• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard+: The Fire Dragon

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Brawl+ just won one internetz for getting Anther's support.

Maybe he can convince more stubborn Michigan Smashers to give it a try :V

Pika is amazing, but I think Zard can certainly handle himself fine in that situation. Or at least fine enough to not have serious issues; dealing with Pika spam is annoying but very much manageable and Zard has his range and gimp game to overpower Pika. Though one mistake with Rawrizard is always going to be very costly, especially against quick effective combo'ers like Pika :\

Roxas215

Smash Lord
I think zard(as well as peach) Can handle quick attack spam more easily then other chars. But pika cn combo to hell and back on zard. If u can read it you can land a nice rocksmash.

Also i dont think pika is top 3. We still got Squirtle,Fox,Marth,kirby and Mk to look at. But top 10 hell yea. Maybe even arguably top 5. I think anther and 5ive are just amazing pika players.

5ive

Smash Champion
Thanks Philly, but WHAT, ANTHER PLAYS BRAWL+?
PIKA POWER.

Heey, don't underestimate the other Pika's. We can take Pika on another level too :(.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
postin in ur thread
lolwut-in at Anther playing Plus.

lmao please get the tourney thread + vids.

for the love of god I must see this.

Also, I've been knowing that pikachu ***** since 3.3 lmao. I hate uair so much.

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
I don't think we saved tourney videos which I now realize we should've, but we saved some wacky moments in friendlies like my Ness spiking somebody out of Captain Falcon's upb. Does a Brawl+ tournament result thread exist? I couldn't find one.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
I don't think we saved tourney videos which I now realize we should've, but we saved some wacky moments in friendlies like my Ness spiking somebody out of Captain Falcon's upb. Does a Brawl+ tournament result thread exist? I couldn't find one.
Arrg. Lol unlimited replays were created for a reason. USE THEM! LOL

Every match with a player named anther deserves the press of the Z button afterwards.

g0nz02

Smash Apprentice
I was at the same B+ tournament with Anther, and I would have to agree with Dajayman- though he convinced me he'd be god tier in Melee if he uair did more than 3%, so maybe he's just too good with that **** mouse.

Anyway, I've started really liking dtilt as an approach, as well as bthrow -> bthrow -> uthrow -> usmash -> uair juggles on a lot of characters at low percents. Thoughts?

Dajayman

I doubt that "combo" works on a lot of characters, it would be hard to pull off even on heavies and fast fallers.

Bowyer played Squirtle and Fox, he did pretty well but I believe he faced Anther and a Brawl+ vet like myself, and since it was his first time playing didn't do too well.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I doubt that "combo" works on a lot of characters, it would be hard to pull off even on heavies and fast fallers.

Bowyer played Squirtle and Fox, he did pretty well but I believe he faced Anther and a Brawl+ vet like myself, and since it was his first time playing didn't do too well.
Still though... What did he think of Brawl+?

Dajayman

Hmm, I'm not too sure. I believe he enjoyed it though, I wasn't really paying attention to Bowyer since I didn't even face Bowyer at all. I played Anther in both tournament and friendlies.

eisley

Smash Cadet
This is Bowyer...

It was fun to play for a little bit but I wanted out of the tourney near the end and started sandbagging.
Uhhhmmm...you could have forfeited if it was really making you want out. lol If you didn't wanna play anymore, why torture yourself with more play with sandbagging which leads to no fun at all? :lick:

Dajayman

...I have a good Charizard. My Rawrizard has a notorious reputation in Chicago.

I need to save more replays, for some reason my friends and I only save a replay if it is really worthy of saving. Probably the only replay of my Rawrizard in action is a match in the wifi waiting room where my Rawrizard protected the sandbag the entire match (why did they put the sandbag back in the nightly build?) from my friend's Mario, it is very funny.

kyubikirby

Smash Apprentice
While I don't exactly play zard, the person I play the most mains him, and gives me a lot of trouble with him.

I'll see if I can get some match replays when I do get to play him again to post on here.

D

Deleted member

So.............. /revive

Does anyone have tips against fox? Iz so hard...
Charizard thread lives?

You should be able to juggle fox with Usmash, utilt, uair since he is a fast faller and has low horizontal movement. Also Uthrow to those. Also use dsmash as GFTO then Rock Smash, its so awesome.

Also you gotta post what you have trouble with the most. Saying that fox is a difficult match up for you is vague.

Sulfur

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, it is... but I guess I just have trouble getting a hold of him. I usually can't get my utilt out by the time that his dair is hitting me, or he'll dash dance right in front of my rock smash and punish. Idk it might just be my failing defense, but I have trouble getting the stage control advantage.

kyubikirby

Smash Apprentice
As a person who has played fox against a decent/good zard, I can say that fair and dair are your friends.

Fair has a large disjointed hitbox fox cant fight, leaving him only to camp lasers, or go for a high dair. and Dairs hitbox is huge and can set up for U-smash-U-tilt combos easily. also, Zard has one of the biggest non-tether grabs in the game. Use it and abuse it. Its easy to get grabs with zard with just a little prediction.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, it is... but I guess I just have trouble getting a hold of him. I usually can't get my utilt out by the time that his dair is hitting me, or he'll dash dance right in front of my rock smash and punish. Idk it might just be my failing defense, but I have trouble getting the stage control advantage.
Seems like you need to practice reading strategies, coping with strategies, and mix ups with the rock smash. Instead of a rock smash in the situation- try flamethrower, dsmash, retreating bair, or fair. Be unpredictable.

