider (Charizard) Vs TUSM (Kirby) 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLrtr7hmeO4

So this match i do a little better. I won but barely.

Phillyrider (Charizard) Vs TUSM (Kirby) 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiyuchZBZqQ

So this match i do ALOT better. Kirby has to approach you. He has no projectile besides up b and if he spams that you can punish him easily. (This is assuming the fact you don't allow him to copy you lol) Also even though TUSM hardly used it kirby can combo into hammer which kills around 90% Watch out for that.Stay grounded. Do not try to beat kirby in the air. Even though i think charizard can fare well against kirby the matchup imo is in his favor. Charizard has the tools to keep him at bay but it's just so easy for kirby to rack up the damage once he does.

The Phazon Assassin

Smash Champion
Dude, I'm always gonna hate you, that's never gonna change. I was watching those vids as you posted them, and my performance kept getting worse and worse, a.k.a. you winning by larger and larger margins. It's OK, though, i don't hate you anymore than I did before, so you're fine.

Approaching Charizard really is a ***** though. Can't get close to the eff-er.

Kaitou Ace

Smash Apprentice
Charizard should not be approaching with fair at all, in any way. Nair was a sexy move in vBrawl and still is. The hitbox is out basically forever (lol) and is basically a weaker version of ROB's. It punishes rolls, airdodges, spot dodges, EVERYTHING. Rock Smash is decent for approaches and pivot grab mindgames are something all Zards should know. Also, never be afraid to jab.

Zard is a great heavy character because some of his best moves are very disjointed. Nobody will dare approach a Rock Smash, unless they're dumb. Flamethrower should be saved for edgeguarding, it's not worth it on stage. Utilt is sexy and the hitbox is huge, use it. Uair, uair, uair <3

Also, people who play Zard need to start incorporating Fsmash into their game. It is a beastly killer and with hitstun, Zard has a much easier time landing it than he did in vBrawl. In fact, the shards from Rock Smash should give sufficient hitstun to allow Zard to hitstun. Ya'll should try it.

Dajayman

I actually use pivot fsmash to get alot of kills. It kills very early.

I like nair oos, but I'll try using it more for approaching. My only problem with it is that it has too low knockback at low percents if not sweetspotted, people have countered my nair like this. This isn't too much of a problem though since Charizard excels at racking damage, just avoid using nair at low percents.

GuruKid

Smash Ace
Charizard should not be approaching with fair at all, in any way.
... that's a joke, right?

Nair was a sexy move in vBrawl and still is. The hitbox is out basically forever (lol) and is basically a weaker version of ROB's. It punishes rolls, airdodges, spot dodges, EVERYTHING. Rock Smash is decent for approaches and pivot grab mindgames are something all Zards should know. Also, never be afraid to jab.
Nair is good, but not that great either. Only the tail, tail flame and the bottom part of his belly (yeah... I said "belly") are hitboxes, so it's not a staple, reliable move. I don't see how it can punish rolls or spot dodges, unless your opponent does so in a stupid, haphazard fashion.

And uhh... Rock Smash is definitely one Charizard's top approaches if not the best. The priority, reach, and multiple hitboxes on this baby make it simply too awesome of a move.

Flamethrower should be saved for edgeguarding, it's not worth it on stage.
Granted, Flamethrower is best when used as an edgeguarder, but it also has great use onstage. Mix it up with short hops, full hops, and b-reversals, and you're sure to find this move as a very good damage racker.

Also, people who play Zard need to start incorporating Fsmash into their game. It is a beastly killer and with hitstun, Zard has a much easier time landing it than he did in vBrawl. In fact, the shards from Rock Smash should give sufficient hitstun to allow Zard to hitstun. Ya'll should try it.
Sadly, Fsmash is just one of those moves you can just randomly throw in to mix it up on your opponent and maybe throw 'em off... And unless your opponent has ****** DI or the reflexes of a two-year old, you won't be landing this move off of Rock Smash.

Kaitou Ace

Smash Apprentice
I don't see how Fair is such a great, tactical approach. Unless your aim is purely to gimp the whole match, you're gonna need to follow up with something, which fair doesn't really let you do, too much.

Revven

FrankerZ
Well.... it's a new Fair Kaitou. The whole move acts as the sweetspot once did (except toned down). It's a pretty good approach right now, but, definitely not one I use over Dair or grabbing and Fthrowing or Uthrowing.

