• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard General Thread

Hong

The Strongest
^~^ The same guy who did the art work for Awakening. I wish it looked as good in Awakening as it does in that piece.

I agree that Charizard sure stands out for a background character.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I really liked how Charizard appeared in not one, but two official illustrations for newcomers so far.

However, I'm still disappointed that we haven't seen much of him since after the Direct. I guess it's understandable if he still has most of his moveset from Brawl intact.

Reginleif

Smash Ace
I really love Charizard as a character but in Brawl it was kind of like playing a slower Bowser. I hope they fix this and really buff him!

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I''m probably gonna play him more so this time around, granted I don't see myself not maining Lucario but still I've always liked Charizard when I played PT.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I really love the new Charizard colors. Zard was always my favorite pokemon from PT... I want to see his new up throw and see what he can do in general. This forum is super dead :(

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Forum is dead because we haven't been receiving significant updates like other characters.I imagine things will pick up now since the game is out.

Last edited:

Spirst

Forum is dead because we haven't been receiving significant updates like other characters.I imagine things will pick up now since the game is out.
I hope so. I'm really eager to hear how he stands on his own. I'm hoping he has some pretty significant buffs to his moveset in comparison to his PT counterpart in Brawl. I was a PT main and Charizard definitely had some weaknesses that I'm hoping have been worked on since then. I'm a bit surprised he's not a more popular character considering his popularity in Pokemon. I suppose everyone is too busy with the newcomers though.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Thanks for this.
By the way, there's an embed media button next to the image button on the top editor. Here, let me do it.

Oh, derp. How did I miss THAT?! Oh well, appreciated. On that note, I found another....even though the Mario is pretty bad.

Spirst

Oh, derp. How did I miss THAT?! Oh well, appreciated. On that note, I found another....even though the Mario is pretty bad.
Haha, it happens. Hmm, Charizard seems pretty formidable. Still not sure whether I prefer his old f-air or this one though. I'll have to see more gameplay to make a decision. I'm really loving his throws now though.

Also, holy crap, Ganondorf looks exactly the same.

Last edited:

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
It sucks he has landing lag on ALL his aerials. Every character should have at least one auto cancelled aerial :(

Anyway, it doesn't matter to me. Charizard has more attitude this time around AND I LIKE IT!

Hair flip forward smash? Idgaf Flare Blitz? Sign me up!

Spirst

It sucks he has landing lag on ALL his aerials. Every character should have at least one auto cancelled aerial :(

Anyway, it doesn't matter to me. Charizard has more attitude this time around AND I LIKE IT!

Hair flip forward smash? Idgaf Flare Blitz? Sign me up!
He can still do stuff like a shorthopped n-air though with minimal landing lag if done when the jump is rising, right? I remember that being useful in Brawl.

Charizard definitely has more attitude this time around. He looks more powerful (especially his grabs with that knockback) and I love his cocky smile he exhibits.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
He can still do stuff like a shorthopped n-air though with minimal landing lag if done when the jump is rising, right? I remember that being useful in Brawl.

Charizard definitely has more attitude this time around. He looks more powerful (especially his grabs with that knockback) and I love his cocky smile he exhibits.
Don't quite remember Charizards nair landing lag, he wasn't played often which was disappointing. But I can confirm that he can't follow up anything with short hop aerials. He may be limited to a wait n bait playstyle.

Heroofhatz

Smash Journeyman
Don't quite remember Charizards nair landing lag, he wasn't played often which was disappointing. But I can confirm that he can't follow up anything with short hop aerials. He may be limited to a wait n bait playstyle.
Short hop RAR Nair may work at bit like PM though, could possibly be a useful zoning tool. But in general it will probably be a heavy ground based game, lots of tilts (which is are not bad in the least) and grabs.

More than likely though he'll have a really offstage game, Bair is super powerful and Nair has obscene range and is decently disjointed.

However, does anyone know anything about Zard's alt specials? I haven't been able to find anything yet :/

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm loving his new aerials.

mcnichoj

Smash Apprentice
All his attacks have such great knockback it shouldn't really matter.

