• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard General Thread

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Would you mind testing out Villager's Balloon mechanic? His Up B move to be exact.
@Sudai will be there too and he is very interested in Villager, I can make sure he tests it for you and gives you details on it. We'll be there together so I'll be able to tell him while we're playing.

Morbi

Scavenger
I have been practicing with Project M Charizard in anticipation for Smash 4; I have been thinking about using Charizard as a main, I have always wanted to do it. I used to hate Brawl Charizard, but I was having a mirror match with my sister and I was doing very well (3 stocked her). It actually inspired me. So I am quite certain that Charizard in Smash 4 will be one of my characters.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Has anyone here wanted to see Charizard playable since 64? I know I did, even though I thought it was a pipe-dream at the time. As a kid, I always wondered why Charizard wasn't playable and yet Jigglypuff, a relatively minor Pokemon, was.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Honestly Mewtwo and/or Charizard should've been in 64 instead of Puff, but oh well. At least he eventually joined up, and now he's on his own like he should've been all along.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
So far this is a preemptive list of what I'll be checking on Smash 4 Charizard, feel free to add anything else you'd like me to check or compare to, from either Brawl or P:M!

1. New down B move

2. Other B special moves

3. Aerials; focus on nair

4. Smash kill percents
(Brawl: vs Fox on FD: fsmash kills at 75%, usmash kills at 88%, dsmash kills at 106%)
(P:M: vs Fox on FD: fsmash kills at 75%, usmash kills at 138%, dsmash kills at 179%)

5. Grab techs and any changes to jumps/weight/movement

Last edited:

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Would you mind testing out Villager's Balloon mechanic? His Up B move to be exact.
As requested. :)

Villiager's recovery is absolutely insane. He can ride his Side-B a battle field length at least and then up with an up-b that puts him off the top of the screen if you use the whole thing from on stage.

Hong

The Strongest
Of all the characters, Charizard is the character I have the most hope for in terms of balance and design.

I think he should be a character who is both super strong and super fast.

If that sounds crazy, one has to first observe Charizard's proportions. With relatively short arms and trunks for legs, he has the worst reach out of any heavyweight character. A very big character that has to get very close. It's not like DK, who extends his already long arms and legs to get the most out of his reach.

Charizard is of course highly mobile and already has some agility compared to other heavier characters, so I don't expect him to be as strong overall as Bowser. That said, I think being respectably fast on the ground, in the air, and with his attacks is perfectly okay. At the very least he still has his nair and stuff to put that big body to his advantage. That Flamethrower range will help to build damage in any event.

Don't know why I care so much. I guess because, while a dragon isn't special, he is super unique compared to the rest of the roster. So much potential, from both a gameplay and aesthetic standpoint, to be something really awesome.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Charizard's attacks do look very promising in how they are buffed; however, I do believe that his Grabs leave too much time for punishment.

Hong

The Strongest
I wonder if Charizard will come out of a Pokeball for his stage entrance.

I think it would be cooler if he came crashing in with an impact, kind of like his reveal trailer. The trailer didn't show Charizard come out of a Pokeball, and I like to think the reason why he is so ferocious and assaulted Mario so brazenly is because he is still wild and untamed.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

I think it would be cooler if he came crashing in with an impact, kind of like his reveal trailer. The trailer didn't show Charizard come out of a Pokeball, and I like to think the reason why he is so ferocious and assaulted Mario so brazenly is because he is still wild and untamed.
I hope he does. I don't want Lucario (and possibly Mewtwo) to be the only Pokemon to come out of a Pokeball in this game.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand

I actually think the fact it mega evolves goes against that, since there needs to be a trainer for a Pokemon to mega evolve.

We don't know Lucario's entrance. Although there's also the possibility of them being OUT of their Pokeball all the time, but I doubt it.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I actually think the fact it mega evolves goes against that, since there needs to be a trainer for a Pokemon to mega evolve.