Don't use utilt to combat fox's dair. You'll both most likely get hit from it or dair will be faster. Fox's dair is an approach thats hard to cope with because it results in a lot of pressure.

Sulfur

Smash Apprentice
Seems like you need to practice reading strategies, coping with strategies, and mix ups with the rock smash. Instead of a rock smash in the situation- try flamethrower, dsmash, retreating bair, or fair. Be unpredictable.

Don't use utilt to combat fox's dair. You'll both most likely get hit from it or dair will be faster. Fox's dair is an approach thats hard to cope with because it results in a lot of pressure.
Eh, yeah I think it's just practice honestly. Why dsmash? dtilt seems a lot more appropriate given its speed and safeness.

D

Deleted member

Eh, yeah I think it's just practice honestly. Why dsmash? dtilt seems a lot more appropriate given its speed and safeness.
Well dsmash sets up for a rock smash 100% of the time when you predict and chase their DI well. Either works. Again, if your opponent is predicting you, then a mix up is gonna be needed, but you're right in dtilt likely being much safer.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
Good vids of a Charizard+ player, please. I play him sometimes myself, but he is nowhere as good as my other characters.

NO IVYSAUR, NOOO SQUIRTLE, CHARIZARD VIDS ONLY!!!

Dajayman

I'll save any replays I have of my Charizard at Illinois next smashfest, which is in less than a month. I've been ignoring him lately for DDD, but I'll stop doing that. XD

Jam23

Smash Rookie
I would like to know why is Charizard D-smash so horrible in 6.0? I mean I rarely use the move but when i did it used to a surprise treat for those always rolling behind me but now its just useless.

Can someone verify a purpose for this?

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
I would like to know why is Charizard D-smash so horrible in 6.0? I mean I rarely use the move but when i did it used to a surprise treat for those always rolling behind me but now its just useless.

Can someone verify a purpose for this?
As far as I've heard, his Dsmash is supposed to have set knock back (?) for combos.

Does anybody else Dair camp as Charizard? It's like Dair camping above the opponent as Dedede, but much less effective, haha. :laugh:

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
As far as I've heard, his Dsmash is supposed to have set knock back (?) for combos.

Does anybody else Dair camp as Charizard? It's like Dair camping above the opponent as Dedede, but much less effective, haha. :laugh:
I do It to people when they don't know about charizard. then they figure it out and punish accordingly. gotta switch it up on them. I like to Dair the shield then jump behind them with a Bair.

Charizard's Dtilt is freaking amazing btw. Sweetspot kills and sourspot combos.

Rikana

Smash Champion
His dSmash doesn't seem to effective at the moment. I haven't played Charizard before 6.0 but maybe the altered hitstun and such kind of messed it up? I'm sure the set knockback was for combos but they don't really go high enough and the hitstun makes them able to attack before you can even finish the animation of dSmash. I'll reconfirm this later on.

-----

There are just minor things I'd like to know how Charizard players feel about.. if there any that would respond. His nAir animation is way too long in air. It doesn't have much landing lag but it lasts way too long in air to do anything else if you accidentally use nAir by accident. Also, for a character that glides across the stage, I feel that he should be faster on land (running animation). Charizard does seem like a tech chasing kind of character and this will help him with his tech chases.

Everything else seems fine. I'm not trying to make Charizard top tier but rather, I'm trying to get him to feel more like Charizard. Just 3 things about Charizard I kind of dislike: dSmash, nAir, and speed.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Would you call Pikachu a slow character?
Because Charizard is exactly as fast as him on the ground ._.

Going by game stats though, Charizard does have 10 more base speed than Pikachu. So in the perfect world Charizard would be a tiny bit faster than Pikachu. But like Smash follows logic...

Rikana

Smash Champion
Would you call Pikachu a slow character?
Because Charizard is exactly as fast as him on the ground ._.

Going by game stats though, Charizard does have 10 more base speed than Pikachu. So in the perfect world Charizard would be a tiny bit faster than Pikachu. But like Smash follows logic...
Not to disagree with you, but I didn't say Pikachu or Charizard is slow. It just feels appropriate to notch up his speed a bit. I'm kind of yes or a no on playing Charizard extensively because of the things I've listed. I've always wanted to play Charizard.. since I first heard about this project (which was like.. last year's January? I don't remember but the codeset was still in 2.0 or 3.0's), but he never gets much attention. These minor changes would definitely make me play him much much more.

----

Oh, I forgot. His tech roll and getup roll is crap. It covers hardly any distance at all.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
There is going to be a fix regarding his getup roll.
Currently Snake has an infinite on Charizard at the edge with his Dthrow at the edge.
His getup roll gets such little distance that he doesn't even roll past Snake so Snake can grab him again, no matter what he does.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Also, for a character that glides across the stage, I feel that he should be faster on land (running animation). Charizard does seem like a tech chasing kind of character and this will help him with his tech chases.
Wat? He ain't Sonic but Charizard has very fast running speed. Coupled with one of the best non-tether grabs in the game (I'm not sure if his or DDD's is better), it makes him an amazing techchase character. He just doesn't have all that many techchase setups (maybe an idea for dsmash?).

Top Bottom