Kaitou Ace

Smash Apprentice
What was the reasoning behind Dthrow's damage increase? I've been using it since the new buff and it's still doesn't have much killing power. Is that going to be fixed in any way once you guys figure out how to alter throws?

Dajayman

Dthrow ***** both Ivysaur and people who don't DI it due matchup inexperience (not that many Charizards out there), otherwise it'll take 150% to kill lightweights.

Most of the people I have played with my Rawrizard feel his fair is overpowered, do you guys agree?

Edit: I played alot of B+ this weekend and I was experimenting with my Rawrizard's playstyle abit and found that nair is like Lucario's nair in that it autocancels on landing but has alot of lag in the air if you don't land. So be cautious when using this high in the air and offstage. A caution I feel is necessary people need to know.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Dthrow ***** both Ivysaur and people who don't DI it due matchup inexperience (not that many Charizards out there), otherwise it'll take 150% to kill lightweights.

Most of the people I have played with my Rawrizard feel his fair is overpowered, do you guys agree?
no. Considering how suspect zard is to combos His fair is fine. It's the only way to space himself from chars faster then him.Have u played zard vs fox? I **** near quit the game after that lol.(Then i went to peach and ***** lol)

GuruKid

Smash Ace
Dthrow ***** both Ivysaur...
10% knockback increase is not much, especially to warrant Charizard's still-least-effective throw "****" status against Ivy. You're better off doing a side throw to fair (this applies to most matchups, actually).

and people who don't DI it due matchup inexperience (not that many Charizards out there)...
Good players need to see the move only once to have a solid grasp of dthrow's easy timing and trajectory.

otherwise it'll take 150% to kill lightweights.
Which is why dthrow is still Charizard's worst throw.

And no, fair isn't overpowered. Charizard just an exceptional edgegaurder now; this is offset by his susceptibility to being combo'd. And as Phillyrider stated, the move is absolutely essential to keep the faster characters at bay.

Oh, and Phillyrider: good stuff, I'll check out those vids now. Though to be honest, I'm a bit "meh" when it comes to using videos as a basis for critique. We definitely MUST play whenever there's another big tri-state tournament or smashfest! :)

Dajayman

I suppose the Ivysaur I played just DI'd the throw wrong since it killed him at around 150% near the middle of the stage. It is unfortunately true that dthrow is useless, the opponent will learn to DI up to survive it. It is just always better option to fthrow them because it sends them at a lower trajectory so you can go for either an fair combo at low percents or a fair gimp off stage.

Other than fair johns, everyone thought my Rawrizard was good. I'm glad that more people have more respect for Charizard now.

I'd like to continue discussing matchups and also begin stage discussion. Which stages do you think he does best in and how do you guys think he does on common stages/neutrals?

Roxas215

Smash Lord
i'm gonna have to disagree there, although it can't kill, with the damage increase and the fact that it throws people off stage and set them up for a spike makes me think it's one of his best.
No dthrow is def his worst. Both b and f throw can be followed up with a fair and uthrow at low percent can lead to about 2-3 uairs. There are no follow ups out of dthrow and i cant think of any situation as to where u would use dthrow over fthrow. I mean it can lead to a spike if angled right but zard has way better spike setups then dthrow. I have a vid ill upload tonight where i did this sick combo ending in a spike.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
Like you said, fair is not OP, seeing as it's one of the only moves with noticeable landing lag with the ALR on.

Fair is most of a beast when offstage, where you go in front of Charizard and you die.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
No dthrow is def his worst. Both b and f throw can be followed up with a fair and uthrow at low percent can lead to about 2-3 uairs. There are no follow ups out of dthrow and i cant think of any situation as to where u would use dthrow over fthrow. I mean it can lead to a spike if angled right but zard has way better spike setups then dthrow. I have a vid ill upload tonight where i did this sick combo ending in a spike.
I think he means for towards higher percents.
There is a certain point where throws stop leading into anything, and at that point it is just best to go for the most damaging throw or whichever provides the best positioning.