We don't know Lucario's entrance. Although there's also the possibility of them being OUT of their Pokeball all the time, but I doubt it.
Mewtwo laughs are your requirement for a trainer to mega evolve. :bubblebobble:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Mewtwo laughs are your requirement for a trainer to mega evolve. :bubblebobble:
Mewtwo mega evolved without a trainer?

Wait are you talking about that movie? Never watched it. That goes against the game canon!

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Mewtwo mega evolved without a trainer?

Wait are you talking about that movie? Never watched it. That goes against the game canon!
Yeah I am talking about that new movie...... Mewtwo swapped it's gender to a female because of it's voice though. It was incredibly distracting btw.

Well Sakurai did take inspiration from the anime/movies before (Like Jigglypuff and Lucario [before pokemon X+Y came out]). I wouldn't be surprised if he did it again.

Of course, Mewtwo is a special pokeman, but I haven't looked into pokemon enough to see if some other pokemon are exceptions to the trainer rule.

Of course, maybe that's just because it bothers me to see Pokemon Trainers for anything other than Pokemon Trainer's pokemon. But I still prefer Charizard to be separate from the Pokemon trainer. :bubblebobble:
Yeah, Sir Aaron/Riley is pretty cool, but I generally don't like to see trainers.

Hong

The Strongest
Do you think the developer will feed us at all? Ike and Charizard fans have reason to feel a little hungry.

I have reason to believe there will be a direct in August as another hype builder before the 3DS version ships in Japan come September, and hopefully we will be able to see Charizard (and Ike) in motion.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Do you think the developer will feed us at all? Ike and Charizard fans have reason to feel a little hungry.

I have reason to believe there will be a direct in August as another hype builder before the 3DS version ships in Japan come September, and hopefully we will be able to see Charizard (and Ike) in motion.
We'll get something eventually. I feel that about every character I love.

Still waiting on Wolf+R.O.B. (2 of the 5 characters I was trying to decide between in Brawl [others being Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, and Link]), but I feel like they aren't going to be revealed until after the game is released so I'm going to be panicing about them for a while, even if R.O.B. is basicly gaurunteed due to historical importance. Wolf is one of the more likely characters for the chopping block imo, but then again I thought Lucario was going to go before most but he's here (but this is before I know about his role in X+Y). At least Charizard + Ike are even being shown before the game is out, and Charizard gets a spify new trailer which is something more than some characters characters get. :bubblebobble:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I already played Charizard often, and I'll be glad that she's been buffed, although I'm kind of upset that Ivysaur's gone.

I say "she" because I am convinced that she's ABBBBBK(. That's why she's not with Red anymore.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Charizard has a lot of room for potential buffs, at least in theory. Given his attributes in the Pokemon games, he should be a lot faster, have more disjointed hitboxes and a better recovery in smash 4. Either way, I'll most likely end up playing him one way or another. If he's high- or top-tier I might just use him as my main character in tourneys [though I still have hopes for Shulk making an appearance!], if he's mid- or low-tier I will use him in side-events or MMs. I'm definitely looking ahead for september 13th - that's the date the game will be available in Japan and I'll take a close look at Lizardon!

:4charizard:

:059:

D

Deleted member

Maybe this time Charizard will be faster than Pikachu? In Brawl he was only so slightly faster it barely made a difference.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
If we're going with stats then in competitive Pokemon a base 100 speed isn't exactly the fastest especially in OU. Charizard is really used for his powerful attack or special attack (and that's really more because of his megas, nobody uses normal Charizard) and not his speed unless it's a Dragon Dance set. Maybe a bit faster than Brawl but not a lot.

Last edited:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Highly doubt base stats are taken into consideration when the developers assess Pokemon characters attributes and mechanics (or in this case their speed).

If this were the case Mewtwo would have been an absolute speed demon in Melee... For a reference point Pikachu has the 5th fastest running speed in the game while Mewtwo is all the way at 17th, which of course makes no sense in the context of the Pokkemon universe since Mewtwo has a whopping 40 extra points on Pikachu in the Speed department.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm really excited to try out Charizard in Smash 4.