Haven't been posting in here but I have been playing him a TON.
Not much to discuss, he's a very solid character.
The only time any of his moves are unsafe is if they get blocked and I feel like that's how it is for most moves regardless of character anyway.
Flamethrower feels like it was nerfed, not that it was a great move to begin with.
Flare Blitz is a great kill move but you can see it a mile away and block it, not to mention it hurts you so it should only be used when you're 100%+ or you know you'll get the kill.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
All his attacks have such great knockback it shouldn't really matter.

Haven't been posting in here but I have been playing him a TON.
Not much to discuss, he's a very solid character.
The only time any of his moves are unsafe is if they get blocked and I feel like that's how it is for most moves regardless of character anyway.
Flamethrower feels like it was nerfed, not that it was a great move to begin with.
Flare Blitz is a great kill move but you can see it a mile away and block it, not to mention it hurts you so it should only be used when you're 100%+ or you know you'll get the kill.
I'm sure when the Wii U version comes out and we can do fade away aerials more reliably he'l be much safer.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Seeing as Doc Louis cameos in Little Mac's victory animation and Chrom cameos in one of Robin's animations, I don't see why PT couldn't cameo in Charizard's. It's a shame he doesn't.

Last edited:

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Seeing as Doc Louis cameos in Little Mac's victory animation and Chrom cameos in one of Robin's animations, I don't see why PT couldn't cameo in Charizard's. It's a shame he doesn't.
Cuz this Charizard still chills in the grass.

Spirst

Cuz this Charizard still chills in the grass.
He comes out of a pokeball for his entry animation though.

Anyway, how many of you here were PT mains back in the Brawl days? Is there more people here that flocked to Charizard just because he's solo or are more of the people here former PT mains?

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915

Anyway, how many of you here were PT mains back in the Brawl days? Is there more people here that flocked to Charizard just because he's solo or are more of the people here former PT mains?
.....Okay. You got me. I'm in it because solo Zard. :p
I did play PT alittle in Brawl, but I PERSONALLY preferred P:M Zard.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
I played Trainer sometimes, but only to play as Charizard. The stupid Stamina mechanic always threw me off though. Also, Charizard just looked really...off, in Brawl. Head was too big, wings were too small. He looks perfect here, though.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731

I was a big Poke Trainer main. I'll probably still regularly go back to brawl for that very reason, depute wanting to drop it completely when Smash 4 was announced.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
I'm in it from PM Charizard. The PT mechanics made me shy away from using him at all in Brawl, even as a secondary. However, solo Charizard in PM was amazing, and quite honestly got me hooked. Now that he's in Smash 4 I can happily tout him as a canon secondary instead of only on a Brawl hack.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I mained Pokémon Trainer in Brawl, but I mostly played as Squirtle. However, I played as all of them almost equally.

P:M, I mained Charizard.

mcnichoj

Smash Apprentice
I mostly played Trainer for Charizard, a little bit for Ivy. Didn't care for Squirtle.
The change of Rock Smash from side to down threw me off a bit when I first started playing this.

Not sure if anyone watched the stream where M2K was playing PB&J but M2K was REALLY digging Charizard. He said multiple times that he was good.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Former pt main here.Main motivation for playing trainer was solely for zard,but since I was forced to learned the other two.i ended up playing them all equally.

I wasn't able to try out PM zard, so sm4sh zard being reminiscent to that makes me excited to test him out.also,welcome back rock smash.It was my favorite move to abused.:p

Last edited:

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
He seems to be the most overlooked character on the roster - I know even pokemon fans are tired of him but charizard was my mon back in the middle school gameboy pocket days

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
I know even pokemon fans are tired of him
Nope. Pokemon fan here, can confirm.

I have always loved Charizard, and Charmander was my very first starter Pokemon of my life in the original Red version. In Fire Red my Charizard was one of my main team members and Mega Charizard X made him skyrocket to my second favorite Pokemon of all.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
So, I keep hearing mixed reviews about Charizard. I hear his aerials are laggy but his power is increased. Rock Smash looks extremely laggy now but I can't really tell. His Nair looks better and so does Fair as well as his Smash Attacks. I really want to main my favorite Pokémon so I hope that he's at least somewhat viable.

Heroofhatz

Smash Journeyman
PM Nair was much better, but it is much improved from Brawl. In addition, flare blitz is going to be an amazing move, I'm almost certain he will be at least a mid tier if not high tier character.

Top Bottom