Clocking in at 11% it is his most damaging throw (tied with Uthrow iirc) so it's not like it's useless.
However when going for pure damage (as in they are already too high % to give any followup with any other throw) Uthrow is still probably going to be a more useful move. It sends them straight up into the air, and even if he can't get a guaranteed followup, their position is still great. Plenty of characters won't want to be in the air especially with a powerhouse like Charizard threatening them. A lot of characters will only be able to airdodge and hope to make it to the ground safely; predict the airdodge and punish.

Dthrow does have the advantage of getting them offstage, but Bthrow and Dthrow both do that and put them in a much better position for Charizard's offstage game. Yeah, Dthrow will do more damage but if you are trying to get them offstage I would assume you are going for an edgegaurd or gimp, in which case a better position is the smarter choice. Not to mention that being at a higher percent wouldn't matter when going for a gimp.

The only reason I go with Dthrow is because of how absolutely cool the throw animation itself is, but I wouldn't recommend that outside of friendlies :p

GuruKid

Smash Ace
i'm gonna have to disagree there, although it can't kill, with the damage increase and the fact that it throws people off stage and set them up for a spike makes me think it's one of his best.
Granted, the throw itself is the most damaging, but the throw just doesn't allow for follow-ups. And uhhh, in no scenario should dthrow ever lead to a spike; the move naturally sends the opponent at an upward angle (50 degrees-ish), so being able to spike right after a dthrow would be very poor DI on your opponent's account.

I'll put it like this: why go for just 11% with dthrow when you can:

a) bthrow then
- fair
- usmash
- flamethrower
- grab again

b) fthrow then
- fair
- usmash
- flamethrower
- grab again

c) uthrow then
- uair about 3 times, utilt/usmash, uair 2 more times, and maybe add an upB
- uair about 3 times, bair/fair them off stage

And even at high percents, I'd say fthrow is still superior to dthrow simply because of launch angle. With fthrow, the opponent is thrown offstage closer to stage level, which is right where Charizard wants the opponent to be.

Don't get me wrong, dthrow is alright. I sometimes use the move anyway just for mix-ups (and as Plum said, the animation just looks badass :)). But his other throws are just far better overall.

Dajayman

I entered a Brawl+ tournament this weekend and I did pretty well with Jigglypuff/Charizard. I did very well with my Rawrizard, I should've just gone pure Charizard the whole time because I was ****** in friendlies, I even beat Anther's Lucario with my Rawrizard in friendlies.

I wanted to start stage discussion earlier but no one seemed to pay attention to that. The best neutral for Charizard I think is Battlefield. Taking advantage of the platforms and Charizard's excellent juggling ability will make your opponent not be able to land on the ground for a long time. The fact that you can utilt/usmash/uair someone on a platform means that once they land on a platform (which many of Charizard's moves can pop them up in the air) you can camp below the platforms and keep juggling them until they manage to somehow land.

I unfortunately tried doing my Battlefield strategy too late during friendlies AFTER I got defeated in the tournament (by Anther's beast Pikachu, which I now believe Pikachu is god tier in Brawl+). During the tournament I was relying only on Charizard's excellent grab and gimp game + rock smash and flamethrower to rackup damage. Now I realize that I need to stop relying only on his grab and gimp game and start doing his excellent juggling game more.

Big Edit!:

I pretty much finished the guide, I filled in the last sections finally right now. Anyone who wishes for something to be added in can reply here or pm me.

As stated earlier, I'd like matchups and stage discussion to go on here too. Then I will eventually add those into the guide as well.

Dajayman

I told Xyless, who took care of the tournament, to put it up in the tournament thread.

Anther tried out Brawl+ on Sunday, and he quickly caught on to it and ***** with Pikachu.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
I would love if anther played brawl+ Looking at 5ive's pika can u imagine what anther's would look like?? OMG.. I already thought pika was top 10 after seeing 5ive's pika. I already know anther is going to take it to another level. Any vids?

But yea people are so caught up on zards gimp game(which is amazing) That they forget he has a nice juggle game as well. Mix the two up along with some well places rocksmashes and zard is hard to beat!!!

Still anther playing b+ is the best news in this thread!

Dajayman

Anther said he really liked Brawl+, he said he may even like it more than Brawl. His Pikachu is deadly, if you don't DI right you are gonna die to his Pikachu very early.

I easily believe Pikachu is god tier in Brawl+, definitely at least top 3.

Top Bottom