In all honesty he probably deserved to be solo this whole time.
He was easily the star of the show for Pokemon Trainer.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
All this silly talk about Pokemon speed stats! I was simply saying that the fact that Charizard isn't actually a slow Pokemon by any stretch of the imagination allows for a potential, not unreasonable buff in smash 4. I'm not saying that Zard should be as quick or agile as Pikachu lol

Veggi

Smash Champion
Are we talking about dash speed or a combination of attack speed and dash speed? The Pokemon series doesn't exactly explain exactly what it means, but I believe it's just like saying "For one reason or another, this Pokemon would probably get an attack off on the opponent before the opponent hits them." As far as dash speed, Brawl has it generally correct because Pikachu and Charizard have close to even speed in the games. However, Pikachu in Brawl is considered faster because his attack speed is faster. I would agree that in the next game Charizard should either dash faster, have a much faster air speed, or have faster attack speed to make it more believable that he has the same speed as Pikachu. IMO Charizard should dash faster and have a MUCH faster air speed than he does in Brawl.

A lot of it is mostly guessing though so I'm mostly satisfied that they gave Charizard a good dash speed. Lucario has the same speed as Pikachu but he's slower at everything.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I'm mainly referring the attack speed. His dash speed wasn't actually that bad in Brawl I think.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
We still haven't seen Charizard's Up Aerial yet, have we? If the gliding mechanic is completely gone, then he needs to have a better recovery if he's going to remain decent.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Has anyone seen Charizard's dash attack in this game yet (couldn't find it in the moveset analysis thread)? If not, what would you guys think about replacing his old dash attack from Brawl (The kick) with something similar to his old glide attack, given that the running animation and the gliding one are very similar? In terms of moveset changes this is an idea I think could be quite cool, alongside obvious ones such as Seismic Toss U-Throw.

On a side note I haven't posted here before but am a big Charizard fan and the Solo Charizard announcement got me more excited than most of the veterans so far. I didn't play PT in Brawl but have high hopes for Charizard in this one, both due to the removal of PTs mechanics and potential buffs in speed etc.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I think that having an altered glide attack as his dash attack would be pretty cool. I'd like to see more fire moves as well. I'm glad he got flare blitz, even if he did get a new non-fire fair.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
More than anything I'm just glad he's no longer going to be held back by the stamina mechanic (and Ivysaur).
In all honesty, Charizard isn't held back more by Ivysaur than by itself in Brawl. Being solo and without stamina by itself isn't an actual buff.

Last edited:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
In all honesty, Charizard isn't held back more by Ivysaur than by itself in Brawl. Being solo and without stamina by itself isn't an actual buff.

Considering how much better my Zard was than the other 2 I'd personally consider it a buff. I always felt my Squirtle and especially Ivy held me back from performing as well as I could have had I not been forced to switch between the 3.

However I'm mostly talking out of my ass here since I've never even competed in a Brawl tourney. I'm a Melee guy.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
I actually felt quite comfortable with both Ivysaur and Charizard by themselves in Brawl, but Squirtle was absolutely horrible. When I play Pokemon Trainer, I usually just try to switch between Ivy and Charizard and play as Squirtle for as little as possible.

That said, I won't really miss Pokemon Trainer very much at all and I'm very happy with Charizard's new moveset.

D

Deleted member

Charizard still has Rock Smash. Kill stage bosses in 2 hits!

Aquachu

Smash Rookie
Finally they got it right after 15 years and four games!

Pokemon Trainer probably took advice from Ash in the anime and set Charizard free. I think that's for the best.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
My problem with the stamina system was it did not reward you for switching frequently, but instead penalized you if you didn't.

It would be one thing if the Pokemon had a clear statistical advantage over other fighters at full stamina, but instead they were merely comparable. After you run out of stamina, they are needlessly dampened.

Last edited:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Went through the new Robin trailer to see if I could find anything Zard related... All I found was Zard getting hit by Robin's Thoron attack. :(

BUT Robin's newcomer poster at least features Zard in it, which is cool since he has now been featured in 2 separate posters.

The differences in design are interesting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom